Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

well, fall has come so I turned on the heat in my shop for the cold season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Updated the build sheets for my SRB projects - I'm about 80% sorted on the parts front now, with a Scorcher body set being the most pricey item still to acquire.

Ordered more hardware, at least M2 x 8, M2 x 10, M3 x 18, M3 x 20 and M3 x 25 bolts are cheap :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aleblanc said:

well, fall has come so I turned on the heat in my shop for the cold season.

Thought you Canadians were almost immune from the cold ?

Reminded me of this : 

50 Fahrenheit (10 C)
Californians shiver uncontrollably
Canadians plant gardens.

35 Fahrenheit (1.6 C)
Italian cars won't start
Canadians drive with the windows down.

32 Fahrenheit (0 C)
American water freezes
Canadian water gets thicker.

0 Fahrenheit (-17.8 C)
New York City landlords finally turn on the heat
Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-60 Fahrenheit (-51 C)
Mt. St. Helens freezes
Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-100 Fahrenheit (-73 C)
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole
Canadians pull down their ear flaps

-173 Fahrenheit (-114 C)
Ethyl alcohol freezes
Canadians get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

-460 Fahrenheit (-273 C)
Absolute zero: all atomic motion stops
Canadians start saying "Cold, eh?"

-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)
badword freezes over
Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Removed the original Rough Rider shell from its bag of oven cleaner, rinsed off and a light wet sand with 400 grit wet n dry - primer before the weekend hopefully; mudt remember to do all the ancillary parts too :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, svenb said:

What chassis are you thinking of?

Is the body pre-drilled?

I might go with a TT02 Type S but I've been looking at a TA05v2 and TB04 as well.  I'd like a TA07 but can't justify the expense.

The body isn't pre-drilled.  No light buckets though, otherwise I'd go all out on an LED kit and interior.

12 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Woah! That’s a lot of decals. This will delay that build thread...

I stopped looking for the total number of decals at 106.  I might be tempted to chicken out, just paint it bright orange, and slap it on a drift chassis.  :D

On 10/1/2017 at 3:14 PM, nowinaminute said:

I've been pottering along with a Nikko Dictator restoration on and off for the past few weeks.

It's not going to be one of those pristine factory perfect deals, I don't have the expertise or patience but I was confident I could make it look nice enough to be worth having on the shelf and run well enough for the occasional outing.

It was very neglected when I got it, it had been run at the beach and not washed off, lots or rust and dirt and missing parts.

f1GLxUr.jpg

The gearboxes had the usual 30 year old yellow gunge inside.

Gp5DOjF.jpg

A cheap ultrasonic cleaner and your everyday "multi surface cleaner" made short work of the grease and I installed bearings before rebuilding the boxes.

LmmpwE2.jpg

Nearly every metal component was rusted, they were never going to look shiny again so they went in the ultrasonic cleaner too, with white vinegar this time. Doing this eats away the rust but also tends to give the metal a "black rust" coating anywhere there was damage which actually protects the metal from further corrosion. Most of those screws were completely orange before being treated.

jRERNtm.jpg

The rear motor had the worst of the rust damage by far.

Jp7Ao5n.jpg

By the time the vinegar had done it's job the casing somewhat resembled the surface of the moon!

Gs1gjNt.jpg

But miraculously it came back to life!

I'm not sure if I'll actually use these motors again but it was satisfying to get it working again either way!

As it stands the electronics and motors need to be refitted and a few missing parts replaced but she's looking much better, there's a couple of grazes that need sanding down and crack under the rear wing which I'll try and glue together tightly to hide the line but otherwise I think she will look pretty good on the shelf unless you press your face up to it!

jvh3INa.jpg

Wow, that looks great, better than any I have seen before. I am going to have to get myself an ultrasonic cleaner AND I am going to have to get your recipe book for cleaning bits with it.

On 10/3/2017 at 1:14 PM, Vrdetailing said:

Tamiya

Tamiya

Tamiya

apologies been playing with how to host images using flikr

LOVE the room and HEY, you got a QD Monster Beetle. I dig the shelving against the brick, very interior decorator of you. I have to admit, I was almost crosseyed earlier today looking at the 3 lane racetrack trying to figure out just how the lanes switched, but more importantly WHERE they switched. Not much better here on the big computer, but hey, maybe that is just a sign I need to come over for some racing on that track in your man cave.

On 10/3/2017 at 4:55 PM, svenb said:

Finished the decals on the Alfa

cockpit sets do nothing for me but tyre decals! yes😀

IMG_20171003_224548.jpg

I agree TIRE DECALS are way much more cooler than haveing to deal with an interior as well as painting it.

Lol . The track has two separate tracks in one. Custom modified by me . One track is for fast cars that can make the loop. The other is slower . The crossover is at the bridge . 

Technically late last night or early this am.....

took apart and washed off my F10rs and Mad fighters... here's a pic of the mad fighter

IMG_3177_zpsg5ljo15v.jpg

since the F103rs was restored to its former glory.... so torn between listing selling or keeping this one.

IMG_3178_zpsuhzo4xfr.jpg

IMG_3180_zpsxp4pra3w.jpg

• Like 1

Ordered a M-03 Suzuki Swift from Tamico. So did two of my colleagues, so we'll have another class in our little workplace racing league soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I replaced the front turnbuckles on my TRF 211 with a set of Lunsford Punisher Titanium jobbers.  Hopefully, these won't snap in two like the stock Tamiya one did when a jack-hole pushed me into the lane barrier during practice.  PRACTICE no less!

10.05.2017-15.48.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Ordered a M-03 Suzuki Swift from Tamico. So did two of my colleagues, so well have another class in our little workplace racing league soon!

fantastic price - can't go wrong !

Still waiting for my first kit :( from germany hopefully will come soon.

Put a lb up for sale

Updated midnight pumpkin with 2.4ghz receiver & transmitter I got off Facebook for £10!

Worked up the courage to mention to my wife that I was perhaps considering racing indoor offroad. She said she I didn't need permission so I stopped talking.

Just ordered the TRF102 Black Edition from RCJaz, first time using them, hope they are good. 2 more orders to place, one with Hobbyking and another with RCMart but will do those on Sunday. She also didn't seem to mind about the budget so looks like I'll be getting Speed Passion not Trackstar esc and motors.

On holiday with my whole family this weekend, both my parents turn 70 this year so they have taken us all away for a weekend. At least i'll be in a good mood all weekend despite spending it with family!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Worked up the courage to mention to my wife that I was perhaps considering racing indoor offroad. She said she I didn't need permission so I stopped talking.

Just ordered the TRF102 Black Edition from RCJaz, first time using them, hope they are good. 2 more orders to place, one with Hobbyking and another with RCMart but will do those on Sunday. She also didn't seem to mind about the budget so looks like I'll be getting Speed Passion not Trackstar esc and motors.

On holiday with my whole family this weekend, both my parents turn 70 this year so they have taken us all away for a weekend. At least i'll be in a good mood all weekend despite spending it with family!

Who's a brave boy then!!!!

And clever to know when to shut up... pick your battles my son, pick your battles. Enjoy the weekend with the folks, sounds like a great family holiday :)

Been doing a bit of tidying up tonight and shifting kits around to get the Juggernaut on display..

• Like 2

37290036800_867f5b38a4_b.jpg

took the pumpin off the wall for a drive 

36878923373_edefb6b708_b.jpg

gave the madblaster a clean before inspecting it 

Laid fresh plastic primer on an original rough rider , spotlight buckets and roof.

added some items for sale section

Ordered the rest of my onroad racing gear to go with the TRF102 I ordered on Friday.  So a TA07 and a couple of Trackstar low profile servos from Hobbyking

These servos, the specs look good and they are the a third of the price of Savox with very similar specs

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-ts-d99x-digital-1-10-scale-touring-drift-buggy-steering-servo-10kg-0-08sec-45g.html

Then another order from RCMart, I went with Speed Passion ESC and Motor

http://www.rcmart.com/reventon-brushless-competition-series-215r-p-37834.html?cPath=1560_1301

And a body for each, and some rubber tyres for the kit wheels for the TA07.  I couldn't work out the F1 wheels and tyres so bought nothing for it.

I have just remembered that I will need pinions and meant to add those to the RCMart order, but will have to order them later.  Its probably better to wait anyway to make sure I get the gearing right

It worked out pretty well despite going for the more expensive ESC and Motors, other than shipping, man RCMart sting you on shipping.  Hobbyking wasn't much better but still less than half the cost

I hope the stars align and it all arrives together so I can post one big order in the "The Postman Brought Me" thread.  Actually, it doesn't matter, I can just say it all came at once (as long as the photo doesn't show all the opened boxes as I couldn't help myself!)

• Like 2

Nice ordering Jonathon, that's showing us how to do it! That TRF102 looks a nice kit and unlike my F103GT you won't need to chop the ears of those new servo's either!

Late last night I got the bruses out and against my better judgement  I painted a cheap clear lexan cockpit for a 1/10 rally car (undecided which shell to fit in), it's pretty poor that the steering wheel doesn't quite fit into the drivers hands, the wheel is too big! And the decals it came with are paper thin useless and tacky so I used some drift ones instead.... and managed to use up a last quarter can of Mustard yellow paint for the helmet, steering wheel and fire extinguisher.

p1F7qJY.jpg

icFMWl0.jpg

DMfYgCq.jpg

Not my best paint jobs but this will be hidden inside a shell!

rLAbHEi.jpg

Plus a rather rushed job on an esc cover for my Thundershot rebuild

4LNkN6i.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Helped a mate's wife choose a birthday present for him. He doesn't know it yet, but thanks to Tamico's deal of the week, he's soon going to be able to join our M-03 workplace race league. :)

• Like 2