Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Nice ordering Jonathon, that's showing us how to do it! That TRF102 looks a nice kit and unlike my F103GT you won't need to chop the ears of those new servo's either!

Late last night I got the bruses out and against my better judgement  I painted a cheap clear lexan cockpit for a 1/10 rally car (undecided which shell to fit in), it's pretty poor that the steering wheel doesn't quite fit into the drivers hands, the wheel is too big! And the decals it came with are paper thin useless and tacky so I used some drift ones instead.... and managed to use up a last quarter can of Mustard yellow paint for the helmet, steering wheel and fire extinguisher.

p1F7qJY.jpg

icFMWl0.jpg

DMfYgCq.jpg

Not my best paint jobs but this will be hidden inside a shell!

rLAbHEi.jpg

Plus a rather rushed job on an esc cover for my Thundershot rebuild

4LNkN6i.jpg

That looks great to me, it always amazes me how people can produce that (i don't think for a second i could) and then still say its only ok!

I missed a few things on my order too, I had asked Effigy for his thoughts so meantbto order the alloy A5 pulley, also Gooneybird said the sway bar kits are worthwhile too. Forgot that as well. Effigy also said the alloy suspension blocks but there are too many choices, I couldn't work out which was best and at USD$20ish a time i didn't want to use trial and error...

• Like 1

Nice job on the painting.

Been painting myself; silver coat on the rough rider shell plus two coats of clear.  Just wet sanded with 1200 grit so off to fire more clear now

6 hours ago, bjorklo said:

Bought myself a NIB Terra Conqueror. 

A build thread and in the Builds section would be nice? Only as I've got a trashed Thundershot I need to rebuild at some point ;)

Those NIB kits are pretty rare right?

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

That looks great to me, it always amazes me how people can produce that (i don't think for a second i could) and then still say its only ok!

I missed a few things on my order too, I had asked Effigy for his thoughts so meantbto order the alloy A5 pulley, also Gooneybird said the sway bar kits are worthwhile too. Forgot that as well. Effigy also said the alloy suspension blocks but there are too many choices, I couldn't work out which was best and at USD$20ish a time i didn't want to use trial and error...

Thanks it's an ok job ;)

I always forget to order bits when making orders, costs me more in postage and frustration but it'll keep happening so don't sweat it. Can't wait to see the F1 car during the build process... especially to physically see how you adjust the ride height at the front as I'm so lazy to attempt mine I might end up waiting it out cheekily ;) 

• Like 1

Had nothing to do today and the weather was dry so I took a succession of vehicles down to the carpark near my house for a bash.

I drove my recently acquired DT-03 Neo Fighter, this car handles so smoothly you'd think it wouldn't be fun but it really is, very easy to drive flat out.

I had another go with my Boomerang. It currently has a hybrid motor made from a 13T Yokomo core inside a Reedy (i think) can. Goes like the clappers! Also quite easy to drive fast thanks to the 4wd predictability.

My brushless Monster Beetle QD, it's a little tip prone on concrete and tarmac but once it's on dirt and grass it's fun for days! I'd love to get some mini yellow CVA shocks for it.

But I had the most fun with my hobby converted Radio Shack Extreme Machine aka Nikko Hercules/Hawg/Thor etc. 

I've just installed oil dampers from hobbyease which work pretty well. It really needs lighter springs at the back though, the solid axle design needs all the help it can get to actually articulate whilst under power. The double wishbone front works pretty nicely during those rare occasions the front wheels are actually on the ground! The rear is too bouncy though, need much softer springs.

I only tried the 20T Trinity motor for a laugh at first but I've grown to love it. The chasiss can barely keep up even with the oil dampers but it does look great bouncing over tarmac like a real old school monster truck.

I think some weight in the front to replace the missing motor might make it a little more civilised and it needs softer springs at the back, it no longer has the weight of the hard body shell or an old nicad pack acting on the suspension so the wheels tend to leave the ground before the rear shocks will actually articulate.

I'm not sure how much I actually want to do to improve the ride though, it's so much fun like it is! It's like fairly decent handling front end grafted onto a badly handling rear end and they are always fighting.

• Like 2

Had our first troubles with my lads Mad Bull today.

First off it seemed to be lacking drive. I noticed the left rear wheel was a bit loose, so I thought it had stripped the splines in the drive hex.

On inspection the hex was fine and I was a bit stumped until I noticed the wheels slipping in the tyres. Found a couple of rubber bands and slipped them over the inside tyre grooves on the wheels. That worked a treat.

A little while later a similar thing happened. No drive. I thought something had gone awry inside the gearbox.

But, I again found the left rear was loose. This time the hex splines had stripped.

Fortunately my old Avante 2001 used the same hexes and, seeing as that is in no condition to be running, one was borrowed for the Mad Bull.

Some new hexes and wheel nuts are on the way. Hopefully they'll stop it happening again.

14 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

Had our first troubles with my lads Mad Bull today.

First off it seemed to be lacking drive. I noticed the left rear wheel was a bit loose, so I thought it had stripped the splines in the drive hex.

On inspection the hex was fine and I was a bit stumped until I noticed the wheels slipping in the tyres. Found a couple of rubber bands and slipped them over the inside tyre grooves on the wheels. That worked a treat.

A little while later a similar thing happened. No drive. I thought something had gone awry inside the gearbox.

But, I again found the left rear was loose. This time the hex splines had stripped.

Fortunately my old Avante 2001 used the same hexes and, seeing as that is in no condition to be running, one was borrowed for the Mad Bull.

Some new hexes and wheel nuts are on the way. Hopefully they'll stop it happening again.

I thread lock the hexes, seems to help stop stripping 

Yay for the Tamiya Silvercan motor working in the Feiyue!! Took some shoeing in. also fitted a standard servo, Lunchbox servo saver, and some quality plating on the chassis. It's pretty good right now! Pics to follow...

7 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

A build thread and in the Builds section would be nice? Only as I've got a trashed Thundershot I need to rebuild at some point ;)

Those NIB kits are pretty rare right?

Sorry, there will not be any build thread for this one as it will stay NIB. 

Yes they are pretty rare, but they tend to pop up once in a while, and this time i managed to pull the trigger before someone else did 🙂

• Like 1

I started my DT-03 Neo Fighter yesterday! Will do a build thread later today!

• Like 2

I bought my wife wine and chocloate and then talked about my recent orders and how I had decided to buy some better bits so it may cost a bit more than I originally 'thought'. Then went on to tell her I 'saved' money by buying cheaper servos for these cars.

I shouldn't have worried, when I told her the ESC/motor combo was USD$319 to then be able to say I saved USD$180 per set she made a mocking shocked face.

Should have bought Team Orion

6 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I bought my wife wine and chocloate and then talked about my recent orders and how I had decided to buy some better bits so it may cost a bit more than I originally 'thought'. Then went on to tell her I 'saved' money by buying cheaper servos for these cars.

I shouldn't have worried, when I told her the ESC/motor combo was USD$319 to then be able to say I saved USD$180 per set she made a mocking shocked face.

Should have bought Team Orion

You just know she is running a spreadsheet, keeping track of everything.

At some point in the future you'll hear "I've just spent X on Y and you can't argue because it's less than the Z you've spent on toy cars" 

I think you've walked into a trap mate :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

You just know she is running a spreadsheet, keeping track of everything.

At some point in the future you'll hear "I've just spent X on Y and you can't argue because it's less than the Z you've spent on toy cars" 

I think you've walked into a trap mate :)

I know thats what it looks like, but I really don't think she cares. I've rolled th3 dice so many times over the years - you should just go buy new clothes/shoes etc - but she hates shopping. The only way she could compete by spending more is if she buys a boat or trades her Mirage on a 911, and both of those are ok by me!

6 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The only way she could compete by spending more is if she buys a boat or trades her Mirage on a 911, and both of those are ok by me!

My wife has gone for , new bathroom AND a new kitchen (rc cars and 1:1car argument settlement 🙄) and beginning to think a 911 would have been the cheaper option! 

• Like 1

You guys got it rough. My girlfriend is satisfied when I fix the RC cars she breaks, so she can inevitably break them again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

My wife has gone for , new bathroom AND a new kitchen (rc cars and 1:1car argument settlement 🙄) and beginning to think a 911 would have been the cheaper option! 

Luckily we have been through that and decided it isn't worth spending the money on this house, but I had forgotten that we can spend an extra $400k for the same house and land but be 300m down the road on the waterfront...**** thats a 911 turbo

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Luckily we have been through that and decided it isn't worth spending the money on this house, but I had forgotten that we can spend an extra $400k for the same house and land but be 300m down the road on the waterfront...**** thats a 911 turbo

We couldn't be further away from the coast! Lol 

Far out in the sticks it's cheap as, you can get your own island off the north coast for less than $400k 🤔😁

• Like 1

Liking the look of the mud blaster restoration

36888668314_92644f98ac_b.jpg

37566991312_8b871f31c1_b.jpg

37599183701_f519b295ff_b.jpg

Also do I’m wondering if the old Futaba radio gear, msc and resistors are of any use to people on here as I’m going 2.4 and esc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Made a start on a CLK GTR Merc.

Best bit when painting - pulling the protective film off😀

IMG_20171009_202029.jpg

• Like 4

Wet sanded and started to polish the freshly painted '79 Rough Rider body..

IMG_8709.jpg

IMG_8712.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

IMG_8716.jpg

bit more polishing before the decals :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

We couldn't be further away from the coast! Lol 

Far out in the sticks it's cheap as, you can get your own island off the north coast for less than $400k 🤔😁

That would be amazing, you should do it, your own island. We tried to sell and move to a small village a couple of hours north but it didn't work out. We'll get there one day...

6 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

That would be amazing, you should do it, your own island.

RC Island 😁 👍

Less than $2 from each member!! 

I'm not sure if you can make your own laws, zero import duty on rc parts? 

https://www.privateislandsonline.com/europe/ireland/inishbigger-island

So, what have you done today? Bought an island and built the best rc facility in the world 😂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

That has peat, rc and whisky!

I'm not sure RC driving and whiskey (it's in Ireland) would go hand in hand, although, sometimes with my driving, it would maybe improve! 😂