Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Getting this fella ready for Xmas (going to semi assemble it then finish it off with my daughter for a compromise between build experience and being able to use it quickly.)

HJK36ov.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

One of my batteries is puffing a bit though, not impressed. Was bought new about 9 months ago and probably done about 40 cycles. Its Team Orion so should be top quality and I have looked after it too, not gone below 7.4v and storage charge it. The only bad thing i do is charge them the night before a race meet so leave them charged for 12 hours.  It will be fine for a while yet but planted the seed about needing new ones 'sometime'.

I've had great luck with Duratrax Onyx batteries in my bashers and son's SCT race rigs.  I've gone to Gens Ace batteries in my TRF 211 because I'm using saddle packs which Duratrax doesn't manufacture (to my knowledge).  The Trinity saddles I bought lasted all of 3 races before they puffed up like a balloon.  So far, the Gens Ace ones are holding up well.

"Disguised" my basher rocksta by sticking the body from my old micro sct to it with a couple of bits of velcro. Mrs SCN has seen the micro sct dozens of times before and hopefully she won't notice that it is in fact a new car.

5xMzWX.jpg

• Haha 3

Also managed to get a bit of work done on the body for my orlandoo hunter. Once I get the side windows tinted, the interior painted black and the trim parts fitted it should be just about ready to hit the trails (well living room carpet) 

oSWvIY.jpg

17 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Nope. I was expecting some technical name of some hard to find stuff that I had never heard of. That's why it hit me as funny.  

It works really well.  It bonds stuff strongly but you can also remove it with a little effort without damaging anything.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Supercoolnothing said:

"Disguised" my basher rocksta by sticking the body from my old micro sct to it with a couple of bits of velcro. Mrs SCN has seen the micro sct dozens of times before and hopefully she won't notice that it is in fact a new car.

5xMzWX.jpg

Great idea!

3 hours ago, Effigy3 said:

I've had great luck with Duratrax Onyx batteries in my bashers and son's SCT race rigs.  I've gone to Gens Ace batteries in my TRF 211 because I'm using saddle packs which Duratrax doesn't manufacture (to my knowledge).  The Trinity saddles I bought lasted all of 3 races before they puffed up like a balloon.  So far, the Gens Ace ones are holding up well.

Thanks i will try gens ace next. I have never seen duratex down here (although I have seen onyx nimh, are they the same brand?) but gens ace would be the most popular overall. They are cheaper too, but I suspect they aren't even more popular as they have honest c ratings of around 50.

On the other hand i suppose its not that bad having to buy new batteries every year, no hobby is cheap and if thats all it costs then its not too bad.

Earlier this evening I set about cleaning my M-03 after our little rally outing the other night. GT-85 on the metal parts, a good brushing with a soft paintbrush to remove dust and the odd dried mud spatter from the plastics, followed by a wipe over with a soft cloth and some mild furniture polish, and it looks good as new! :)

Well, the chassis does. Can't say the same about the shell unfortunately - it has picked up a few cracks. Glass reinforced tape is holding it together and it is still quite serviceable, but it is certainly no longer a shelfer...

I was quite surprised at how easily it cracked really - my F1 shell has seen far more use, and is still in better condition. Perhaps it was the cold making it more brittle? We were racing on ice.

just finished built and installing electronics

it is a fun built.

had the correct ball bearings... had them replaced. now just need to find the correct size lipo! 

t31.jpeg

t32.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13.12.2017 at 12:01 AM, Percymon said:

Not my best effort, but i sort of lost interest when the paint came out a bit lighter than i'd wanted

Try to put a layer of black paint behind the red. Should make it darker.

I was against the clock all week finishing this build, but thankfully i got it finished yesterday lunchtime, boxed , wrapped and given away to a very happy recipient in the evening..

B84_FCAB9-21_AC-4_AFA-97_FB-_B9_C7_AFF6_

AB76_BF79-1_F50-4900-9_C66-1_CFF784_E34_

11_EA3_CF0-1_A7_A-4_C61-_BE12-33_EA396_B

49502_F39-_CD7_E-457_B-9_C34-_BE078_B4_F

• Like 2

I would be pretty happy to get one of those. I would like to find an affordable bodyset at least, seems they are not out there very cheap at all. This set of photos does remind me of the latest color Hot Wheels has thrown on the same car this year, but they chose to use Matte finish. Nice work

Looks great! Sorely tempted to get one of those shells for my M-03 since my Suzuki Swift shell took a battering last week.

For runner purposes the matrixline shell is pretty good, and 20% less than the Tamiya equivalent

Upgraded the CC-01 rear links with JunFac J100210 4-link suspension kit.  I now have a superfluous skid plate.  :/  While I had the rear end apart, I went ahead and upgraded the stock driveshaft with the JunFac J90027 Hardened Universal shaft kit.

12.17.2017-17.19.png

• Like 1

Swapped the F103 front end onto the TRF102 for more width and it allows me to fit the wider F103 front wheels too.

Also did some tinkering on the TA07 and swapped the wheel hexes to aluminum (no idea why the kit comes with plastic), swapped springs to extra stiff up front and stiff at the rear (as per Qatmax advice) and fitted a cooling fan. I hope I haven't cooked the motor already, it was smelling pretty hot at the last racemeet. Next duties for the TA07 is some speed runs over the christmas break so when the 21.5T motor is out I will reduce the timing. I will probably need a cooling fan for the ESC for the speed runs too, 5.5T motor will probably put a bit more load on it...

• Like 1

Got new wheels for the Jimny today so I've glued the tyres and fitted them with some new metal hex adaptors.  You can see the plastic ones in the photo, they were all cracked or broken.  One was stuck inside a wheel and I had to dig it out with a screw driver.  Also, added a spacer to the rear dampers to prevent the dog-bones from falling out and went with some softer oil in all the dampers.  Now I just have to find somewhere to take it for some mild trail driving.

Hw8B0j4.jpg

• Like 2

A busy day of rc for me. I now have 9 cars (of 9!) that work. Just a case of putting some motors back in, soldering an esc plug, binding and installing a receiver, the usual little things that you put off when you can just grab a different car.

Also my puffy lipo has returned to normal, does this mean it was temporary and is fine or will it just puff again when its used?

Finished off Kumamon. Now I'm going to take the wheels and a few other bits back off just so my daughter can do a bit of assembly on Xmas day. I figured that way she could experience a little building but not have to wait ages to try it.

gStVsv6.jpg?1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nowinaminute said:

Finished off Kumamon. Now I'm going to take the wheels and a few other bits back off just so my daughter can do a bit of assembly on Xmas day. I figured that way she could experience a little building but not have to wait ages to try it.

gStVsv6.jpg?1

Nice job, just hope she doesn't say..

''but Dad, I wanted a fluorescent pink car with Barbie driving ''   !!!

• Haha 1

Taken advantage of Tamico’s daily deal for Carson 2.4Ghz wheel controller with a receiver - might even be a four channel receiver*. Hope they are cheerful as well as cheap - I’ve ordered three!

Added a load of parts for my ORV project and some hop-up suspension mounts for my XV-01.

What didn’t happen last week was my Tamiya day. Best laid plans and all that...

*EDIT - 2 channel only but that’s cool.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2017 at 12:07 AM, Kingfisher said:

Where it overlaps on the side, that needs to blend with no defined line. Also, something on the hood would look good. It looks a bit bare right now. Maybe bring the design up onto the hood and run it back across the roof like stripes until you get near the back, then bring it to a point. Otherwise, looks good so far.

Hi. Any better? I'm trying to make use of effectively just the one sheet to keep costs down if/as and when I get a set. Obviously both sides would be done if I went ahead with this

20171217_113455.jpg

• Like 1

Succumbed to the cries from my Ebay basket and bought some bits n pieces for my TA01 and M03! 

I did resist buying a lovely pre built Beetle Rally MF01X though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Taken advantage of Tamico’s daily deal for Carson 2.4Ghz wheel controller with a receiver - might even be a four channel receiver. Hope they are cheerful as well as cheap - I’ve ordered three!

Added a load of parts for my ORV project and some hop-up suspension mounts for my XV-01.

What didn’t happen last week was my Tamiya day. Best laid plans and all that...

I have one pretty cool for the price!

• Thanks 1