Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Did you find out why? It seems strange to supply CVAs but then not use them. Is the bkdy too light for example so no oil is better, or was it saving the $1 of oil?

Not too sure. Could be because the car is so light. Could be because it is aimed at beginners who Tamiya thought would be put off by the added complexity. Could be a cost saving strategy. Could be something else entirely.

• Like 1

Today I did some soldering. First time in about 17 years I've picked up a soldering iron. Didn't come out too badly. This was just one connector. I ended up doing about 5 in total :) 

28043170369_6376b8de25_b.jpg39111875364_08132caf3c_b.jpg39111875264_8cd443cc68_b.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Did you find out why? It seems strange to supply CVAs but then not use them. Is the bkdy too light for example so no oil is better, or was it saving the $1 of oil?

hmmm, indeed, I don't see any O-ring in the Grasshopper 2 instruction you posted...  

Maybe the friction of the shaft and piston is same as 1 O-ring, as shown in Hornet manual below?  I use just 1 O-ring, and that's just perfect for my hornet-spec Grasshopper.  In that light, I would agree with your initial thought -- the front of the Grasshopper series is too light for CVA.  And, they match the rear shocks. 

5a64f0e11b335_Hornetdamper.thumb.jpg.fa3d4effd95c81c14d40355e14997065.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

39768635242_b991f8e832_b.jpg

I'll have to check the box as I am pretty sure the buggy came with all the paperwork. Even so, looks like whoever buys this one is getting a free upgrade to oil shocks. Experience with the Rising Fighter has shown me to go light on these. Installed the 4 large hole pistons that were still on the original sprue and some 10wt oil. Seems to work well enough.

• Like 2

Won an auction for 3 Futaba receivers, to be used with the new Futaba radio that is on the way.

That will give me 4 in total. Still need to get a few more.

• Like 2

Started building the Cat XLS after sitting in the closet for 4 months, man it is a pita, got as far as the rear diff and the spur gear, the spur gear has a fair wobble in it, has anyone else experience this with the build.

Had a bit of a splurge, bought some corerc CR598 recievers, T Maxx shocks for the bullhead and an LRP pro charger (half price).

Need some shock oil, diff oil and big bore spring sets next..🤔

34 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Had a bit of a splurge, bought some corerc CR598 recievers, T Maxx shocks for the bullhead and an LRP pro charger (half price).

Need some shock oil, diff oil and big bore spring sets next..🤔

Hey Wooders. Where did you find the CR598 rx please? 

1 hour ago, mman2005 said:

Hey Wooders. Where did you find the CR598 rx please? 

EBay, just happen to find them as they were listed. I've been checking daily.

'

Lads Madbull arrived, ESC was fitted with a Traxxas adaptor, so had to change ESC, put in a stock motor rather than the hot one it came with added a new set of radio gear and all so the little guy could get it out for a trial, he is one very happy lad.

Little ladies madbull - full set of ball-races fitted, changed the steering servo, Fitted the body, painted the body pink. Now just to fit a stock motor, ESC and radio gear that I dont yet have.......( all ordered as is a Tamiya plug for the ESC)

Also waiting on colour markers so I can add details to Mums ambulance and will do same to little ladies Madbull. That means when we have buggies out there will be 5 of us.......OMG what are we (I of course mean me) like??

Kyans Madbull.jpeg

Neve's madbull.jpeg

Neve's painted.jpeg

• Like 3

I've nearly finished painting my Top Force shell today :)

Just done the first backing silver coat, one more to do then re-green the underside of the wing.

• Like 1

Today I've joined the BRCA.

Thought I may as well do it now so it's done for when I want to go and race.

• Like 3

Bought a bronco and a metal top pajero 👍 both xb nib 

1 hour ago, Phil5556 said:

IMG_20180123_160742800.jpg

IMG_20180123_160804590.jpg

:D

looking great but i would paint the silver on the spoiler with the green as the silver will draw your eye to it 

1 minute ago, topforcein said:

looking great but i would paint the silver on the spoiler with the green as the silver will draw your eye to it 

;)

1 hour ago, Phil5556 said:

I've nearly finished painting my Top Force shell today :)

Just done the first backing silver coat, one more to do then re-green the underside of the wing.

Just done it, and I did the underside of the shell again in green because I didn't like the silver.

IMG_20180123_173653456.jpg

And nearly finished cutting, so far my least favourite bit.

IMG_20180123_173712498.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Today I've joined the BRCA.

Thought I may as well do it now so it's done for when I want to go and race.

I have to do that today too, well NZRCA and 2 clubs.  My first offroad race day is this Sunday, then the first onroad is next Saturday.  May as well rip the sticking plaster off and pay both memberships at once.  I need something that doesn't sound like RC expense on the credit card though, my wife just read out our latest bill (I hate it when she does that, all the fun stuff on it is mine, either pubs or toys) and then commented that there was nothing for toy cars.  I think she missed the M410 bodyshell but didn't want to point that out.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Phil5556 said:

;)

Just done it, and I did the underside of the shell again in green because I didn't like the silver.

IMG_20180123_173653456.jpg

And nearly finished cutting, so far my least favourite bit.

IMG_20180123_173712498.jpg

yeah i dont like silver either except for backing and then i do as you have done also.

i dont mind the decals. does the decal sheet still have the smoke window sticker.

mind if my lhs has one in stock when i go tommorow i might come away with it to go with my original.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, topforcein said:

yeah i dont like silver either except for backing and then i do as you have done also.

i dont mind the decals. does the decal sheet still have the smoke window sticker.

mind if my lhs has one in stock when i go tommorow i might come away with it to go with my original.

Yes the windows are still smoked. :)

I've got a bit of paint bleed to clean up once I peel the masking off.

• Like 1

mmmmmm. went to extend the body mounts on my WT-01 to find the post extenders are for a larger diameter post........

So bracing required, some Gorilla Glue and some more bracing. Cut some bracing from a celebrations plastic tin. added the gorilla glue and this is what I ended up with after posts trimmed to height I need them for wheels to clear the body.....just.

extended posts.jpeg

extended posts1.jpeg

extended posts2.jpeg

• Like 4

Decided to finally have a go at modifying some Sandscorcher rear light pods to accept the clear lenses. Not sure why I was so hesitant about trying this before at it it's a pretty simply job with a hobby knife, & a **** sight cheaper than trying to source the vintage parts.

25988794868_9c36edf144_b.jpg39862274581_24bbbf82b7_b.jpg

Also tried to resurrect an F150 Ranger clear front screen with some heavy gouges taken out of it. The scratches were almost completely through in some places so it was never going to end up 100%, but it did come out quite well.

before:

39836573021_57a48cc36b_b.jpg

after:

28082387329_97c18d8969_b.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baddon said:

mmmmmm. went to extend the body mounts on my WT-01 to find the post extenders are for a larger diameter post........

So bracing required, some Gorilla Glue and some more bracing. Cut some bracing from a celebrations plastic tin. added the gorilla glue and this is what I ended up with after posts trimmed to height I need them for wheels to clear the body.....just.

extended posts.jpeg

extended posts1.jpeg

extended posts2.jpeg

are you gonna paint the shell?

6 minutes ago, topforcein said:

are you gonna paint the shell?

NOPE, this is the look I am after, hence I am waiting on some red vinyl sheets. I will cut the strips and crosses from it. Also some colour sharpies on way to add details to shell as well.

The shell is a gloss slight off white which is about right for the period (who said I was to lazy or tight to get more paint....), besides one it gets scratched it will be less noticeable.

matchbox-75-series-ford-transit-ambulance-1-63-scale-dated-1986-on-base-loose-vgc-[2]-871-p.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baddon said:

extended posts.jpeg

extended posts1.jpeg

extended posts2.jpeg

Haha awesome job on extending the height, does it wobble much?

Chrck out the pain I went through trying to mount a similar van style body on my WT01