Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not today but yesterday...

Got my clod out the loft and got it running for the first time in a long time...10 years or more i'd say.

Snow was too tempting :lol:

Today I installed most of the electronics (eZRun 5.5T/60A 3S LiPo) into my custom TA03F->TA03R converted chassis. Soldered new HXT bullet connectors onto the ESC's power leads on two cars..

DSCF1764.jpg

DSCF1762.jpg

Ordered an F103 Silver Graphite Chassis, F103 Silver Graphite Top-deck and an F103 Ally servo mount. Went to wire my new robitronic esc in my SC10, got one wire soldered to the motor before the soldering iron died :lol: think I may tidy the room a bit and play with my scalextric to cheer me up.

Matt

bored, bored, bored lol, i hate the waiting for a meet, we have them every two weeks but i hate the time between, i will get a car out and have a tinker to keep myself amused. i need to buy another nib to build.

bored, bored, bored lol, i hate the waiting for a meet, we have them every two weeks but i hate the time between, i will get a car out and have a tinker to keep myself amused. i need to buy another nib to build.
One of these days i`m going to make it to a clumber meet.....

Today i have mostly been spending (again!!) new tailgate body posts and body ordered for my Pumpkin. The to do list just keeps on growing...

Finally I got the rear mono Super Champ chock from Frank Lux!!!

Thanks a million bro´

So, What have you got today?

Badboy

One of these days i`m going to make it to a clumber meet.....

Today i have mostly been spending (again!!) new tailgate body posts and body ordered for my Pumpkin. The to do list just keeps on growing...

make sure you do, its good fun and its always good to see some new faces.

Took my Super Champ for a spin!

Almost crashed it!!!

So, What have you done today?

Badboy

I just got outbid on a badly described Tamiya Quattro on Ebay - was it won by a member?

- still went for a lot less than i thought it would, just a bit too rich for me :P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...IT#ht_500wt_971

should be ok to post - auction has ended

El cheapo price! ;) Collection only probably put most people off though I guess...

Ordered two Tamiya Durga Bodyshell and Wings from my LHS. Want a metallic blue scheme for my next Durga Project.

Sun not quite so hot outside today (summer over here) took my Traxxas Tmaxx for a run, went through 3 fuel tanks of nitro. Spent an hour cleaning the car afterwards ;)

What have you done today?

My steel UJ's just arrived so my Super Champ slowly but steady getting together!!!

Waiting for original chassie + mech, deck. Hopefully later today or tomorrow.

Also traded my new built Grasshopper for a used re-re Frog!!!

Badboy

Yupp!!! Got my Froggy today!!!

1-2.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

As I was working on it I switched the switch(?)

8-1.jpg

Been thinking of switch chassie colour and paint it after the chassie.

Red chassie= white/red or blue chssie = white/blue

11-1.jpg

Badboy

Took the Royal Flash out for its first bash today. Have to say it's easily the fastest r/c car I have ever seen off road. Will easily outpace anything petrol or nitro I reckon, it's just amazing. Need to get a speed gun on it and see what it actually does - 60mph+ wouldn't surprise me.

Thing is, I've finally discovered something that would make a Tamiya plug melt. 4000mah LiPo with the 5T brushless system...

l1020258.jpg

So what to replace it with? Dean's or PowerPoles?

Finally ordered my Sand Scorcher. Really looking forward to it - only NIB I will build this year.

Unless 'The Boss' read's this forum, then you cant pull the wool over our eyes :lol: Have fun building your new scorcher (/jealous) ;)

I have just switched half of my RC's (anything without a stock 540) to Dean's. Sick of tamiya plugs melting and losing contact :lol:

Today I bombarded my Clod with stickers and the front with new F parts ;) Nearly finished!

ClodBuster004.jpg

Unless 'The Boss' read's this forum, then you cant pull the wool over our eyes :lol: Have fun building your new scorcher (/jealous) ;)

I have just switched half of my RC's (anything without a stock 540) to Dean's. Sick of tamiya plugs melting and losing contact :lol:

Today I bombarded my Clod with stickers and the front with new F parts ;) Nearly finished!

ClodBuster004.jpg

Looks lovely. I recently did mine up, but as more of a basher than yours looks like.

I got me another SRB chassie!!! Now seven SRB's!!!

Thanks Mouton!!! Check my showroom for more info!

Badboy

I had a busy day in the RC workshop.

Finished building the DT02 Sand Viper chassis with my son Jaedon. It's ready to go now except a reciever. Body still needs paint.

Added hopups to my kids 4WD buggys (prizes they won for coming places in last years local championship).

Star Dish wheels and spire spike tyres, turnbuckles, alloy drive hexes and alloy wheel nuts and a motor heatsink onto Adam's DF01 Blazing Star.

Spire spike tyres on DF03 rims, heatsink bars, Dirt Tuned 27T motor, alloy drive hexes and an new slipper clutch (8th slipper set I've bought) on Joey's Black Dark Impact.

Adjustable upper links and alloy drive hexes and alloy wheel nuts on Jaedon's DF02 Rising Storm.

Motor heatsink, alloy drive hexes and alloy nuts on Jarrod's TL01b Baja Champ. Taped up and sprayed the purple on the Baja Champ body. Looking very nice so far. Jarrod was skeptical about it being purple until it seen it.

Fitted a new slipper clutch set to my DF03MS (9th slipper set I've bought) and rebuilt the Dirt Tuned 27T I used last season.

That's got all our buggys ready for this years local racing events.

Then I did some more sanding on the Grasshopper body. It's nearly getting ready for some undercoat.

Built up the new alloy DF03 damper set for the Rabid Rabbit DT01. Love these dampers, so smooth. Used the original DT01 springs on them to get the right weight for the odd weighted chassis.

Then I just bought another Fox from Stuart (Swarm). Make sure you're sitting down for this one... I'm not going to drive it! Restored to a 'as Mr Tamiya intended' shelf model and never going to be driven. I think Stuart nearly fell off his chair when I told him that. LOL! :lol:

Started the build on the Sand Scorcher.

The kit was delivered on Friday from Stella Models, and had spent the last two days locked in my bedroom while I spent Valentines weekend with the gf.

After she went home this morning, and I got home from a bit of shopping, I went upstairs with the opening tune from "2001 A Space Odyssey" playing through my mind. I'm sat here at the moment putting the gearbox together, and mad as this sounds, I'm having trouble keeping my hands steady. Here I am, putting together what is for me the most iconic Tamiya model ever made. I have a feeling that the urge to buy at least one other one later on in the year is going to be too strong to resist.

It's times like this when I'm really grateful for you guys here. No one else really "gets" my excitement about this car. My mates think my hobby is a little odd, but even though they think some of my creations are cool, don't really get the passion I have for them. I would think (hope!) some of you reading this know exactly where I'm coming from!

Started the build on the Sand Scorcher.

The kit was delivered on Friday from Stella Models, and had spent the last two days locked in my bedroom while I spent Valentines weekend with the gf.

After she went home this morning, and I got home from a bit of shopping, I went upstairs with the opening tune from "2001 A Space Odyssey" playing through my mind. I'm sat here at the moment putting the gearbox together, and mad as this sounds, I'm having trouble keeping my hands steady. Here I am, putting together what is for me the most iconic Tamiya model ever made. I have a feeling that the urge to buy at least one other one later on in the year is going to be too strong to resist.

It's times like this when I'm really grateful for you guys here. No one else really "gets" my excitement about this car. My mates think my hobby is a little odd, but even though they think some of my creations are cool, don't really get the passion I have for them. I would think (hope!) some of you reading this know exactly where I'm coming from!

Enjoy the build SteelRat!

Was great for me opening that box also.

I was a bit shaky too, could have been the beer though :D

I acquired an almost new built Madcap today. Madcap was my first car (not including Taiyo Jet Hopper), and I still have it and use it. Of course in the twenty years I've had it, it's gone through many changes, and short of replacing the chassis and body, it's almost a Super Astute.

So since it's so different from the car I originally built, I thought it was about time I bought another one. One came up on Ebay last week for a good price and I received it this afternoon.

It is in very good condition. Most of it looks brand new and there are very few of the usual scuffs on the underside. The wheels have no marks and the tires still have 99% of their tread. It almost seems like this car was only ever run on carpet. Apart from some dust, everything is clean, clean, clean. The plastic is still shiny were the dust doesn't cover. The front and rear wheels are also ballraced.

Still, something wasn't quite right with the car on closer inspection. The transmission was way too tight and the suspension was too hard, especially at the front. So today, I stripped and rebuilt the car, putting right what seemed wrong.

The dampers don't have their greased rubber inserts, part of the reason the car is so bouncy. I need to order some rubber tubing from the Bay. The front dampers were worst of all. Empty inside and wrapped in the wrong springs. I'm not sure what the springs are from, but they are too long and too stiff to be Madcap fronts. Luckily I had a spare pair of Madcap front springs. Now the car bounces, but softly, and the wheels stay on the ground and the chassis just sinks into place after a couple of gentle rebounds.

Front end sorted, onto the rear and that tight transmission. When I opened up the gearbox and diff hatch, all I could see was thick black grease. I don't know what grease it was, but it seemed to be everywhere - except on the spur and the pinion, and the inside of the gearbox cover. That ruled out alloy paste being the cause of the black colour.

The car came with a 77T spur and a 19T pinion. Madcaps, out of the box, are fitted with a 70T spur and 23T pinion. I have plenty of those lying around, including new ones. The 19T pinion actually looked a little worn, so I binned it. The 77T spur is still good, but it doesn't belong in a stock Madcap.

I pulled the gear box apart and cleaned out the greased. I soaked the gears in a Daz biological laundry detergent solution for a while. I opened the diff. The same black grease was inside, smothering everything. The diff took a dive into the Daz too. What kind of grease is this?

Once all grease was removed, the parts rinsed and dried, I could see what I was looking at. Apart from the obvious marks (minimal) on the diff rings, the components were all in good shape, and the diff went together smoothly, using the right grease this time. I know if I run this car, that diff will need a rebuild in no time, but as far as I know, the car is destined for the shelf. The light marks on the diff rings are not a worry.

The gearbox wasn't ballraced :) , and I only had 1150's spare. The gearbox takes two of those, 2 x 850's and two huge 1680's for the diff to ride on. Another visit to Ebay will supply the bearings I need. It never ends.

The gearbox went together smoothly, and now the transmission feels loose and smooth, and diff seems as it should be. I'm not sure what was causing the binding before.

Other than that, all I needed to do was replace a few nuts and screws for the right ones (gearbox uses plastic nuts that always seem to be substituted for metal flange nuts). The body, although new and dirt free, is not really shelf queen quality. It's not entirely box art so I intend to paint up one of my spare body sets and use the current body on the car for my runner when it's current shell is knackered.