Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Managed to get some time in work last night (4am) to do some work on the kf2 and change the motor position.

Then won a Honda city turbo!!

Good weekend nightshift 👍😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

After many frantic months and lots of cleaning I am now restoring my Thunder Dragon. Thanks @taffer and @Tamiyabigstuff. Keep an eye on pics over the coming weeks. I have to say it is the most satisfying and exciting build I've done. When sourcing correct vintage parts it's just a great feeling.

This evening I attempted to solder some new pigtails onto a vintage motor with no success. Will try again with fresh eyes. Would not want to ruin it. 

Would it be ok to use a small blob of super glue to hold the wire in place before I solder?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mman2005 said:

Would it be ok to use a small blob of super glue to hold the wire in place before I solder?

Probably not a good idea as the heat will cause it to give off cyanide vapour, which you definately don't want to breath in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finished painting the Dark Impact ready for life on the track. In my eyes it's such a good looking buggy, I've no idea why I've overlooked it for so long!

28191434_10155438768651158_714505677_n.jpg

28191088_10155438769031158_1421298404_n.jpg

• Like 11

7 hours ago, martinjpayne said:

Probably not a good idea as the heat will cause it to give off cyanide vapour, which you definately don't want to breath in.

Thanks for the info. Outside soldering it is.

8 minutes ago, i_am_scarecrow said:

Finished painting the Dark Impact ready for life on the track. In my eyes it's such a good looking buggy, I've no idea why I've overlooked it for so long!

28191434_10155438768651158_714505677_n.jpg

28191088_10155438769031158_1421298404_n.jpg

That looks AWESOME! Loving the non-boxart paint job. These do seem criminally overlooked given that they are still in production.

• Like 1

@i_am_scarecrow, beautiful car mate. Love the detail in the paint job. Is that achieved with fasmask?

Can you take some more pics of the car? Would love to see more detailed of this one (maybe pop the body off for a chassis shot also!)

Cheers!

14 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

@i_am_scarecrow, beautiful car mate. Love the detail in the paint job. Is that achieved with fasmask?

Can you take some more pics of the car? Would love to see more detailed of this one (maybe pop the body off for a chassis shot also!)

Cheers!

The paint design is actually a mask set sold by Racecraft RC on Ebay, this is their zebra stripe one. I've used a few others from them too, always great quality! Paint is Tamiya PS5 black, PS6 yellow and backed with PS1 white.

Here's a few more pics.Steering needs a bit of fettling with a new servo, needs a deans plug on that esc too really.

28233055_10155438769136158_889074546_n.jpg

28190979_10155438768591158_139973467_n.jpg

28168055_10155440234331158_5033228965834057703_n.jpg

• Like 6

Did some sprainting today. (borrowed the word sprainting from @Ronnyhotdog)

The Amarok is PS-14 Copper, backed with PS-12 Silver, then backed again with PS-5 Black.

The Celica is PS-4 Blue, backed with PS-41 Bright Silver, and that was backed with PS-5 Black.

The TransAm is PS-37 Translucent Red, backed with PS-41 Bright Silver, and backed that with PS-5 Black.

38558411100_24725dd29f_b.jpg

40323094362_a157690855_b.jpg

38558413620_a9f0bdef96_b.jpg

40323099452_50bd62a637_b.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

@Kingfisher, awesome colour schemes, they look very rich.  Am particularly interested in your use of multiple coats of different paint types.  Can you provide more detail on your technique, and the number of sprays / coats of each? thanks :)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, novicelad said:

Made this video

Very well done. 

I would say that you can no longer call yourself "Novicelad," after converting TNX to brushless.  

• Like 5

Built the steering set up for my 1984 Hornet buggy. TCer Crash Cramer gave to me these bars many years ago, and I used Dubro bits for the extremes. It is now working alright and I believe it will be more resistant than the original set up.

I'm smiling :)

lZVVsla.jpg?1

• Like 5

7 hours ago, novicelad said:

Made this video

You’ve made a very decent 4s capable 4WD Monster Truck on the cheap, and you’ve done it quite quickly great job. Like the front mounted batteries for the weight benefit.... this all makes me miss my similar sized RC’s but I’ve no space for beasts like this anymore.

looking forward to seeing it run and if it ever gets airborne too ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juggular said:

Very well done. 

I would say that you can no longer call yourself "Novicelad," after converting TNX to brushless.  

To be honest there is a lot of info already out there there are a couple of threads on here so if you can use a drill its pretty straight forward.

2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

You’ve made a very decent 4s capable 4WD Monster Truck on the cheap, and you’ve done it quite quickly great job. Like the front mounted batteries for the weight benefit.... this all makes me miss my similar sized RC’s but I’ve no space for beasts like this anymore.

looking forward to seeing it run and if it ever gets airborne too ;)

Thanks, I intend to give it a good thrashing just need the time really hoping to get out this weekend! 

11 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

The Amarok is PS-14 Copper, backed with PS-12 Silver, then backed again with PS-5 Black.

The Celica is PS-4 Blue, backed with PS-41 Bright Silver, and that was backed with PS-5 Black.

The TransAm is PS-37 Translucent Red, backed with PS-41 Bright Silver, and backed that with PS-5 Black.

That red came out perfect! You must feel very productive getting 3 shells out the way... the most I’ve ever done in one go is two and even then I felt like king of the hill ;)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

that colour turned out real nice and it does suit it also.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Ok so I’ve been back and looked at the Amarok. I am loving the colour. Think that will have to be used at some point. 

Can you, or anyone explain the reasoning behind the top the silver then black? Does it alter the colour in some way?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

That red came out perfect! You must feel very productive getting 3 shells out the way... the most I’ve ever done in one go is two and even then I felt like king of the hill ;)

Thanks. Painting is one of my favorite parts of the build. 

2 hours ago, topforcein said:

that colour turned out real nice and it does suit it also.

I agree. I really like this color. The bright silver really made it look like a candy paint.

1 hour ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Ok so I’ve been back and looked at the Amarok. I am loving the colour. Think that will have to be used at some point. 

Can you, or anyone explain the reasoning behind the top the silver then black? Does it alter the colour in some way?

The Amarok shell that I have is for the WT01 kit, but the color of it is from the CC01 Amarok. I think the copper color will look good with the WT01's stickers. Paint explanation below.

tamiya-58616-2.jpg

custom_head.jpg

14 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

@Kingfisher, awesome colour schemes, they look very rich.  Am particularly interested in your use of multiple coats of different paint types.  Can you provide more detail on your technique, and the number of sprays / coats of each? thanks :)

Backing your first color with silver makes the paint look more vibrant. If I were to back the first color with black, it would have a darker look to it. The silver brings the color out more. The only reason why I used two different silvers is because that's what I had on hand. I prefer to use Bright Silver as I feel that it brings the color out that much more than regular Silver, but I ran out. I back the silver with black to keep light reflecting through the body. It also makes the car look more realistic when looking through the windows. For an example, see the last pic of my post with the Celica. The inside is black, and you cannot see the body color or silver through the windows. 

When I sprayed just the translucent red on the TransAm, the body looked reddish pink and very see-through. If I would have backed that with black, the red would have been very dark, but putting the bright silver before the black allowed the metal flake of the silver to really change the paint and make it look the way it does in the photos. 

As for technique, I aim for 3 even light coats on the first color, achieving full coverage by the 3rd coat. The first coat should look very light and see through. The second coat will fill the color in a little more, and the 3rd coat should give an even color across the whole body. When I spray the first coat, I wait for the paint to flash off before applying the next. You can tell when it's ready for the next coat because it will not look like glossy wet paint. It'll have a matte dull look to the paint. That's when I apply the next coat.

When I move onto silver, I go for 2 coats. It doesn't take much to fill the car in with silver. I also let the paint flash before adding another coat.

When I get to black, I try to spray evenly until everything is black. At this point, you just want full coverage without runs. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

Backing your first color with silver makes the paint look more vibrant. If I were to back the first color with black, it would have a darker look to it. The silver brings the color out more. The only reason why I used two different silvers is because that's what I had on hand. I prefer to use Bright Silver as I feel that it brings the color out that much more than regular Silver, but I ran out. I back the silver with black to keep light reflecting through the body. It also makes the car look more realistic when looking through the windows. For an example, see the last pic of my post with the Celica. The inside is black, and you cannot see the body color or silver through the windows. 

When I sprayed just the translucent red on the TransAm, the body looked reddish pink and very see-through. If I would have backed that with black, the red would have been very dark, but putting the bright silver before the black allowed the metal flake of the silver to really change the paint and make it look the way it does in the photos. 

As for technique, I aim for 3 even light coats on the first color, achieving full coverage by the 3rd coat. The first coat should look very light and see through. The second coat will fill the color in a little more, and the 3rd coat should give an even color across the whole body. When I spray the first coat, I wait for the paint to flash off before applying the next. You can tell when it's ready for the next coat because it will not look like glossy wet paint. It'll have a matte dull look to the paint. That's when I apply the next coat.

When I move onto silver, I go for 2 coats. It doesn't take much to fill the car in with silver. I also let the paint flash before adding another coat.

When I get to black, I try to spray evenly until everything is black. At this point, you just want full coverage without runs. 

Brilliant information, thanks for that. 

Hmm just need to decide what that colour is going on now!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Brilliant information, thanks for that. 

Hmm just need to decide what that colour is going on now!

You're welcome. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. 

I also plan to experiment more in the future with using a metallic gold as a backing color instead of silver for translucent colors. I think the gold should give a nice flip effect to the paint.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

You're welcome. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. 

I also plan to experiment more in the future with using a metallic gold as a backing color instead of silver for translucent colors. I think the gold should give a nice flip effect to the paint.

Yeah that sounds like a plan, I might need to stock up on bright silver now to back more of my paint jobs and that’s a great tip using the Black last ;)