Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cancelled my planned Tamiya day...

That won't get the Bowler shell painted 😔. 

Off to work instead. 

Will try again next month...

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Not sure about that radio set itself, but if there are any servo reversing switches in the body of the TX or perhaps inside the battery door of the TX, you could try throwing the reverse switch to sort out the backwards operation.

Well I couldn't wait until this evening. It was bugging me. Turns out i just needed to swap the motor leads round. :D

5 hours ago, Tamiya Era said:

Hello Mates............Been a very long time :)

Hope All Well!

CHeers

Good to see your still alive , Hope things are going well with you M8 . 

9 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Cancelled my planned Tamiya day...

That won't get the Bowler shell painted 😔. 

Off to work instead. 

Will try again next month...

Sorry about that - hope next month gives you more time!

Today, I ordered some more decals:

20l8jr.jpg

Warranted or not, I am proud of my work on this custom rally event plate:

2rxw6z6.jpg

Maybe I should have filed some paperwork with @TWINSET before using the logo :P :ph34r:

This experience has taught me many things about fonts, including those used on Tamiyas. It has also inspired me to keep working - nobody will mistake me for a professional graphic designer, but perhaps I missed a calling...

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Grastens said:

Sorry about that - hope next month gives you more time!

Today, I ordered some more decals:

20l8jr.jpg

Warranted or not, I am proud of my work on this custom rally event plate:

2rxw6z6.jpg

Maybe I should have filed some paperwork with @TWINSET before using the logo :P :ph34r:

This experience has taught me many things about fonts, including those used on Tamiyas. It has also inspired me to keep working - nobody will mistake me for a professional graphic designer, but perhaps I missed a calling...

Thanks @Grastens. Really enjoying by your Lancia build, the decals are coming along nicely.

Things took a positive turn today when a TL01LA arrived. Photobucket has finally given up on me so I can't query on here what looks like a CF end-plate. V pleased....

• Like 4

Answered my own query - found a TL01LA manual to download, it is the MB22 gearbox plate.

Thats not carbon but FRP - I think fiberlyte will make it in carbon fibre if you'd like though!

Today all I've done is try to resuscitate an old Orion NIMH battery. Not sure it's going to work, mind...

• Thanks 1

Today I stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the diff on my F103RS in preparation for tomorrow's racing. I am not sure yet if we'll be racing F1 or Minis, but I'll take both and see which class has the fewest entrants. With my skills being what they are, I prefer being in the way of as few people as possible. :)

• Like 2

Well more over the last 10 days really, 

Flew from home to Brisbane, on to Sydney, Taxi to the Harbour, get on a Cruise ship to Tasmania, quickly search 'Top 10 things to do' before losing reception, Museums, Galleries, Markets blah blah blah, new search, Hobby shops, Yay bingo, leave wife to look at the markets, go to McCanns hobby shop, (even the kids came with me!!) get some humbrol matt black paint, no actually get two, look at all the Tamiya on show, Bruiser, Blackfoot 3, Wild Willy, Plasma Edge, Konghead, plus many more, (mental note, get a bigger suitcase), same trip back home, but stopping in Sydney to see some bloke going by the name of Mr Sheeran playing his guitar to 80,000 people, get home to fit the alloy wheel covers to my Buggy Champ wheels that were in the letter box the day before we left.

Phew big day, time for a beer. :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Well more over the last 10 days really, 

Flew from home to Brisbane, on to Sydney, Taxi to the Harbour, get on a Cruise ship to Tasmania, quickly search 'Top 10 things to do' before losing reception, Museums, Galleries, Markets blah blah blah, new search, Hobby shops, Yay bingo, leave wife to look at the markets, go to McCanns hobby shop, (even the kids came with me!!) get some humbrol matt black paint, no actually get two, look at all the Tamiya on show, Bruiser, Blackfoot 3, Wild Willy, Plasma Edge, Konghead, plus many more, (mental note, get a bigger suitcase), same trip back home, but stopping in Sydney to see some bloke going by the name of Mr Sheeran playing his guitar to 80,000 people, get home to fit the alloy wheel covers to my Buggy Champ wheels that were in the letter box the day before we left.

Phew big day, time for a beer. :)

if i was in aus i would def do the malcome location thingy

• Like 1

I've got this thing ready to run. Built it 20+ years ago from plans as a bit of a project over winter, it used to run pretty well. I've just put my 15T firebolt in it and old LRP ESC and might give it a run tomorrow if I'm feeling brave. I was just going to put it in the sea if it's calm but might give it a trial run on a lake first as inevitably something will go wrong and it's a bit cold to swim at the moment :D

IMG_20180317_114816216.jpg

IMG_20180317_114828180.jpg

IMG_20180317_114839040.jpg

IMG_20180317_114907734.jpg

photo uploading sites

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Snakehands said:

I put the finishing touches to my vintage Thunder Shot

39046813370_f7dfcdd2af_b.jpg

Here's how it was

Got to love a TS chassis! 

• Thanks 1

Agreed on that - the Thundershot is one slick-looking car!

A misunderstanding with MCI Racing left me in a foul mood, but not for long when I finished another set:

32zqurl.jpg

The TamiyaClub Lancia 037 Rally is really picking up momentum; I designed an entire set of re-release-style decals for the car. The sheet you see here should equip two shells, for a team pairing.

Even if the final design might never look as attractive as the paint schemes which appeared on the real 037s, it was still a lot of fun to pore over Tamiya decal sheets and build up each one! I took a few from various re-releases and reworked them. One compilation file I made for reference is here:

qrc861.jpg

I personally like the re-release sponsors, even though I understand if they detract from the charm of some of the re-releases, especially those whose original designs closely mimicked real cars. Re-released models replicating actual racing cars typically have many of their original sponsors - who would buy a Forward Automotive Products GT-R over a Pennzoil Nismo GT-R, besides me - but I thought it would be a neat exercise to see what one such racer would look like if it sported a paint scheme including Tamiya re-release decals.

In the case of a Lancia, it might look like this:

fa4nb5.jpg

I based the rest of the paint scheme on my Wheelie Rally:

16c7zft.jpg

However, I would have much more surface area to work with on a regular Lancia 037!

I learned that "Speed Disc" is in a Crillee Bold Italic font, while the text that goes into "Rob Mitchell Racing" is in Dom Diagonal Bold. "Super Gripper" is in ITC Souvenir Bold, though I used the regular Souvenir Bold font. Everything else was approximated with fonts like Marlboro, Century Gothic, TW Cen MT Condensed, a mix of Swis721 fonts, and of course Bauhaus 93 ;)

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Grastens said:

I learned that "Speed Disc" is in a Crillee Bold Italic font, while the text that goes into "Rob Mitchell Racing" is in Dom Diagonal Bold. "Super Gripper" is in ITC Souvenir Bold, though I used the regular Souvenir Bold font. Everything else was approximated with fonts like Marlboro, Century Gothic, TW Cen MT Condensed, a mix of Swis721 fonts, and of course Bauhaus 93 ;)

One thing you need to do, that I notice that a lot of repro decals get wrong, is add a stroke where the font weight is not bold enough, for instance on "Super Gripper".

Some more to help you out:

Tamiya - Helvetica Neue 96 Black Italic
Freeflo Filters - Harry Obese & Helvetica Neue 85 Heavy
Hyper Cam - Karnak Pro Condensed Black Italic

king-cab-decals-redrawn-screenshot.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Truck Norris said:

One thing you need to do, that I notice that a lot of repro decals get wrong, is add a stroke where the font weight is not bold enough, for instance on "Super Gripper".

It turns out that was because I did not use Souvenir Bold. The font is corrected now!

That being said, the decals are not all picture-perfect; I had to improvise for the Progear ones, for example, and the Brite Lite ones look a bit different from the sources I used, though not due to the font. For my purposes, though, everything works!

Today saw the Buggy Champs body 1st time out pootaling around with its now fitted alloy bling bits :)

8BB71590-9298-4F44-BC02-A8606C5711DB.thumb.jpeg.e0af476bc4ad12abbf69b1dd478baebe.jpeg  

Then the big bad fella came out...

Gotta luv the smell & noise of a Nitro...

59C5FCE7-50F8-4528-B840-6F0017505121.thumb.jpeg.87ab9b9ce6804858c9b607b73622a7b2.jpeg

What did you get up to?

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Gotta luv the smell & noise of a Nitro...

59C5FCE7-50F8-4528-B840-6F0017505121.thumb.jpeg.87ab9b9ce6804858c9b607b73622a7b2.jpeg

Simply awesome action shot there mate ..! Love the ballooning on the front right. I presume it’s unloaded and that’s therefore the diff spinning the fronts up different speeds to one another? Diff in action...!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Simply awesome action shot there mate ..! Love the ballooning on the front right. I presume it’s unloaded and that’s therefore the diff spinning the fronts up different speeds to one another? Diff in action...!

Ta mate, Yep dead right, the inside front wheel looses traction then spins free but the other three still keep it moving at a fair rate of knots. It is a real hoot to drive, I got this shot by driving left handed then trying my best to capture it holding down the shutter button on my old iPhone 5s which then takes 'Burst' shots till you let go. As the car roared past it even managed to fill my shoes with small stones :lol:

• Haha 3

Added some more decals to my recently finished Kamtec basher shell, and also rebuilt my Hornet into a new chassis after my son snapped the chassis/suspension leg after 10 mins (from new)!

20E7C278-A442-4C63-A96C-A94CAB96E71C.jpeg

59DDD169-6342-4322-A483-46543432E37F.jpeg

196F257C-93D9-4428-B5FA-63D7419ABAD1.jpeg

• Like 2

20cm of snow?!! A-fn-gain!!! Pretty over this winter now. Really wanted to get out and run everything this weekend. Substituted running with tinkering. My 3D printed 3 deg toe in and adjustable arm length rear uprights for my Thunder Dragon have been sitting in the box waiting for bearings. I have some on the way but realised i could pinch a set out of my curreny unused 2wd front wheels. Fit up was pretty good. Tolerance for the bearing width was set same as my DT03 uprights but these seem tighter. Might get some binding with tight wheels, but a quick hook up of the battery showed it all span and worked so hopefully i'll get to try it out.

On the Grasshopper3 i tore down the rear gearbox to check the diff grease and it was everywhere. Still a bit in the diff making it a bit sticky so cleaned up and left it at that. Found that the front 2 gearbox screws to the chassis had fallen out at some point! Also installed the rear anti roll bar again in my new grass setup quest for better front/rear balance. Put the thin red one in and even managed to find the two tiny grub screws that screw into the front of the shock tower to hold it tight. No more wrapped of sellotape to stop it rattling! Put it all back together. 

Off to browse ebay for a couple of bits i need.

• Like 2

I couldn’t get any M chassis wheels and tyres to fill the arches of my new 239mm wheelbase Porsche 914 Shell for my M04L.... then discovered it can take 1/10 Touring  car wheels and road tyres, much happier now, just need to buy some 3mm offset ones to take care of the width too

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

I couldn’t get any M chassis wheels and tyres to fill the arches of my new 239mm wheelbase Porsche 914 Shell for my M04L.... then discovered it can take 1/10 Touring  car wheels and road tyres, much happier now, just need to buy some 3mm offset ones to take care of the width too

Is that the racer’s paradise shell?! Had my eye on one of those. What colour(s) are you going for? With a black roof?

Would the HPI vintage m-chassis wheels and tyres work? The tyres have quite a deep sidewall but I can’t remember the OD. They are what I put on my M04 2002. You have to make sure you get the right tyre for the right wheel though...

29 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Is that the racer’s paradise shell?! Had my eye on one of those. What colour(s) are you going for? With a black roof?

Would the HPI vintage m-chassis wheels and tyres work? The tyres have quite a deep sidewall but I can’t remember the OD. They are what I put on my M04 2002. You have to make sure you get the right tyre for the right wheel though...

Yes that's the one, posted from Germany.

I haven't thought about the colour yet as I need to look what paints I have left over... but that's a good idea to do a contrasting roof cheers.

I have two sizes of M tyres, 55mm and 60mm and they both are too small for this shell, they look lost.

These are the 60mm tyres on M Beetle wheels

FVQmURo.jpg

These are the 55mm M tyres on Mini Cooper wheels

GPhCA5U.jpg

This is the 55mm tyres next to 1/10 scale 65mm tyres

rhosXee.jpg

You can see how the M Wheels and tyres look lost in the arch compared to the 1/10 wheel

sRUnAvN.jpg

Last job of the day today whilst my ill little one naps was to fit some alloy dampers on to my M04L

0z6oAkI.jpg

rDN7h9q.jpg

And order some 3mm offset wheels to take care of the shortage... got some nice silver BBS style multicross spokes coming

TDxZf97.jpg