Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Strictly yesterday, nur Flickr wouldn't upload. 

Finished off the body in my vintage Boomerang rebuild. New body, one or two broken parts that needed relplacing and is now running with a Goolrc 21t motor and ESC. Left the interesting looking metal shocks on.

Boomerang

Then I had a very fun time racing around a makeshift track in the back garden with my boys.

My 9 year old actually beat me fair and square as my Novafox with sport tuned motor turned out to be virtually unsteerable due to immediate wheelies when accelerating! 

I got the best air time on the ramp, though

20180326_000633

4 Year old

20180325_153937

9 Year old

20180325_154822_003_01

Dad😁

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Then I had a very fun time racing around a makeshift track in the back garden with my boys.

My 9 year old actually beat me fair and square as my Novafox with sport tuned motor turned out to be virtually unsteerable due to immediate wheelies when accelerating! 

I got the best air time on the ramp, though

20180326_000633

4 Year old

20180325_153937

9 Year old

Dad😁

Maelstrom,

What car is the red, white and blue one? That's a REALLY nice look buggy. Can I ask what mods/wheels you're running? 

EDIT: Found it, Tamiya Super Fighter. Those black wheels make a HUGE difference. 

I guess foxes can jump - especially of the RC variety!

Paint is underway over here:

es1fnm.jpg

Our first completion of the day:

f42te.jpg

It is about the only item that has gone well so far, unfortunately :unsure:

• Like 4

I ordered a DN-01 Zahhak and a F104W Wolf WR1 from Tamiya USA today.  Both will be built and driven...  fast!  Both are at decent prices - $110 USD and $99 USD.  Cheap thrills...

Searching on "Zahhak," it's amazing this forum has talked about it periodically since 2010, and yet there are no build threads for it.  I'm thinking about doing a build thread to mirror @Effigy3's TRF201 build thread and try a speed run in @Jason1145's thread.

I do love my F103GT LM Nismo, but I've been wondering what it would be like if Tamiya had introduced a F104GT...  This is yet another semi-custom project percolating in the back of my head...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

I do love my F103GT LM Nismo, but I've been wondering what it would be like if Tamiya had introduced a F104GT...  This is yet another semi-custom project percolating in the back of my head...

Yes to the F104GT - I wonder if the new generation of Le Mans prototypes will look good with the longer wheelbase...

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

I ordered a DN-01 Zahhak and a F104W Wolf WR1 from Tamiya USA today.  Both will be built and driven...  fast!  Both are at decent prices - $110 USD and $99 USD.  Cheap thrills...

Searching on "Zahhak," it's amazing this forum has talked about it periodically since 2010, and yet there are no build threads for it.  I'm thinking about doing a build thread to mirror @Effigy3's TRF201 build thread and try a speed run in @Jason1145's thread.

Right.... you’re build tread on the Wolf might encourage me to build mine if it doesn’t sell before then, yes cheap prices indeed you Umericans are lucky for sure, it cost me another $50 to post it to the UK.

I know you will do a good job on the WR1 shell as that’s the daunting but for me, hurry up already will ya!

The Zahnak is a mystery to me, probably lots of others too so I’ll look out for future news again ;)

• Like 1

Finally made sone real progress on my daughters 1st RC. Bearing in mind I've been sat with this so long it's only after the strip down & rebuild that I realised this is an original release model, which would explain why it was so abused. At last it's back together & painted, so testing everything fully tonight before giving it to her at the weekend. Managed to resist the urge of dropping in a 12 triple motor that was in the spares box 😁

40153565345_12f02e8c99_b.jpg26175951477_b6c77ab257_b.jpg

• Like 5

Having ordered a CR-01 on a whim, I started researching it a bit more!

It seems like not much needs upgrading from stock, which is nice.

A bearing set will get ordered - 40 bearings! Just a few shy of the Konghead?

A decent servo looks to be required, I have an Alturn AAS750MG. It has a torque rating of 9.6kg/cm.

Will this be strong enough? I’ll be keeping it stock to begin with but may have weighted 2.2 wheels in future...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Ooooh, I'd love to see the differences between the two kits!  I've always assumed it was just a matter of different plastics and a swap out of TRF shocks for CVAs.  I agree that a nice build thread on the Zahhak is past due.

I got my NOS vintage GHII decals put on my other Super G last night. 

ac2bbaf19db118159e94946c3df6a701.jpg

• Like 2

On 26.3.2018 at 6:06 PM, NWarty said:

Maelstrom,

What car is the red, white and blue one? That's a REALLY nice look buggy. Can I ask what mods/wheels you're running? 

EDIT: Found it, Tamiya Super Fighter. Those black wheels make a HUGE difference. 

The front wheels are from the Carson all-terrain wheel set for the DT02 (the set looks great and doesn't cost much) the rear wheels were lying around in  my spare wheel box and were chosen by my 4 year old "cos they're big and chunky, Dad!" 

12 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Dn01 is a great build and handles great. The only differences are hex screws, lots of parts are plastic (including shims),ball diff doesnt have shims, dog bones and trf shocks. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, max69vk said:

Finally made sone real progress on my daughters 1st RC. Bearing in mind I've been sat with this so long it's only after the strip down & rebuild that I realised this is an original release model, which would explain why it was so abused. At last it's back together & painted, so testing everything fully tonight before giving it to her at the weekend. Managed to resist the urge of dropping in a 12 triple motor that was in the spares box 😁

40153565345_12f02e8c99_b.jpg26175951477_b6c77ab257_b.jpg

A great 1st choice for little kids and big ones!

13 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

WP_20180327_18_39_18_Pro.thumb.jpg.3d7b75c9695a0fc3bb42720bfe20c56a.jpgWP_20180327_18_39_42_Pro.thumb.jpg.8087b9ff9c42fd4dcb854ef3f4ddf94a.jpgWP_20180327_18_40_21_Pro.thumb.jpg.83a46b6bb890b342a749e65f9ef5b908.jpg

Excuse the excessive toe-in (And rubish photos). Here's my F103/F104GT Hybrid. F103 Chassis with F104 front suspension and F104 rear gearbox setup.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2018 at 8:55 AM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Do you race that in the M chassis class or do you have to run in touring cars? Seems like it would have a pretty big advantage...

It's not actually legal to use in any of our local classes, I raced it in one heat just to see what it could do. Obviously it walked all over the other M cars that were racing as well as all the tt01's. I built it knowing I couldn't race it, I just wanted a nippy 4x4 mini!

• Like 1

On 25/03/2018 at 5:50 AM, Wooders28 said:

Managed to squeeze in a quick 5 mins (🙄😙) and get an aluminium servo mount fitted and the body posts mounted for the dodge charger body on the, determined not to turn it into a project, DT03 sand basher.....

2018-03-25_04-15-23

Nah. Don’t be daft. Turn it into a project! I like reading what people have done to their dt03’s. Gives me ideas to tinker about with 😁

34 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Nah. Don’t be daft. Turn it into a project!

My projects seem to grow arms and legs , end up taking 3 times longer and cost 10 times more! 🙄😂

35 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

I like reading what people have done to their dt03’s. Gives me ideas to tinker about with 😁

So far, i bought the roller off a fellow member for £30 (if I remember right), fitted uprated driveshafts,adjustable turnbuckles, 3racing shocks (rebuilt with softer oil) , filled the diff with superglue, welded some flat bar to a bit of angle iron to make a ,lipo holding bumper, fitted some fastrax mega V's to the rear and ran 59mph with 5s -5700kv 🖒

All I wanted to do was to throw a pair of paddle tyres on, a different body and go sand bashing!! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AndyForbes said:

WP_20180327_18_39_18_Pro.thumb.jpg.3d7b75c9695a0fc3bb42720bfe20c56a.jpgWP_20180327_18_39_42_Pro.thumb.jpg.8087b9ff9c42fd4dcb854ef3f4ddf94a.jpgWP_20180327_18_40_21_Pro.thumb.jpg.83a46b6bb890b342a749e65f9ef5b908.jpg

Excuse the excessive toe-in (And rubish photos). Here's my F103/F104GT Hybrid. F103 Chassis with F104 front suspension and F104 rear gearbox setup.

Hey, that's pretty cool!  The path I was considering was starting with a F104W chassis, use F103GT front uprights and the F103GT rear axle to get 12mm wheel hexes all around.  I'll have to ponder this some more.

I soldered up a motor and ESC for my speed run M05 tonight.  THIS time I have an ESC that can handle the 3.5T / 9410kV motor without limiting it artificially!  Everything is now installed and calibrated, so I'm just waiting on the battery before giving it another try.

• Like 2

Got home from work this morning at 6am and started to do a few bits on the new Laguna shell that came from Mokei Kagaku. Masked and painted the front splitter area as per the 1998 car with some Tamiya PC5 black polycarbonate brush on paint, and also masked and started to paint the window surrounds etc too . Going to start a build thread later today/tomorrow and update as the week goes on. :)

Forgot how good it is to use the brush on black paint too.

James.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Having ordered a CR-01 on a whim, I started researching it a bit more!

It seems like not much needs upgrading from stock, which is nice.

A bearing set will get ordered - 40 bearings! Just a few shy of the Konghead?

A decent servo looks to be required, I have an Alturn AAS750MG. It has a torque rating of 9.6kg/cm.

Will this be strong enough? I’ll be keeping it stock to begin with but may have weighted 2.2 wheels in future...

That servo should be fine. I quickly added 4 wheel steering as the lock isn’t good with the diffs locked. It’s nice it comes with a high toque servo saver & most of the bits for 4WS.

I also had to get the option 54108 reinforced drive shaft & diff lock as the splines got ripped out of the stock rear diff very quickly with it locked. It’s fine with that in but I can’t unlock the rear diff now, the diffs it comes with that you can unlock in minutes were the reason I got it!! 

Did you get the Rock Socker? I got one of the last of them at the lower price about a year ago, I believe all CR-01 kits are the same price now. The others were a lot more expensive but then I found they came with a full set of ball races, adding all those the ball races makes it much more expensive! I was assuming the new more expensive Rock Socker would come with full bearings. 

I took mine away on holiday in a rush to build with my boy not realising it needed the 1050 bearings rather than the usual (cheeper) 1150s I had to strip it again after I got home to fit the 1050s, then half again shortly after to fit that option diff! It’s been great since then though :) 

Thanks @Andyrt200, that’s much appreciated.

I really like the Rock Socker - the side on pic on the Modelsport website looks great to me - but have ended up with a Toyota FJ from Tamico. 

I saw a build thread for the FJ which indicated that it came with bearings. I hope so, that would be nice.

I had read about the drive shafts, will put those on the list. I’ll mull over 4WS too - it will be my first foray into this territory and I don’t know whether I’ll have terrain that requires it. Food for thought.

7 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Thanks @Andyrt200, that’s much appreciated.

I really like the Rock Socker - the side on pic on the Modelsport website looks great to me - but have ended up with a Toyota FJ from Tamico. 

I saw a build thread for the FJ which indicated that it came with bearings. I hope so, that would be nice.

I had read about the drive shafts, will put those on the list. I’ll mull over 4WS too - it will be my first foray into this territory and I don’t know whether I’ll have terrain that requires it. Food for thought.

No problem. I wasn’t keen on 4WS to start with but decided to add it on the second rebuild of the rear axle it make a big difference. Its nice to try it with out 4WS first though, you don’t need to take much off to add it later. I did some custom TX mods for the 4WS I must get round to posting then some time. Here it is in action:

4 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

No problem. I wasn’t keen on 4WS to start with but decided to add it on the second rebuild of the rear axle it make a big difference. Its nice to try it with out 4WS first though, you don’t need to take much off to add it later. I did some custom TX mods for the 4WS I must get round to posting then some time. Here it is in action:

You’ve convinced me on the 4WS with that video!