Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Whereabouts in the country do you race @TurnipJF?

I'm looking to try visiting some local clubs to see whether I can get more out of the hobby but the idea of turning up without knowing a soul is quite daunting :lol:

Not sure of the Tamiyaclub forum etiquette regarding promoting other clubs on the open forums, so I'll PM you the club details in a sec. :)

29 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

My F103 is still in excellent condition thanks, looking forward to its next race meet. There is another plan for this one.

There are a few of us at work who race RCs over lunch or after close of shift, and sometimes at a club when our shift patterns allow it. Three of us have F103s, the fourth has a HPI F10. He is usually at the back of the pack, but is unsure whether it is due to his driving or his car.

While he is happy to buy another car if it makes a difference to his performance, he is not the sort to spend money needlessly, so has been umming and aahing for weeks now as to whether or not to jump on the F103 bandwagon like the rest of us.

To resolve this, I have bought a F103 off @Wooders28, which I will be building to the same spec as my existing racer and lending to him for a few meets. If it improves his performance, he has agreed to buy it off me. If not, I'll keep it as a spare.

Part of me rather hopes he decides not to buy it off me, as a spare car would be handy. The club we race at is almost two hours' drive away, and we only get to go about once a month if that due to our shifts, so the last thing I want is to have to miss any racing due to breakage or malfunction of my race car. 

Thats cool doing that for him. I've wondered about doing a similar thing to get a mate to come along, like maybe replace the TA07 next season and give it to someone to get them started so I have someone to race with. 

Which leads to this...

14 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Whereabouts in the country do you race @TurnipJF?

I'm looking to try visiting some local clubs to see whether I can get more out of the hobby but the idea of turning up without knowing a soul is quite daunting :lol:

I did exactly that, turned up to clubs without knowing anyone but have always found most people are really welcoming so its worth taking the plunge and going along! I now have a group I hang out with at each club

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I did exactly that, turned up to clubs without knowing anyone but have always found most people are really welcoming so its worth taking the plunge and going along! I now have a group I hang out with at each club

I did the same, when I found out about a local club I went along one night to have a watch for a little while. Then over Christmas the club has an all day event, again I went for a watch and later in the day went back and took my 4yr old twin boys so they could see.

Then, once I'd gathered everything needed to go racing, I went along and joined in a few weeks ago.

I'm not the sort to go wandering up to total strangers and go "hi how are you doing?" But when I did get engaged in conversation with people they were all friendly enough.

• Like 1

Just took delivery of a project TA01 and found a little surpise. 

20180418_133551.jpg

Couple more photos from last night after getting the driver painted, decaled and installed window netting glued in. (Hotshot rere netting used). 

Fog lights are painted and done and installing them this evening. Think I'm going to go with the MCI decal sheet with KC's up top, and Marchal's down below. 

23947c8511d3ddb44e1123e605794c36.jpg
804340e52341887a827e0ff6f6d49df3.jpg
a9ec5ed37e9792131fc386d6ee9b3925.jpg

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, NWarty said:

Couple more photos from last night after getting the driver painted, decaled and installed window netting glued in. (Hotshot rere netting used). 

Fog lights are painted and done and installing them this evening. Think I'm going to go with the MCI decal sheet with KC's up top, and Marchal's down below. 

Loving this. Attention is 👌 

Is it going on a shelf or are you going to run it?

2 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Loving this. Attention is 👌 

Is it going on a shelf or are you going to run it?

This is a runner Monkey. Just hate thinking about scraping the body up though :(

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NWarty said:

This is a runner Monkey. Just hate thinking about scraping the body up though :(

Nice. I like runners! 

Just think of the scars as adding character 😁

• Like 1

Instead of adding more cars (for first time) I prepared one of our 3 Madbulls for sale and added one of the new waterproof ESC, radio gear, battery and charger to bundle and photoed for Gumtree.

Of course a lot of its hop ups were transplanted to our other two cars and the shell was debated over as to which our youngest son wanted to keep. His sisters is Pink so its staying where it is.

All checked and photoed in the SUN........ outside. add written and posted,. Now I just need a customer. This will help with my expanding collection!!!! by part funding my BigWig search

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NWarty said:

As a massive Williams F1 fan I approve whole heartedly :) looks awesome.

James.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

As a massive Williams F1 fan I approve whole heartedly :) looks awesome.

James.

Thanks James! Mansell's 1992 Williams FW14B is my favorite F1 car of all time. 

I have the Tamiya 1/12 Williams FW14 static kit also. With every single bit of kit for it. Electrical connectors, hydraulic couplings, photo-etch, you name it. Just can't build up enough resolve to start on it. My last kit was a Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/8, Senna's ride. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@NWarty loving your work. Also strongly approve of it being a runner.

Thank you Cy and Alex! 

• Like 1

Put some more work into the crawler/trail area I'm building on the infield portion of my little dirt track in my backyard.

Scale dry creek bed in progress:

41507713492_1295d01912_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

• Like 6

Picked up my new motor and promptly hid it in the garage, even though it is known about...

Had a good chat with the seller, he ordered it from a place in Australia and the box said 13.5T but the motor is 21.5T. Rather than post it back he negotiated a discount on a replacement, so I benefited from that, score! It also has a fancy sensor board as well as the original which is how it manages 25,500rpm/3100kv for a 21.5T motor. 

Also had the strangest conversation with my wife. She saw me looking at escs and motors and asked about it. I told her that i was researching a new motor/esc combo for my 4wd buggy since the speed is a problem for me now and I think I'm midpack and held back by pure speed. She found that interesting, even when I told her how much it will cost. I 'think' I just got signoff from the finance committee...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Picked up my new motor and promptly hid it in the garage, even though it is known about...

Had a good chat with the seller, he ordered it from a place in Australia and the box said 13.5T but the motor is 21.5T. Rather than post it back he negotiated a discount on a replacement, so I benefited from that, score! It also has a fancy sensor board as well as the original which is how it manages 25,500rpm/3100kv for a 21.5T motor. 

Also had the strangest conversation with my wife. She saw me looking at escs and motors and asked about it. I told her that i was researching a new motor/esc combo for my 4wd buggy since the speed is a problem for me now and I think I'm midpack and held back by pure speed. She found that interesting, even when I told her how much it will cost. I 'think' I just got signoff from the finance committee...

Sounds like when I was a kid and would stare longingly at the Transformers in the toy shop, hoping my folks would let me get one :)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Hairyjon313 said:

Just took delivery of a project TA01 and found a little surpise. 

20180418_133551.jpg

Nice:wub: lets hope you can find a way to bring the decal back to life;)!

So I took the GH 2 out tonight to test it. Threw on the day-glow rear wheels and outside we go. First run on the GoolRC 3000kv brushless motor and 45a ESC. 3000mah 6-cell Nimh pack installed along with an 18t pinion. 

It’s SUPER fast even on a 6-cell pack. Very little to no cogging. It’s nearly too fast for such an ancient design. I flipped it in a turn the very first pass and broke the lower shock joint, i.e. the yellow CVA shock bottom. 30 sec fix with another black shock bottom. I REALLY had to dial back the steering dual rate. The Airtronics servo is much faster than my Futabas and has a much longer throw, It’s fun though to go this fast again but she seems to cruise nicely at half throttle. Thinking I need to upgrade the steering tie-rods to DF-03 standards. 

Very glad I ran it WITHOUT the body for first time. Nearly learned my lesson.I have to be super careful going into turns on asphalt, as the GH2 will flip over at higher speeds.  

Last night I got the rear fogs mounted up and wired up the front fog lights as the new bumper should be here Saturday. 

c630e8801fde42cf2b5cf0ddb674f512.jpg
dec2b8380ec89675bb261a5f5c06bbba.jpg
9e02b25ca903e624ed2e2f26372fa044.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NWarty said:

So I took the GH 2 out tonight to test it. Threw on the day-glow rear wheels and outside we go. First run on the GoolRC 3000kv brushless motor and 45a ESC. 3000mah 6-cell Nimh pack installed along with an 18t pinion. 

It’s SUPER fast even on a 6-cell pack. Very little to no cogging. It’s nearly too fast for such an ancient design. I flipped it in a turn the very first pass and broke the lower shock joint, i.e. the yellow CVA shock bottom. 30 sec fix with another black shock bottom. I REALLY had to dial back the steering dual rate. The Airtronics servo is much faster than my Futabas and has a much longer throw, It’s fun though to go this fast again but she seems to cruise nicely at half throttle. Thinking I need to upgrade the steering tie-rods to DF-03 standards. 

Very glad I ran it WITHOUT the body for first time. Nearly learned my lesson.I have to be super careful going into turns on asphalt, as the GH2 will flip over at higher speeds.  

Last night I got the rear fogs mounted up and wired up the front fog lights as the new bumper should be here Saturday. 

c630e8801fde42cf2b5cf0ddb674f512.jpg
dec2b8380ec89675bb261a5f5c06bbba.jpg
9e02b25ca903e624ed2e2f26372fa044.jpg

Looks and sounds great! What wheels and tyres are you using please? I'm after something to increase the clearance on my Dark Impact.

13 minutes ago, mman2005 said:

Looks and sounds great! What wheels and tyres are you using please? I'm after something to increase the clearance on my Dark Impact.

Thank you mman!

Honestly, they're a generic Chinese brand that a distributor in the States was carrying. No manufacturer name for the product. I paid $15 USD shipped for the set. Found on ebay with the title "4pcs 5 spoke Front Rear Wheel Rim Tire RC Car 1/10 Off-road For Buggy US Shippin" 

Tires/Wheel size: Front: Diameter 85mm, Width: 34mm, Hex Hub: 12mm

Rear: Diameter 85mm, Width: 42mm, Hex Hub: 12mm

Got to drive a 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography Range Rover 30 odd miles up north to change over winter tyres to summer tyres... this thing drinks petrol like you wouldn't believe and the torque from take off leaves you slammed into the back of the seat.... all while trying to gauge exactly how far out in front the bonnet actually is!

iP4CTkl.jpg

Back to RC stuff and it hit 30 defrees fahrenheit today in London, well, inside my ride it was, so........ perfect time to take the M03 for a little spin...

7cm0njP.jpg

kWZ7xvI.jpg

However I hit a post straight on and lost steering.... the screw holding the servo saver on stripped out the servo... no threads left inside :(

Luckily I found the little black o ring to go with my screw.... now to transplant out this Acoms servo for a waterproof one...

Q6rPbxS.jpg

And these just arrived today from Hobbyking.... 3 x waterproof servo's :) 

1uiMtVg.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, NWarty said:

Thank you mman!

Honestly, they're a generic Chinese brand that a distributor in the States was carrying. No manufacturer name for the product. I paid $15 USD shipped for the set. Found on ebay with the title "4pcs 5 spoke Front Rear Wheel Rim Tire RC Car 1/10 Off-road For Buggy US Shippin" 

Tires/Wheel size: Front: Diameter 85mm, Width: 34mm, Hex Hub: 12mm

Rear: Diameter 85mm, Width: 42mm, Hex Hub: 12mm

Thanks for the info! Will take a look

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Back to RC stuff and it hit 30 defrees fahrenheit today in London, well, inside my ride it was, so........ perfect time to take the M03 for a little spin...

7cm0njP.jpg

Oof...that's warm for you guys :o

24 minutes ago, mman2005 said:

Thanks for the info! Will take a look

Absolutely! Sorry I couldn't be more help. 

• Like 1