Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Certainly looks like it shifts some. 

Yep 5200kv and 2s here... I pulled the 6900kv out at the last minute thinking a 2WD parachute car doesn’t need it... will speed run it soon hopefully... there is room on the motor mount for bigger pinions too... the front will need weighing down for sure but I happy to have a grass capable car again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whahooo said:

Today i put 2 Super Stock BZ Motors with 0 Timinig into my more than ugly Wild dagger.

I really need a new Bodyshell, maybe a Clod Buster Lexan Shell if such thin exists??

IMG_20180422_104427056.thumb.jpg.c7ddff609518c72927a8ee5aab305754.jpg

Actually like that shell, has an air of 'Fall guy' about it 👍

• Like 2

Started to lay some paint on the , determined not to turn it into a project,  beach basher....project 

Very quickly found out I HATE FIDDLY MASKS, and that rattle tins are great for large areas, not to great for detail 🤔🙈

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whahooo said:

Today i put 2 Super Stock BZ Motors with 0 Timinig into my more than ugly Wild dagger.

I really need a new Bodyshell, maybe a Clod Buster Lexan Shell if such thin exists??

IMG_20180422_104427056.thumb.jpg.c7ddff609518c72927a8ee5aab305754.jpg

Is one of them a reverse rotation? Did you just turn the end bell?  I'm curious because I ran my Dagger last night on a 7.2v and it was slow as heck with the two 540s. I then tried out a 2s lipo and that helped a little more.   

Here is an ugly dagger/detonator, I used this body to race in the early 90's and mounted it on last night. When I raced, I didn't give a care about how the car looked (clearly):

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

Today I drove my brushless HSP Brontosaurus on 3s (huge fun!) also my brushless Chinese E-Maxx clone on 3s (intimidating!) and my good ol' silver can powered Lunchbox on 2s!

U4oet0h.jpg

2nKICiy.jpg

• Like 7

Had a fantastic day out with @Gooneybird and his wife at the beach, and an opportunity to run 2 of my re-releases for the first time.

It's not often you see an XR311 out in the wild, particularly one driven in anger. With the kit motor and a 7.2v Nimh it was great fun on the firm sand down near the water,

drifting sideways at full speed like it was on ice. It survived the ordeal intact, with no parts lost!

The Novafox with a Superstock BZ and 2s LiPo was unstoppable, even on the very soft loose powdery sand at the top of the beach.

Photos by @Gooneybird

IMG_3279_zpstmowqohr.jpg

IMG_3341_zpsvkmwwf2v.jpg

IMG_3277_zpsb3quzn9m.jpg

IMG_3287_zpsxnbwtv7y.jpg

IMG_3298_zpsf1r8uhpj.jpg

IMG_3299_zpsjdxxn6nj.jpg

IMG_3355_zpsh8ggsgdx.jpg

IMG_3307_zpsjime7a21.jpg

IMG_3359_zpszbagvk0r.jpg

IMG_3404_zps1udl58b4.jpg

IMG_3391_zpsuoxarrb4.jpg

• Like 17

Stickers on the azarashi quracca body to finish it off and made some more transmission brackets for Ultra G.

Tamiya DT03 Chassis fitted with a Team Azarashi Quracca body and wing. Tamiya PS18 paint. Decal Designs orange carbon Tamiya TRF repro decals

Soldered some more deans connectors onto things. Nice RC day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fuijo said:

Had a fantastic day out with @Gooneybird and his wife at the beach, and an opportunity to run 2 of my re-releases for the first time.

It's not often you see an XR311 out in the wild, particularly one driven in anger. With the kit motor and a 7.2v Nimh it was great fun on the firm sand down near the water,

drifting sideways at full speed like it was on ice. It survived the ordeal intact, with no parts lost!

The Novafox with a Superstock BZ and 2s LiPo was unstoppable, even on the very soft loose powdery sand at the top of the beach.

Photos by @Gooneybird

IMG_3279_zpstmowqohr.jpg

IMG_3341_zpsvkmwwf2v.jpg

IMG_3277_zpsb3quzn9m.jpg

IMG_3287_zpsxnbwtv7y.jpg

IMG_3298_zpsf1r8uhpj.jpg

IMG_3299_zpsjdxxn6nj.jpg

IMG_3355_zpsh8ggsgdx.jpg

IMG_3307_zpsjime7a21.jpg

IMG_3359_zpszbagvk0r.jpg

IMG_3404_zps1udl58b4.jpg

IMG_3391_zpsuoxarrb4.jpg

Have you added AW grease to the diff on your Novafox, or are you just running it stock? My DT-02 has a tendency to dig in on the softer sand until 1 wheel is spinning with no traction, while the Sand Scorcher has no issues due to no diff. Just curious about your setup.

Thanks

35 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

Have you added AW grease to the diff on your Novafox, or are you just running it stock? My DT-02 has a tendency to dig in on the softer sand until 1 wheel is spinning with no traction, while the Sand Scorcher has no issues due to no diff. Just curious about your setup.

Thanks

Hi Biz. I didn't use AW grease on the Novafox. I think it's mostly those tyres that allow it to get through the soft stuff. They're quite good as sand paddles.

Neither my Scorcher or my Fighting Buggy could cope with anything other than downhill on the same surface with stock tyres. The Novafox was not so restricted, as long as power was kept on all the time.

Yesterday... but spent a good sunny afternoon in the backyard and driveway with my kids and ran my vintage bullhead and midnight pumpkin, and also my rerelease flogged out lunchbox, my dump truck and konghead. My boy (1 yo) had fun chasing them up and down the garden and my daughter  (3yo) was getting upset because daddy wouldn't give her a go of some of them.

I cant believe how different a stock vintage, mint, barely run midnight pumpkin is to a sport tuned, oil shocked, worn out and sloppy loud rerelease lunchbox is. So chalk and cheese for comparable chassis'!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Fuijo said:

Hi Biz. I didn't use AW grease on the Novafox. I think it's mostly those tyres that allow it to get through the soft stuff. They're quite good as sand paddles.

Neither my Scorcher or my Fighting Buggy could cope with anything other than downhill on the same surface with stock tyres. The Novafox was not so restricted, as long as power was kept on all the time.

I think my problem could be that the tires are too aggressive

https://store.rc4wd.com/Sand-Thrasher-Rear-19-Tires_p_2050.html

They get some serious bite, but they dig a hole easily. I'm only running a silver can on nimh batteries. I'm going to try some AW grease to see how it goes. I may try the stock spikes next time to see if that's the issue.

4 hours ago, Biz73 said:

I think my problem could be that the tires are too aggressive

https://store.rc4wd.com/Sand-Thrasher-Rear-19-Tires_p_2050.html

They get some serious bite, but they dig a hole easily. I'm only running a silver can on nimh batteries. I'm going to try some AW grease to see how it goes. I may try the stock spikes next time to see if that's the issue.

Those tyres should be ideal. Proper sand paddles.

If you're hitting the soft sand at full speed and it's still bogging down and getting stuck, then I'd guess that the silver can/Nimh combo has insufficient power to keep up momentum. With the

heavy nickel battery compounding the problem.

On 4/21/2018 at 9:03 PM, novicelad said:

My son and I went over the playing field with my DT-03 and his mad bull, trouble is the grass was too long so took it to the dusty track behind it. Did crap loads of doughnuts and made an excellent dust cloud. My DT03 running brushless and 3s was excellent fun, my sons mad bull on  silver can with 2s is great fun too. 

What a coincidence, my son and I did exactly the same, him with his Mad Bull but NiMh and me with my brushless DT-03 but only on 2s, I bet it absolutely flies on 3s!

Taking stock after a week away at my brother in laws, driving/crashing/repairing cars on his sprint car track. Lots of fun had by all, but there is always some repairing to do, or cars to clean up after some serious hard driving. Never fails to amaze how a sprint car race often ends up developing into a demolition derby. 

Have already got the next supply of rear tires ordered up for the next race 6 months away.

My ebay bargain of a FAV (now with a 3000kV motor) was surprisingly good to drive on the sprint car track with the stock tyres. Working on finding some half decent soft rear tyres now.

55 minutes ago, SurreyDad said:

What a coincidence, my son and I did exactly the same, him with his Mad Bull but NiMh and me with my brushless DT-03 but only on 2s, I bet it absolutely flies on 3s!

It does and when you give it a little push on the long grass it skips across it like a little speed boat! Will try and get a video but its great fun! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fuijo said:

Those tyres should be ideal. Proper sand paddles.

If you're hitting the soft sand at full speed and it's still bogging down and getting stuck, then I'd guess that the silver can/Nimh combo has insufficient power to keep up momentum. With the

heavy nickel battery compounding the problem.

Once you are moving it tends to drive fine, but you have to throttle up slowly. If you try to gun it, those things are like shovels that dig holes until 1 starts to lose traction and the other stops completely. The heavy old Sand Scorcher does better. On the slightly harder packed sand closer to the water is a different story. The light chassis and monster paddles launch that little Holiday Buggy. Fun pair of cars to play on the beach with.

Ok, sorry for the derail everyone, I just had to ask.

I have a vintage FAV chassis. I'm thinking about piecing together a FAV for my next resto. I've got enough pieces from my old Wild One to get a decent start. Along with wheels, adapters, suspension, etc. 

My wife is going to kill me. 

Rear Tamiya aluminum adapters came in today as did the bumper from TC member PintoPower via Shapeways :) 

Just waiting on the front fogs and spot light decals now. I’m also upgrading the steering linkages to bolted tie rods also. 

We’re almost to the finish line!

A gorgeous day outside to take photos 

7aeffc16ec155366b45223ffa94f9d32.jpg

ea6c32ad28fc4c7328ccbd557a8015bc.jpg

97a577be24f3dcc289b709787eaed050.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NWarty said:

Rear Tamiya aluminum adapters came in today as did the bumper from TC member PintoPower via Shapeways :) 

Just waiting on the front fogs and spot light decals now. I’m also upgrading the steering linkages to bolted tie rods also. 

That's inspired, the Williams colour scheme really suits the shell. Now you've done the best F1 car (Huge fan of Mansell and the Fw14b) how about a McLaren MP 4/4... Or a 7up 91 Jordan... Or a 79 JPS Lotus.... I can feel a theme coming on!! 

2 hours ago, NWarty said:

That. Looks. Brilliant.

I bought a ready to fit Zakspeed Capri shell with lights as I’m buying back my TT01E this weekend with it’s heavily bruised Golf shell.

I figured the Golf will be for go and the Capri for show 👍

• Like 2

Looks fantastic @NWarty

I’ve improvised some carbon shock tower guards for the DT03 using some panel trim/edging I had left over from working on the car. 

41667573901_855a9ee5f3_z.jpg

26800757407_fe1284d56f_z.jpg

They ain’t pretty(!) but hopefully they prove effective in protecting them a bit from the worst the girls can do to it until the truck body is sorted. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Looks fantastic @NWarty

I’ve improvised some carbon shock tower guards for the DT03 using some panel trim/edging I had left over from working on the car. 

41667573901_855a9ee5f3_z.jpg

26800757407_fe1284d56f_z.jpg

They ain’t pretty(!) but hopefully they prove effective in protecting them a bit from the worst the girls can do to it until the truck body is sorted. 

Nice idea! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mman2005 said:

Nice idea! 

Thanks.

Was actually working on the car thinking...

“hmm, I bet this would fit on the shock towers too”

I think I might have a problem 😂