Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Truck Norris said:

Finished the third M3, my most detailed built yet: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=132241&id=43050

m3-auto-tech-frontside.jpg

m3-auto-tech-detail-fuel-fillers.jpg

Please ease my conscience and tell your Vehicles are either built buy micro robots in a lab, or are seriously photoshopped!!!

Truly amazing talent to aspire to.  ‘Toys they are not’ has never been so apt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Went for a nice Sunday rip around the grounds at the local pool... 

I tried the sand volleyball courts, but I had the wrong tires.  She kept getting stuck in the soft sand...  So I moved out to the gravel parking area, which has been freshly graded and rolled...

The Bushy D held up really well in a gravel lot, going full tilt, for about 10-15 minutes.  I had a great time and the Bushy D performed great.  I was really surprised.  I must say that the CVA shocks I installed over the winter have made driving leaps and bounds better than they used to be with the cheap-o chinese EBAY shocks (yeah racing).

The Bushy D was doing very nicely until *whamo* I drove into one of the logs lining the side...  Snapped the front bumper clean off...  Dang, that CRP extended front bumper support was my rarest RC piece!  https://jpegbay.com/gallery/006927712-.html#1

So I went home and cried a little bit...

I decided to make up for it by installing the roll-bar I got last week...  Typical BF rollbar kit, from re-re parts.  Sprayed black with something I found in the tool shed.  Mounted with some random screws from the toolbox.  I used a couple of washer and one of the nylon 1150 bearings (sprayed black) that we all have lying around.  Came out pretty good, I must say!  https://jpegbay.com/gallery/006927714-.html#1

Yeah!  The Bushy D is happy again.  And I must admit, I like the way it looks without the front bumper.  And I really like the roll-bar!

Just now, while I was checking it over, I found a problem.  The screw holding the rear tie-rod has almost backed itself completely out.  Losing this would have been catastrophic!  Makes me wonder if the Bushy D dove into the log to save itself...  https://jpegbay.com/gallery/006927718-.html#1

Its a little too late in the evening to do a repair.  I'll leave it for when I do the complete teardown to install a new front bumper support and new bumper...

Terry

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Please ease my conscience and tell your Vehicles are either built buy micro robots in a lab, or are seriously photoshopped!!!

Truly amazing talent to aspire to.  ‘Toys they are not’ has never been so apt.

Thank you! It's really just knowing how to use tools - the cutting machine makes a perfectly shaped splitter and window trims, tracing the Auto Tech logo in Adobe Illustrator to make the driver stickers etc. Real talent is the people who can shape body parts by hand, cut out window trims from the sticker sheet with unwavering accuracy, or hand paint logos to perfection :)

I'll take the compliment though :D

I use Photoshop to process the photos, just colour adjustments if the camera doesn't pick it up right, or removing spots of dust. It's so tempting to just edit out any mistakes I've made with the car but that I would definitely consider cheating!

• Like 1

I’ve come to the sad conclusion that it’s time to sell off some cars and kit.

Its been over 2 years since I have done anything meaningful and I don’t see me having anytime soon to tinker or run them.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Ha looks killer!! That’s a lot of masking there well done.

I’m also planning on doing a ‘oink piggy pink pink’ car disguised as a car for my little girl.. she does like pink 🐷 

Thanks for all the positive reactions, I wasn’t sure if it would go down well! I wouldn’t use the TS-25 pink Jason both my girl & I were disappointed how light it was, if you’re using the PS range you’ll likely have a better choice of pinks. Her body was going to be just purple & pink, the TS-24 purple is nice, but we didn’t want to use so much of the pink after at test spray hence giving her a choice of the other colours! The TS-18 metallic red is really nice, I don’t know how well it shows in the pictures but the metallic really stands out on the curves of the well arches in the truck bed. 

Masking was a pain, especially when she excitedly pulled off the last strip & it ripped off the undercoat so I had to do one side again!  I’d intended to use 1:1 paint over the whole thing a year or two ago but never got round to it, so the 1:1 undercoat wasn’t even necessary!

7 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Seeing the smiles on our kids faces is one of the best parts of this hobby!

Absolutely, we have some very nice 1:1s but you can’t involve the kids with them to the same degree & they don’t have the same interest as something they can drive them selves & call their own. At the end of the day a 1:1 that’s only really useful on the race track is a toy, you may as well play with toys your kids can enjoy too!  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Biz73 said:

I added AW grease to the diff in my Midnight Pumpkin and took it to the park for a little driving. It made a lot more of a difference than I was expecting. Time to do it to the rest of my open diff cars.

I’ve heard a few people saying this recently, I be interested to hear how long it stays effective for. 

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

Thanks for all the positive reactions, I wasn’t sure if it would go down well! I wouldn’t use the TS-25 pink Jason both my girl & I were disappointed how light it was, if you’re using the PS range you’ll likely have a better choice of pinks. Her body was going to be just purple & pink, the TS-24 purple is nice, but we didn’t want to use so much of the pink after at test spray hence giving her a choice of the other colours! The TS-18 metallic red is really nice, I don’t know how well it shows in the pictures but the metallic really stands out on the curves of the well arches in the truck bed. 

Noted, thanks I’m off to buy a PS-18 now!

I would have tried to back any faint colour that I wanted fuller with some white paint... I’ve had a few that were too translucent before but the white fills them out nicely.

I’m looking at a Tamiya sparkling pink anodised aluminium PS-50 paint for when I try a pink project, come on, it’s SPARKLING!

(but will back it all with white again regardless)

• Like 1

Put in an order today which should get me ready for plenty to do over the summer and into the autumn -

Another can to PS5 black to finish the bumpers and arches of my Bowler.

Washers, tyres and foams for my wife’s M03.

Paint for my Asterion.

Diff for my ORV project 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Put in an order today which should get me ready for plenty to do over the summer and into the autumn -

Another can to PS5 black to finish the bumpers and arches of my Bowler.

Washers, tyres and foams for my wife’s M03.

Paint for my Asterion.

Diff for my ORV project 

Pfft ‘‘tis But an afternoons work there ;)

Whats the washers for the M03 for, body post hole protection?

7 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

I’ve heard a few people saying this recently, I be interested to hear how long it stays effective for. 

I'm curious to find out how long it lasts as well. I had read about doing it, but wasn't expecting much.  I didn't get stuck in the grass with 1 wheels spinning, which usually happens at least a few times. It may be that it only works for the first couple runs. I'll find out soon.

• Like 1

Not today, but yesterday I worked some more on my crawler area.  The head of the dry creek leads into a drainage pipe underneath where part of the rally section will be.

27919287678_3e1cd4cb7b_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

41070265124_9e736a54ba_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

the rally section will be some sweeping turns that run inbetween the two big jumps on the track and lead out to another seciton.

I also planted some English Thyme which looks like a small tree or bush.

41787182211_81ee842a75_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

• Like 7

I ordered North Carolina scale plates from MileHighCrawler on Ebay a week ago, he's just shipping today.

Good grief.  I think my first mistake was ordering something from someone in COLORADO and expecting them to ship quickly. :ph34r: #puffpuffpass

• Haha 1

Not so much done, but received confirmation that my Shapeways order/design has printed and on its way. Excited 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Pfft ‘‘tis But an afternoons work there ;)

Whats the washers for the M03 for, body post hole protection?

A few parts but four different projects so at my work rate, it will take me a good while :D.

Planning for decorating interspersed with a bit of R/C on Bank Holiday Monday.

The washers are for the servo mounts on the M03. I don’t know if they are really necessary (especially on what will likely be a shelfer) but they will be on there for completeness.

Funnily enough, I have also ordered some of the Fastrax foam washers for the body post holes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

I'm curious to find out how long it lasts as well. I had read about doing it, but wasn't expecting much.  I didn't get stuck in the grass with 1 wheels spinning, which usually happens at least a few times. It may be that it only works for the first couple runs. I'll find out soon.

In my experience it lasts a fair while as the AW grease really does stick to the bevel gears and doesn't fling like other thinner greases. I even used it on my old DB01R optional gear diff instead of the supplied diff oil and it was great, almost like a ball diff feel without the maintenance. :)

James.

• Thanks 1

Painted ole Ray for my runner Wild One. 

Destroyed my front rims trying to dye them. Grrrrr. Plan B is now in effect. Day Glow yellow Super G wheels are to be used. Which works great for my 80's motif/color scheme. 

Body will be painted Blue/Pink/White 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Baddon said:

Ordered a re-re Bigwig and paint for it

I just finished mine. Absolutely fantastic runner on an 8.4v pack. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWarty said:

Destroyed my front rims trying to dye them.

What happened? Did the color not take, or did the wheels deform?

18 minutes ago, frameskip said:

What happened? Did the color not take, or did the wheels deform?

The rear wheels took beautifully, but the fronts just seemed to not take the dye at all. Both front and rear wheels were vintage. Leaving them in there too long warped them, even with the correct temperature. So I'm out a perfectly good pair of Wild One front wheels :(

• Sad 1

Had a bit of a non-tamiya day today. I recently bought a used HPI Maverick Strada DC EVO. Wanting to have a go at drifting, I was looking at a TT02 d when this came up on ebay. Can't go wrong at under 40€ rtr I thought and what arrived looked quite nice with a 22t motor, oil filled shocks and an alloy upper deck. I didn't like the body at all though, so I swapped it for a cheap Chinese one for the moment

Maverick Drift

Also, after visiting the local track last weekend and hitting the borders a lot with my Dirt Thrasher (loads of fun and pretty fast with the goolrc 21t motor and ESC combo though) I had the mad idea that I really need an RC10 for track use.

Not wanting to spend loads of money in the latest b6.1  (probably wasted in my talent anyway), I bid on a used b4.1 complete with a 7.5t brushless system and novak servo. Looking forward to See how this performs at the weekend!

Asso b4.1

• Like 5

I did manage to do something Tamiya:

With the addition of the mirrors, my FF01 resto is officialy finished

Before

FF01 Golf

After

FF01 Civic

FF01 Civic

• Like 10

Couldn’t help but pull over for a shot on the way to work with this lake steam.  Then threw down another layer of ts-22 on body #2 

B318C92B-2302-4A2C-9156-B4890329F2DC.jpeg

• Like 13