Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

Took Tamiyabigstuff's advice on the M-05 tyre thread about fixing tyres with silicone sealant. Wow, how much easier and cleaner than superglue?! Plus I'll not have to bin wheels when they wear out. Brilliant. 

This is what I have been doing the last couple years. It's worked great, but I recently put an 11.5t brushless into my short course truck that runs on 7-cell nimh. It tore the tire off in the first 60 feet. On the 15t brushed stock motor it had no problems, even on 7-cell batteries. On the plus side, it was easy to remove those tires, clean them up, and super glue them back onto the wheels:)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Biz73 said:

This is what I have been doing the last couple years. It's worked great, but I recently put an 11.5t brushless into my short course truck that runs on 7-cell nimh. It tore the tire off in the first 60 feet. On the 15t brushed stock motor it had no problems, even on 7-cell batteries. On the plus side, it was easy to remove those tires, clean them up, and super glue them back onto the wheels:)

I was wondering about the strength, but still a good back up for the regular cars not running brushless power etc.

Yesterday I had some time and finally painted a Proline bodyshell I've had for a year, and tonight  I almagamated 3 companies products into one, one better than the Spice Girls managed... ahem.

1) HPI Wheelie King

2) Proline Ford Bodyshell for a Stampede

3) Tamiya Driver figure for a something or other ;p

ZAFHiZe.jpg

This hole will secure the driver figure

TUQixYE.jpg

sUGpJcD.jpg

BlUF6bM.jpg

PiZlgnh.jpg

Then to complete my messing about with the Wheely King I dug out a TBG McClaren shell I had painted in mirror chrome which has a 210mm wheelbase, this refused to sit properly on any M chassis car (found a rough fitting  home on my ABC Gambado Mini chassis for the time being) due to it's low bonnet so it had been shelved for ages... I nearly forgot about it but haha.... how's this look?!

yle6S1w.jpg

s6WxV8P.jpg

KPCDpBy.jpg

• Like 5

Had a lunchtime breakout today and went and ran my fixed grasshopper3 and the Azarashi (DN01 new name) at the park. GH3 running lovely with new diff gears.

Now the Azarashi body lives permanently on the DN01 I fitted the painted wing. Rather fetching I think. Also going to sell the Zahhak body.

20180605_191000

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

I was wondering about the strength, but still a good back up for the regular cars not running brushless power etc.

Yesterday I had some time and finally painted a Proline bodyshell I've had for a year, and tonight  I almagamated 3 companies products into one, one better than the Spice Girls managed... ahem.

1) HPI Wheelie King

2) Proline Ford Bodyshell for a Stampede

3) Tamiya Driver figure for a something or other ;p

ZAFHiZe.jpg

This hole will secure the driver figure

TUQixYE.jpg

sUGpJcD.jpg

BlUF6bM.jpg

PiZlgnh.jpg

Then to complete my messing about with the Wheely King I dug out a TBG McClaren shell I had painted in mirror chrome which has a 210mm wheelbase, this refused to sit properly on any M chassis car (found a rough fitting  home on my ABC Gambado Mini chassis for the time being) due to it's low bonnet so it had been shelved for ages... I nearly forgot about it but haha.... how's this look?!

yle6S1w.jpg

s6WxV8P.jpg

KPCDpBy.jpg

Loving the shell with the driver! Nice work!! I've just cut a 50's Chevy Proline shell for my 5 year old son's WT01

20180605_202843

Would like to do a driver but not sure he would survive :lol:

• Like 2

Finished my DT-03 Hornet. Just gave it a quick run seems like a real nice performer for a budget buggy.

20180605_201556.jpg

20180605_201639.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bromley said:

Finished my DT-03 Hornet. Just gave it a quick run seems like a real nice performer for a budget buggy.

20180605_201556.jpg

20180605_201639.jpg

That is awesome, especially with the driver figure. New old skool.. 

Yeah I am going to definitely use it😉 its just when I was building it struck me how fragile it looked but it obviously isn't because it was raced to death back in the day!

1 hour ago, mman2005 said:

Loving the shell with the driver! Nice work!! I've just cut a 50's Chevy Proline shell for my 5 year old son's WT01

20180605_202843

Would like to do a driver but not sure he would survive :lol:

Yeah that shell of yours looks great too, much rounder than my square one... I bet your WT01 will tumble a lot more violently than my slow WK ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jason1145 said:

Yeah that shell of yours looks great too, much rounder than my square one... I bet your WT01 will tumble a lot more violently than my slow WK ;)

Hopefully it will help it to self correct :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

@Jason1145 *cough* wheels (or body) on back to front *cough* :P

Ahhh that’s the beauty of the WK, it goes the same speed front to back and the whole chassis is reversible front to back - steering, axles etc ;)... but I’ll fix those tyres cheers 

17 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

Only to find out the driveshaft supplies by them is too short 🙄

F763044B-1633-4C8B-8857-DF8DCC5F9F97.jpeg

Have you got front & rear MIP ?? . As there is two different dog bones , short for front , long for rear . 

BUT i did have to put in O-rings on out drives to stop them from falling out .  So you will need to 

play with some O-rings :D . 

I took my Neo Fighter out for some laps around my track.  I'm pretty rusty with the 2wd buggy, compared to the shorter wheelbase and better balanced Neo Scorcher I usually drive. 

• Like 9

Gave the Super Hotshot a run in the garden (8.4v Nimh, Nosram Dominator and the GT Tuned motor) and forgot how much fun it is to run. Understeers forever, pitches and rolls like a trawler in a force 5 but blimey its brilliant for it! Something about a buggy that accelerates looking at the sky, brakes as if an asteroid has hit its nose and corners like a cat on a freshly polished floor... 

(Apologies for the screen shot had to make the file smaller!) 

Screenshot_20180606-193236.png

• Like 4

I fitted 54744 (carbon reinforced K parts) and 54755 (carbon centre brace) to my TA07 in the quest to stiffen up the chassis.  It has made a huge difference and removed heaps of flex, so it will hopefully help with the racing on carpet.  I haven't run it to see what difference it makes to handling, but it will be hard to tell anyway as I find the car runs really well no matter how badly setup on the local school courts, its not until you are at the racetrack that you can really tell the difference.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 7:38 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

it sounds like your son is going really well. At my club the SCT run 10.5T but are much slower than the 2wd Stock buggies with 17.5T motors.

He's doing gang busters.  Better than me for sure.

• Like 2

Step 8 and a little bit of 9 completed on the Asterion build.

FD7_E71_D6_112_B_41_E3_AFE1_6_A6448_CB4_

• Like 1

Ordered some tyre foams for the Asterion. 

Struggled to find some for a 55mm diameter wheel and c.80mm tyre.

Thought I had success, placed the order and then realised they will be 100mm too wide!

Some trimming to do...

TAMIYA STRIKER DAY! (warning.... no photo's as I'm on lunch break at work and can't access photo sharing sites... firewalls eh!)

Technically yesterday I  received a very nicely restored Tamiya Striker (groans I hear in the background??)  in an electric blue with yellow wheels.... love the STRIKER!

This in itself does not qualify for a STRIKER DAY, but it did prompt me to go and dig out another Tamiya Striker that's been sitting in my cupboard for over a year awaiting a full restoration..... this one is a real dirty girl  judging by the pong off her.... lovely 'p (This one came with a spare main chassis so I can do two different colours - only 1 top cockpit though)

I 've got some neon orange Super Hornet wheels and tyres for this chassis and now I've decided to do an brightly coloured, in your face, Neon Orange Striker :)

(I've previously restored a Striker finished in black/gold,  and a Sonic Fighter finished in black/orange, so this will be my third restoration of this chassis and I can't wait to have all 4  lined up in a row... 3 restored by me and the newly purchased blue one with yellow wheels).

Last night I stripped the complete front and middle portion of the chassis and then got my brand new Sonic Cleaner device out , this only cost £25 from Ebay so I'm not expecting it to clean very well but it might save me having to sit and scrub those tiny little parts with a toothbrush (which I might end up doing anyway if it's useless)

Right now the two main chassis parts, wheels and top cockpit parts have been soaking overnight in a soapy degreasing bath concoction, and the smaller disassembled parts are waiting to be Sonic Cleaned. That is all.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Step 8 and a little bit of 9 completed on the Asterion build.

FD7_E71_D6_112_B_41_E3_AFE1_6_A6448_CB4_

If that was 9a, I’ve just done 9b. Hoping to complete c and d tomorrow morning.

Need to go back a couple of steps and add threadlock...

• Like 1

Sorry Crumble, I've squashed you between my Striker posts......

I just found out why a 2nd chassis was included with the sale... it's broken at the rear where the dog bone sits so this is not really repairable... nvm, I still have 1 chassis to restore ;p

xjiViYY.jpg

WctIcEs.jpg

Pre wash in the Sonic cleaner

TPxIfzk.jpg

nqc4896.jpg

Dirty water so it did a good job....

DtE3rmS.jpg

fP2DrUu.jpg

I'll start a thread in the Vintage section for more on this Striker project.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2018 at 10:40 PM, Badcrumble said:

Up to Step 4 of the Asterion build. Plus slipper clutch.

723_C9169_2796_408_E_BCA9_CAB3_EFCAD947.

The front diff feels very wobbly in its housing but it just sits there between the two halves, nothing to keep it level. There seems to be play in every direction. Even at the most extreme angles, however, everything seems to turn. Is this a ‘design feature’?

Realised why the diffs were wobbly. Some rather large 1510 bearings were missing! Glad I looked back over the instructions! Thanks to the XV-01T design, very easy to fix the problem - 4 screws and done.

12 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

TPxIfzk.jpg

Seen people using dishwashers to clean parts before, never occurred to me you could use the toilet for it too...

• Haha 6