Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 8/5/2018 at 9:59 AM, Jason1145 said:

Finished.... apart from light buckets

h9CA7Dh.jpg

...and lopping about 3 feet off the body posts. :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Granddad Stinky said:

That sounds like a good idea, a Team Powers motor would save some pennies for some pretty bits. Are the grey arms a hop-up part?

Those are the standard arms from the kit box. Are yours different?

Another reason for me sticking with the silver can is that the motor needs long wires and I can’t solder :ph34r:

I have the stock shock towers but I’ll upgrade the springs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What setup guide are you using? I downloaded the Hudy one as that appears to be the bible. Its for touring cars but the principles should be the same for many of the tuning options, just the jumping bit. If you haven't read one then I recommend it

Thanks. I use a couple. This rcscrapyard one and the associated articles are good:

http://www.rcscrapyard.net/uk/tips.html

This is where I learnt about getting the droop more consistent front-rear. I also use this petitrc one which is much more detailed and good for specific elements of tuning:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/BuggySetupGuide.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwivo9Da0N3cAhWICMAKHbw5Az0QFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw10h9OSu009S_mb4FP_-RlE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Another reason for me sticking with the silver can is that the motor needs long wires and I can’t solder :ph34r:

I think they're the same shape, but black. Is there a Build thread?

1 hour ago, Granddad Stinky said:

I’ve not done a build thread. Thought I might do one at the end if anyone was interested.

In this ‘T build the arms are grey

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/547820-build-complete-tamiya-xv-01t-asterion.html

@Losi XXT-CR did a short build thread here

His arms are also grey. I think he went brushless too...

One quote I found from the time when the XV-01T was released

“This is the exact same thing as the rally version, besides the tires, wheels and body the only difference is the A-arms are made of a softer grey plastic which has a higher rubber compound too it.”

How true that is, I do not know. They feel a bit rubbery though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve not done a build thread. Thought I might do one at the end if anyone was interested.

In this ‘T build the arms are grey

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/547820-build-complete-tamiya-xv-01t-asterion.html

@Losi XXT-CR did a short build thread here

His arms are also grey. I think he went brushless too...

One quote I found from the time when the XV-01T was released

“This is the exact same thing as the rally version, besides the tires, wheels and body the only difference is the A-arms are made of a softer grey plastic which has a higher rubber compound too it.”

I would agree with that. My black arms are the same reinforced plastic as the rest of the car, definitely not bendy, so that must be a T part.

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

His arms are also grey.

Now that reads a lot funnier, it was funny originally but more so now.

;)

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2018 at 3:23 AM, bjorklo said:

Yesterday i started filling up my hobby room, and i noticed a few things, i need to get the missing shelfs, and there is no way all will fit. So some of the stuff will go in the attic, and some Will be sold. 

IMG_20180806_230148_zpse5tfvr11.jpg

Question, wouldn't it be better for the nib to be stacked on each other, than side by side? I'm considering to lower the top shelf a little bit to fit 3 kits on each other. 

I would stack on top of each other.  If you must store sideways, make sure the heavy side goes down.  

The blue box below contains the motor and metal parts.  It is the heaviest.  It's held in place by the partition.  If you lay on its side with heavy side up, the partition is holding up the heavy box.  If the staple of glue comes off, that blue box can come down and crush the Lexan on the other side.  So if you must store sideways, do it with heavier side down. 

I7sAhw3.jpg

Also there are partitions going the other way too.   In either case, laying down with box-art facing the ceiling is the best way.   

aNLBfY2.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Juggular said:

I would stack on top of each other.  If you must store sideways, make sure the heavy side goes down.  

The blue box below contains the motor and metal parts.  It is the heaviest.  It's held in place by the partition.  If you lay on its side with heavy side up, the partition is holding up the heavy box.  If the staple of glue comes off, that blue box can come down and crush the Lexan on the other side.  So if you must store sideways, do it with heavier side down. 

I7sAhw3.jpg

Also there are partitions going the other way too.   In either case, laying down with box-art facing the ceiling is the best way.   

aNLBfY2.jpg

Thanks for your input, I think I will do as you say. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Today my other plans were rained off so I got busy doing some R/C stuff instead. 

I was going to get on with building my FAV but quickly realised it required painting from the start, so that pretty much ended that idea (although I did lay down a few coats on the chassis). 

With that idea out of the window I moved onto the Mercedes SLK body set I bought last week from my LMS which is closing down :( I've got an M02 Chassis which I bought very cheap and I've ordered the extended chassis so the Mercedes body will fit :) 

Anyway, I started off with the NIB body set and just got on with it. 

fnA34rS.jpg

QgA7pzp.jpg

7pF0P8T.jpg

JSz7nBI.jpg

After all these years I still struggle to cut out the wheel arches so that they're as neat as the rest of the cutting :(

WhCflqa.jpg

HyLzQfR.jpg

The body set came with the window masks and sticker set :) The sticker set included the black lower bumper and side skirt sections but I decided to mask them off and spray them black instead. 

Zg77Qrc.jpg

uIK8055.jpg

Once it was all masked I started to lay down some paint. It was pouring with rain so the kitchen was the spray booth of choice for today! My technique (if you can call it that!) is to spray a layer, leave the body for ten or so minutes and then use the hairdryer for another ten minutes to dry the paint nice and quickly. This allows me to paint and finish the body nice and quickly :) 

Fv9TmvO.jpg

yMSyxpG.jpg

3Mq97M9.jpg

Once the green was all done it was time for the black bits :)

VvFpsNA.jpg

imAOyHS.jpg

Once that was dry I backed it with flat white. Ideally I'd of used silver but I didn't have any so white was the next best thing. 

LF7Udq8.jpg

With the masks peeled off it looked pretty good :) 

ozFHzH3.jpg

4NQgXWT.jpg

With the paint all done it was time for the bit I hate the most. The stickers!!! I started off putting in as much effort as I could but the further through the sheet I got the less I was caring! It didn't help that due to the age of the body set the glue possibly wasn't quite as sticky as it once was and I was having to hold the stickers against the body for a quite a long time!

B86mNPI.jpg

YtGxCre.jpg

4mWbrG1.jpg

That's it pretty much done. All that's left is to paint and fit the door mirrors and then mount it to my M02L Chassis. Oh, I also need to find a set of wheel that'll suit it. 

• Like 5

My M02 chassis extenders arrived this morning so this afternoon I got on with turning my M02 into an M02L :) 

MeqtsGo.jpg

These are the extenders from the parts tree. £15 for two bits of plastic :o 

jpDHIcW.jpg

I removed the front end from the M02 ready to swap the steering and suspension over. 

GyCVclM.jpg

Everything off the M02 front end. 

3slmAWw.jpg

Arm mounts screwed on. 

PsXF9EG.jpg

Once the steering was swapped over I could bolt the M02L front end on :)

9zbEA2K.jpg

E0Wkiit.jpg

Looking much lengthier!

gSNN214.jpg

uo6G6lY.jpg

I then went to put the SLK body on, only to find out the rear body mounts are different! Thankfully I've found the correct set on eBay so they'll be with me next week. I also managed to find the correct wheels on eBay so I've ordered them too!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mman2005 said:

Painted my stripped Thunder Dragon shell:

Before

Screenshot_20170922-140237

After

20180810_200959

What did you strip it with?

44 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

What did you strip it with?

Auto finesse oblitarate. Took a while to make sure I got every spec of paint as it would show up against the new white coat

• Like 1

My first ever soldering of motor wires to a motor! Big thanks to @Fabia130vRS and @Juggular for pre-advice etc (they are in no way held responsible for this abomination)

0LS8Fgm.jpg

All done with a pretty cheap 30w soldering iron, maybe it looks awful to the trained eye but it works bench testing in my Striker... lets see how long it will last but's for now it's attached good and tight 

Nj045JC.jpg

I watched a quick Youtube guide about tinning both ends before soldering, and I even paid attention to the direction I want the motor wires exiting the tabs towards the chassis, very handy on these short wires to enable it to reach the esc location.

n3rMSVy.jpg

• Like 4

That is pretty good for a 30w iron!  I thought my skills were horrible for a long while until somebody recommended using a 60w iron.  Hotter iron makes soldering easier.  

• Like 4

Had a day to myself so did a LOT of RC tinkering and running. Mostly with the Thunder Dragon, trying to sort the handling once and for all. Ended up with a bit of a novel solution for front shock mounting, but seems to work. More testing required, but garden shakedown was good.

20180811_19105820180811_191025

I've done a full setup/testing/geek out on the mod log in The Builds forum.

Also got the TRF211 3 gear laydown gearbox design I'm working on somewhere near. Going to let it sit for a couple of days to see if my sub-conscious flags up any clangers, but I think I'm ready to get one and see if it goes together:

TRF211 3 Gear laydown gearcase

• Like 3

Took the Baka King out for a spin/tumble and also messed about with Movie Maker on MacBook again, the old skills are still there but I need to link my ITunes account for more recent music access.... there’s always something to do!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last night I sold my Blackfoot. Today I sold my Wild Willy 2000 and my ECX Torment. While I don't like that I have to sell these, my bank account will be a little happier. Not much, but a little:(

Popped back into my LMS yesterday to see what else they'd managed to unearth while clearing the shelves in preperation of closing. I was rummaging through a huge box of wheels and tyre's, putting aside the various ones I thought might come in handy when John (one of the owners) spotted me and announced he'd found more M Chassis parts if I was interested. I was, so he pulled out a massive box of bits for the M01/M02/M03 chassis'. I ended up buying all of it. I'll use a fair bit of it for my own projects and the rest will end up on eBay due to me buying multiples of everything!

By the time I'd gotten home from the shop it was raining again so I sat down and finished off my M02L Mercedes SLK. I had been waiting for the correct rear body posts to arrive but typically I ended up buying a set from the model shop as well! 

Apart from the door mirrors needing to be painted and fitted and the correct wheels being fitted (when they arrive), it's done :) I'm very happy with how it's come out but don't know what to do with it now!

Uvdrd0b.jpg

dZfK17c.jpg

EhsFFBe.jpg

jek4bxh.jpg

O5lYGCB.jpg

QzAbL64.jpg

uo6G6lY.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Took the Baka King out for a spin/tumble and also messed about with Movie Maker on MacBook again, the old skills are still there but I need to link my ITunes account for more recent music access.... there’s always something to do!

That looks fun, what KV motor allows you all those funky moves? 

Went racing today. This is the first time in over 2 months I think because of rain. My son came and only lasted the first 2 rounds, so left before the finals. They didn't prep the track very well, its laid out on netball courts but they need to blow off the layer of dust as it made it challenging.

True to form only 1 car behaved and this time the TRF102 wasn't going well, but then none of the F1s were. I was the only finisher of the first heat, the other 4 all broke. Turns out my T bar was broken which explained the lack of going straight or rear traction. I managed to get a replacement but it was the thicker one so at least I could run the next race. It wasn't pretty, came 3rd. I need to find some rear traction when the track is dusty.

The TA07 was handling incredibly well so the alloy and carbon parts have worked. I was playing with settings a bit so was still off the pace, but it was consistent which is the main thing. I will put the Trinity Monster Max in before the next meet as from here it will just be setting changes. Tried the 900 and 3k diff oil, both were better than the 7k, will change the 900 to 2k for the next meet as I suspect that will be the winner overall.

So a good day out which feels like its long overdue.

• Like 4

I was looking a long time, years, at the TA05 IFS chassis... found a used one with a Carson sensorless brushless 10T setup and servo for 80€. I just could not resist. 

So it is orderd.

will be great for speed runs, and use it a bit for fun drifting... a allover bash chassis. 

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Juggular said:

That looks fun, what KV motor allows you all those funky moves? 

A ‘mild’ 3900kv ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1