Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

I finished off a couple of bodies for other members last week, a Kamei Golf and a Top Force (I'll not post pictures as they might well want to do that themselves when they are finished with the chassis') so I've got started on a Kamtec Morris Minor van for a mate of a mate. I've never done one of these before, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely it cut.

I've got some more details to add and I plan to make windows for it but so far so good. 

That looks great, much tidier than mine. What have you been using to cut it out?

43 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

That looks great, much tidier than mine. What have you been using to cut it out?

cheers mate! I've just been using scissors and a scalpel, then finished off with either a bit of sand paper or a needle file.

it's intended to be a replica of his 1:1 morris minor van, which after looking at the photos again I've realised doesn't have over-riders on the bumper but does instead have spotlights, so I think I'm going to have to do a bit of a rework on it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

cheers mate! I've just been using scissors and a scalpel, then finished off with either a bit of sand paper or a needle file.

it's intended to be a replica of his 1:1 morris minor van, which after looking at the photos again I've realised doesn't have over-riders on the bumper but does instead have spotlights, so I think I'm going to have to do a bit of a rework on it.

Those must be some tough scissors! I found some of the moulding by the overriders to be quite thick.

I think I need to spend some time with paper and file to tidy it up.

What chassis is it going on? It is an odd wheelbase at 205mm. I made a ‘custom’ (read bodge) chassis and my front body posts (M03) come up just shy of the scuttle, through the windscreen. Having a re-think on their positioning (thereby putting off having to do any more work on it).

• Like 1

Not today, but yesterday due to family being away I had a couple of hours to sit in a field with a pile of parts and sort my Thunder Dragon. I did it! Finally! Main mods were ditching the front one-way and going full old school on the rear suspension

20180819_164550

Works brilliantly. Car just drives so nicely now. Even thinking I'm going to leave the silly brushless motor in it. Full geek out over on the build thread

Also made the shocks on my DB01R full aeration and sorted the springs out. It's sooooooo nice to drive, and so fast! 

20180819_183448

Pretty happy where most of the fleet is at the moment. 

• Like 7

I swapped the sway bars for my vintage Fox. 

Novafox's works better than old Fox's.  I took the photo before I took out the old one -- I left the holding arms, though. 

It's connected close to the kingpins, and there is much less slop.  It's still a bit too stiff.  One wheel going up lifts up the other one at the last moment.  But it's much better than the old bar, so I'm happy with it.  

30Nvfnw.jpg

V6YIyHS.jpg

• Like 4

The Xray drivea great, since the asphalt is dirty, I took my choice on MST Realistic tires. Provided good grip. It has a brushes 17T LRP GT2 with lipo 2s. 

Runs good. Even the body of the TA05 fits on it, holes were already drilled.

This is a done story until the protoform body arrives and stardish wheels.

the TA05 on the other side starzes a new topic, from c hubs, flunge tubes. They are all for missing, iz was fixes only with screews. MB11 and MB12 orderd!

5B2F5463-9E88-4CD0-AA29-045A270B5620.png

And a few pics

ezo1n9.jpg2ugc9sn.jpg2q81o5c.jpg

• Like 6

I've been messing around in the garage setting up different track layouts to run my M-05 VW Golf on.  It's a lot of fun!  Crappy iPhone photo and video:

44164829351_5811d30c96_b.jpg

• Like 8

Went to Japanese Performance Show last weekend at Stoneleigh, which offered visitors the opportunity to run their RC cars on the specially prepared short circuit. So I took a Tamiya M-07 with a Datsun 510 body I recently built but haven't driven properly for a test run. It looked a bit odd mixing with experienced drift cars and my 9 year old son who was driving was told to slow down. Does anyone know of an indoor circuit with a long straight in the East of England?

• Like 7

My F103/104 got a new spoiler finally, I hope it will last longer then the last one.

4tabdl.jpgsg09l2.jpg

and new gold wheels were glued.

121baww.jpg

waiting for the rear axle to arrive and build it back together.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Those must be some tough scissors! I found some of the moulding by the overriders to be quite thick.

I think I need to spend some time with paper and file to tidy it up.

What chassis is it going on? It is an odd wheelbase at 205mm. I made a ‘custom’ (read bodge) chassis and my front body posts (M03) come up just shy of the scuttle, through the windscreen. Having a re-think on their positioning (thereby putting off having to do any more work on it).

I just have a tendency to muscle through - my wife calls me a blunt instrument so I'm guessing that's what she means too.....:P

I think it's supposed to be going on a M-06, but you raise a very good point - I don't know if he has looked at where the body mounts are on it, so I'm really glad you mentioned it - I'll get in touch with him now!

Thanks mate!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

I just have a tendency to muscle through - my wife calls me a blunt instrument so I'm guessing that's what she means too.....:P

I think it's supposed to be going on a M-06, but you raise a very good point - I don't know if he has looked at where the body mounts are on it, so I'm really glad you mentioned it - I'll get in touch with him now!

Thanks mate!

There’s scope to make wider arches and fit the 210mm chassis wheelbase but it might upset the scale look, depending on the wheels?

Will the motor cause an issue with the angled rear valence (if valence is the word)?

I don’t know whether you can shorten the M06 wheelbase - maybe by using spacers at the suspension arm mounting points (sure I read about this recently).

Of course, I could be worrying about nothing...

I've turned the house upside-down today to see if there was a suitable switching power supply from old redundant laptops etc lurking in the dark depths of forgotten nooks & crannies for my newly acquired imax battery charger. But no, they were either only 3A supply ( to low ) or 19v output ( to high ). Nuts.

So after a good de-clutter and reclaiming some much needed cupboard space, I turned my attention to rebuilding my Buggy Champ front wheels with some replacement parts as the previous owner for some reason had decided to paint the centre section ( very badly ) with an extra thick coat of silver paint, plus the recesses where the bearings sit were pretty rough to. Got to use my new Tamiya screwdrivers as well. Wow what a difference the right tool for a job can make.

RqaGIW9.jpg

• Like 1

not rc related but while out at a local town yesterday i decided to pop into the many charity shops as i have never been in one before and i came across a late 70's record player. i asked how much and they said it had not been checked so i called back today and they said it had been done and was working so i went back and eneded paying a measly £20 for it a absolute bargain in my eyes esp as it has a shure cartridge and stylus on it witch outways the 20 qiud i gave for it so i left my number with them and said if anyhthing else comes in let me know. gonna give it a good clean tomorrow and hopefully test.

this is the start of my vintage set up seperates i want

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, topforcein said:

not rc related but while out at a local town yesterday i decided to pop into the many charity shops as i have never been in one before and i came across a late 70's record player. i asked how much and they said it had not been checked so i called back today and they said it had been done and was working so i went back and eneded paying a measly £20 for it a absolute bargain in my eyes esp as it has a shure cartridge and stylus on it witch outways the 20 qiud i gave for it so i left my number with them and said if anyhthing else comes in let me know. gonna give it a good clean tomorrow and hopefully test.

Nice. One of these days I’m going to get my late Father-in-law’s Strathearn set-up properly. Small child in residence means no nice floorstanders for me though - modernising with a Bluetooth phono stage...

Hope you get some nice speakers. I got my Mum a pair of second hand Wharfedale Delta 30.2. Ugly to look at but they sound great.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, topforcein said:

Nice. One of these days I’m going to get my late Father-in-law’s Strathearn set-up properly. Small child in residence means no nice floorstanders for me though - modernising with a Bluetooth phono stage...

Hope you get some nice speakers. I got my Mum a pair of second hand Wharfedale Delta 30.2. Ugly to look at but they sound great.

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

yeah i also plan on doing a bluetooth adon also as i have seen it done on u-tube.

i allready have a pretty recent seperates set up tbh i brought around 13 years ago but ive been ankering for a vintage set up again. i still have a pair of technics speakers i brought back in 1989 witch i gave to my brother in law when i brought a pair of jamo d5 laser power speakers in 1993 but when i moved into my current house i did not have the room for them so i had to sell them (witch i wish i had not have done) then i got my technics speakers back from my brother in law them in the past month  got another pair of technics speakers to go on the b speakers of the amp but i would love a pair of 70's jbl's but they fetch silly money.

19 minutes ago, topforcein said:

yeah i also plan on doing a bluetooth adon also as i have seen it done on u-tube.

Curious! I’m planning on a Pro-ject Phono Box E. I have wireless/BT speakers ready and waiting.

I always feel slightly sick when I visit the mate I sold my Audiolab 8000S and Gale Model 2s he now has rigged up to his Sonos...:wacko:

16 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Ran my Short Course Truck out on 2s lipo

Nice shot. After I sell my DF02, there will be need for a ofroad vehicle. So a short course truck is a option, I like this one.

also, not rc related, is there some free video editer tool for windows 10?

• Like 1

I've just had small kitten like episodes at the news that the Super Astute is being re-released. :wub:

In other news I got some paint on the Morris: (please excuse the shocking photo quality)

IMG_0672.thumb.JPG.ce3bb7d210e45c621c7aa43e64d37ba3.JPGIMG_0671.thumb.JPG.cb9d69c1550417b6160fd9a6d4c8dc58.JPGIMG_0670.thumb.JPG.ce0e8b19c7824329f6f2e6d6bae804bf.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Nice shot. After I sell my DF02, there will be need for a ofroad vehicle. So a short course truck is a option, I like this one.

also, not rc related, is there some free video editer tool for windows 10?

I am stuck with slow mo on Iphone and Movie Maker on MacBook Sorry.

As for off road trucks yes there is a limited choicevfrom Tamiya so I had to switch to Team ***(ociated) above but I do like it’s go anywhere ability ( well, compared to a DT02 or even my ex DF02 and Levant)

Did two things today.

1) Removed the radio set from my RTR Team Associated Trophy Rat 🐀 and put it in my refurbished Striker project.... an excellent benefit from the receiver having DVC ( a gyro) which might help keep the Striker going in a straight line under power... it’s sure funny to see it in action bench testing it.... see below.

2) Installed a TacTic TTX300 2.4g Radio in my Trophy Rat, This has the benefit of being antennae less and the steerwheel hand control allows for one handed driving so I’ll be able to film it much better... win win.

• Like 3

....Opened the order books for painting jobs in response to putting my name down for a Super Astute ;)

Help make a boys dream come true.....

Today I finished this creation - I hope noone consideres this to be blasphemy.

I had two incomplete Grasshopper wrecks bought ages ago for next to nothing on ebay. I rebuilt one with the better parts and had fun trying to get the worst of the scratches and other damage out of the seriously mutilated body with modelling putty and lots of sanding and also rebuilt the mounts for the lights with aluminium tubing. Looking for an idea for a paint job I came across some leftover mci decals from my last Striker build and this is what I ended up with. 

Grasshopper

Obviously not the cleanest build but that wasn't the objective. I liked that the lights were the only spare part I bought for this.

Grasshopper

I  haven't got a name for it yet - Sandstriker? Strikehopper? - open for suggestions

Grasshopper

Welcome to the family!

The leftovers were put together as grasshopper Nr.2 - to be resold on ebay.

Grasshopper

• Like 6

Why not name it Blasphemy? :D Nice pair of Hoppers. Looks like they are ready for a drag race.