Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Installed the dodge body on my Xray, I was kind of tired, messed up the holes, that I really dont like. saved it somehow, wouldbe good if there was something to fill lexan holes, like fiber glass or similar dont know. but for bashing and only 9$ it is perfect. from Protoform Dodge Stratus 3.0.

with Hudy wheels, still need inserts and tires for it, these tires will see more shelf then street. 

e1ffjq.jpg3477dp1.jpgi233tj.jpg

also I finished my F103, rear axle and part arrived,now its complete again after the terrible crash :)

axhd9g.jpg

2z557nn.jpg

and to do list growing with.

A TA05 that needed work on its uprights and next moth stabilizators fitting and some hop ups. cant wait. :D

qqehxz.jpg

• Like 3

Crazy busy week, but packed a charged Lipo and my Thunder Dragon in the van today, and manage to fit in 15 mins running on my way home. Just brilliant. The rear suspension setup has settled the car so much that I am happy tearing about full power on the 4000kv brushless. Didn't grip roll once. So happy to have finally got the old vessel handling nicely. Excited to see how it runs on the track next month.

• Like 2

Today I've swapped the connectors on some new lipos from deans to xt60. Plus changed a couple of NiMH packs from Tamiya connectors to xt60.

I've swapped the 60t crawler motors that were in my boys Lunchbox and Mad Bull for a pair of silver cans. I told the boys we'd take some cars for a run at a local country park. As they'll have more space and some hills to jump I thought they'd need more speed.

I also plonked a shell I had knocking around on to my Top Force, that has been bodyless for months.

YvSaratL7uFa-6t1URspba1gPd7sUkpNDAlKn9eE

maykKCWQFmYo4pejfd5wkYdQCLZVD_Ye_jLUMugO

Actually it's another sterling bit of paint throwing by @jonboy1 as if he hasn't been getting enough praise lately :P

Seriously though, it was a shell I'd tried to paint but had a disaster with. I thought it was because I tried painting early in the year when it was cold. Turned out it was a duff can of paint.

Anyway, @jonboy1 thought he might be able to rescue it by stripping off the failed paint and repainting. 

And rescue it he did!

I really like it, even more so now having seen it on the car

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Ordered an MIP ball dif for my sons Monster Beetle, rebuilt the front end on my Schumacher KR, sorted the servo on my (owned for 27 years) Manta Ray and put my name down for the Super Astute re-release with Modelsport. Been a busy day!

• Like 3

One of the worst paint jobs. Let my buddy have a go on the compressor, one blow of the pearl white and we ran out of that color. Since it was mixed with water (waterbase paint) it still was nit enough.  Ended up improvising at this is the final result. Close your eyes :rolleyes:

244ph8n.jpg25gvskh.jpgdo07xf.jpg

since I messed up today the holes , I have let my budy  try himself at it, unfortunately he ran out of white, so it ended up being dark grey because backed up with black. Could have been much better, but a new mazda 6 is on its way, liked the accord and mazda 6 more, but this body was cheap 8$, and I need it. Had smo fun painting it, not the best result, but this is just calling to drive. 

• Like 2

Just bought Tamiya carbon chassis plates, 53195, to add to either my TA02SW Jägermeister Porsche or the Vaillant. Will be added to the one I build first.  

• Like 1

Today I just found out from our account that the Taxman has a guilty conscious and has decided to give me a bit back :D

So begins the late nights of endless internet research finding some nice additions to collection. What with it being Fathers Day as well soon there could be no better time to have to ask for forgiveness from my wife if the ‘Buy Now’ gets a bit out of control! :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

One of the worst paint jobs. Let my buddy have a go on the compressor, one blow of the pearl white and we ran out of that color. Since it was mixed with water (waterbase paint) it still was nit enough.  Ended up improvising at this is the final result. Close your eyes :rolleyes:

since I messed up today the holes , I have let my budy  try himself at it, unfortunately he ran out of white, so it ended up being dark grey because backed up with black. Could have been much better, but a new mazda 6 is on its way, liked the accord and mazda 6 more, but this body was cheap 8$, and I need it. Had smo fun painting it, not the best result, but this is just calling to drive. 

Nicely recovered with the bodypost holes and the paint job still looks very decent.

Im sure you could glue in a metal washer under the shell to strengthen that extra cut away lexan if desired.. you probably spent more on paint than on the 🐚

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

What I have done to fix a miss-drill like this is take a piece of scrap lexan, trim to cover the oversize hole with good overhang, paint as close to match as possible, drill hole for body post then shoegoo the "patch" in place after cleaning all jagged edges around the oversize holes.

It doesn't look brand new, but it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb anymore.

• Like 1

Painted my Clod, after sitting on a shelf topless for the last 8 months,.... Got the Mrs to put the stickers on. 

vv5gQwh.jpg

Added a light bar to front with working indicators,..

ROeo78r.jpg

And a light bar to rear with working indicators and brake lights.

xbxMeke.jpg

Need to fit a wheelie bar somewhere?,..... and a stoppie bar.   lol  lol  

• Like 8

thank you for advice, @Jason1145 and no, the paint was from leftovers.;) I couldnt think of lexan, good idea @ncpantherfan71,that should work.

I orderd today for my TA05 IFS, some parts.

850 Bearings 10pcs

TRF Damper Urethand Bushing ,10 pcs (53577)

E Parts Rear Upright 51298

A Parts (for stabilizator holders) 51208 

Ball-Head King Pinx2 51101

4.6x7.4mm langed Tube (2pcs) 51100 (is supposed to be 4.6x4.7mm)

Belts 53897 x2

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Painted my Clod, after sitting on a shelf topless for the last 8 months,.... Got the Mrs to put the stickers on. 

vv5gQwh.jpg

Added a light bar to front with working indicators,..

And a light bar to rear with working indicators and brake lights.

Nice! And delegating RC work out too well done!

So just how Big is that Clod next to your other Tamiya’s, as I’ve always like the look of that Super Clod ( no connection with the original one sorry) but resisted buying one due to size and cost.... the usual reasons for most of us!

Today I sorted out my box of motors and ESC’s and was surprised to see the numbers have dwindled, thought I had a good few more of each to choose from but had forgotten I’ve since made a few rollers into runners and that had to have come from somewhere!

Then I turned my attention to getting my TT02-D Type S from roller to runner, hence the above part. Now the last time I owned and drove a TT02 must be 3 years ago when I got back into Tamiya, and it never drove properly... steering wouldn’t Centre back and I gave up easily and sold it.

So now with some apprehension and  a bit more knowledge I’m back on a TT02! To start with I chose a simple system of a brushed MTroniks Sport 20 ESC and a used Torque Tuned Motor, running off a 6cell Nimh pack.. bench testing looks good :)

I eventually plan to speed run this TT02 so while I had all my RC stuff out removed the stock 70t spur and fitted the 54500 High Speed Spur (68t) gear. It’s only 2 teeth so not sure if it’ll help much but it looks nice ;)

VpIQBFU.jpg?1

N8eyqKF.jpg

q7eCqSP.jpg

viM0LHI.jpg

Next up a Steel RW 0.6Mod 29t Pinion which is twice the size of the stock Pinion... and it just fits inside the gearbox with maybe 1-2mm spare - staying within the Speed Run Rules about stock gearboxes!

YDli4Cm.jpg

Lastly I fitted a Yeah Racing alloy motor mount to hold it all together and allow for easier Pinion changes in the future.

LOtZk7d.jpg

J9dWKrP.jpg

oFtH6QM.jpg?1

PAf9js1.jpg

So now I have a 68/29 geared TT02 with a Torque Tuned morot running Nimh... I will test it later today and pray it drives straight and take it from there.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

thank you for advice, @Jason1145 and no, the paint was from leftovers.;) I couldnt think of lexan, good idea @ncpantherfan71,that should work.

I orderd today for my TA05 IFS, some parts.

850 Bearings 10pcs

TRF Damper Urethand Bushing ,10 pcs (53577)

E Parts Rear Upright 51298

A Parts (for stabilizator holders) 51208 

Ball-Head King Pinx2 51101

4.6x7.4mm langed Tube (2pcs) 51100 (is supposed to be 4.6x4.7mm)

Belts 53897 x2

To update the list,since my stardish wheels for the Xray are out of tires, and I did not want to spend a lot, since they are for shelf sitting, I searched and searched this morning while drinking coffee to find something cheap but not a no brand tire, and found the webshop BanzaiHobby. They have a lot of nice things, but most of the Tamiya Stuff is sold out. So orderd...

PIT Shimizu Racing Slick Tire 24mm med narrow (PS-0425)

Sorex 5 Spoke rims (for my Tamiya rally block tires)

Paid shimizu tires 2,61$ a pair, and a set of 4pcs 5spoke rims for 3,71$..

with shipping a total of 12$ for 4 shimizu slicks and Sorex 5 spoke rally rims.

• Like 1

@Jason1145 I will try and organise a group shot for you later. 

Some interesting facts to keep you going till I get my camera out.

• Clods increase in size as you get closer to them.
  • Clods don't jump, they push obstacles down, including the world.
  • When Clods accelerate, they don't travel forwards, they push the earth backwards.
  • As if that isn't enough, zero emissions.

I wanted one when I was 9., and a bruiser, avante, boomerang, lunchbox, monster beetle, pumpkin. lol  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Over the last week:

TL-01 refitted with all electronics and also replaced the last 4 plastic bushes with bearings (the 4 on the ends of the driveshaft). The car has an old schumacher formula motor, which has jammed up a couple of times - I grabbed the output shaft with some pliers and was able to free it - works fine. It has jammed once or twice, sometimes it frees without having to manually do it, when I've freed it up it sort of feels like the armature is touching the magnet in the can. I can't find any play in bearings - I tried to take it apart but although the brushes are replaceable I can't get the end cap off (tabs on the can are pushed in to hold it on and I can't release them). Not sure whats going on, but its fast when its going!

TT-01E fitted with the electronics it came with - HPI saturn 20T motor and a tamiya ESC. works fine..

WR-01 rebuilt from the pile of bits, I was waiting for the bearings from RC Bearings. I have a dual output hobbywing esc on the way for this.

Could do with some help on brushless setups if anyone can help !  See:

• Like 1

Thanks @wolfdogstinkus that answers that perfectly... I’ll have to sell 2 cars to make room for the Clod one day ;)

Tested my TT02 today and it’s not perfect... it still seemed to drive wavy and not centering from steering input releases just like my old TT02 did?! 

Are these cars just crap lol?!

Tbf I only had a narrowish path to test them on and I had the foam tyres on if that might affect anything.

The way it stands it doesn’t give me confidence to fit anything faster in this until I can get it taking off in a straight line ( reasonably straight atleast) and more importantly to straighten up properly after steering wheel release... it sometimes kept going the same direction of the turn for an extra second or two forcing me to counter steer to avoid going off the path and other times it seemed to only hold for a split second.... honestly it’s blurty from memory now but you know when it’s not driving like it should.

Do all Tamiya 4wd TC/Rally Cars drive like this? It’s my second experience with the TT02 now :(

Made a short video but it doesn’t capture the poor steering issue I’m concerned about I just wanted something on film so the run wasn’t wasted.. more testing needed groan!

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Thanks @wolfdogstinkus that answers that perfectly... I’ll have to sell 2 cars to make room for the Clod one day ;)

Tested my TT02 today and it’s not perfect... it still seemed to drive wavy and not centering from steering input releases just like my old TT02 did?! 

Are these cars just crap lol?!

Tbf I only had a narrowish path to test them on and I had the foam tyres on if that might affect anything.

The way it stands it doesn’t give me confidence to fit anything faster in this until I can get it taking off in a straight line ( reasonably straight atleast) and more importantly to straighten up properly after steering wheel release... it sometimes kept going the same direction of the turn for an extra second or two forcing me to counter steer to avoid going off the path and other times it seemed to only hold for a split second.... honestly it’s blurty from memory now but you know when it’s not driving like it should.

Do all Tamiya 4wd TC/Rally Cars drive like this? It’s my second experience with the TT02 now :(

Made a short video but it doesn’t capture the poor steering issue I’m concerned about I just wanted something on film so the run wasn’t wasted.. more testing needed groan!

Not a hundred percent sure but I had a similar problem a year or so back, turns out the ESC wasn't compatibile with the digital servo.

The steering wouldn't self center and sometimes steered it's self!

Not a TT02 by the way.

• Haha 1

Brought a few buggies to the in-laws as pa in law bought my nephews a touring car RC. Had no idea what he was buying but it's a pretty nice thing. Looks like a TT02 nut has alloy shocks, progressive would springs, toe in rear uprights and turnbuckles on all the arms and steering. Just a brushed motor, nimh pack and hw1040 but it's a proper thing. Pretty nippy. I brought the Monster Rising Fighter and Ultra G with me and we had a blast at the park. They thought the touring car was good then they saw Ultra G tearing about on the grass and suddenly they only had eyes for the buggies. In Your FACE on road models! 😝

And, as per every time I pull this buggy out, Ultra G was just a pleasure to drive. I am really proud of that bag of bits!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

@Jason1145 the solution is to have 2 clods, and then sit the other 2 cars in the bed of the clod, saving space. :D:lol:

That’s my kind of thinking. I seem to end up with two of everything!

Having just sworn myself off RC purchases for a while (hefty credit card bill made worse by recent CR-01) I received a stock arrival from Modelsport.

It is just a body. But then I’ll need paint, wheels, tyres, electrics...

Took my boys and their cars to a local country park.

They loved their cars being faster now they have silver cans instead of crawler motors.

Both the Lunchbox and Mad Bull took a surprising amount of tumbles without any major breakages.

In fact the only damage was a very well bent steering rod on the Lunchbox. I didn't get a pic but it was practically J shaped!

Fortunately I've been able to straighten it with pliers, but might have to look out for a stronger setup.

The Mad Bull, as always, carries on regardless. So impressed with that car as a basher for youngsters.

I took my TXT-2. The first time I've run it really, and the first time I've run lipos in any of my bashers.

I took 2 charged, Core RC 4000mah packs (the ones that are Tamiya battery sized). After almost an hour I hadn't even hit the lipo cut off on one of them. So the other has had to be discharged to storage level.

The TXT ran well. It's running a single Speed Passion 13.5 MMM motor and a Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL120 ESC. It had power enough to to pull wheelies on take off and was pleasantly fast (it would out drag the boys cars) without being silly. It didn't even seem to get warm either.

The tape holding the ESC did give up though, which brought my fun to an end.

Gratuitous photo...

8euOiRKcfbG6e4X1OqPibQ4HdzSg6_Zfs6yx5lgV

• Like 10

6 hours ago, svenb said:

Not a hundred percent sure but I had a similar problem a year or so back, turns out the ESC wasn't compatibile with the digital servo.

The steering wouldn't self center and sometimes steered it's self!

Not a TT02 by the way.

Solidarity brother I like it ;)

I removed the esc and motor and went brushless.. I’m 80% sure it was that very same MTroniks Sport20 esc I had trouble with in my old TT02!!!!

Will report back on how the new 4370kv motor and 45a esc combo work with 2s lipo.... but one thing is for sure from quick indoor testing and it’s blooming quicker than the Torque Tuned on Nimh!

• Haha 1