Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Have done most of my HB D817 build, its now a rolling chassis waiting for the engine, tuel tank and electronics. Was a really cool day, 6 of us built them together with a mix of experienced and novice racers. I learnt some useful tips for shock and diff building, and the car is setup for my home track which is a bonus. And they provided a great lunch to boot.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Have done most of my HB D817 build, its now a rolling chassis waiting for the engine, tuel tank and electronics. Was a really cool day, 6 of us built them together with a mix of experienced and novice racers. I learnt some useful tips for shock and diff building, and the car is setup for my home track which is a bonus. And they provided a great lunch to boot.

Ah, now this must have been so fun. Group builds sound like such a great idea.

11 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Ah, now this must have been so fun. Group builds sound like such a great idea.

Yeah it really was. The vast majority of RC people I've met are really helpful and this group was no exception. It helped me a lot getting help when I needed it and of course having company is usually better than not. It did take longer though.

• Like 2

I added some green indoor/outdoor carpet to my garage track and made some more corner markers.

43704455184_f0b77375e3_b.jpg43704455724_6b1ca0e809_b.jpg29484472037_7d6fec0a36_b.jpg

• Like 9

Knocked up a design for an enclosed battery retainer for the Thunder Dragon. Uploaded it to shapeways and found it would cost over $60!! Maybe not then.....

• Haha 1

this is the final thing holding 3d printing back, the cost....

16 minutes ago, taffer said:

this is the final thing holding 3d printing back, the cost....

Agreed, although I was pretty shocked. Feels like shapeways prices have risen a bit recently.

I have an alternative idea which uses M05 battery retainers. It will be more secure that the existing retainers, but won't seal the tub like I wanted. I get so much grass in the tub when I run the buggy.

Well it seems the technology and materials is still advancing...once the tech levels out, hopefully then the prices will drop quicker

I spent ages trying to find someone who sold a screwdriver or bit that would fit this blooody thing:

274368806_TriWingScrew.thumb.jpg.aef83402e646242620ac3460f222c119.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Yalson said:

I spent ages trying to find someone who sold a screwdriver or bit that would fit this blooody thing:

Bless the day I have found this set. 

Look next to the pinions, there are the ones you are looking for. I keep a lot more then just bits of the tool, this is the place for bits from bits. :D

2vjr23c.jpg14n05fm.jpg

This was on sale for about 12$

47 minutes ago, Yalson said:

You should find the correct bit in any 'Security bit' set - try somewhere like ScrewFix

5 hours ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

You should find the correct bit in any 'Security bit' set - try somewhere like ScrewFix

I tried Screwfix, but they were useless. Fortunately a nice lady in Toolstation next door went and had a look in their security section and got me a 25-piece Draper bit set with three tri-wing bits in it for £4.50. Result!

Then I got home and found that I didn't need to remove that screw at all. The hinges on that garden extension lead opened the other way and the doors just popped open.

Hmm. What have we learned today?

1. Pay attention, Matt

2. Toolstation is right next door to Screwfix, less crowded and the staff are not as dumb as shovels

3. Seriously, pay attention

4. Our new garden waterfall is finally working, though, and is very pretty. Even though it's not finished

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Knocked up a design for an enclosed battery retainer for the Thunder Dragon. Uploaded it to shapeways and found it would cost over $60!! Maybe not then.....

Try https://www.3dhubs.com/ I have had some small bits done through them cheaply, good service too.

• Thanks 1

Me and my F1 buddy, went on a new discovered spot to drive, finally something decent, the green paint is like rubber. Speeds of 60km/h without a problem, it has so much traction the 13,5T feels underpowerd compared to my buddys F104 v2 13,5T but on 3s.

When I took my F103 to the track the tires were new, after 30minutes of driving the inner line was not visible, and tires run in nicely.

Broke the spoiler again, glued it together. :rolleyes:

2n2kb6.jpgff33uq.jpg2znsw35.jpg2ro5p8z.jpgnwf1ut.jpg

My buddy with his F104 pro V2, and singing pinion. :lol: The car stopped on the end of the video and lost control, because the esc wire fell under the car and snapped. 

• Like 4

Been away for the weekend with my partner and our boys. On Sunday I discovered that where we were staying was a few hundred yards away from the South Hants Model Car Club outdoor, on-road, track and they had a race meeting that day.

Having never seen on-road racing myself - no tracks I'm aware of near where we live - I thought I'd take the boys along for a little look.

It was about 1.30pm when we arrived at the track to find....

...not a soul anywhere in sight :(

It seems either the information I'd seen was wrong and there was no meeting, or it had been a poor turnout and already finished/not run at all.

At least we had a look at the track!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Thanks. I'll give them a go.

I was just about to post that link too - used them several times now, would recommend. ;)

Started gluing this balsa boat together. This scratch built thing is good fun, and so much cheaper than a Tamiya kit. Its about $25 of wood and the glue and waterproofing stuff should last a number of builds...I wonder how many boats I can build before my wife leaves...

Also had to pull the rear diff out of the HB D817 as it was sticking. It turns out I hadn't quite tightened the grub screw in the diff casing enough so it was catching on the pinion. Better to work that out now before trying to run the engine. Used my impact driver for most of the screws as they take a truckload more effort than 10th scale screws.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, i_am_scarecrow said:

Stage 1 of project evil mini completed today!

40644067_748168135530660_3232551652946870272_n.jpg

Put a swinging Sledgehammer & Circular saw on the roof & enter Robot Wars. 

Does look great 👍🏻

• Haha 1

Today I invested in some future happiness by ordering a Kyosho Javelin 😃, because orange is the new black, and I like orange,    I also like black, It can be changed to black later down the track. Originally priced at A$450, then add a 5% discount code + a $50 voucher from Father’s Day, it just seemed rude not too. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I finally relented and took @Shodog's advice and got myself a metal chassis for my Fighting Buggy.

I got this one on ebay from Switzerland. It was made for the Super Champ so I had to drill a few more holes to make it fit. I hope that's not a mortal sin. It'll still fit a Champ just fine.

I also got a replacement bumper that I'm still trying to decide if I prefer to the standard one or not. It does make the car look taller and shorter, but it's shiny so I'm not sure.

P1010634_zpstbgvwoti.jpg

P1010636_zpshqwmay3s.jpg

P1010635_zpszrmv47yl.jpg

• Like 13

Did glue my Tamiya rally block tires on the new rims I got in the mail today, and then took a moment to have a look at how this tire thing escalted quickly. A lot of sets not enough driving. :huh:

24n4pzo.jpg1q1so2.jpg

• Like 1