Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Yes ofcourse @Jonathon GillhamI'm about to rip out these electrics and they will soon be for sale in the sales section, just wanted to show them all working here.

Mmmmm what battery is it🤔

28 minutes ago, Juggular said:

It's orange, I love it!  

And it can take a knock or two as my one handed driving shows :(

• Like 1

Replaced the dead servo in my lads Lunchbox with an Alturn waterproof unit. All back in working order now.

Also replaced both front shocks on my other boys Mad Bull.

Waiting for new bearings and o-rings before I can rebuild the Super Hotshot.

27 minutes ago, svenb said:

Mmmmm what battery is it🤔

A Tornado 3300Mah 6cell Nimh pack

Started rebuilding the chassis for my TL01 pick-up project. Eurgh, I soaked and scrubbed them but the parts aren’t  clean enough and there are some horribly rough used plastics. Got spoiled by my NIB XV-01T build.

As usual, I might have been a bit ambitious with this project. Getting the wheelbase spot on will be a challenge.

Wishing I hadn’t got carried away and started trimming the shell a while back. Should have followed @speedy_w_beans guide for setting body posts and wheel centres. Now the shell is out of stock at Modelsport again. Better not muck it up....

• Like 3

On 10/22/2018 at 9:20 PM, jupitertwo said:

Finished a holiday build

190-FD1-B8-55-FF-4-A22-85-C2-388-A03-D96

Pleasantly surprised by how good this looks. Lots of fun been had with my boys driving it round the gravel garden. I put a dirt tuned motor in it, but perhaps the torque tuned would have been enough.

That is great bang for your buck there B)

Looks similar to the Metallic Plasma Edge 2. 

On 10/23/2018 at 12:36 AM, Nicadraus said:

This is what I did today.

I planned on creating my own ESC and servo tray. The Tamiya trays are not enough and they are expensive. I bought a carbon fiber sheet (200mm x 300mm x 2mm) for $20 shipped. Turned out the way I had planned. First pic shows the plan I did last week.

P1140684.JPG

P1140689.JPG

Very neat @Nicadraus, what do you use to cut the desired shape with?

6 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Today  ran my Orange Gallardo.... on a stock XB TL01 chassis with XB electrics... a MSC and a Tamiya Steerwheel 27Mhz radio... and it all worked flawlessly..... this must be how it was done back in the day.... I'm about to rip out these electrics and they will soon be for sale in the sales section, just wanted to show them all working here.

c8s8goi.jpg

Great Gallardo @Jason1145, especially love the matching feature wall in you house :lol:

Now I just need to convince my wife we need to sell all our furniture and turn our house into an indoor circuit too.

• Haha 3

Got a couple more stages done on the Porsche before turning my attention to modifying my wife's baking to fit a tupperware chassis for my work pack lunch. Very happy with how it turned out. I wasn't overly concerned about neatness and longevity  as I'm not expecting it to last long anyway.

XIoHHBv.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Got the first part of the boat done today, made the skeleton thing.  Once the glue cures overnight its ready for the planking. Have some pics and will start a build thread shortly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

Very neat @Nicadraus, what do you use to cut the desired shape with?

I use dremel. Circular saw and grinders. Also sandpaper to refine the edges. 3mm drill bits (for metal) for the holes.

P1140709.JPG

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Got a couple more stages done on the Porsche before turning my attention to modifying my wife's baking to fit a tupperware chassis for my work pack lunch. Very happy with how it turned out. I wasn't overly concerned about neatness and longevity  as I'm not expecting it to last long anyway.

XIoHHBv.jpg

literally made me LOL - thank you!

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 1:14 AM, Jason1145 said:

Argghhhh me hearty, shiver me timbers you land lubber, pieces of eight... suppose you’ll be getting a parrot for your shoulder next Jono, who’s a pretty boy then... squawk!

Good luck with the scratch build I hope it gets completed before Xmas... no pressure.

Oh my goodness.  I can't get Captain Feathersword out of my head now!  Thanks for that.  :P

• Haha 2

Today I can finally see the floor in my hobby room. So I went through allot of stuff and things I'm not gonna do some work on in the near future I put in boxes and moved them to the loft. 

Now it will be easier to start having fun there. :)

• Like 4

Got the Neo Fighter halfway back together. It really needed an overhaul as some of its ball bearings were very worn, and the CVD's deperately needed a clean and rebuild.

Now I'm stuck at the front-end, because the metal 'upper wishbone and shock tower' mounts are bent and broken, and I hoped to have the plastic originals in the spares bag that the previous owner included when I bought the car from him. But no such luck..... 

I do not want to spend any money on new ones at this point, so the next project is to draw replacements in sketchup, and then fire up the 3D printer....

I'm defeated...  The bearing I bought is too big.  

Why, oh why did you do this, Tamiya of 1977!  (Or 2011, because this is a re-re XR311) 

4x6x2.5mm flange bearing doesn't seem to exist on this planet...  

g1tR13q.jpg

• Sad 1

Yesterday, I realised a dream.

Yesterday, I bought the beauty shown below. 

Yesterday, I was reunited with my favourite childhood car.

This is the actual Astute I went to my LHS back in 1989 and bought with my hard earned pocket money. I adored it - I would take it apart after every run and lovingly clean it and polish it and grease it. I had so much fun with it.

Then I discovered girls, and my loyal friend sat on it's shelf for several years, loved, but not appreciated as it deserved to be.

This is where the story becomes blurred - but somewhere along the time line it left it's shelf in my parents house and disappeared. I tried to track it down but no story really lined up as to where it was, or what happened to it. 

Towards the beginning of this year I think, I ran into a friend I used to run my cars with and we started reminiscing and the subject of my old Astute came up. I mentioned that that was my favourite car I ever had and I would love to have another.

"Dave's got it!"

"What?!"

"Yeah, Dave's got it. I saw it in his shed a while back."

So began my crusade dear reader. Trying to catch the elusive Dave proved somewhat tricky. Eventually he was spotted and I asked him about it and he said he thought he had it and would drop it off for me to have a look at. A few weeks later I arrived home to a disapproving looking wife and a pile of old RC cars. Instantly I spotted the Astute manual, and sure enough, inside was the asterix I made for the D parts I wanted a replacement for because I had scratched the front bumper.

I delved through the boxes - there's a bottom body pan!!!! Further I delved, through an odd looking Boomerang and a TT-02. But no Astute...........

I rang him back: "No, I never had that."

"But you've got the body pan and manual for it - you must have had it!"

"No, I think I bought that off my neighbour"

"Why would you buy a body pan and manual for a car you didn't have?"

"Hmmm. Let me have another look."

A few weeks passed and I got an email:

image2

"Is this it?"

My heart skipped a beat..... there it was - My Tamiya Astute....hello my old friend. The brush painted metallic red still looked good. It even looked to have had a career racing!

"Yeah, that looks like it might be it" (play it cool Jon, play it cool....)

"ok, let me know when you're free and you can come and have a look. Oh, but I'm off to my villa in Spain for a few months, so I won't be back until October."

NNNNNooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally he came back, a date was finally set and yesterday, the time arrived for us to be reunited.

It was quite a low key affair - didn't want to overdo it in case there was still some animosity at me leaving him behind all those years ago. But it went well, little bit of small talk, a twiddle of the diff and a gentle stroke of the body shell. I'll skip over the monetary matter as I don't want to cheapen such an event with those matters, but I took back custody of him, carefully put him on the front seat of my car (no boot for this one) and took him back to his new home.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce you to My Childhood Astute.

You can only guess how big the grin is on my face right now. Not much work will be done today.:wub:

IMG_0679IMG_0678IMG_0680IMG_0681IMG_0682

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Outside of RC, the best use for a 74111 Handy Craft Saw and abody reamer?

96CC2D71-AEBB-46F3-9B89-E1046AF62539.jpg

Please note, I’ve never carved a pumpkin before and the mouth shape was drawn by a four year old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It might not be RC, but your 'Midnight Pumpkin' suits the Tamiya spirit well enough.  

Very well done too!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

image2

It was quite a low key affair - I'll skip over the monetary matter as I don't want to cheapen such an event with those matters.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce you to My Childhood Astute.

You can only guess how big the grin is on my face right now. Not much work will be done today.:wub:

IMG_0678IMG_0681

What a beautiful story..... you must’ve done lots of good deeds to be returned in kind like that, well done... now to go get it running and go break it??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Juggular said:

I'm defeated...  The bearing I bought is too big.  

Why, oh why did you do this, Tamiya of 1977!  (Or 2011, because this is a re-re XR311) 

4x6x2.5mm flange bearing doesn't seem to exist on this planet...  

g1tR13q.jpg

I found them!!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XciteRC-Slide-Bearing-Steering-4x6x2-5/dp/B00IN4E9H0

Oh wait a minute.... : 😢 

• Haha 1

It's been a long time plan of mine to make a PINK Tamiya car and cunningly disguise it as a gift for my 2 and half year old daughter who loves PINK,  purely to try and escape any negative comments from the Missus about yet another car appearing in the house..... cunning eh?

To that end I have finally built the first part of that plan.......

PKtuYAH.jpg

nc2qJbn.jpg

yFPcpfr.jpg

Looks like my daughter (still with me?) will be getting a 4wd touring car with 2 hole piston shocks built to 55mm length... in pink :ph34r:

I have some PINK  4mm wheel nuts and PINK NIP GPM King pin step down screws (GPM DF2004) for a TL-01 or FF01 - so I think one of those will be the chassis of choice as it's not easy to get pink parts for Tamiya cars.

A pink body shell and some pink wheels should complete the look... those are yet to be purchased.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

It's been a long time plan of mine to make a PINK Tamiya car and cunningly disguise it as a gift for my 2 and half year old daughter who loves PINK,  purely to try and escape any negative comments from the Missus about yet another car appearing in the house..... cunning eh?

To that end I have finally built the first part of that plan.......

PKtuYAH.jpg

nc2qJbn.jpg

yFPcpfr.jpg

Looks like my daughter (still with me?) will be getting a 4wd touring car with 2 hole piston shocks built to 55mm length... in pink :ph34r:

I have some PINK  4mm wheel nuts and PINK NIP GPM King pin step down screws (GPM DF2004) for a TL-01 or FF01 - so I think one of those will be the chassis of choice as it's not easy to get pink parts for Tamiya cars.

A pink body shell and some pink wheels should complete the look... those are yet to be purchased.

Cunning 😉

• Haha 2

Lots of tinkering tonight. After reading a LOT about Ackerman I ran the Thunder Dragon earlier with a couple of tweaks. Seems to help. More suspension tweaks this evening including heavier damper oil. She's a heavy old bus and still quite bouncy despite running 500cst rear and 600 front. Gone to 600 rear and 800 front amongst other changes. More on that anon.

Second thing was on the DN01. On Saturday at the track it seems the trackstar ESC died. I had been considering going sensored so as I needed a couple of things from Modelsport I got a 72t spur and 28t pinion to give me a 6.64 FDR which should be suitable for 13.5t brushless. Gave it a quick go this morning before work using the TBLE02S and it seems promising. This evening I plumbed in the quicrun BL120 ESC from the DB01R. Should pep things up a bit! Also got a used sand viper shell from @waterbok and cut it to act as a chassis cover. Mounted some body mounts to the wing mounts and drilled some new holes in the test shell. Added some Velcro at the nose and I think we have proof of concept!

TRF Grasshopper2(01)TRF Grasshopper2(01)TRF Grasshopper2(01)

Will give it a run tomorrow and see if it holds. If it does I'll cut my nicer yellow shell to fit.

• Like 3