Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

360 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

I am currently preparing my DF02 to fit a Nissan Titan 1/12 Truck body.

Should be in the mail next week from rcmart. Together with the 4370kV brushless combo from ebay. 

QsTcfub_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With soooooooooooo many stickers to put on, its 90% finished so was close enough to have a quick run around the nicely polished concrete floor at work :)

A sort of a Jagermister / Black Special / Custom mix. I originally considered turning the side 'Jagermister' into [Drift]miester giving it a drift theme but couldn't find any suitable 'drift' stickers to do it. Never mind I like it how it is.

28hLVi5.jpg

JkmeLao.jpg

WG1XesH.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic day here. Ran the race buggies around the backyard track as theres a practice day tomorrow so my son will be running his HBD413 for the first time at the track. He isn't really ready but who is, so its time to take the plunge.

Then did some maintenance on the HB D817, changed some stripped screws, added heat shield, changed clutch bearings. 

Then spent about 3 hours on the hull fairing on the yacht. It seems tedious but is so satisfying, its ready for the sanding primer now. I would've done that too but wanted to get rid of all the dust properly so used a damp cloth and need it to dry so will do the primer tomorrow. No rush.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changed to a stronger steering servo on my Clodbuster. Also i had a run with it just to notice that there is some problems with the esc. If full speed, it just reacts and dies.. so just ordered a new dual motor esc combo, with 19t brushedmotors. Hopefully that will be ok 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing around with the ultrasonic cleaner.

This is the rear gearbox gearset from a used Marui Samurai I bought some time ago, all dirty from grease and dirt buildup and pinion gear shavings:

FgnVUCv.jpg

 

Ended up putting it all in a sealbag, with some terpentine to dissolve the grease, and let it run for 3 minutes (the cleaner itself is filled with water):

dyxKaS9.jpg

 

Took the gears out, the terpentine was really black and dirty. It worked well:

wmNxLhC.jpg

 

Then used a toothbrush to loosen any remaining black grease spots, and re-ran it in a new selabag with clean terpentine:

QkHz0ZZ.jpg

Very happy with this result! Time permitting, clean the rest of the gearbox parts.... Great buy this cleaner.

 

Also, got the rising fighter ready as much as I could. I'm only missing the steel pinion gear, and was hoping it would arrive today but no luck. Shipping from the UK to the Netherlands seems slower then usual lately. Maybe just as well, it was rainy outside so I should have waited anyway.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a fun morning at the track. It was drizzling all morning so not many people turned up with was perfect for my sons first run on the track. He needed a lot of marshalling but improved over the hour or so he was running. Had the EPA turned down to 50% so he got over an hour from a single pack. Mine lasted 20minutes. 

Waiting for my wife to go out so I can turn the garage into a spray booth

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally ran a pack through the DN01 with the new electronics and gearing. All good! 40MHz Rx works brilliantly with the hobby wing 120a ESC, and with punch and timing turned up its easily as fast - if not faster - on 13.5 3300kv compared to the original trackstar 60a sensorless ESC and 4370kv motor. And it's sooooo smooooth now it's a sensored system. Excited to run at the track with this next weekend. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen on a rc web shop a M05 chassis going on its own, new without motor, body, wheels and esc for 40€, the idea of buying and M05 chassis and covert it immediately while building to a Ver.2 seems vey interesting. Also the ability to run my hardcase lipos in this M05 with a brushless is great, thought about a cheetah 8.5T 4000kV combo, wheelbase wise I would run on the M05 either 225mm or 239mm as my M03 is 210, but I likenthe handling of 225 and 239 more. Uh, and it could easily become my rally chassis, while craving for the XV01 since it could become a M05RA Ver.2:D 

also contacted Fiber Lyte about M03 carbon chassis stiffeners, I would like to have the front and rear shock tower stiffeners in carbon since I already have a problem with the rear right shock tower mount on my M03S Fabia Also the servo mount stiffener is a must! 

Me and my buddy did drive our touring cars today, my TA05 3800kV SL brushless on 2S 65/130C 6.6mAh and his TB04 5200kV SL brushless on 2S 40/50C 6.0mAh. On track speeds of my TA05 IFS with 25T/70T gearing is 55kph and his TB04 with 38T/96T (0.4) is 65kph. 

I am waiting now over two months for new belts on the TA05 because of a failed order at rcecho.fr, while the belts on the car are still good, new diff pinions are also in the mail, might rebuild the diffs if necessary at a moment of time this winter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took my newly built Avante for it’s first spin, no body yet but couldn’t wait. Loved it!  First time I’ve driven any kind of RC vehicle, it was surprisingly fast and agile. Few things to figure out with he controller, but looking forward to it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ray_ve said:

Ended up putting it all in a sealbag, with some terpentine to dissolve the grease

Never thought of using a bag within my sonic cleaner -- top tip!

Although I wonder if turpentine is a bit harsh on the plastic? I've had pretty amazing results just using dish soap to remove the various greases found on RC cars (including the black molybdenum).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to have a weigh-in with some various TL-01 prop shafts while the cars are apart. Per the kitchen scale, the results:

  • The standard TL-01 shaft came in at a portly 33g
  • The GPM aluminium shaft was less than half the mass at 15g (thanks again to @Tamiyabigstuff)
  • The Tamiya carbon shaft was the lightweight champ at a scant 6g

Fun times! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frameskip said:

Never thought of using a bag within my sonic cleaner -- top tip!

Although I wonder if turpentine is a bit harsh on the plastic? I've had pretty amazing results just using dish soap to remove the various greases found on RC cars (including the black molybdenum).

This is a 'low aromate' terpentine, bought it at the local 'Action' store. Seems to be quite mild on plastics, unlike thinners which are way more agressive. 

Indeed dish soap is also great, I was experimenting to see what possibilities are available.

As a last step, the gears need to be cleaned in dish soap, to get the terpentine off, to allow new grease to stick to the Teeth as the terpentine dissolves grease and creates a slippery surface area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Printed the updated extruder parts for mk3 Prusa in Bridge Nylon and Polycarbonate. Learned my lesson with the nylon. I got my settings kind dialed in for the biggest piece, a little better for the next biggest piece and nailed it on the 3rd, tiniest piece. I feel like I should have done it the other way around. I don't want to waste material and reprint, but man does that third piece look good.

Also, lost a bid on a Monster Racer Hilux.

s-l1600.jpg

Bummed out, ordered two of these. If you have been putting it off because they are $$$, 

Now on sale at Tamiyausa.com for $81 per 4 pack. Or, $163 delivered for the 8 required.

Link: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/tamiya-goods/rc-txt-2-alum-damper/

2914ea86700fe4c954ee5d0da503376e.jpg
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have pretty much finished the hull of the yacht, sprayed it with primer filler which will need sanding with wet 600grit sandpaper and it should be done. Or I will find it really uneven and spend another 10 hours making it marginally better.

Also a great result from alibaba. I've been looking at Surpass V4S 17.5T motors as they appeared reasonably good value for money, but really too expensive still at about NZD120 shipped (compared to NZD160 - 180 for a name brand motor). A guy at the club had them and said to try alibaba not aliexpress, and sure enough, 2 are on their way here for NZD72 each, delivered. Who knew that you could order single units direct from the manufacturer. My faithful Trackstar motors are playing up so I want replacements before I need them as the 3 week shipping time would mean missing a meet or buying locally for loads more.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I have pretty much finished the hull of the yacht, sprayed it with primer filler which will need sanding with wet 600grit sandpaper and it should be done. Or I will find it really uneven and spend another 10 hours making it marginally better.

Also a great result from alibaba. I've been looking at Surpass V4S 17.5T motors as they appeared reasonably good value for money, but really too expensive still at about NZD120 shipped (compared to NZD160 - 180 for a name brand motor). A guy at the club had them and said to try alibaba not aliexpress, and sure enough, 2 are on their way here for NZD72 each, delivered. Who knew that you could order single units direct from the manufacturer. My faithful Trackstar motors are playing up so I want replacements before I need them as the 3 week shipping time would mean missing a meet or buying locally for loads more.

Keen to hear how you get on with these. They popped up on my radar recently and my favourite Speed Passion motors are getting a little thin on the ground. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Keen to hear how you get on with these. They popped up on my radar recently and my favourite Speed Passion motors are getting a little thin on the ground. 

I have high hopes. I'm expecting 95% of the performance of a top name brand motor at less than half the price. The guy at the club who told me to try alibaba knows a lot about electronics and enjoys the challenge of finding cheaper gear that works and also understands how they work and he said they are one of the fastest available now. He has been talking to someone in the UK who dynos them. Love this 'a guy I met's uncle's dog said...'  He also has a motor analyser so I'm going to get him to set the timing for me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used the 11-11 sale on aliexpress yesterday to buy:

3 ESCs
3 Servos
2 Ball bearing sets
2 Sets of black anodized M4 nuts
1 receiver
1 540 motor mount
1 21T/64T pinion/main gear.
1 NiMh 7.2V 6800mAh battery.

Projects to do with this stuff:
Blazing Star: disassembly, cleanup, ball bearings, rebuild with new electronics.
Marui Samurai: Same as star, and replace the chain and front diff.
Bullhead: Same as star, but also suspension repair, chassis paint, steering mod (2 servos), and get a nice custom bodyshell.
Mugen Seiki: look into the electric conversion from nitro (brushless, 2S or 3S).

So my time is booked for now. :lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Brat and a Blitzer saw some action yesterday. Kids are learning how to handle a pistol grip in cold weather (take your mittens off!) Now if I could just get them to not stand on the track while driving...

20181111_175525.thumb.jpg.1c7f8ee0a23a487326da273c9047fdf5.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got some more time to do RC stuff, so I continued to assemble my TF runner. It's mainly just the electronics that remains, before I can take it out for a spin again. 

IMG_20181112_230945_zpsodnp20zl.jpg

IMG_20181112_232954_zpsrd9htvm2.jpg

No I'm not gonna use these tires, but them ones in the pile behind the car. I will make the rear damper tower support and a front swaybar. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bjorklo said:

IMG_20181112_232954_zpsrd9htvm2.jpg

No I'm not gonna use these tires, but them ones in the pile behind the car. I will make the rear damper tower support and a front swaybar. 

 

 

Love those black wheels and tyres! Can I ask which type they are? ^_^
Looking for something that will look nicely on the Marui Samurai, these really cought my attention.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ray_ve said:

 

Love those black wheels and tyres! Can I ask which type they are? ^_^
Looking for something that will look nicely on the Marui Samurai, these really cought my attention.

Yeah, I think they will look nice on a Samurai.  The wheels are Egress ones, and the tires are tamiya square spike, i think them are called. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bjorklo said:

Yeah, I think they will look nice on a Samurai.  The wheels are Egress ones, and the tires are tamiya square spike, i think them are called. 

Excellent, Thanks so much! Egress is the magic word to find them. Something for next months parts run! :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 8:19 AM, geniusanthony said:

Also, lost a bid on a Monster Racer Hilux.

s-l1600.jpg

 

 

That's a shame, great looking piece. :(

 

19 hours ago, DrewZ said:

The Brat and a Blitzer saw some action yesterday. Kids are learning how to handle a pistol grip in cold weather (take your mittens off!) Now if I could just get them to not stand on the track while driving...

20181111_175525.thumb.jpg.1c7f8ee0a23a487326da273c9047fdf5.jpg

Jeez, how cold is it??!! :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now