Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Assembled the King Blackfoot. Now fully ball raced and sporting some cliff crawler tyres as I did with my other one. Will do some work on the shell over the weekend.

:P

Well first day of annual leave for me today, miserable and rainy. After a few hours trying to dodge the rain gardening I have given up and am now finishing a strip down of my cheapie car boot sale vintage hotshot chassis.

MUCH more fun :)

Will only do a little on that one as I still have maintenance to do on my runners - got a couple of days set aside to run the buggies with my brother while on holidays in Melbourne.

Rob.

So what have you done today?

Messed around abit more with narrowing the track on my Holiday Buggy 2010, shortened the driveshafts too now.

img280_29092010215112_1.jpg

img280_01102010232351_1.jpg

Bought a reissue NIB XR311 from ebay today, impulse buy to be honest. Now the big dilemma (again!) do I:

1. Keep NIB, not really my thing although I do have 4 NIB's that I have not got around to building yet.

2. Build it and shelf it.

3. Build it and run it ;)

4. open it, look at it and love it for a while then move it on (and probably regret it as it's not the first time this has happened)

Decisions decisions :)

Sourcing parts for my newly acquired TA01 chassis project.

I am thinking may be a bowler.

Also I had to do some GSCE coursework :)

So, what have you done today then?

Still doing the slow going resto work. For the past few days I've been cleaning up some old, yellow CVA dampers that came with the second hand Boomer, way back when. The dampers had been painted silver. (why do people do that?) So they've been sitting in Caustic soda solution and have been gently scrubbed with a toothbrush. It's taken a few days but they have come up yellow again. They'll do for a runner.

I also made a damper holding box so I can let them stand after filling to get the air out. That means I haven't got to sit there and hold each damper in turn, waiting for the air bubbles to rise. After filling one, I can put it in the holder and move on to assembling the next one. Damper assembly is the worst part of any kit construction, in my opinion.

The Jug body is still in the brake fluid.

Received a Mardave Meteor in the post.

Seems complete apart from the rear springs (will probably use some Tamiya ones if they will fit) and screws, but thats easy enough to source.

The body looks to have been painted in black hammerite, but quite like the 'rat' look for it, so tempted not to do any restoration to it and just run it. And bylooking at the build quality, it will probably stay like this condition for another 20+ years!

Also as a 1/10th it appears to be considerably larger than a tamiya 1/10th.

It's damper time. Now I've made a damper holder, building dampers is no longer a pain in the proverbial! The holder works fine for the yellow CVA dampers as they have the lip under the cap. Hicap dampers have a smaller lip, therefore are narrower than CVA's. I can place a Hicap in the holder, but it's a bit of a dodgy balancing act. Far from ideal. I'll just have to whip out the trusty dremel and make another holder for the Hicaps. No big deal.

Anyway, I set about cleaning up the front Hicap dampers on my Madcap runner. They were squeaking a bit, and after opening up I kinda found out why. The blue rubber top seals had become hard, and one even had a bit of oil in it. Well, they are 20 years old. Time to break out the Hicap damper repair kit. New seals top and bottom! To be honest, the bottom seals and rod guide didn't need replacing on either damper, but since I had the repair kit finally opened...

I thought it might be a good idea to try a different weight oil too. For as long as I've had the dampers, I've always used #400 oil with a three hole piston and soft springs at the front. The collar normally pulled down about 5mm from the top. That's been fine for running where I do - dusty tarmac with a few gentle bumps and grassy patches. But sometimes I run on normal paving (flagstones) and they are never level. So with the setting on the madcap, I find that the nose bounces and the car almost hops over this terrain. To stop this, I loosen the damper collars and soften the spring tension. This keeps the nose flat, but the wheels fly into the air with every bump. So the front wheels are not in contact with the ground much which means that cornering can suffer even more on such a hard surface. I'm hoping that with a heavier oil (#500), the front wheels will have less of as tendency to fly upwards, and glide smoothly over the hard bumps.

I thought it was about time I did something about my Terra Scorchers rear dampers. I haven't changed anything on this car since I won on Ebay some time ago. The rear dampers had very hard springs on, and when i opened them up, I found three hole pistons. No wonder the rear end just bounced hard. One of the dampers also had an older top - the part found on the Fox to hold the internal spring in place. Taking a look at the manual I also noticed that the dampers had been built to a custom setting, using some other parts. The Terra Scorcher CVA's use all yellow plastic throughout. Mine had black plastic thrown in - piston, spring retainer, lower mount. All wrong. Time to raid the spares box. Following the manual, I put back the two hole pistons, spring retainers/lower mounts (one piece) and the flanged nuts that sits above them, but I had to guess what oil and springs to use. For oil, I chose Tamiya's kit generic stuff that comes with most kits that have oil filled dampers. The yellow stuff. For springs, I went with anything softer than what was originally fitted. They came in a CVA damper kit, but I don't know what strength they are.

Now the car feels under sprung. It plops nicely when the rear end is dropped from a few inches, but if the whole car is dropped from a foot up, it bottoms out. I think I might need to order a Terra Scorcher damper parts bag from the Bay so I can get the spring and oil right.

Today I think I'll take a look at the front dampers, although they seem ok... From the out side.

I'm also in need of a new Hicap repair kit so I can clean up the rear dampers on my Madcap. Any offers? :(

This has been a rather "tinkery" weekend one way or another.

During the week, I bought my nephews old King Blackfoot off him for £20. I offered him £35 for it, but he wouldn't take more than 20, bless him. The car is probably 5 years old, run half a dozen times, and when I got it looks like it'd never been cleaned. The MSC was caked in muck and grime, and the rest of the bits and pieces were in a fairly dirty state as well. Insides of the gearbox looked like they'd been well greased, and t hankfully aside from some old lubricant all fairly clean inside. Stripped it down took the metal bits out, and threw all the plastic bits in the bath with some hot soapy water for an hour, and they've all come up good as new!

Plan is for this to be my second KBF Monster Beetle, and kind of an "Evo" version of the original. I've taken the box art MB shell off of my AX10 based "Mega" Monster Beetle project, which for one reason or another never reeeally got past the conceptual stage, and that's going to get mounted on the KBF chassis. I've ordered up a set of ally oil filled shocks, some Proline Dirt Works tyres (love the scale looks of these), and I've chromed up the red KBF wheels with some Plastikote chrome paint. Ultimately, it'll have an EZRun 8.5T Bruhsless motor, 2S LiPo and, naturally a wheelie bar.

As for the F150 shell, that's been de-decal'd cleaned up and is going to have the yellow and green "Days of Thunder" paint scheme applied to it, along with some lovely #46 DoT decals from those nice people at Autographics, and stuffed on the Mega MB AX10 based chassis instead. That will have a 13.5 EZRun, some Junfac wheel wideners (for a bit of added stability) and again, 2S LiPo. It's geared down nicely, and I'm hoping should fill that gap between rock crawler and buggy. Not stupidly fast, but oodles of torque. As it's sitting on some extra wide 2.2" wheels, and a set of Imex Pullers, I don't think traction is going to be much of a problem ;)

Today is also the day I drive down to Wiltshire to pick up MadInventors custom Clod that I've bought from him. Really looking forward to getting my grubby paws on it. Have already ordered a couple of 13.5T EZRun combos to go in there, a Y lead to link the radio leads, and a couple of heavy duty servos for the steering. Body is likely to be an HPI Dodge Charger painted in metallic burgundy.

Week after next I have the week off work, so no prizes for guessing what I'm going to be up to :)

Bought a reissue NIB XR311 from ebay today, impulse buy to be honest. Now the big dilemma (again!) do I:

1. Keep NIB, not really my thing although I do have 4 NIB's that I have not got around to building yet.

2. Build it and shelf it.

3. Build it and run it :o

4. open it, look at it and love it for a while then move it on (and probably regret it as it's not the first time this has happened)

Decisions decisions :)

Build it and run it ya big girl ;)

Sanding, masking, spraying, sanding, masking, spraying, ad infinitum. I've been working on a Mad Fighter body for what seems like an eternity. Yes I said Mad Fighter. After finally getting down enough white primer to stop the orange plastic dye leaching through, I could finally start on the top coats, which I started doing on Friday.

Applying the primer took weeks due to the weather, and trying to find the right primer. After using one type (Granville), which didn't seem to work too well, I moved on to Hycote Double Acrylic, which seems like a nicer product. Once enough primer was down, I masked off two thirds of the body and the roll cage/frame and started work on the white gloss. Every coat of primer and gloss has been sanded down to remove anything out of place or uneven. Today I wet sanded yesterdays coat and added a new coat. I think I've finished that portion and once it hardens over night, I'll wash the body and mask the next area, ready for it's coats of gloss white. Still plenty more sanding and masking to do after that, before moving onto the blue paint. Is it all worth it on a Mad Fighter? I'll consider it practice, as once the Juggy body is out of the dip, I'll have to do this all over again.

Yesterday also saw me spraying the Boomerang body and wing (finally), after masking them months ago, cutting them out and fitting them to the chassis. I might add the stickers to it today. I'm worried that I wont line up the wing stickers correctly. Does the soapy water trick really work?

I got a original Holiday Buggy today!!!

P1030341.jpg

So, What will I get tomorrow? A Blitzer Beetle!!! ;)

Badboy

Collected my first EZRun (35A, 9T motor) from the post office, and installed it in my TA03F Pro. Was a bit annoyed that the motor wires were about 2 cm too short to attach the ESC to the lower deck (but now I have room for something that uses my radio system's 3rd channel - but what?). Now to get a body and complete the car.

Look what the cat dragged in!!!

P1030354.jpg

P1030347.jpg

P1030351.jpg

Here some more pics of my Holiday Buggy I got yesterday...

P1030346.jpg

P1030355.jpg

P1030356.jpg

So, What landed on your doormatt?

Badboy

Painted the driver for one of my RC's (no prizes for guessing which haha), and an idea (hers believe it or not) on how to spend quality time with

my partner and also do RC related things by getting in some painting practice...

Driver:

002-1.jpg

Practice:

002.jpg

Still got a way to go though, practice makes perfect huh? :(

:edit:

Oh, and I ripped snot outta these three at the beach too :)

034.jpg

Week off work this week, so oodles of tinkering to be done.

Today, I finally finished the paint job on the King Blackfoot. Stickers from screenprintdigital arrived today, so should be up in the showroom tomorrow. Took ages to get the fade effect right on the paint, but I'm pleased with the way it's come out. Bit of a polish up on the body work and the bumpers, then stickers on and it'll be done.

Whilst giving the Blitzer a bit of a clean up and service, I decided three things. One, I didn't like the colour, two I have too many Red Bull paint scheme cars, and three the roof spoiler from the Touareg shell that I have left with a bit of modification would make a really nice whale tail spoiler for it, and finish off the look of it's backend. Always thought something was missing from that bit because there's no rear cage, and the tyres are that much larger - it just looks odd (to me at least).

Have done the first few coats of primer, have ordered some random sponsor decals from the bay, and also found a chap who does custom race numbers. Give him the number (up to 3 digits) and three colours for the font and two outlines and he'll fill an A4 sheet in that style in different sizes. Sounds brilliant, so will report back on my findings once they're here. Paint job is going to be bright orange (dont have any orange cars!) with an off centre herbie stylee twin width white stripe.

Also a set of Junfac wheel wideners arrived. These were originally going to go on the Mega Monster Beetle, but on second thoughts the track of the MMB is fine, and it's actually fairly stable in the corners (for what it is!) so the extra track width isn't actually really needed. Instead I used two of them to widen the rear track of my Falcon Beetle. Since fitting the bear hawk front end to it, it's widened the front track just enough to look slightly odd. That situation has now been rectified!

Bid on and won a TA03fs Peugeot 206 rally car, cant wait to get my hands on it. This makes my collection up to 7 cars and growing, lol.

A Falcon, Thundershot, TB01 Evo VII (sporting a Focus shell), Nikko Evolution 307/Scooby, Kyosho Mini Cooper, a bare ta01 chassis and now my 03fs. No wonder my bank manager thinks I am daft, lol.

any excuse to just hold ya missus's hand ! u romantic fool u .. B)

Lol. I was waiting for the "you should work in a salon" style comments :D

Dismantled the chuck on my lathe and managed to get the eccentricity down from 0.008" to 0.003". I found the chuck had the jaw numbers stamped in the wrong place on the chuck body. I'm well chuffed as it now means I don't need to buy a new chuck :D

Built my Fire Dragon up. Box stock with full bearings and Sport Tuned motor (I'll try a Stock RZ when it's run in a bit). I just have to mask the window and paint. Painted the tire lettering and it looks very cool with the black wheels.

I really like this car now! Its look is rather endearing. I know it looks like a minger in photos, but in the flesh it looks a lot better, even if it does look odd from some angles.

It does look like the body is mounted too far forward on the chassis using the default cut lines and mounting holes. I did contemplate mounting the body further back on the chassis, but that would mean deviating from the cutline over the front suspension and more speed holes in the body (curse you pre-drilled body holes!).

I did notice as well that in the drivetrain for this type of chassis, the counter gear has an 'unneccessary' bearing in it - it's locked to the counter shaft, that runs on two 850 bearings, but still there is provision for an 1150 bearing on one side of the counter gear that would never turn. So in reality a plastic bushing is slightly better due to lower weight, and the car needs 16x 1150, not 17x 1150 (as well as the 3x thrust bearing and 4x 850).

- James

one of my friends who commute's with me paid me this months gas money with a rc10t instead of cash. i'm pretty psyched!

i guess i'll have another entry for next years v.o.n.a.ts. i may even race it in the modern mod stadium truck class.

Sitting down and about to rest/clean my Blitzer Beetle!!!

Going to put the stickers on and paint the driver also, finnish the bodywork with the tail lights and stufff...

So, What have you done today?

Badboy