Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

360 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Fitted some adjustable steering links to my latest build and gave it a blast up and down the street, getting some air of the kerbs was fun! This thing jumps well for what it is. Need to do some more work on it but overall the concept seems to have worked out.

20190315_154334.jpg

20190315_154403.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I messed around with some .080" styrene and made a storage box to keep some tools in that I'm going to mount on the roof rack of my Defender.

32465815967_0977d8a730_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

40442425083_621e83c1f5_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Some hinges so it can open up and be put to use:

33532060438_905e651a6b_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

33532060128_b2113b66e7_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

32465808167_b654069f10_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Styrene is addicting stuff to work with!

I'll probably add a latch, and give some kind of army surplus color scheme, because right now all that white makes it look like a coffin!  I figure a magnet on the bottom of the box will hold the tools and keep them from rattling around.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

I messed around with some .080" styrene and made a storage box to keep some tools in that I'm going to mount on the roof rack of my Defender.

32465815967_0977d8a730_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

40442425083_621e83c1f5_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Some hinges so it can open up and be put to use:

33532060438_905e651a6b_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

33532060128_b2113b66e7_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

32465808167_b654069f10_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Styrene is addicting stuff to work with!

I'll probably add a latch, and give some kind of army surplus color scheme, because right now all that white makes it look like a coffin!  I figure a magnet on the bottom of the box will hold the tools and keep them from rattling around.

That is really cool. Did you plan it or just start cutting and it worked out?

After running the Plasma Edge II's yesterday I realised that they need some love - they are in a very sorry state. I'm also annoyed as they are actually a heap faster around my backyard track than the much cooler Fox and Boomerang. Since I gave Jamie a Plasma Edge to run instead of a rere he has improved out of sight and now we have some fun races with me driving the Fox. Well, he can get around the track now so can stay in front of me until he makes a mistake which can be a couple of laps.

Anyway, just ordered 2 A parts trees and a Parts Bag A which will hopefully be enough to sort out the front ends which both have a lot of slop in them and weird things going on. I may need new arms too, but hopefully this will do it. Unfortuantely they weren't available locally so on a slow boat from England

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

That is really cool. Did you plan it or just start cutting and it worked out?

After running the Plasma Edge II's yesterday I realised that they need some love - they are in a very sorry state. I'm also annoyed as they are actually a heap faster around my backyard track than the much cooler Fox and Boomerang. Since I gave Jamie a Plasma Edge to run instead of a rere he has improved out of sight and now we have some fun races with me driving the Fox. Well, he can get around the track now so can stay in front of me until he makes a mistake which can be a couple of laps.

Anyway, just ordered 2 A parts trees and a Parts Bag A which will hopefully be enough to sort out the front ends which both have a lot of slop in them and weird things going on. I may need new arms too, but hopefully this will do it. Unfortuantely they weren't available locally so on a slow boat from England

I'm a horrible planner so I just went for it, lol.  In the first pic you can see the set of tools I wanted to fit in the box with room to spare, so that's what I took my first measurements from.  From there I just winged it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally put in an order for a CC01 today.  Ordered the Unimog 425 this morning and waited all day for confirmation.  Nothing arrived, which seemed odd, but I figured I'd just have to wait until tomorrow.  Then I got the email tonight.  Great, I'll just put the rubbish out and do a few other chores then I'll pay for it.  Half an hour later I see there's an apologetic email saying they actually didn't have it in stock but did have the alternative Unimog 406.  I decided I might as well... wait a second, the model number doesn't look right.  Turns out its the CW01 chassis and the importer doesn't have any others.  So, no CC01 Unimog for me.  Now, to spite the universe, I'm dangerously close to buying a CR01 Rock Socker.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weekend I got the Avante body and cockpit finished up. Super happy with how it turned out. First time in a LONG TIME that I've used the soapy-water method to lay down decals, due to the intakes, cockpit piping, etc. being complex. 

e7c29fd72a4ff6cc00432e844c5e3c5b.jpg
b0f1f525c3bea7b77ed6ddb665a593b5.jpg
065347d240f76dff15370ca47ec12d3c.jpg
a3e8a9a4e61e199b037e0ece5f5b6f48.jpg
395c31a4ce85eaf482a05044d051d7d2.jpg

  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought and paid for a re-re Hotshot.....appears my 4WD collection will start with a HotSHot ( I will decal as original) 

**** need another shelf in display case.....no make that 2 shelves and a HotShot 2....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

I messed around with some .080" styrene and made a storage box to keep some tools in that I'm going to mount on the roof rack of my Defender.

33532060128_b2113b66e7_c.jpg

32465808167_b654069f10_c.jpg 

Styrene is addicting stuff to work with!

That is a fabulous idea, and well-executed, too! Your workmanship with the styrene is quite clean, so it is for others' enjoyment, too, that you find styrene so much fun to work with :) That tool crate is an idea worth borrowing for any sort of heavy-duty off-roader or extreme off-road racer.

4 hours ago, NWarty said:

This weekend I got the Avante body and cockpit finished up. Super happy with how it turned out. First time in a LONG TIME that I've used the soapy-water method to lay down decals, due to the intakes, cockpit piping, etc. being complex. 
b0f1f525c3bea7b77ed6ddb665a593b5.jpg

a3e8a9a4e61e199b037e0ece5f5b6f48.jpg
 

Remembering your marvellous Porsche 935 restoration had me anticipating great things for your Avante build, and these pictures (among the others) confirm that suspicion! I hope you are enjoying the chassis build, too!

Meanwhile, I took a punt on an aftermarket McLaren M23 body set:

1-10-1973-Mclaren-M23-F1-RC-Car-RC-_1.jp

Representation:

1-10-1973-Mclaren-M23-F1-RC-Car-RC-_1.jp

I noticed a number of privateers ran the M23, and so I think I would like to experiment with an alternative paint scheme. Specifically, I wondered where the impetus for developing the Tamiya Striker came from, and figured that perhaps "Shakey" Roop had some previous experience early on with a Formula One car...

The body set in question depicts the 1976 car, but I am interested in exploring whether or not I can scratch-build some sort of overhead air-box to mimic the earlier versions of the M23, as well as cut down the side-pods at the rear for the same purpose.

While I was at it, I also found a spare Lancia Rally shell - and I do mean Lancia Rally:

s-l1600.jpg

I will source re-release parts to complete it, but the chassis selection remains open. I seem to remember experimenting with a WR-02C back in the day... Paint will likely be a standard/augmented Martini Racing scheme, though tire choice might see me try something different if I opt to run original-size wheels and tires, which would be the turbine-style wheels and Advan HF tires from the Honda City Turbo.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was foolish. I was careless.

I let my reserve stockpile of cheap-but-entertaining kits that you-can-build-on-a-quiet-monday-night dwindle away and finally disappear over the last couple of months... only to be caught unprepared when today's monday night actually turned out to be a quiet one. 

Now I have nothing to build and no-one to blame. I must suffer, and I deserve it! 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started my Egress build, couldn't face ball diffs tonight though so stopped here!

20190318_191935.thumb.jpg.2ff968897ab4ff721db90ddf45848475.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grastens said:

That is a fabulous idea, and well-executed, too! Your workmanship with the styrene is quite clean, so it is for others' enjoyment, too, that you find styrene so much fun to work with :) That tool crate is an idea worth borrowing for any sort of heavy-duty off-roader or extreme off-road racer.

 

Thanks mate!  I doubt I'm the first one to do this but I wanted to make something out of styrene and figured while at it make it functional!   :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent a few brief moments putting the Super Hornet rear shock mount on the GH2 and my runner Sand Scorcher  wheels and tyres. 

When my Wild One eventually turns up I will swap the front bumper and motor over and then it is ready to go to its new home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appologies for the rather hurried (one handed) video, but this really is too good not to share:

My wireless winch remote arrived today (bargain from ebay, works perfectly with the RC4WD winches) so I had to wire it up and test it!

Richard Hammond, eat your heart out!

Jenny x

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 hours ago, Blista said:

I finally put in an order for a CC01 today.  Ordered the Unimog 425 this morning and waited all day for confirmation.  Nothing arrived, which seemed odd, but I figured I'd just have to wait until tomorrow.  Then I got the email tonight.  Great, I'll just put the rubbish out and do a few other chores then I'll pay for it.  Half an hour later I see there's an apologetic email saying they actually didn't have it in stock but did have the alternative Unimog 406.  I decided I might as well... wait a second, the model number doesn't look right.  Turns out its the CW01 chassis and the importer doesn't have any others.  So, no CC01 Unimog for me.  Now, to spite the universe, I'm dangerously close to buying a CR01 Rock Socker.

You wouldnt be interested in a used CC-01 Bronco would you?

5SLc0IW.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

today i built the all important turnbuckles for my tt02. what have you done today?20190318_175309.thumb.jpg.d454758c1adf1b21b74935d66ceeae25.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, berman said:

 

You wouldnt be interested in a used CC-01 Bronco would you?

5SLc0IW.jpg

Thanks for the offer but I need a blank slate for my first CC01.  Great photo though!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Locked out the rear steering on my Bullhead, all tested indoors and it works.... sweet!

CPE Rear lock out plate and some additional 3mm x 100mm  threaded bar with a couple of lock nuts to secure it.....#

VqrgStA.jpg

sRzJ8WK.jpg

PLNcs4O.jpg

T4Vt7KX.jpg

 

Now I have front steering only.... time to take it outside and test it see if it turns like the Titanic on a cold night!

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FINALLY got a window of weather and opportunity to run some cars! Tried the new 550 motor in the Short Course Truck. Holy cow she's torquey! Much smoother on throttle being sensored so pretty happy with that. More glitching radio though. Annoying. 

Ran the Thunder Dragon with more balanced damping and softer rear springs and it was really balanced again. Its running so nicely I am wondering about putting a stronger motor in it. There's always something isn't there?! 

Also these radio annoyances over the last couple of months have finally got the better of me. I am joining the 21st century and have ordered a Flysky FS-I6 and a self centre kit for the throttle. If I get on with it I expect I'll ditch the whole AM radio fleet. I have 6 runners so I can conceivably run them all from one handset. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

FINALLY got a window of weather and opportunity to run some cars! Tried the new 550 motor in the Short Course Truck. Holy cow she's torquey! Much smoother on throttle being sensored so pretty happy with that. More glitching radio though. Annoying. 

Ran the Thunder Dragon with more balanced damping and softer rear springs and it was really balanced again. Its running so nicely I am wondering about putting a stronger motor in it. There's always something isn't there?! 

Also these radio annoyances over the last couple of months have finally got the better of me. I am joining the 21st century and have ordered a Flysky FS-I6 and a self centre kit for the throttle. If I get on with it I expect I'll ditch the whole AM radio fleet. I have 6 runners so I can conceivably run them all from one handset. 

numerous cars on 1 handset is a really nice development in technology, love it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went through my workbench piles last weekend for cleanup. I noticed I have several 2 cycle engines from my HPI Baja I've owned for the past 12 years.  I decided to go ahead and put in one of the engines and I started to take apart the Castle Creations brushless conversion pieces apart that I never used.  I disassembled for over an hour with the thought of selling it on ebay. Went to bed, woke up and decided I'm keeping the brushless conversion. I can't screw up my ears any more and I think I've reached my point of gas/oil mix cleanup. So, I shopped over the weekend for a great deal, found a Castle XL X ESC and a Dynamite 800kv motor which should be here by the end of the week.

Tried out my X-Maxx batteries in the chassis and found they are too long for the Scorpion shorty chassis I installed on the Baja years ago. Now I just have to swap out the shorty with the original, so apart again!

UybcWOR.jpg

 

jtOrY2m.jpg

OrFiZC7.jpg

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted a decal sheet to a TC member 💥

Disco sorted me out some hubs for my LB 👍

Had an email from JJ to say he will be starting on my WW shortly 🥊

Phtotograghed the GH2 for a TC member that may want it

Had an email to say my Wild One was finally posted out on Monday 😊

That’s more than enough emojis for a 49 + 3 quarters man! 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grumpy pants said:

Posted a decal sheet to a TC member 💥

Disco sorted me out some hubs for my LB 👍

Had an email from JJ to say he will be starting on my WW shortly 🥊

Phtotograghed the GH2 for a TC member that may want it

Had an email to say my Wild One was finally posted out on Monday 😊

That’s more than enough emojis for a 49 + 3 quarters man! 

Just imagine what you could do if we had GIF's on here too :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

FINALLY got a window of weather and opportunity to run some cars! Tried the new 550 motor in the Short Course Truck. Holy cow she's torquey! Much smoother on throttle being sensored so pretty happy with that. More glitching radio though. Annoying.

2

What ESC and servo are you running?  You said you had a 60a ESC but what is its BEC output?  You might get away with just using a glitch buster capacitor.  I run them on all my rigs with servos that have a big current draw, especially the Savox ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now