Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Went for a walk. Tried a new spot right close to where I live. Was a lot of fun. Can't wait to get a brat body on this!

tXyfX6P.jpg

rfnbpJf.jpg

P67QaYT.jpg

There are worse ways to spend time :)

H

• Like 5

Both Tamiyas, 2wd, powered by 13.5 brushless motors. The driving experiences are a *bit* different 😉

20190506_135728

The TRF201 was an utter pleasure as usual. The Comical Hornet is a brilliant laugh on park grass. I can see this is where they make most sense. Big of ground clearance, bouncing around, not enough grip to tip them over so you can just tear about. Also drove it back through the woods for a bit of light trail work which it was also quite good at. Fun afternoon. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

This... 

Applied base coat. 

IMG20190506160407.thumb.jpg.228916af62ea1b2f98c4c62867bcb323.jpg

IMG20190506160400.thumb.jpg.156da1ed31864e12b1c00e693b0914d8.jpg

More here:

I like that blue, suits the shape of the body. Post some more pics as you go...

• Like 1

On and off today I've been researching portable power solutions for providing power for a charger at race meetings or when out and about.

Main options are a car/leisure battery or a generator. Either of which would do the job but would only be used for this one thing.

An alternative is something like this - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123665288222

Which is basically a pile of LiFe batteries with connections to output 12v DC and an inverter to give 220v AC.

For me that seems an ideal solution as it could be used for more things.

But I know next to nothing about electronics so can't be sure if it would actually do the job.

Can anybody shed any light?

Finished the Body for my Bullhead, well almost. I think I will apply some additional sponsor decals, not too much but something is still missing. I will take some better pics outside when the weather is better (10°C and a little bit rainy currently).

Cn-EX1Z3wIsqX6A-HSJVlVtpQ2i1HsvtffmZkYjF

• Like 6

Ordered 2 new front tyres and some more bearings for my 2nd set of wheels for the Sand Scorcher.

Found two dropped screws on the rug this morning without injury 😊 

Managed to spend under £10 on R/C related things at the weekend!

Getting excited about my M38 resto that @jonboy1 has very kindly taken on as he has started to reassemble it 👍

Since I had enough cars...., I bought 2 Marui Big Bears. :wacko:

I really must do something about my impulsive-behaivoure control......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Was able to swap the front uprights on my Avante 2001 for re-re Egress units now that I've got the required spacers.

The re-re setup moves much more freely with no sign of the binding that troubled the front left.

Also, seeing as I'm booked in to take part in the Iconic Schumacher Challenge in the middle of June, I thought it time I make a start on refurbishing my old Procat.

So, I started stripping it down ready for a clean.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

Also, seeing as I'm booked in to take part in the Iconic Schumacher Challenge in the middle of June, I thought it time I make a start on refurbishing my old Procat.

Any chance of a few pics in the "other makes" section. Become bit of a Schumacher fan after building the XLS and K2. Would be interested in seeing how they developed. 

Cut all the TXT-2 shock parts off their sprue's and trimmed them in preparation for assembly.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:43 PM, Peter_B said:

On and off today I've been researching portable power solutions for providing power for a charger at race meetings or when out and about.

Main options are a car/leisure battery or a generator. Either of which would do the job but would only be used for this one thing.  

An alternative is something like this - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123665288222

Which is basically a pile of LiFe batteries with connections to output 12v DC and an inverter to give 220v AC.

For me that seems an ideal solution as it could be used for more things.

But I know next to nothing about electronics so can't be sure if it would actually do the job.

Can anybody shed any light?

166 wh at 7.4v would be 22,000mAh.  

That sounds like a lot, but give or take 20% of power loss for various reasons... it would be safe to draw about 18000mAh.  That'd be good enough to recharge 3 packs of 6000mAh 2S batteries?  (or 2 packs of 3S) 

For that price, though, I wonder if it might be better to buy 2-3 more LiPo batteries?   Price per watt-hours is the same.  Just that if you have more RC batteries, you won't have to wait for the batteries to be charged on the field.  

• Like 1

I actually sold something.  Not super excited but it had to happen.  I have way too many cars, all mostly unbuilt so it was time to move something along (plus I have an Arrma Kraton on the way).  I need to sell a couple more but my Tamiya cars never do well on eBay and I hate taking a heavy loss on them so I will choose carefully.

• Like 1

I sold unneeded part last night, its now packed and it will be posted today. 

I do like moving along anything that’s not needed, the money gets recycled back into the hobby.   I have less stuff but what I have has a purpose. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Juggular said:

166 wh at 7.4v would be 22,000mAh.  

That sounds like a lot, but give or take 20% of power loss for various reasons... it would be safe to draw about 18000mAh.  That'd be good enough to recharge 3 packs of 6000mAh 2S batteries?  (or 2 packs of 3S) 

For that price, though, I wonder if it might be better to buy 2-3 more LiPo batteries?   Price per watt-hours is the same.  Just that if you have more RC batteries, you won't have to wait for the batteries to be charged on the field.  

Thanks for the input. All the different numbers being quoted had me confused. But thanks to you I think I can see what calculations to use now.

I did think of buying extra packs and charging at home. Trouble is I don't live near the venue's I'm planning to race at. So on race day it will be an early start to get there, meaning I wouldn't have time to charge before I leave. Then there are the stories of how you shouldn't leave lipos fully charged for too long, which makes me wary about charging them the day before.

• Like 1

Ordered a 'stickpack' hardcase lipo to use in the M-05 chassis.
Hopefully, I have some time this weekend to start cleaning all the parts because I am expecting the bearings to come in next week.

• Like 1

Ordered 40 1150 bearings as my stock is nearly depleted

• Like 4

I am rebuilding my basher sabertooth at this moment, that I am going to sell, my plan to reduce my collection of cars and parts are going wel.

I sold past week my sand scorcher, boomerang and nib bull head, and for the first time I made some profit out of it.

I decided that I only keep the cars that I really like, and told myself  no more impulsive purchases !!!!

The money is going to spend on the hobby but only on something that I really want, no more buying because it is cheap or a bargain or trying to make a bad handling cars beter with a ton of hopups and discover that doesn't work.

• Like 1

Finished stripping down my Procat and given the majority of plastic parts a run through the ultrasonic cleaner.

Ordered a new set of bearings, diff balls and thrust races for it as well as a couple of new parts to replace some that are a bit too worn.

• Like 2

Went in to my local model shop to ask about 1/8th RTR bashers. I know it's not Tamiya but I've been recommended to look at an Arrma Outcast 6s. Anyone got one? Sorely tempted to try something new.

• Like 1

Cleaned and buffed the windows. The stains couldn't be removed with just soap so I had to rub it down with buffing compound and a buffing machine.

Before:

EbiV28vh.jpg

gcFhJU0h.jpg

After

jIExbeJh.jpg

FLn2Hwgh.jpg

Sprayed 5 layers of clear gloss top coat.

Pqumg9zh.jpg

zy3NKkUh.jpg

53YKpzVh.jpg

Will wet sand and buff tomorrow once the clear coat is cured and do the window side panels, moulding, grill, door handles, and rear plate garnish with flat black. Then install the lights.

• Like 7

Geez @MadInventor, that big jigger really gets a lick on :o Love it.

But seeing as its 1-0 to the Fav, there will have to be a rematch ;)