Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Geez @MadInventor, that big jigger really gets a lick on :o Love it.

But seeing as its 1-0 to the Fav, there will have to be a rematch ;)

Yep, no 55 turn crawler motor in that Rig B)

Causes too much damage to the Rig 'when' I roll it, I can see why they had 3 to make the main film with. I also really need an FPV system in it and the FAV, as I had to bin a lot of footage as you could see me and the FAV driver in the camera shots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a lathey day. 

I needed to make some standoffs to mount my brat body shell to my crawler. 

dwlszOc.jpg

Cue a bit of nylon scrap

TQa4WQA.jpg

Top hat machined

P3nsyOQ.jpg

And screwed to shock towers!

h71nztV.jpg

Velcro added and away we go. There is a more 'solid' attachment method at rear and on the sides so it doesn't have to be anything super strong. 

pzPX83Q.jpg

Also got the time to start on some gears for a non Tamiya (still rc) project! 

• Like 6

So a F103 just fell into my lap with a gorgeous NIB Williams FW18 body set, complete for $50 USD. Ho...Lee...smokes....I've never had an F1 car. It's equipped with a Novak ESC, Sanwa Rx, and Hop-up Heatsink motor mount. The foam tires are cracked, but the chassis is in wonderful condition, and the runner body is in excellent nick, just a little dusty.  

A co-worker wanted it to go to a good home. He found out that we both love plastic models and Tamiya RC cars. I got the friend discount. Yay!!! 

Pictures to follow tonight

e288490e778b35f69dff78c1f07544f1.jpg

6d0ba974982e4b9d9732b8ebfb9a5a9c.jpg

• Like 6

Stripped the Procat shocks and put the parts through the ultrasonic.

Getting them apart was easier said than done, struggled to get the circlips out that hold the seals in.

Quite impressed with the seals though. It's approx 25 years since the car was shelved and all of the oil was still in each shock.

Ordered a couple of rebuild kits though, as the diaphragms have gone a bit hard and, despite keeping the oil in, the o-rings could do with being replaced.

Now just waiting for some deliveries before I can start rebuilding.

And I need to find the tensioning bar, or source another one.

• Like 2

I'm in the middle of prepping a basic TT02 for a speed run attempt and played with the body and tires today.  There are some drivetrain upgrades still in the mail, so this is something that can be done while I wait for those parts.

The body is a Protoform P47-N; it's meant for 200 mm wide touring cars, but I wanted something oversized relative to the TT02's narrower 182ish mm width.  The result is the wheel arches remain intact to keep some air out and maintain the structure, and the front can steer completely without rubbing on the inside of the shell.  I'm opting to keep the body clear so I can mount a GPS speedometer to the chassis and make it easily viewable while protecting it from crashes.  Having a clear body also gives me some options for mounting a FPV camera if I want to try that later.

The tires are Contact RC 35 shore foams meant for nitro touring cars.  The idea here is to minimize expansion at speed to reduce the risk of a failure and maximize traction.

The back of the shell might get some holes reamed into it eventually, but given the shell is designed with some downforce in mind already, it might be worth it to test as is.

IMG_3976.JPG

IMG_3977.JPG

• Like 7

Finished up the M06 Silvia body.  I :wub: two-tone paint jobs.

VcjvKVn.jpg

The chassis isn't finished yet.  I was going to get the 54000 Aluminium dampers but that money would be better spent on the upcoming M08.

• Like 4

I wasn't happy with how i had epoxied the keel into the keel bulb on my racing sparrow. It was 'fine' and I did discuss with a couple of engineer friends about how much it will matter and both thought it would be negligible. The keel was straight and vertical but it was just off-centre, maybe 1mm. After weighing it up i attacked it with the dremel and took the keel out and cleaned up the slot in the bulb so i can do it properly. For the sake of an hours work I would be gutted if it had an obvious list. On the plus side I found out how strong the epoxy is that I am using to glue them together, it will definitely hold up in a decent wind.

Also started TA07 damper stay mk II. Had to stop halfway as I broke my last cutting disc. I went to the local hardware store which didn't stock them, and couldn't be bothered driving to the big hardware stores.

• Like 4

Sold another Ranger as I just couldn’t see myself getting round to giving it the love it deserved - Still got 3 left, so I’m not too heartbroken

46906728665_b4e4ce0c66_b.jpg

Also decided to start cleaning up one of the Bear Hawks ready for moving on

46906728695_7cde65520a_b.jpg

The aim is to try & get back below owning 30 models 😳

• Like 2

1 hour ago, max69vk said:

Sold another Ranger as I just couldn’t see myself getting round to giving it the love it deserved - Still got 3 left, so I’m not too heartbroken

46906728665_b4e4ce0c66_b.jpg

Also decided to start cleaning up one of the Bear Hawks ready for moving on

46906728695_7cde65520a_b.jpg

The aim is to try & get back below owning 30 models 😳

Nice Ranger, looks like an early model.

If you have a Super Champ to move along then please let me know 👍

Took off the Unimog body and mounted the Bronco on the CC01.  My phone takes awful photos.  It looks washed out and grainy enough to be a old photo which sort of suits the retro Bronco.

RCjn3bV.jpg

I'm thinking of painting the front bumper in X11 Chrome Silver.  I'm also contemplating if it's worth having a third body for the same chassis.  Seems a bit excessive, but the Defender 90 has grown on me.

• Like 5

Not sure how wise letting my 5 year old run a brushless lipo Cougar was, but he did well!

20190511_112743.thumb.jpg.ea61abccb8b34ea8e0770e98abc84637.jpg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

I'm in the middle of prepping a basic TT02 for a speed run attempt and played with the body and tires today.  There are some drivetrain upgrades still in the mail, so this is something that can be done while I wait for those parts.

The body is a Protoform P47-N; it's meant for 200 mm wide touring cars, but I wanted something oversized relative to the TT02's narrower 182ish mm width.  The result is the wheel arches remain intact to keep some air out and maintain the structure, and the front can steer completely without rubbing on the inside of the shell.  I'm opting to keep the body clear so I can mount a GPS speedometer to the chassis and make it easily viewable while protecting it from crashes.  Having a clear body also gives me some options for mounting a FPV camera if I want to try that later.

The tires are Contact RC 35 shore foams meant for nitro touring cars.  The idea here is to minimize expansion at speed to reduce the risk of a failure and maximize traction.

The back of the shell might get some holes reamed into it eventually, but given the shell is designed with some downforce in mind already, it might be worth it to test as is.

IMG_3976.JPG

IMG_3977.JPG

Thing I am surprised no ok be has tried is a sealed underfloor (unless its illegal in racing). Cutting a lexan sheet to reach to the shell and then seal with tape would give a lot less drag, no? 

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Thing I am surprised no ok be has tried is a sealed underfloor (unless its illegal in racing). Cutting a lexan sheet to reach to the shell and then seal with tape would give a lot less drag, no? 

Yes, I'm thinking about cutting some aluminum sheet and riveting it to the chassis tub to mostly seal the floor.  The bottom center of the tub protrudes a little, so with the right sheet profile I can make it flush with the plastic.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Yes, I'm thinking about cutting some aluminum sheet and riveting it to the chassis tub to mostly seal the floor.  The bottom center of the tub protrudes a little, so with the right sheet profile I can make it flush with the plastic.

I will be very interested to hear how that performs. 

Bit the bullet and went to Als Models in Milton Keynes to pick up a 2019 Arrma Outcast.

It's huge! That's a 1/10th buggy next to it in the picture. 

It's ridiculous on 6S!

20190511_185242.thumb.jpg.154d2d842a78226de972fdac1fdc41ac.jpg

• Like 1

Been to a zoo all Day, wife and kid are tired and early to bed. So if anybody needs me, I'm best the ultrasonic cleaner with the M-05 chassis parts. ^_^

Reorganised the storage after selling off a few models, then decided to rough up a 2nd hand F350 body I bought which was made fairly easy as it’s had about 4 different colours on it over the years which helps with the ratty look when sanded & polished;

47037862434_02db268e44_b.jpg 47037862304_4de0d30689_b.jpg

Looks like its been red, then blue, then brown & finally black!

• Like 2

Ok, the bumper has now been painted instead of just the black plastic.  Much nicer I think.

9xsZlJz.jpg

• Like 5

I took the Dremel to a perfectly lovely (and expensive!) rear step-side body this afternoon!

i-dHJt83b-XL.jpg

i-b5JC8zP-XL.jpg

...to extend the rear aches to cover the dually rear wheels, and to incorporate a working folding tailgate!

Jx

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blista said:

Ok, the bumper has now been painted instead of just the black plastic.  Much nicer I think.

9xsZlJz.jpg

Looks far better. I painted mine white (to match the guards and roof) and it looks good because they dont blend into the chassis. The body set parts come with a black and a chrome version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blista said:

9xsZlJz.jpg

It looks really good in yellow!

• Thanks 1

Today was the M05 racing club day that I started at my son's elementary school.  The kids run stock M05 and the dads & moms run open M05.

Here're the kids racing.

05.11.2019-22.54.png

05.11.2019-22.56.png

And the "dads" line up.

05.11.2019-22.58.png

05.11.2019-23.00.png

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, berman said:

Looks far better. I painted mine white (to match the guards and roof) and it looks good because they dont blend into the chassis. The body set parts come with a black and a chrome version.

I remember seeing the photo of yours and wishing I'd thought to go with that paint scheme.  It looked great with the white and silver.  I debated buying the chrome bumper but I couldn't justify the $30 and I already had the acrylic paint.

15 minutes ago, Effigy3 said:

It looks really good in yellow!

Thanks!  Your build thread has been the inspiration for mine.  I've read through it more times than I care to admit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nellyle said:

Bit the bullet and went to Als Models in Milton Keynes to pick up a 2019 Arrma Outcast.

It's huge! That's a 1/10th buggy next to it in the picture. 

It's ridiculous on 6S!

20190511_185242.thumb.jpg.154d2d842a78226de972fdac1fdc41ac.jpg

I picked up a 2019 Kraton myself on Friday.  It is MASSIVE!!  Still figuring out batteries myself but can't wait to try it out!