Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Effigy3 said:

Today was the M05 racing club day that I started at my son's elementary school.  The kids run stock M05 and the dads & moms run open M05.

Here're the kids racing.

05.11.2019-22.54.png

05.11.2019-22.56.png

And the "dads" line up.

05.11.2019-22.58.png

05.11.2019-23.00.png

That looks great. Have you taped the track? Makes sense as it will save a lot of arms and hubs, although could mean some headons I guess.

Have you gone all out on your M05? TRF shocks? And they fit a square lipo - is the chassis designed to take them or you modified it to fit?

Put together my 2nd pair of Sand Scorcher front wheels, I’ll tyre letter them one evening next week.

Decided to give one of the no name brushless motors off ebay a go. This is the 3450kv 10.5 sensored. 

20190512_122451

Tabs solder nicely and it seems well made. Its 2/3 the price of my usual speed passion option which is certainly a plus point at just over 20 quid. Hooked it up to my 10bl120 ESC and its had a quick shakedown. Seems nice and strong, nice and smooth on take off. Some slight cogging crawling along at very light throttle openings, but for general hooning about it seems very nice. Hopefully it stays that way. Its also nice to have something less mental in the DT03 again. I have this so sorted now and its really fun to drive, but that mad 550 motor i had in it recently was just too much! This one is much more in keeping w th the car and much smoother to drive. 

Also switched this and the Conijcal Hornet to 2.4ghz radio now i have spare Rx. Feels a shame to be pulling perfectly functional 27 and 40mhz kit off them, but now i get the setup i like having just one handset. On the plus side, the EPA and dual rate adjustment i have startee playibg with have made the comical hornet considerqbly easier to drive and much less prone to rollling! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Also switched this and the Conijcal Hornet to 2.4ghz radio now i have spare Rx.

I read that as Conjugal Hornet. One way to improve relationships via the hobby I suppose... :)

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I read that as Conjugal Hornet. One way to improve relationships via the hobby I suppose... :)

Didn’t that win a prize at CES this year?

Painting my TRF503 bodyshell. God I hate masking windows when no window masking is included.

20190512_222830.jpg

• Like 1

Got some rc time in the back garden with the kids. Lots of fun, but some wear and tear to sort out.

Heavy Dump - for a truck that seemed to just sit there wiggling its wheels ( 2 year old still finds this more amusing than trying to make it go), it managed to shed a front shock spring somewhere. Stock pogos, so hopefully I have some spares around.

XV01T - 4 year old getting much better at controlling this. The crashes seem intentional now. Handily this decided to shed a damper in my hands as I picked it up to pack away. So the plastic spacer fell right in to my hands. Quick day of thread lock has hopefully sorted that this evening. Always impressed by how tough this truck is. 

Tomahawk - I sometimes wonder if I had to give all my cars away, this would be the one I’d keep. However what I’d don’t like is the shocks. Pretty much no rebound right now, I push hit the buggy down, it stays down. Inspected and topped up the front dampers this evening, and it’s not much better. The similar shocks on my Optima seem to be ok, so some figuring out to do...

( we did run a Konghead too, but that was dull and just worked flawlessly :lol: )

• Like 1

Rented a cabin this past weekend in the Catskills in NY and the side of the house ran a small stream that was perfect for rc trail trucks! 

40869892853_57572a5b5e_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

46918130855_8fbd266e18_b.jpgUntitled by 40867791293_36e465e09b_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickrwww.flickr.com/photos/97947619@N00/]Joe[/url], on Flickr

40867809543_554cbf3647_b.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

• Like 10

In honor of Mother's Day here in the US, I thought I'd give Mama Fratelli's ride a little exercise.

20190512_152546 20190512_152328 20190512_152304 20190512_152225

"You guys, I just saw the most amazing thing!!!"

For the curious: chassis is a Carisma SCA-1E Coyote, which was a terrible build, but runs pretty well. Body is just a Pro-Line Jeep Cherokee, with the appropriate details added. Someday it will get an interior, maybe even with Mama behind the wheel.

And after that, I will take it out to the coast, for some photos in front of the correct landmarks...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Stormy day painting.  

Another 6 drivers done.  But it was much harder this time. 

Maybe because I thought I got this down.  

JMKqLUY.jpg

• Like 4

Got my Tamiya Brat body mounted on my crawler chassis and took it for a spin on the makeshift workshop track today.

X2lYUfO.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, markbt73 said:

In honor of Mother's Day here in the US, I thought I'd give Mama Fratelli's ride a little exercise.

For the curious: chassis is a Carisma SCA-1E Coyote, which was a terrible build, but runs pretty well. Body is just a Pro-Line Jeep Cherokee, with the appropriate details added. Someday it will get an interior, maybe even with Mama behind the wheel.

And after that, I will take it out to the coast, for some photos in front of the correct landmarks...

Are you going  to drive to Astoria for the real landmarks from the movie? A pic holding it up in front of an Astoria sign would awesome too.

13 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

Are you going  to drive to Astoria for the real landmarks from the movie? A pic holding it up in front of an Astoria sign would awesome too.

The old courthouse in Astoria (which is where they filmed the jailbreak scene) is a museum dedicated to all things Goonies. The curator drives a replica of the Jeep from the movie, so I want to get photos of this one with the "big" one. And maybe a video of it peeling out away from the scene...

After that, I would need to go 2 hours south to Cannon Beach to get photos/video of the beach race scene. (They played a little loose with Oregon geography in the movie.)

• Like 3

I've been playing around with GPS for my TT02 speed run car; I'm not sure I'm happy with the options.  A SkyRC GPS speed meter showed up Saturday; it's not quite what I hoped for.  It charged ok, but the power button takes more force than the other buttons to turn it on or off.  The mode and recording buttons are better.  It seems like it always goes through a cold boot cycle every time the power is turned on; this means it will find a few initial satellites and report a position, but there is a lot of initial altitude and position drift which turns into momentary 5-10 mph readings when the unit is at rest.  This means the max speed is rarely zero for a few minutes.  It seems like it does acquire more satellites over time and the speed does stabilize at 0 mph, but it's just annoying that it has to go through this process each time.  I guess if I want to use it I should power it up immediately at the site and let it find satellites while I'm prepping the car.  The PC software used to configure the unit and download data is amateur at best and doesn't support Windows 10 without some hacking.

As a plan B option I downloaded the DigiHUD app for Android on a Samsung Galaxy J3 Orbit, a cheap phone used with prepaid carriers.  GPS acquisition time is better and the drift is much lower (maybe 1-3 mph readings initially at rest); I'm pretty certain the almanac data is kept between power cycles, too.  It also settles to 0 mph more quickly than the SkyRC unit.  The font size is bigger for speed and max speed readings.  I can download any number of GPS apps from the Google Play Store for free if this one doesn't work out.  The main downside to using a phone is its size; it will need a more robust way to secure it to the car in case of a crash.

A quick photo in direct sunlight...  Both displays are washed out to a certain extent.  The larger font size might make the phone easier to read in a video; maybe it won't be so washed out on an overcast day.  If I had to do it all over again, I think I would save the money and not buy the SkyRC unit.  Just grab an old phone and download an app.

IMG_3987.JPG

I also spent a little time on Google Maps trying to scout a decent location for a speed run attempt.  Most of the roads around here have elevation changes and curves.  There is possibly one road behind a local school that will work; it's about 1000 feet long and looks straight and flat.  There are a few streets with dead ends that might work too.  The local shopping mall might be an option at 7 AM before any stores open.  I'm still looking around.

• Like 3

today my motor didn't know its own strength (not really).20190513_163507.thumb.jpg.4910f12bfd101bee83bef40e4791f328.jpg

i guess threadlocker isn't a viable choice for that. oh well, time for replacements.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Awesome! 

"We just had a run in with these disgusting people, the Frattellis, maybe you've heard of them."

Goonies never say die!

Started to reassemble my Procat.

Didn't get very far as I found the layshaft pulleys were worn, where they meet the drive pins, giving them a lot of play.

On the lookout now for some replacements, can't do much without them.

• Like 1

Went battery shopping, hoping for a lipo that fits the old NiCd stick pack dimensions and less than 40C to meet vintage racing rules. I found one to fit the Boomerang but its too long for the F103. @TurnipJF what do you use in your F103? Just a norma shorty or is there a stick pack that will work? My old 1400mah NiCd fits but I really want something with better runtime (and that isn't 20+ years old)

Had a nice day yesterday unboxed my Sand Scorcher shell and took some photos of it in the garden. 

I just need to paint and fit the wipers and letter the 2nd set of tyres over the next week or so. 

Also found  a home with a TC member for a spare body set and put a couple of items on eBay. 

I enjoy using what I have and selling off what I no longer need.  

10 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Went battery shopping, hoping for a lipo that fits the old NiCd stick pack dimensions and less than 40C to meet vintage racing rules. I found one to fit the Boomerang but its too long for the F103. @TurnipJF what do you use in your F103? Just a norma shorty or is there a stick pack that will work?

This is the one I use:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-4000mahr-7-4v-30-60c-2s-lipo/rc-car-products/388538

• Like 1

Hotwheels restoration time.

This little number has sat on the outside kitchen window cill for over 5 years. And the other day i thought it was time to give it a fresh paint job so first strip. Them remove paint to bare metal with a wire brysh attachment on my dremmel like machine seeing as i only plan on doing one i aint waisting time on buying paint stripper.next into a base coat of black as i want yo try a pearl finish on it.

IMG_20190514_125736.jpg

IMG_20190514_140451.jpg

IMG_20190514_142217.jpg

• Like 4

Sunday me and my daughter had a little bash. Aired out my Hunaqi 739 which has been dormant for ages. An interesting mix of Kyosho ripoff, team C/ansmann RIP off and Team associated SC10 ripoff 😂🤣 drives like a beaut!

JPzrcjc.jpg

Then yesterday I took my HBX Bonzer out which mainly consists of tamiya parts now. I decided to try a "modest" 2700kv brushless motor but as the stock 19T pinion is press fit onto the stock motor, I had to borrow a 23t pinion from an HSP and woah, a few extra teeth go a long way on a chassis with wheels twice the diameter it was design for!! 2s felt like 3s!

I'm finally going to have to get around to shimming and putting oil in the shocks if I want to keep this setup, it asks a lot more of the chassis than the stock motor does even though that was a 560 size brute of a brushed motor.

0E30D3c.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 1:11 AM, Jonathon Gillham said:

That looks great. Have you taped the track? Makes sense as it will save a lot of arms and hubs, although could mean some headons I guess.

Have you gone all out on your M05? TRF shocks? And they fit a square lipo - is the chassis designed to take them or you modified it to fit?

Yeah, we used white duct tape to mark out the track.  Mainly because we share this space with other people.  They leave the tape alone but we can't have "proper" lane barriers either.  As you noted, the upside is far fewer breaks from barrier impacts and repairs but we do have the occasional "on-coming traffic" issue.  :O

I have an M-05 vII R so it comes with a fair amount of hop-ups including the TRF shocks.  I've added the aluminum steering bits and the aluminum motor cooling bars. I'm running a Tamiya GT Tuned motor so I think the cooling bars are mostly for looks.  ;)   Yeah, the vII chassis is designed to fit square batteries.

• Like 1