Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Did an ESC swap on the TYB's WW2 and then decided I should put in the replacement rear shock tower for his DT-03. It has been running on a bush fixed rear tower for 18 months, so though it was about time to replace it. I kept the repaired one just in case. 

Im kind of "over the moon" :)   

I stored a lot of rc stuff over with a good mate of mine , it was sitting there for ... 7 - 8 years at least.

Now, a while back i was kind of sorry already i lost my first models. ( a Kyosho pure ten, a Kyosho Blizzard )

And my first Tamiya , a Volvo FH12

Turns out.. i still have them ! :)

When digging down boxes , recovered a terrible stash of 1/14 truck parts , including a pile of bling hopup parts ( still have not sorted out much )

But mostly...

Found back not only my really-first-rc-car,  the Kyosho Pure ten.. but also ... the Blizzard !! ( whoo ) !

- wife gonne murder me when she finds to boxes later today ;p -

• Like 3

18 hours ago, hanzo said:

Nice! Perfect to my eyes.  Did you use a loupe?

Thank you, I used a paint pen off eBay, looks like a gel pen to me. 

C87F0BC4-99CA-4543-974F-C4580382F7D1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Having purchased some new super glue, I've finally been able to get on with rebuilding my Procat.

Front and rear diffs (from the XLS Pro transmission) built and transmissions mounted to the chassis so far.

• Like 1

Assembled & fitted 2 sets of 50520 C.V.A. short shocks to my Lunchbox this evening, 

• Like 1

Made a start on my holiday build 

2-B398-A3-A-BF4-C-4849-A68-F-256-B6-F94-

however there’ll be a little lull as I forgot the steering servo :mellow:

seems a little harsh to cannibalise the other buggies I brought with me, so I’ll have to investigate my options in Cornwall. 

However as I’m typing I realise that my Konghead has the real wheel steer servo in it, so its more like a kidney donation? :P

• Like 4

The ‘mog got a run today. Much better with rubber bands on the wheels to stop the tyres slipping. Salt water is not kind to the hardware & there’s a few screw pins that have rusted, not good especially on white nylon.

Mog

• Like 6

Another hour on the Procat rebuild tonight. Didn't get much done really. Assembled the rear driveshafts and mounted them along with the rear arms and hub carriers.

Fitted one wheel, then tried to fit the other and realised I'd left the nut out of the axle end of the driveshaft. So had to pull that side apart to pop the nut in. Put it back together, tried to fit the wheel - and failed.

Pulled it apart again and found the nut I'd fitted had a malformed thread. Swapped it out, testing the thread this time, and reassembled. Finally got the wheel on.

Looked at the front arm setup and realised I needed to order some 1/8" X 1/16" o-rings that space the lower arms. Jumped on eBay, found some, ordered 20 (need 4 but thought it prudent to have spares).

When I got the order confirmation I was stunned to see that I'd paid £21 for 20 little o-rings instead of the £2.64 I'd expected. Turned out I'd misunderstood the pricing. That'll teach me to check before hitting the confirm button.

Had to exchange a few messages with the seller but finally got the order cancelled and refunded.

Need to find an alternative source for the o-rings now.

• Like 1

today I test drive my new build cc-01 chassis for a half hour, I find the drivetrain a little noisy, I checked all the gears, and the mesh between the pinion and spur gear 2 times and tested the stock  tamiya pinion to, but that makes the same noise.

I had a cc-01 before and I can't remember it was that noisy, but that car ran a brushed motor.

I think its the sensored brushless motor that makes this sound at really low speeds, It makes cogging sounds and grinding sounds, its the first time I used the tamiya tble-02s esc and a sensored brushless motor, most of the times I use the hobbywing esc, so its the tamiya esc thats not so smooth or its the brushless motor.

For now I am going to drive it the way it is, it drives fine but its a little noisy, and after the half hour drive I checked all the gears and they where fine.

so the only thing to do is finish the body.

IMG_7162.JPG

IMG_7163.JPG

IMG_7164.JPG

• Like 5

On 5/27/2019 at 3:44 PM, J@mes said:

The ‘mog got a run today. Much better with rubber bands on the wheels to stop the tyres slipping. Salt water is not kind to the hardware & there’s a few screw pins that have rusted, not good especially on white nylon.

Mog

When I put the self tappers in I use a little bit of regular grease to help the screws go in. In your case, I wonder if it would prevent the oxide finish from wearing away to allow rust. A thin coat may help seal the hardware from the salt also... Maybe?

15 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

When I put the self tappers in I use a little bit of regular grease to help the screws go in. In your case, I wonder if it would prevent the oxide finish from wearing away to allow rust. A thin coat may help seal the hardware from the salt also... Maybe?

Good shout. I did wonder retrospectively if I’d greased them whether it would’ve still rust. I cut them down which hasn’t helped. Using a ‘hairdressers’ car such as this is as a beach runner I can’t really complain. Might have to invest in some stainless hardware, if I can find appropriate stuff.

Mog

Added a gratuitous action photo for the heck of it

• Like 1

Couple more hours on the Procat tonight.

After the near miss with expensive o-rings the other day I'd found some for a more sensible price. They turned up today so I was able to get the front end together.

Slight hindered by stupidly putting the lower arms on upside down and on the wrong sides!

Probably be shock building tomorrow!

• Like 2

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=2147723&share_tid=2&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tapatalk.com%2Fgroups%2Fcrispyandtherocketman%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2&share_type=t

Had these cat face decals in my stash since 2011 so I’m pretty happy how this looks so far. Usually paint the shell first but this time I figured it’d help line up the decals if I left it clear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr crispy said:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=2147723&share_tid=2&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tapatalk.com%2Fgroups%2Fcrispyandtherocketman%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2&share_type=t

Had these cat face decals in my stash since 2011 so I’m pretty happy how this looks so far. Usually paint the shell first but this time I figured it’d help line up the decals if I left it clear.

What colour will the shell be? Those decals look great. I do like the Bowler shell!

Not sure yet, thinking I might back the cat with white to standout. Main body I’m thinking red blue or yellow. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 1:23 PM, dannymulder said:

today I test drive my new build cc-01 chassis for a half hour, I find the drivetrain a little noisy, I checked all the gears, and the mesh between the pinion and spur gear 2 times and tested the stock  tamiya pinion to, but that makes the same noise.

I had a cc-01 before and I can't remember it was that noisy, but that car ran a brushed motor.

I think its the sensored brushless motor that makes this sound at really low speeds, It makes cogging sounds and grinding sounds, its the first time I used the tamiya tble-02s esc and a sensored brushless motor, most of the times I use the hobbywing esc, so its the tamiya esc thats not so smooth or its the brushless motor.

For now I am going to drive it the way it is, it drives fine but its a little noisy, and after the half hour drive I checked all the gears and they where fine.

Can you record a short video and post it so we can hear the noise?  The motor type will change the sound tone the car makes while driving, but it should never sound like "grinding".  Excessive noise can be caused by using the wrong pitch pinion gear, improper gear mesh, debris stuck in the drive train, and as I learned the hard way, the pinion grub screw interferes with the spur gear if you aren't careful.

Sensorless brushless motors are known for cogging at low speeds.  The poorer ones will cog sooner/worse than the better ones.  A sensored motor should eliminate the cogging effect.  That's the whole point of the sensor!  If you are in fact experiencing cogging with a sensored brushless it may be an el cheapo motor (the TBLE-02S ESC is quite smooth) or it may be a defective motor.

I would recommend NOT driving it with an obvious flaw in the drive train.

I did a very , very painfull job..

Pulled down 9 boxes ( type, big ) .. of parts and started sorting ,   ruthless .

Kept over 2 boxes of "really good stuff" ...    still, a bit.. painfull .. but half of the stuff i just did not know what it was anymore ( what car )

Or items i was quite certain never to use again.   And its just to much to "ebay it" and all list it .

Nothing lives forever :)

But, i was quite pleased finding some more cars and gear i forgot about .

A new Wild Willy 2000 , and a new tl-01 (?) with a porsche body..

..  and a new clod body.. new (super?) blackfoot body.. and some lexan's ..  * sweeeeeeet * ( porsche 934 i think it is .. and a bmw m3 .. )   ..  nom !

( and a bunch of truck stuff , might be able to build me a truck out of that ;p )

Oops. First test on brushless didn't go so well!

On the plus side the semi glued diff seems to work great.

zm338ih.jpg

• Haha 1

Rebuilt the shocks for my Procat and ordered some new ball sockets for the steering rods.

I probably should have taken pics to document the Procat rebuild as I went along, but I always forget. I did take a couple of "before" pics and will take some "after" ones as well.

Few bits of RC. Ordered parts for my upcoming DF01 restoration. Tried to fit some new rear tyres on the RR-03RA, but the hpi pirelli style tyres i got are awful. Really baggy fit and no grip at all. Ordered some schumacher rally tyres instead. 

Finally, MCI delivered the decals for the Boomerwig. Never knowingly boxart 😉

Tamita Boomerwig by CTE RC Tamita Boomerwig by CTE RC

• Like 4

I got closer to finishing my new built super Blackfoot with a brat shell mash up. Messed about with some spacers in the CVAs.

Took the fan off my Blackfoot ESC as it was pointless, noisy and drains the battery.

Ordered paint for a Blockhead Motors style Lunchbox paint job that’s imminent. 

• Like 1

Tried to diagnose a motor problem on TYB's WW2. After 3 motor swaps, I finally decided to check the ESC and yep..... no workies.

Replacement ESC ordered and WW2 put back on the wall.

I got my broken rere Sand Scorcher shell out of the wardrobe and my dremel.

I figured I had nothing to loose and I might learn some new skills.

Let’s just say I have a new found higher level of respect for all those that can skilfully use a dremel 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3