Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

360 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Been a bit busier on the rc front today.

ordered a Super Astute. Been admiring these for a while, and the sale at Modelsport pushed me over edge. Got some pearl white paint and a low profile servo to go with it.Spent some time digging through my motor and esc drawer to see what I have, and what stil works. Super Stock TZ or a 17.5t brushless seems likely candidates, not sure yet if I’ll cause too much trouble going hotter.

Continued priming a Blackfoot body. Planning to go white on this too, so trying to get some good coverage.

removed a smoke layer from the front and rear windscreens of my 934. Seems some dust decided to get in there, not sure if I’ll try again.

added the black stripe to a 911 GT2 shell. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the red stripes done too. :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swapped would would have been a lumpy old 4-pot diesel engine in my Hilux, for a honking great V8!

i-S4NCNbZ-XL.jpg

Jx

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paid for my Super Champ, really looking forward to this car it is coming from a TC member and one that I plan to keep long term.

Trimmed the rear wings on my nothing to loose SS shell, now thinking of removing the running boards and trimming the front leading of the rear wings too. 

Started to clean up the black plastics of my WW2 project and sold a spare decal sheet for a SS. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not Tamiya i know, but it's been an Arrma day today! 

After half an hour in rain and mud earlier, mt Outcast has had a deep clean, and a new body from the Notorious.

20190608_160808.thumb.jpg.caddcb73a9bced17bbebaed19ec7320b.jpg

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More paint and sanding today:

911 GT2 - body and stripes done, only a minor bleed so I’m happy. Rear wing to do next, hopefully I’ll get a decent colour match.

934 Black - sanded the rear wing as dust got to the first coat. Much better 2nd time round. Not done the two tone bit, I’m thinking I might quit while I’m ahead.

Super Astute - Pearl White, white, silver, white coats all done. Curing overnight then I’ll get to see how it really looks and sticker it. 

Blackfoot - priming done, and first half coat of white on. 

CC01 FJ Cruiser - took it out for a spin round the garden, it doesn’t get out much :lol: Still got to figure out a lwb centre skid plate, I don’t think I have the skills to alter the normal ones

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I sinned. I bashed my Slash 4x4..... BUT it's actually a Huanqi 727 so I basically got to drive a Traxxas without having given them any money so maybe the Tamiya gods will forgive me? 

Anyway, I beat the living snot out of it and it just kept coming back for more. Great truck! Combining the cheap truck with a cheapo 3900kv motor/esc combo was probably the most bang for buck I have gotten out of rc. Some of the video makes me cringe when I watch it back in slow motion, it amazes me how it hasn't broken.

2yILGtl.jpg?1

R0SLTUf.jpg?1

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished the Couger KC. Usual brilliant Schumacher quality, shame I can't say the same for my paint handy work! A few bleeds, but it'll make no difference once it's covered in mud and debris, oh well. Had to order a new Shorty as mine is currently sat in the BBQ with the lid down after I noticed it was swollen and bulging when I took it out of its lipo bag! 

DSC_0011

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not done anything Tamiya related in ages but with rain suspending summer activities I started to decal the Super Hot shot (as a Super Shot of course) did the driver, rear wing and shock tower. Just the main body to do. 

 

Boy oh boy does red and black on silver look good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made 7.5 cm³ :) of masking dots with a hole puncher for the new paint of my Blitzer Beetle. Probably I will need at least the same amount of dots in addition.GF4A8633EIkq7aMCxNiiUiKid16CFBm_gEy9gmW0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

Finished the Couger KC. Usual brilliant Schumacher quality, shame I can't say the same for my paint handy work! A few bleeds, but it'll make no difference once it's covered in mud and debris, oh well. Had to order a new Shorty as mine is currently sat in the BBQ with the lid down after I noticed it was swollen and bulging when I took it out of its lipo bag! 

DSC_0011

 

So tempted to order one of these, the Laydown has dropped the price and they'll soon be gone! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to start the stickers - gulp!

0449620-A-CE0-D-47-ED-8-DB7-DA2-C027-B41

 

Pleased with the way they’ve turned out so far. A little blemish on the rear wheel arch of the GT2, but I hope to get creative with that.

Astute body has come out a touch darker than I imagined, but I’m looking forward to seeing what it looks like in natural light. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nellyle said:

So tempted to order one of these, the Laydown has dropped the price and they'll soon be gone! 

Do it, its a great build, there's multiple motor positions in the box, needs no upgrades and is the usual Schumacher quality. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my rear motored DT-03 to see how the mid motor handles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

Finished the Couger KC. Usual brilliant Schumacher quality, shame I can't say the same for my paint handy work! A few bleeds, but it'll make no difference once it's covered in mud and debris, oh well.

DSC_0011

 

Missed out on these, went from a kf2 to a Laydown, but they do look real nice.

The front tyres might be a bit on the grippy side, the ,U6770 - Cut stagger low profile seem to offer the best grip for most surfaces.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few days late and a few dollars short...

Two weekends ago I posted about cleaning out my daughter's bedroom and erecting shelving for my wife's fabric and my RC stuff.  It was easy enough to get the long-term NIBs up on the shelves and out of the way.  This past weekend I spent the better part of a day cleaning up my work area and the room immediately next to it; some short-term NIBs, some projects in process, and several bins of parts, wheels/tires, electronics, and tools found their way onto the shelves as well.  It was really nice to de-clutter these two rooms and enjoy the feeling of more open space again.  Things had gotten out of hand and there were so many loose items in my work area and the adjacent room that I didn't even feel like working on RC cars anymore; now there's some room to spread out and make some progress again.  Maybe some of you can relate to the clutter/motivation conundrum?

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally finished the tailgate on Tamiya Marui Bullclod Big Bear.

c3x9DMo.jpg

 

It is quite a beast compared to an original... :lol:

22Ndncb.jpg

 

And the battery box modification is almost complete, so it can accept 3S hardcase Lipo too. ^_^

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered a TA06 with Toyota GT86 shell on closeout from hobbyking. If i do my 2wd touring car idea i need touring car suspension, wheels and a ta06 diff so this is prefect to rob for parts. If the 2wd doesn't work then i have a ta06! There's a local on road club that races on asphalt every week so i might give that a go. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Ordered a TA06 with Toyota GT86 shell on closeout from hobbyking. If i do my 2wd touring car idea i need touring car suspension, wheels and a ta06 diff so this is prefect to rob for parts. If the 2wd doesn't work then i have a ta06! There's a local on road club that races on asphalt every week so i might give that a go. 

Wouldn't the TA06 be the perfect 2WD touring car as it is currently set up?  The placement and direction of the battery makes it pretty good from a mass centralization / minimum roll inertia perspective.  The rear transmission is sealed and all gears, too.  You could almost build this chassis as-is and just leave the center belt, front belt, front diff, and front dog bones out of it.  The TA06 didn't get much love when it came out, but it could carry some corner speed and did well if someone worked with it.  This YouTube video made an impression on me; the TA06 starts out in pole position and just keeps growing its lead the whole time.  In particular, the way it handles that really tight turn in the middle of the track is impressive.

I think people gave up on the TA06 and turned them all into drift cars a little too quickly.  Much like the DF03 buggy chassis, the battery and motor are along the center of the chassis which makes weight transitions due to steering happen a little more quickly.  You don't need to move weight quite as quickly for braking and accelerating; weight transfer due to steering should dictate component placement in a chassis in my opinion.

I was thinking the other day that things are starting to get cyclical with touring car designs:

  • The TA07 is much like a Losi XXX-S with the single center belt.  Granted the chassis structure is different, but the drivetrain concept is very similar.
  • The TB EVO7 kind of looks like a throwback to the TB03VDS with the front motor mount option and central stiffening spine.  Again, a different chassis structure, but a similar drivetrain concept.
  • I randomly ran into a posting about someone making a central motor option for Xray T4 touring chassis; this is basically a throwback to the TA05 design (link).

Are we constrained by component "standards," e.g., 540 motor size, full and shorty hard case LiPo sizes, standard and low profile servo sizes, etc.?  What can you do if you start robbing components from airplanes, helicopters, and boats?

Sorry, just a bit of rambling / random musings...  I'm intrigued by the thought process each designer went through when he designed his own touring car.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today is came a step closer to restoring an avante 2001.

Still have to redo the tires, wait for the paint for the driver to come in, put in the sport tuned, put on the new, but original, shocks.. and create some shelf space 😎

FB9C591E-5FBD-4162-927F-47129049D845.jpeg

70AD78F4-C613-47E5-BBDC-5C8161813774.jpeg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

 Things had gotten out of hand and there were so many loose items in my work area and the adjacent room that I didn't even feel like working on RC cars anymore; now there's some room to spread out and make some progress again.  Maybe some of you can relate to the clutter/motivation conundrum?

 

Certainly can relate, I’ve had to move my hobby space 3 times. Which wasn’t a problem with 1 or 2 cars but now I’m up to 8 in the fleet the 2 foot by 3 foot table is feeling the strain. If the plan in my head ever materializes of finding a home for the ridiculously big dolls house I made for my daughter years ago ( I knew the size would come back & haunt me ), then a 2.5 metre bench at chair height across the window, then another one at standing height overlapping in the corner running along the perpendicular wall for quick jobs would be great so jobs in progress and routine quick jobs don’t end up mashed up in a big overwhelming mess would be great 👍🏻 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Wouldn't the TA06 be the perfect 2WD touring car as it is currently set up?  The placement and direction of the battery makes it pretty good from a mass centralization / minimum roll inertia perspective.  The rear transmission is sealed and all gears, too.  You could almost build this chassis as-is and just leave the center belt, front belt, front diff, and front dog bones out of it.  The TA06 didn't get much love when it came out, but it could carry some corner speed and did well if someone worked with it.  This YouTube video made an impression on me; the TA06 starts out in pole position and just keeps growing its lead the whole time.  In particular, the way it handles that really tight turn in the middle of the track is impressive.

I think people gave up on the TA06 and turned them all into drift cars a little too quickly.  Much like the DF03 buggy chassis, the battery and motor are along the center of the chassis which makes weight transitions due to steering happen a little more quickly.  You don't need to move weight quite as quickly for braking and accelerating; weight transfer due to steering should dictate component placement in a chassis in my opinion.

I was thinking the other day that things are starting to get cyclical with touring car designs:

  • The TA07 is much like a Losi XXX-S with the single center belt.  Granted the chassis structure is different, but the drivetrain concept is very similar.
  • The TB EVO7 kind of looks like a throwback to the TB03VDS with the front motor mount option and central stiffening spine.  Again, a different chassis structure, but a similar drivetrain concept.
  • I randomly ran into a posting about someone making a central motor option for Xray T4 touring chassis; this is basically a throwback to the TA05 design (link).

Are we constrained by component "standards," e.g., 540 motor size, full and shorty hard case LiPo sizes, standard and low profile servo sizes, etc.?  What can you do if you start robbing components from airplanes, helicopters, and boats?

Sorry, just a bit of rambling / random musings...  I'm intrigued by the thought process each designer went through when he designed his own touring car.

Its a very, very good point. I didn't know anything about the ta06 until looking at it for this project, and you are totally right. In fact if i had looked at this instead of the FF03 i might not have done any of my own transmissions for the buggies. There is a 3 gear standup with a shock mount built in right there. Given this came out in 2011 i can't for the life of me think why tamiya did that completely unique, expensive and heavy 4 gear standup for the TRF201XM when they had this right there in the range in reinforced plastic, ready to go. 

Anyway, back to 2WD touring cars, i might well just build this 2wd and see. It will certainly help to understand it before possibly converting it to my laydown transmission. I spotted a couple of your and @qatmixolder posts so i will be building it with regular upright front shocks. I want to run one of my shorties in it so i can play with weight distribution. I also have some hpi wide rear wheels on my shopping list along with some caster front c hubs. The club i am looking at runs Sweep tyres so i am wondering about getting some of the stickier low temperature versions for the rear and higher temp option for the front to balance the grip. The atock class is 17.5 brushless so i need to figure out how to around your issues with motor leads interfering with cross members too. 

I know what you mean about being hemmed in by standards. Someone on the other thread suggested twin 380 motors instead of a single 540 with mechanical transmission. Sounds interesting to me! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

today i finally got a e-mail from the sign writers i asked to do me a pair of stickers for the side of my reefer trailer nearly 2 months ago.

so i have given them the go ahead and hopefully i can collect them on friday and get the trailer finished off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The postman delivered my new MST-MTX 1 monstertruck RTR on friday, the first thing I did with it was inspect the whole car, I noticed that a lot of bolts were a little  loose on the chassis the esc and receiver box hanging loose and the shocks leak, so I took out the center transmission to inspect the pinion and gear mesh and found out that the spur gear bolt was loose and they did not use any threadlock on it.

So after that I found out that RTR means ready to rebuild, so in stead of driving it out of the box I decided to rebuild the car, so thats what I did.

so now that the car is in pieces I decided to upgrade the center gears to steel ones and steel center driveshafts, I am not going to use the cars esc and motor and servo I want more power and speed out of the car.

I think the stock electrics can't handle the speed I want, I am going to use that in a lighter car, I ordered a castle 1410 3800 sct kv motor for it, a have a caslte esc in the box, and a 25kg high torque servo for it.

Today I rebuild the front and rear axles and bolt them on to the chassis, and tighten all the bolts of the chassis and rebuild the shocks, the seals in the shock were not tight enough on the shafts but some el cheapo hobbyking o rings did the job.

Now I have to wait for the parts to arrive to finish the car, I am happy that I decedid to rebuild it a lot of parts had a little grease on it , and things that had to be treadlock where not.

So is it a bad car, no its not the plastics are from a really good quality and the fit and finish of the parts is really good, there is no slop in the whole car, maybe one of the best I have seen on a rc car. 

most of the tamiya kit have a lot of slop in it and I always have to use shims even on the more expensive models, with  this car I don't  have to do it.

They have used good quality bolts and nuts and good quality bearings, the only thing what is  wrong whit it like most of the rtr cars is just poor assemble.

IMG_7185.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

was with the kids in the mcdonalds a while ago and picked this up .... so I thought it is time for a new driver ....

IMG_20190610_193440.thumb.jpg.51461f71c6119075629db5bbcb87a491.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and the result. (I was once driving on a windy day at the beach and got the windows sandblasted for that.)

IMG_20190611_202554.thumb.jpg.eb0eae0be492a108f67a895401693a60.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

better taking a shot without. ( and I need new windows) :ph34r:

IMG_20190611_203227.thumb.jpg.2b8c976391093b67eccd12e40823fc56.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now