Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Decided to try out my new Gelly roll pens, bearing in mind these are original well worn 30+ yr old tyres I thought they still turned out quite well -

48579172911_78195afb6b_b.jpg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

@martinjpayne, this is what I grabbed: link

The price seems to have jumped up $25; not sure why.  It's the same machine from the same seller.

@speedy_w_beans is that the same one as the Banggood 3018 that was in the video you posted?  Banggood (suspiciously) have them 50% off right now...

Have you got the laser module too?

I take it that you are using it to cut not just engrave (and that should be fine given you're looking at 3mm sheets right?)?.

Do you know if it will do carbon fibre sheets?  I've had a look at the ads and it doesn't appear to, but then that may be classed as equivalent to soft aluminium maybe?  Or is it a case of getting a better laser/engraver head thing to do hard materials?

If it will do carbon then this will be a great toy

18 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

@speedy_w_beans is that the same one as the Banggood 3018 that was in the video you posted?  Banggood (suspiciously) have them 50% off right now...

I take it that you are using it to cut not just engrave (and that should be fine given you're looking at 3mm sheets right?)?.

Do you know if it will do carbon fibre sheets?  I've had a look at the ads and it doesn't appear to, but then that may be classed as equivalent to soft aluminium maybe?  Or is it a case of getting a better laser/engraver head thing to do hard materials?

you should be able to do thin aluminium, say up to 3 mm thick. The main issue you'll have is there is a lot of flex in these machines, so it'll be hard to get really clean cuts. But I did do a Sand Scorcher chassis on a very early version of a 3040 cnc machine years ago. I used 0.6 mm and 2 mm sheets. It won't be fast and you'll get a lot of chatter, so it will be very noisy.

For carbon fibre, the dust is pretty nasty, so at least vacuum it up while you are cutting.

I've since moved onto a 6040 base, and bought separate stepper motors, controller etc and wired it up myself. I still get a lot of flex so I have a 20mm steel plate I am going to use to firm up the base.

good luck with it!

this is what I cut the sand scorcher chassis plate on, see pic of it below.

Volvo-850-BTCC-Estate-build-38.jpg

Sand-Scorcher-Build08.jpg

• Like 9

Today the Samurai is finally finished. I only did light interventions on this one to keep each component as original as possible while getting it back to life again. Considering that, I think it turned out ok.

I love this buggy, technically and aesthetically. Building a NIB one must be a delightful experience.

Speaking of which, there is one available right these days on ebay, but man the price...:ph34r:

Screenshot_20190819-184542_Gallery-960x540.jpg.895efd5129dd9dbe374982c4b1b59bc6.jpg20190818_144706-2016x1134.thumb.jpg.256ebf65753c1c950c5eb57f128f28a4.jpg20190818_154321-1134x2016.thumb.jpg.6fa40205f03f3a1faea9ceebbd36aed4.jpg20190818_145226-2016x1134.thumb.jpg.8b6ca232488e26d9131c0909e2191ef2.jpg20190818_145008-1134x2016.thumb.jpg.5e4080c4507096cc94e209ebce36daf4.jpg

• Like 11

Some nice me time today enjoying the tail end of the Aussie winter so you can quite happily stand outside without getting burnt to a crisp and being inspired by @MockTurtle's recent Lunchbox shenanigans.....

A spur of the moment decision to try the Scorcher for the first time on Lipo as my NiMH batteries are frazzled. 

5CUOmJll.jpg

All was going great on the 4WD track down to the beach,

pyDZ35Sl.jpg

Then we got to this :mellow:

Y6gBfEgl.jpg

So with no permit we headed back to the Van as the Silver can SRB was finding its limits on the deep soft sand anyway, then swapped the battery into the Stadium Blitzer.

93cdBIal.jpg

The Blitzer was more reckless and carefree towards the lack of Permit issue :D while devouring the soft sand with ease.

tbmG9rUl.jpg

sCZdCLOl.jpg

iFsAGKCl.jpg

There could be worse ways to spend a Tuesday.

• Like 15

Woke to find the cat had been sick on the box for my SW-01 lunchbox. Urrgghh ruined :( BOTHER THAT CAT! 

48582409392_536d3569d7_b.jpg

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, J@mes said:

Woke to find the cat had been sick on the box for my SW-01 lunchbox. Urrgghh ruined :( BOTHER THAT CAT! 

48582409392_536d3569d7_b.jpg

i know how you feel as my little bundle of fur deceided to upchuck all over the bed yesterday

• Like 1

Trialled equal length front and rear suspension to complete the whole monster buggy thing I've got going on with this TT02B. These ZD Racing '105mm' (95mm hole to hole) shocks are awesome for $25AUD per set of 4. Still needs work as the mounting points for the upper suspension arms are slightly higher in the front due to the kickup, so using a rear tower messes up the front end geometry. Another carbon rear tower re-drilled to suit the front should sort that :)
vNNjcNf.jpg

Ux8APJX.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nbTMM said:

Trialled equal length front and rear suspension to complete the whole monster buggy thing I've got going on with this TT02B. These ZD Racing '105mm' (95mm hole to hole) shocks are awesome for $25AUD per set of 4. Still needs work as the mounting points for the upper suspension arms are slightly higher in the front due to the kickup, so using a rear tower messes up the front end geometry. Another carbon rear tower re-drilled to suit the front should sort that :)
vNNjcNf.jpg

Ux8APJX.jpg

How’s the internals coping with those wheels? Did you upgrade them?

On Monday I was given till Wednesday evening to clear out my workspace so all my projects have come home for now. My Tamiya corner:

8AngIvO.jpg

There's a lot more to relocate but at least my RC stuff is in the warm and dry. Fingers crossed my rabbit doesn't get the taste for vintage kit boxes and old plastic! 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, zomboided said:

@nowinaminute, I printed this out as one of the first things I did when I got a 3D printer.  I used PLA and maybe 30% infill, which didn't help, but it broke when i dropped my Mad Bull 3ft onto the floor onto all 4 wheels, right across the suspension links on the tower.  My layers were vertical, not horizontal like yours which didn't help, but I did think that if I did this again I'd use a bolt from the other side and use a screw on ball (and I'd redesign the model to add a bit more meat around them).

For the time that it did work, it did seem like a great mod though :-)

That's just the sample image from thingiverse, mine are going to be vertical too I think.

I think the infill makes a big difference. The first few bits I tried were only 30% and they shattered with alarming ease. The same parts printed at 100% were way stronger even though the actual design of the parts wasn't all that great and not suitable for 3d printing with all the harsh right angles etc.

I also quickly learned that ABS was a little more flexible than PLA. PET and PETG more so again.

Hopefully it will ok ok but time will tell.

I really need to try and learn a basic grasp of 3d modelling so I can work on stuff myself but so far, all I've achieved is to feel really stupid. People keep saying it's really easy And you just need a few measurements etc but I suck at it!

4 hours ago, topforcein said:

i know how you feel as my little bundle of fur deceided to upchuck all over the bed yesterday

My cat is like that plus she has some mystery sinus issue the vets can't seem to diagnose which means she does rapid fire sneezing fits, usually in the vicinity of one of my RCs or my face.

Hard to stay mad when she's snuggling her head under my chin though. The little....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hobgoblin said:

On Monday I was given till Wednesday evening to clear out my workspace so all my projects have come home for now. My Tamiya corner:

There's a lot more to relocate but at least my RC stuff is in the warm and dry. Fingers crossed my rabbit doesn't get the taste for vintage kit boxes and old plastic! 

argh, its only a rabbit! but if it gets too vicious, you might need The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! 'Tis one of the sacred relics Brother Maynard carries with him!

Yeah, I have a weird sense of humour, hopefully you get the reference :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nbTMM said:

vNNjcNf.jpg

Ux8APJX.jpg

I'm using the same shocks for my CC01. They're great considering the cheap price. Got mine for US$10 a pair including shipping. 

On 8/19/2019 at 7:36 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

@Jonathon Gillham, not quite the same, but similar in idea.  The machine in the video had Philips screws, 3D printed plastics, two-piece work table, fewer right angle brackets, and maybe some other details I'm not remembering.  I just grabbed the machine I did because I liked the idea of injection-molded plastics instead of 3D printed plastics for structural parts.  As it turned out, I got lucky and also received cap head hex hardware and a one-piece table.  So I would look at whatever vendor's ad carefully and confirm the small details.

No, I did not get a laser module.  I don't trust myself to not lose an eye (or both!).  That, plus some materials emit toxic fumes that are harmful to your health and can damage the machine.  It seems like a dedicated laser cutter with water-cooled laser, air nozzle to blow dust away from the cut, high-capacity exhaust fan to remove fumes and material, and an enclosure designed to contain the laser radiation is a much smarter idea than just dropping a laser module into an exposed chassis with no other support systems in place.  Lasers scare me a bit; I won't go there without the right safety interlocks.

Right, the goal is to cut 2-3 mm sheet material like FRP/GRP/CF, and maybe mill some moderate 10-15 mm thick material to make positive part images, which then become masters for silicone molds.  Those molds will be used with poured resins to make detailed plastic parts.  Here's a good article that inspired me.

I expect it will do carbon fiber with the right bit, as they claim it will do lots of plastics, printed circuit boards, wood, etc.  No idea how well it will do it, and what sort of speed/feed requirements there are.  There will be some trial and error here to sort through.

Don't expect this to do hard materials like steel or hard aluminum alloys.  It seems adequate for the soft, planar stuff, but not good enough for hard materials.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

How’s the internals coping with those wheels? Did you upgrade them?

I already had it running on 5100kv 3S with the stock wheels and the rear diff pinion gear stripped out so I upgraded it with GPM steel gears. With these wheels I got the odd click from the front diff so I upgraded that one to GPM gears as well and haven't heard any bad noises since. Drive shafts are Yeah Racing universals, which I've had one snap already but I think that was my fault for not thread locking the pin properly, so it backed out and jammed up the universal joint. Also running an Eagle Racing alu propshaft which comes with steel prop joints since day one - not sure that is entirely necessary though.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 6:24 PM, nowinaminute said:

Today I ordered a 3d print of that DT01 double wishbone front suspension design that's on thingiverse to try out with my Fighter Buggy/Mad Bull hybrid.

This is one of the photos from the thingiverse page:

132d9918077b2ca97b7a6ebb5fde2707_preview_featured.jpg.91ead514fe712e60065795c75539e957.jpg

I'm not sure how strong it will be but I like how the design integrates so well without any major alterations needed. I think I'll be using m3 links vs the suggested m2 though! I might cut some aluminium to fit against the shock tower part to brace it too, especially those mounts for the upper links dangling down!

I've ordered it in PETG with 100% infill.

I've been getting on ok with parts printed in 100% PET or ABS. Not indestructible but they seem to hold up pretty well depending on the design. I bash moderately hard but usually more on dirt and sand vs concrete and tarmac which I think helps matters.

I'll let you know how It goes but for the price it cost, it's a cheap experiment!

Well, they turned up today.

1QjCmTg.jpg

They look to be pretty good for the most part considering they were quite inexpensive. Unfortunately, I didn't realise the seller only had transparent PET so the yellow parts in particular look a bit "day glo"

s5VSmNx.jpg

One peice did raise some concerns though, one of the uprights certainly doesn't seem to be 100% infill to me....

DXqigiH.jpg

I know they are made with transparent PET so you're naturally going to see some internal structure but that sure looks like the honeycomb pattern you get with lower infill. The weird thing is it's the only part like it, the rest are definitely solid or at least high enough that I can't see any voids.

I'm not sure what to do/say through. While I did pay extra for 100% infill, I forgot to order 4x uprights when I duplicated the other parts and the seller printed the extra 2 at no additional charge so I'd feel a bit cheeky complaining because assuming everything else is 100, I do have what I paid for because 2 of the uprights were free. 🤔

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 11:49 PM, Grotty Otty said:

@Ferruz that Samuri looks awesome, cool as. 

x3. That's gorgeous! Well done Ferruz!

On 8/20/2019 at 7:58 PM, nowinaminute said:

That's just the sample image from thingiverse, mine are going to be vertical too I think.

I think the infill makes a big difference. The first few bits I tried were only 30% and they shattered with alarming ease. The same parts printed at 100% were way stronger even though the actual design of the parts wasn't all that great and not suitable for 3d printing with all the harsh right angles etc.

I also quickly learned that ABS was a little more flexible than PLA. PET and PETG more so again.

Hopefully it will ok ok but time will tell.

I really need to try and learn a basic grasp of 3d modelling so I can work on stuff myself but so far, all I've achieved is to feel really stupid. People keep saying it's really easy And you just need a few measurements etc but I suck at it!

It’s all a massive journey of discovery....I’m trying to get reasonable results with clear PETG at the moment and learning when to use support, but it still amazes me when I make something out of “nothing” and it fits!

Modelling wise, for simple stuff I use openscad because it relates to my nerdy skill set. There’s a new pc in my future for something more complicated tho :-)

Bad luck on the parts....I’d say it was time to get your own printer and start on that journey of occasional frustration 

I got a call from the local man i have been buying from recently saying that he had been back to his storage unit and pulled some more stuff out. He asked if i was still interested in old rc cars..... erm :rolleyes:

In the first picture, the Ralt, Lotus 79 and Ferrari 312t have been run, the others are mint unused...

In the second picture, the srb chassis with no body is an early twin rear bearing type....

Tthe rest are what he discribed as just a load of bits in bags...

Apparently, he still has a lot more, including NIB kits.... He is my new best friend...^_^

DSC_5355.JPG

DSC_5356.JPG

DSC_5357.JPG

• Like 9

@junkmunki wow, what a find. They all look as if they've been assembled with some real care too that McLaren Mp4/5 looks mint. Never seen the 1/10 Countach as a body shell before either. Do share the NIB that are dug out of the Aladdins cave! 

20 minutes ago, Grotty Otty said:

@junkmunki wow, what a find. They all look as if they've been assembled with some real care too that McLaren Mp4/5 looks mint. Never seen the 1/10 Countach as a body shell before either. Do share the NIB that are dug out of the Aladdins cave! 

I think the Countach shell was a show special edition like the Toyota shell, i may be wrong, but i have also seen the same set with a white shell. The McLaren is mint, everything just has a layer of dust on it..... 

I am just being patient now until he decides it's time to sell  the rest.....

• Like 1