Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I took the Mad Bull Fighter out for a good trash with the new 3d printed parts.

After about an hour of bouncing it all over the place I was just thinking to myself how well the parts were holding up when it went into a massive cartwheel and:

RRKvfKA.jpg?1

Whoops!

To be fair, it took quite a beating but at the end of the day, I just don't think the design was optimal enough. Especially not for inexpensive printing. If you look at this pic, you can see just how little meat there was holding this part on.

ZyJ2PIc.jpg

It's a shame because there was ample room there for gussets or more material etc The print quality seems pretty good though, the layer bonding was great and it just looked like one solid piece where it split.

I have another set of parts but I think I'll save them for the beach, they are plenty tough for that.

I can make excuses for it such as the terrain being the site of a former coal washery so there's tons of rocks and bricks and god knows what lurking in the undergrowth but at the end of the day, looking at that failure point just makes me think hmmmmmmmmmm

Back to stock arms for now. One day I hope to become competent enough at 3d software to come up with something myself. Until then, @Vrooom666's method using DT03 arms is looking pretty good and also would give it a lot in common with my Lunchbox which also has DT03 arms and uprights.

On 1/19/2018 at 4:10 PM, Vrooom666 said:

Hi,  i did this conversion with DT-02/03 arms and upright,   with M05 rear mount stay and i used 70mm i think rod and cut the ball end to sit in chassis without any slop. and I used ball stud on m05 stays for upper arms to mount on.     the chassis holes lines up to this m05 stay so no cutting or drilling or anything.  It is sitting atop of shock tower. it is perfect at handling.   

IMG_20180101_122912.jpg

IMG_20180101_123054.jpg

• Like 1

Mostly this week I have been missing out on things on eBay.

Missed out on two Terra Scorchers as well as some other odds and ends :mellow:

• Sad 1

48625636428_e781109b0b_b.jpg

Now I’ve finished the Mini my LB needs some attention. So I replaced the tx i’d pinched for the Clod & put a new sensor wire on. Cheap online at £10 for 10 of these wires - a lot better than £4 each for Tamiya ones, which I’ve had a few of! Tried routing the aerial & sensor wires better

48625822153_79dfc444ff_b.jpg

• Like 5

Made some progress on my M-08. Silvia body didn’t come out too well, a little thin in places with the translucent red. 

M-08 build is nice so far, the smaller scale is so cute!

6B80109A-BA93-4491-992C-887B6E196930.jpg

• Like 5

I spent the weekend admiring my restored SWB WW, amazing attention to detail and finish. 

I can’t thank you enough @jonboy1

I’ll post pictures soon 👍

• Like 1

while testing new shocks on the king blackfoot :-(

frhMgY4.jpg?1

aaaand this part seems to be out of production. i'm thinking replacing the front arms & knuckles with the blitzer beetle parts rather (they seem to fit). otherwise i guess i could draw it up and 3d print. aaargh.

51 minutes ago, MockTurtle said:

frhMgY4.jpg?1

aaaand this part seems to be out of production. i'm thinking replacing the front arms & knuckles with the blitzer beetle parts rather (they seem to fit). otherwise i guess i could draw it up and 3d print. aaargh.

Same part was used on bush Devil & super blackfoot.

Option 3: buy a wreck and salvage for parts? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323894373688

I know postage would be awful but there’s a load of spares too :) 

1 hour ago, J@mes said:

Same part was used on bush Devil & super blackfoot.

Option 3: buy a wreck and salvage for parts? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323894373688

I know postage would be awful but there’s a load of spares too :) 

well on top of shipping costs i'll get nailed with clearance fees and additional vat. for second hand goods we need to get an additional permit.  anyways seller refuses ships to africa it seems :lol: its a mission of note.

but thanks for the suggestion. really.

if i was in uk i'd be on that in a heartbeat. its a long shot but i'll try source locally. just royally annoyed as i was just done with the chassis and was about to start with the body. i don't really do shelf queens but times like these i kinda understand...

3 hours ago, MockTurtle said:

frhMgY4.jpg?1

Ahh such a shame.

Looks like you lost the plastic lottery. Sometimes it seems to age ok but other times not so much. 

I don't know about anyone else but it always seems to happen in the vicinity of screws for me. I've even had brand new sealed parts that are vintage and came pre-assembled and they have broken around the screws.

It's a shame the King Blackfoot front end is so unique and so rare. I'd love to put a King front end on my Re-re mk1 blackfoot.

On 8/26/2019 at 7:42 PM, WallyWombat said:

posted a WAY too long video on YouTube of my Fast Attack Vehicle getting smashed

Whats under the" hood" looks like a silvercan?

9 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Ahh such a shame.

Looks like you lost the plastic lottery. Sometimes it seems to age ok but other times not so much. 

I don't know about anyone else but it always seems to happen in the vicinity of screws for me. I've even had brand new sealed parts that are vintage and came pre-assembled and they have broken around the screws.

It's a shame the King Blackfoot front end is so unique and so rare. I'd love to put a King front end on my Re-re mk1 blackfoot.

wow didn't realise that front setup was that special. i thought it was horrible actually. first the bump steer, and the arms being shorter compared to the front means it doesn't articulate all that well. but perhaps that's the charm.

i see you're also having adventures with 3d printed parts. :) ...I actually drew up and 3d printed the rear shock towers (the original ones were broken when it arrived). also printed new knuckles and central steering servo mount (to improve steering play and mitigate bump steer). everything was going great until this afternoon. parts were printed in PETG and seem to be holding up well. just got a roll of taulman 910 nylon which i'll  try out for next time.

*sigh* plastic lottery indeed! maybe i screwed in too tight. didn't bash into anything? its back to the drawing board for me.

45 minutes ago, MockTurtle said:

wow didn't realise that front setup was that special. i thought it was horrible actually. first the bump steer, and the arms being shorter compared to the front means it doesn't articulate all that well. but perhaps that's the charm.

In the scheme of things, it's not that great. But compared to the OG Blackfoot it's pretty good. Nothing short of putting a brick on the hood will make that front end work! The rear trailing arms work pretty nicely though. That's why I wanted to swap the front end out. It still wouldn't be perfect but a little better at least. I've watched a lot of slow motion video of my BF1 and I don't recall seeing the front arms ever move outside of landing jumps!

52 minutes ago, MockTurtle said:

parts were printed in PETG and seem to be holding up well.

I honestly think it's pretty good material. I think the design of the part was what let me down really. I have a lot of stuff in 100% ABS that has been bomb proof too but it hinges on the design a lot I guess. But even before I fitted the parts it stood out as the weak area.

I can't design for toffee so I'm always grateful that people put their stuff up on thingiverse but I just feel like a lot of them aren't thinking about how to try and give the parts the best chance of holding up in actual use.

12 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

I honestly think it's pretty good material. I think the design of the part was what let me down really. I have a lot of stuff in 100% ABS that has been bomb proof too but it hinges on the design a lot I guess. But even before I fitted the parts it stood out as the weak area.

I can't design for toffee so I'm always grateful that people put their stuff up on thingiverse but I just feel like a lot of them aren't thinking about how to try and give the parts the best chance of holding up in actual use.

hehe i kind of know what you mean. recently i remixed a lunchbox suspension arm i found on there as it kept on breaking.

i'm no mech engineer or expert either, but you should try fusion 360. its free and there are loads of tutorials on youtube. am still learning, but yeah getting back into rc's, 3d printing has been a game changer.

3 hours ago, MockTurtle said:

well on top of shipping costs i'll get nailed with clearance fees and additional vat. for second hand goods we need to get an additional permit.  anyways seller refuses ships to africa it seems :lol: its a mission of note.

but thanks for the suggestion. really.

if i was in uk i'd be on that in a heartbeat. its a long shot but i'll try source locally. just royally annoyed as i was just done with the chassis and was about to start with the body. i don't really do shelf queens but times like these i kinda understand...

Something (a bit funky lookin) on Shapeways, if they can deliver? https://www.shapeways.com/product/A4DD7DUU6/super-blackfoot-uprights?optionId=102047301&li=marketplace

• Like 1

I spent the weekend admiring my restored SWB WW, amazing attention to detail and finish. 

I can’t thank you enough @jonboy1 it is superb 💥

Will post some pictures at the weekend 😊

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 7:05 PM, Peter_B said:

Mostly this week I have been missing out on things on eBay.

Missed out on two Terra Scorchers as well as some other odds and ends :mellow:

maybe if you hadn't been so greedy and just tried to buy 1 Terra Scorcher you would have been more successful?! :P

21 hours ago, MockTurtle said:

frhMgY4.jpg?1

If you want some help with the 3D modelling of a replacement part let me know - I've got a store on Shapeways so I can model something up and put it on there for you to purchase.

6 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I can’t thank you enough @jonboy1 it is superb 💥

Will post some pictures at the weekend 😊

You're quite welcome @Grumpy pants B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

maybe if you hadn't been so greedy and just tried to buy 1 Terra Scorcher you would have been more successful?! :P

It was only one at a time, and several days apart :P

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

It was only one at a time, and several days apart :P

So say you - but where's the proof eh?! Sounds like a convenient cover story if you ask me! <_<

7 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

If you want some help with the 3D modelling of a replacement part let me know - I've got a store on Shapeways so I can model something up and put it on there for you to purchase.

all good mate, thanks for the offer, but i think i'm sorted ;). and so this is what i did today:

t1UBLlp.jpg

now let's see if it holds up ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MockTurtle said:

all good mate, thanks for the offer, but i think i'm sorted ;). and so this is what i did today:

t1UBLlp.jpg

now let's see if it holds up ;)

Awesome! Good luck!

On 8/23/2019 at 5:30 AM, yogi-bear said:

cheers, I'm not opposed to the selling idea, but I think I might improve the design a little. Plus I might have to flat pack them to reduce postage costs out of Australia. I also have two other ideas for laser cutting that might be of interest. It'll be a couple of days before I can test them though.

Luckily I live in Australia 😁👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1