Sign in to follow this  
Jedi Master

Proffessional Bodyshell Painter Needed!

Hi fellow TC members,

Need your help and advice please.

I have just secured the sale (yes, on ebay) of a brand new, and original, bodyshell for the Porsche 959. It even comes with the original Rothmans decals. Havin never painted one myself I am too scared to use this as my first go. :D Can anyone help me with info of who could do this for me and produce the best possible finish?

It also has the original driver to install, but am still waiting to find out if it has the lights too.

I am based 2mins from junction 11 of the M6 so the nearer the better.

Thanks,

Jedi. :lol:

I watched the auction run it's course and think you got a bargain there, especially as it included the car with another body if it's the one I was watching.

I can understand your nerves, but getting a good finish is easier with lexan as the shine will be there automatically. What is hard is any mistakes are almost impossible to rectify if using Lexan spray paint (which I recomend) Masking and patience are the key to a good finish, and everything will need to be as box stock and perfect or I wouldn't bother and leave the shell in the box, it will only appreciate that way.

You work in reverse so what you would paint last on a plastic shell is done first on lexan so all the detail needs to be done first, window rubbers, grills and vents etc.

Can someone back up the use of Tamiya masking tape on lexan shells? I used it mask my 1/24 static collection with awesome results, no other tape is better.

TAKE YOUR time and mask EVERYTHING at all times to stop accidental over spray. You are working on a 200 shell here, you will not get another chance! But you knew that already!

Apply the decals on a wet body to allow movement and then squeeze the water out with a credit card when in place, using a hairdryer to mold to any curves.

I agree, don't do it yourself but it's worth learning as it is the fun part of the hobby. I can offer my services but it would make me cry to give it back to you as I want the same for my own 959 project! :D

I can only give you this advice, if you are afraid to make a bad job, and not want to do it yourself..

Get in touch with Monty here on TC. He does GREAT paintjobs, which i am sure others will agree with me on..

Cheers..

Michael

I can only give you this advice, if you are afraid to make a bad job, and not want to do it yourself..

Get in touch with Monty here on TC. He does GREAT paintjobs, which i am sure others will agree with me on..

Cheers..

Michael

Thanks, Have contacted 'Monty' and he's going to do a repro shell for me. It seems this bodyshell is super fragile so I'm goint to leave it on the shelf untill I can find someone who is comfortable with it or I dare to have a go myself! Yikes!!!

If ther's anyone out there who is comfortable (and capable) of giving this a pro finish, I'm still looking.

Thanks, Have contacted 'Monty' and he's going to do a repro shell for me. It seems this bodyshell is super fragile so I'm goint to leave it on the shelf untill I can find someone who is comfortable with it or I dare to have a go myself! Yikes!!!

If ther's anyone out there who is comfortable (and capable) of giving this a pro finish, I'm still looking.

I would be tempted to leave it unpainted. It is VERY valuable that way and you may want to sell the Porsche one day and adding that shell unpainted will increase the price some 150+

If you get a good repro shell display it with that or redo the other shell? (I presume you have one?)

I would be tempted to leave it unpainted. It is VERY valuable that way and you may want to sell the Porsche one day and adding that shell unpainted will increase the price some 150+

If you get a good repro shell display it with that or redo the other shell? (I presume you have one?)

Danuk, you're making my head twist now. I know its got some value to it, but if it never gets painted or displayed, then it only serves as an investment (yes, i know its a good one) I guess I'm looking for that buzz of seeing a mint condition original shelf queen, on my shelf. A friend of mine had a new one of these when we were kids and I was insanely jealous of him. When I saw it come up on the bay the red mist came down, you know....I WANT IT, I WANT IT, MUST HAVE IT, MUST HAVE IT, LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!! I'LL KILL FOR IT!!!!! AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Sorry, haven't taken my meds yet this morning. :o

My 959 was new built with an unpainted shell. It was the first detailed shell I had ever done so I took my time, masked carefully and painted by hand with paint pots and brush (not spray) as I didn't want to get a bad finish or accidental overspray. I also used the Rothmas decals and it came out really nice. I say be careful and have a go yourself.

My car is here : http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...9407&id=380

Danuk, you're making my head twist now. I know its got some value to it, but if it never gets painted or displayed, then it only serves as an investment (yes, i know its a good one) I guess I'm looking for that buzz of seeing a mint condition original shelf queen, on my shelf. A friend of mine had a new one of these when we were kids and I was insanely jealous of him. When I saw it come up on the bay the red mist came down, you know....I WANT IT, I WANT IT, MUST HAVE IT, MUST HAVE IT, LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!! I'LL KILL FOR IT!!!!! AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Sorry, haven't taken my meds yet this morning. :(

Hey, this I know! If I bought a NIB kit I would build it. But I wouldn't ADVISE someone to the build it! Heart ruling head and all that and that's the difference!

You get that body painted, it's what the hobby is all about! If you wanted to invest you would have bought shares or something!

I'm still jealous though! This is my 959. Still needs a bit of work to be a shelf queen!

smallimg1019so7.jpg

Hey, this I know! If I bought a NIB kit I would build it. But I wouldn't ADVISE someone to the build it! Heart ruling head and all that and that's the difference!

You get that body painted, it's what the hobby is all about! If you wanted to invest you would have bought shares or something!

I'm still jealous though! This is my 959. Still needs a bit of work to be a shelf queen!

smallimg1019so7.jpg

You're right, its gonna get painted. I've emailed Jon Miller with a special request (See reply to previous advice) I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to stick to box art. :o (I know that comment is gonna get some stick). I've asked Jon to look at producing something that depicts the box art but in a more artistic way, to include the rothmans decals. The way I see it, if I'm gonna have it painted its gonna be a completely unique shell, with plenty of 'wow' factor. B)

To all the 'purists' out there, please forgive me! :D

My 959 was new built with an unpainted shell. It was the first detailed shell I had ever done so I took my time, masked carefully and painted by hand with paint pots and brush (not spray) as I didn't want to get a bad finish or accidental overspray. I also used the Rothmas decals and it came out really nice. I say be careful and have a go yourself.

959 is very easy to paint using brush & Tamiya PC blue & white.

Easier still if you put on the gold stickers first! then just make the break anywhere inside the gold line.

If you're ace, you can handpaint the black window frames too.

Orange & red for indicators.