Sign in to follow this  
Corpse Thrower

Sand Tyres Unlimited

Gutted!! For a split second there, you got my hopes up. B) I'm looking for some paddle tires for my SRB's but can't find them anywhere.

Anyone else know where they can be sourced from?? :D

I have a pair from a Re Re grasshopper I'm not using, if you're interested?

I have a pair from a Re Re grasshopper I'm not using, if you're interested?

Can you sent me some pics? I'm looking for the oversize type, like the one's that Baja 5b's use? But obviously small enough to fit SRB wheels.

Can you sent me some pics? I'm looking for the oversize type, like the one's that Baja 5b's use? But obviously small enough to fit SRB wheels.

I've none to hand, but I'll take a few tonight. I have the Grasshopper wheel parts as well if you want?

Gutted!! For a split second there, you got my hopes up. B) I'm looking for some paddle tires for my SRB's but can't find them anywhere.

I mite have something lying around...

Let me get back to ya'

Badboy

Gutted!! For a split second there, you got my hopes up. :o I'm looking for some paddle tires for my SRB's but can't find them anywhere.

Have just found some, made by Pro-line (http://www.pro-lineracing.com/proline.html) but they fit a 2.2 wheel. Anyone know how to get a 2.2 wheel to fit the SRB's? B)

I've none to hand, but I'll take a few tonight. I have the Grasshopper wheel parts as well if you want?

Possibly. Send me the pics and I'll have a look. Thanks. :D

dsc00456wp4.th.jpgdsc00457hd0.th.jpgdsc00458ew3.th.jpgdsc00459jj0.th.jpg

Forgot about the wheels, they're brand new, still on their trees.

Thanks Dude, but I wanted something more like the Pro-line sand claw. :rolleyes:

It is doable but you will need wheel adapters to fit a modern truck rear wheel. I used Traxxas Rustler rears with custom alloy hexes but I would suggest HPI wheels as they come with an SRB to hex adapter. Bear in mind however that the rears will be pretty big.....

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...7159&sid=79

Mr Pushrod, you're a star! That info is music to my ears. So, if I buy HPI 2.2 wheels they'll automatically come with the adaptors for my SS?

Hehe....excellent!! :lol:

Padla trak and the smoothee....just the thing for your 1:1 sand scorcher build!!

http://www.sandtiresunlimited.com/sandtire1.html

No one's answered CT's actual post.... :huh:

I'll admit - I didn't realise those were real brands until visiting the link above. I always hoped they were, just never bothered to research it.

Just another way in which the 1980s buggies rocked, with their attention to detail and realism :)

And this makes me wonder about Tamiya's weird de-brandifying of the re-rerelease cars.

Why did they replace the decal brands with fake brands, if the tyre brands were retained? (Unless the tyre brands aren't trademarked brands?)

My best guess is that Tamiya considered the re-releases to be a risky venture that wasn't guaranteed to be profitable, therefore, they decided to keep the costs of the re-re kits down in every way possible, including sponsor decal licensing. Perhaps maintaining the real sponsors would have added $30 - $50 to the cost of each kit. Perhaps they were able to get away without any licensing fees on the tyres because they aren't a huge brand like "Bosch" etc.

We may never know.

cheers,

H.

And this makes me wonder about Tamiya's weird de-brandifying of the re-rerelease cars.

Why did they replace the decal brands with fake brands, if the tyre brands were retained? (Unless the tyre brands aren't trademarked brands?)

Interesting question. That they removed the Good Year from the Re-Re XR311 tires is easier to understand.

Jedi,

If you want a true scale look you can cut down the Grasshopper tires as I did on my SS. check out my showroom to see how I did it. They are a pretty close match to the 1:1 tires:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...50609&id=50

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...52183&id=50

James:

Top motor! What technique did you use to get the rubber off in such a clean way?

Thanks Jedi,

I used wire cutters to remove most of the paddle - you cut every other paddle. Then carefully grind off the remaining rubber with a sanding disk on a dremel. It is pretty easy but very messy and does take some time. Do not do it wearing anything you care about as the black residue sticks to everything.

James.

wow, i'd love a pair of those for my 1/1 baja bug, cant see mr plod being over impressed though, although they deffinatly have more than the legaly required 1.6mm tread depth, guessing there not street legal in the UK!