Tamiya_addict

Tamiya Mica Paints

My Aeromax landed today - whoa what a piece of kit. No more cars for me thank you very much. I was like a grinning 5 year old (at age 32). Choice in paint colour is personal I know, but the Aeromax is a hard one to choose for. I really like the colour on the box, but the TS37 Lavender is more a dark pink, whereas the box art is a cherry-violet with a metallic slant.

So I chose mica silver. The guy at the shop said 'mica' meant 'metallic'. So with one can in each hand I asked him the difference b/n mica red and metallic red. Some people don't like direct questions. So he ignored me. Hey what did I say?

From what I can gather, comparing silver leaf with mica silver, mica gives more 'metallic' transparent look. Dunno, comments please!

So if I want to spray with mica silver, should I undercoat Tamiya white or grey? Or should I first spray a silver over the u/coat followed by the mica silver??

Hence, are the mica paints designed soley as top coats, or can they be mixed and matched with other colours? For example would mica red go over the top of a black, to creat a metallic dark red? I don't know.

Is there a way of making lavender (TS37) more exotic, to gain a nice metallic cherry/violet?

Come on, I do think the Tamiya colours are a tad boring. And yes I'm only talking TS sprays as that's all dumb Aussie shops stock.

Comments appreciated!!!

I have never used mica silver but I have found the mica blue and red paints very thin and translucent. This allows your base coat to shine through. On my blackfoot I sprayed silverleaf first then put mica red over it which gave it an almost electric look.

img34_31072002183458_6.jpg

I'm not a fan of the aeromax box art, i just don't know if I could paint a truck so cool with such an ordinary color.

• Like 1

I have never used mica silver but I have found the mica blue and red paints very thin and translucent. This allows your base coat to shine through. On my blackfoot I sprayed silverleaf first then put mica red over it which gave it an almost electric look.

img34_31072002183458_6.jpg

I'm not a fan of the aeromax box art, i just don't know if I could paint a truck so cool with such an ordinary color.

Thanks Shodog - pics much appreciated. Nice red there - sure seems more transparent than metallic red. I've seen some plastic utensils on the web painted as samples with mica vs metallic, but some guy applied the mica underneath the coloured top coat, which I guess is incorrect, as the micas should go on top of the base colour, then a top finish coat applied.

Hmmm, can others add further thoughts on applying Tamiya Mica paints??