netsmithUK

Community Car Has Been Delivered!

Hi All!

Sorry its taken me nearly a whole week to get around to this, but I came back to an incredible amount of real world things to sort out (that and my body clock is still a bit bonkers)

We'll thats it. All over, the model has been handed over and we are now in some small way we are part of Tamiya history.

The model was securely packed in a hard suitcase with a specially made foam interior (wasn't the most attractive but it did the job) The journey went something like

Heathrow/England, Dubai, Osaka/Japan - then by bullet train to Tokyo - then by bus to Kawaguchiko (near mount Fuji), then bus, train and taxi to Shizuoka. All the time with me watching it like a hawk. Arriving in Shizuoka I had to mime 'radio control cars' and repeat the word Tamiya to discribe where I needed to be. The driver soon caught on.

From then on it was all a bit surreal, being in Japan and visiting Tamiya is something that I'd thought about from being a kid and here I was.

We arrived at Tamiya and stood in front of the headquarters, admired the fish and took the usual pictures (I've not finished processing these yet - will post them when I have) Although I was a little early, I was still met at the main door by Kenichi Oshiro, Manager International Division. He offered apologies for Mr Tamiyas absence - which was a shame but he was a very nice man and luckily his english (although not perfect) was a million times better than my Japanese. He'd been with Tamiya for 12 years. Saying there was a hand over ceremony it making it sound a bit grand. The model was actually handed over in reception - this was fine with me I was probably rushing at this point because the the excitement (and also wanting to loose the weight I'd been lugging all the way from england) I think its fair to say he was blown away. I don't think they were expecting anything of this calibre. He handled it with the respect it deserved and said he would have to go and show it around before finding a special place for it. He also assured me Mr Tamiya would be seeing it as soon as he got back. At that point they hadn't prepared a space in the main showrooms, but the drill is there are always user contributed models in there and they rotate them on regular basis. When they are not in the showroom they are in any of the many other showcases around the building.

He then left us in a room watching promotional video while he disappeared with the model. He also said tradition was that when given the japanese always give a gift back [:)] The videos were funny - made recently I guess but at the same time with the exact same feel and voice overs as the ones made in the late 70's. After a few minutes he was back, filling me in on the back ground of the videos. As soon as they had finished he took me on a tour of the factory. Unfortunately I was only able to take photos of the 'public' areas like the museums etc. (again I'll post these later) even though the tour itself cover virtually all the floors and departments in the building.

We went through Media and marketing, where all the advertising comes from, 'Specials' where they put together items for special shows etc, 'REsearch and Development' - although we didn't see much here, the main room we were not allowed into. The Art department was something else - this is where they create the box art. They took me through the process of taking the reference photos to th epoint the guy sits and draws the covers. He told me about how much they pride themselves in the box artwork and also the presentation of the kits. He also said now they have numerous requests from Museums for the artwork (wasn't sure if this was real musuems or just some of you lot chancing your luck :huh: )He seemed it little embarassed when I mentioned the slightly naff boxes of early 90's and put it down to lack of skilled artists. It was in the Art department I saw the Community Car again, it was on a desk with lots of people standing around it, all making approving noises.

I was taken through the parts dept - whcih would make your eyes pop and also the 'repairs' section where they actualy service consumers broken models on site. This was a great place - reminded me of my loft. Another section was the moulds depart when after the mould are produced from CAD drawing, they are loving hand finished to get perfect results. He told me there was a time when Mr Tamiya himself used to sign off all of them before use.

The showrooms themselves are well documented on this and other sites already (I still took loads of pictures though) They just have a feel of some sort of 'temple' - you creep around and talk in hushed tones. The models are a real mixture and the collection is far from complete. RC accounts for just a fraction of the space too.

Having done the museum, I was then driven around the various other factories they have in Shizuoka, some of them used for Distribution (if you remember the scene from the end of 'Raiders of the lost Ark' you'll get a feel of what they were like) but most now used for storage as a lot of the production has now moved off into other areas of Asia. Finally we ended up at classic Tamiya on and off-road tracks that feature in so many of there brochures. Open to the public but not a soul there - its a crime.

Finally back at HQ I was presented with gifts. Molly was given a solar powered model of Doraemon, which she loves and I was given a 2007 Monte Carlo Subaru - worth about $80 and probably my least favourite car in the world - lol, but I kept that too myself and accept it with enthusiasm

And that was that. He drove me back to Shizuoka station and we had a good friendly chat about all things Tamiya - as far as the language would allow.

As for the question everyones been asking - no I didn't see anything top secret or exciting and new. He did talk about a Hilux re-release but that was after we had been talking about the recent Mounty rerelease bodies. (and no i didn't get one of those either) so I think that is what he was talking about.

If I completely honest in talking to him and the various other people I met there, I did get the feeling they were a little bemused by us, in that I don't think they completely understand how deep our interests are or how passionate many members are about their products. I also get the feeling that of everything they do the Radio Control part is almost the poor cousin. They love thier static models and can't talk enough about the 100,000,000 mini 4wds they have sold. Interesting bit of info there - they never officially sold them any where in europe because of problems with the CE quality/safety mark, so any you have seen are 'unofficial' That said they've only just resolved this issue so next year is the year they really start to market them in Europe. They expect them to explode. Don't get me wrong they are very appreciative of having fans of any aspect of their work.

At that was it. The end of a 5 year project and a very long journey. Will it have tightened any connection between us and them - hard to say really. We have definately bumped ourselves up on their radar.

I took loads of pictures that I'll post here soon. As with my trip to Japan in general though I wish I had taken 1000's more, but when you are there and surrounded by stuff to look at its actually the last thing on your mind.

Thanks to all involved

Chris

Welcome back to the real world :lol:

I wish I hade the money and the time to make a tripp to Japan!

So no secret documents bout Sand Scorchers or Rough Rider re-res?.... :huh:

Hope they send pics when the CC Scorcher hit the showroom!!!

Best regards

Badboy

Good to hear they approved of the SS although it's a shame you couldn't meet Mr Tamiya himself. The tour sounds well worth a look though and I'm very glad to hear the car got there in one piece!

Thank you, Chris.

I think the real event here was the car itself.

The culmination of something you envisaged and various members of the passionate TC community dedicating truely outstanding efforts and thought/creativity to accomplish.

It is something outstanding and unique. These are qualities that are, in reality, extremely rare.

WELL DONE!

I think perhaps you should somehow embed the car on the TC main page, with a link to a special showroom.

Thank you for establishing TC.

:huh::lol::)

PS. Sounds like you got more than a 'normal tour' ! :)

And if we see a new blazing blazer appear in your showroom we'll be able to guess why! lol!

Guest joelvardy

..... And then you woke up! :huh:

Sounds like you had a great time!.. I hope to go in the future and see the amazing work first hand!

With out a doubt it sounds like that was a trip of a life time . Though unfortunately I never had anything to add to the build or construction of the car I must admit that just being able to see it unfold over the past few years on TC makes me in an odd sort of way feel like a part of it . I wish I could see the look on Mr. Tamiya's face when he gets back and actually sees what this club ( albeit only select few of the members ) has put together as a kind of tribute to Tamiya RC . And with any luck maybe Tamiya as a company will have a better understanding the extent of what their RC products mean to most of us around the world . Chris , though saddend that I had nothing to contribute to this in any way , I'm without a doubt glad I could at least be around to see it happen ( ok , ok , read it happen :huh: lol ) ....

Great story!

Fairly, I must say, I noticed a slight dissapointment in the story: for Mr Tamiya not being present while you (and TC) took all the effort to make something special and bring it to Tamiya in person.

But then again, it was quite an adventure, thx for sharing!

I really was hoping Mr Tamiya was there...

I really do hope you get some responce from him personally shortly...makes it worth even more.

I also think Japanese people don't express themselves like we do, many times it's more like "politeness".

Still, I think it could have been better...

Anyway, I'm curious about your pics of this amazing trip.

Great effort Chris (and all involved)!!! :)

<respect>

Grtz Dee.

As a newbie to the club, this story was great to read. Having recently completed my own resto SS, the club car sets a standard for us all to aim for. I agree with the other members that it would seem that Tamiya aren't fully understanding of what their product means to some of us. Or, it could just be that they have seen our level of enthusiasm all too often.

Maybe we could start our own museum collection for 'newbies' to come and see??

Looking at the scope of interest in this country alone, I'm sure it would be a huge hit. And, in a way, I think we could do a better job of 'showcasing' the collection.

Maybe thats a subject for another thread?

Anyway, well done to all those who took part in the build and thanks for sharing the story with us.

:):):D

Netsmith! Any pics from the ceremony?

Can't wait!!! :lol:

Cheers

Badboy

Maybe we could start our own museum collection for 'newbies' to come and see??

Looking at the scope of interest in this country alone, I'm sure it would be a huge hit. And, in a way, I think we could do a better job of 'showcasing' the collection.

:D:o:D

I would not be surprise at all in the future someone does start a Tamiya RC and Static museum colllection. I have seen doll house museum openned up and someone with the financial means could make it all possible. Some TC members like could pull it off in the distance future.

Ok, this is ridicilous! :rolleyes:

Chris, what's going on?

I hope everything is ok with you.

I'm sure you've got your reasons for not having posted the pics of the "quest" yet.

Take it easy, I'm (we're) worried.

Grtz Dee.

I bet he has loads of pics!!

Anyway, I've had a chat with my cousin, and he's in the Teretorial Army, and recons can train up a team of 6 elite tamiya club members to break into their head quarters and spy on the latest RE-RE developments. So please forward your applications. Now all i have to do is loose about 5 years and about 5 stone :rolleyes:

Chris

thanks for sharing the story - I feel a little disappointment in your story, and I think it's perfectly natural as it's pretty much the story of how a project ends, which always generate somewhat sad feelings. Thanks again for making us all around the world dream like 13 year-olds!

Regards,

Paul

Now... where are these pix???? :)

I want to get a little story off my chest: driving my "world famous" Hummer in front of some massive-number-of-walkers-on-sunny-sundays-folks...

Suddenly someone cried: oh, what a nice toy!

I was very very close to reply: "Toys? They're NOT!!!"

I didn't...

I realized it WAS a toy in their eyes and they just didn't understand what was driving there...but I don't blame them: an early 40-ish guy with an RC-car...and NO kids...I understand, oh yes, I do.

For me, it's special.

Why do I write this?

Well, I don't think Tamiya understand what or who we are, we're just customers, maybe even a bunch of fanatics, you tell me.

And now they made a gift...for us it's special but for them...I don't know.

Sorry, I had to get it off my chest because it bothers me that "we*" made something special and Mr Tamiya wasn't even there.

Talking about manners...

I can imaging it hurts.

Glad I didn't participated because otherwise I would go ballistic in this topic.

Got my drift?

Or is it just me?

Can I say this?

Nevertheless, I see it as a nice trip and can't wait for the pics (ok, ok, I have to but still :P ).

Grtz Dee.

*Not me, but would have because then I would have even more to say!

Dee- I sympathize with you completely.

If it were a 1:1 truck, would you have gotten such a response? Of course not.

I picked 'model' cars because they are reasonable for myself as a hobby. Unfortunately people look at this as childish for whatever reason.

I guess 1:1 vehicles are more masculine, therefore more acceptable? Why do we need to prove our masculinity?

I'm perfectly confident in my person; I have nothing to prove. Ironic how society wants it both ways...

Call them what you will, but my 'toys' make me happy!

-Steve

I took one of my RC cars for a 5 mile walk with Mrs Skip the other weekend - we passed quite a few walkers and only one person commented with "well, some people bring a dog!" - its true though, I feel embarrassed if I meet people when out with them - unless I am in a group - shame really :P

Guest joelvardy

I keep mine quite, people I want to know, know about them

If anyone says anything I make out like they are all nitro because they are 'kool'

Well, I don't think Tamiya understand what or who we are, we're just customers, maybe even a bunch of fanatics, you tell me.

And now they made a gift...for us it's special but for them...I don't know.

Sorry, I had to get it off my chest because it bothers me that "we*" made something special and Mr Tamiya wasn't even there.

Talking about manners...

I can imaging it hurts.

Glad I didn't participated because otherwise I would go ballistic in this topic.

Got my drift?

Or is it just me?

Can I say this?

Nevertheless, I see it as a nice trip and can't wait for the pics (ok, ok, I have to but still :P ).

Grtz Dee.

*Not me, but would have because then I would have even more to say!

Dee, I think you are right, we are a bunch of "nutters" and Tamiya is mainly about selling "toys".

But, we should be happy for Tamiya being focused on selling large quantities of "toys", because if they did not, Tamiya would probably not exist anymore, and neither would nice things like the High Lift. (which I consider a "high level toy" :-) )

What I mean is, we "nutters" are in no way many enough to be noticed by a company that has to make money each day (we are not their market). Tamiya is certainly not a "one off" company, with respect to unique modells, what they celebrate are the models that sells the largest quantities and makes the biggest profit, which often is not in line with what collerctors and vintage enthusiasts search for.

Maybe I'm not making sense her, but basically, I think you are right Dee....

-Lars