Sign in to follow this  
danuk

Are Vintage Models Moving Out Of A Realistic Price Range?

Since looking for a NIB shell for my Paris-Dakar 959 I have been shocked at how much some kits and kit parts are fetching! Can I justify spending that to make my 959 mint?

At this rate will some kits be out of a realistic price range? I mean, 200 for a 959 body, 350 for a body for a Toyota 4X4 derivative makes restoring a car an incredibly expensive proposition.

Or do guys consider it money in the bank?

NIB kits and parts will only go up (unless they get Re-Re) so hanging onto anything valuable now should only increase in desirability/rarity.

Where does the hobby go from here?

To answer your question, i don't think vintage stuff has ever been in a realistic price range.

the 959 body is paper thin and 95% percent of all used ones are hammered.

The Toyota 4X4 body is one of the most desirable so it's going to command a high price.

if you want to collect vintage cars and have a limited budget. you should go for stuff that's less desirable like a striker

I don't have a Limited Budget Shodog, just a wife! I just imagine her seeing the stuff in my ebay watch list and going nuts!

Like most I want the stuff that brings back memories from when I couldn't afford an RC car as a kid, 959, Blackfoot, Bruiser, Hotshot etc

so will have to pay the price if I want shelf queens. I have the skills to make them look good having gained experience racing 1/10 off road for many years in the early '90s so I hope they will at least hold their initial cost.

Just wonder if I am crazy looking at paying 200 for a single body or do we somehow justify it?

I wish I didn't have to sell my New Built Juggernaut 2 two years ago to get married, only got 150! Making up for it now though!

Since looking for a NIB shell for my Paris-Dakar 959 I have been shocked at how much some kits and kit parts are fetching! Can I justify spending that to make my 959 mint?

At this rate will some kits be out of a realistic price range? I mean, 200 for a 959 body, 350 for a body for a Toyota 4X4 derivative makes restoring a car an incredibly expensive proposition.

Or do guys consider it money in the bank?

NIB kits and parts will only go up (unless they get Re-Re) so hanging onto anything valuable now should only increase in desirability/rarity.

Where does the hobby go from here?

Supply and demand, like everything else in this world; if prices are going up, then it means there are people willing to pay that much. It like collecting anything else I guess, coins, stamps , antiques... Only we use the cars, break the parts and have to start again :D

Just wonder if I am crazy looking at paying 200 for a single body or do we somehow justify it?

Ask anyone with no interest in the hobby & they'd have you sectioned in an instant but it's not about rationality is it ?

It's why I have boxes full of SRB parts awaiting rebuild & why I have several guitars worth thousands each, in some strange twisted way I've justified them.

You still need common sense, you can't have one of every desirable car & lose your house over them, THAT is crazy, but if you want a restored 959 & a current market price is 200 you're kinda stuck.

Personally I have no interest in shelfers, my attitude is that these things were designed to be used & use them I will, albeit gently in some cases.

I also think collecting NIB is utterly pointless, but each to his own, again purely personal opinion.

As with anything collectable, prices are only likely to keep going up I'm afraid, unless something happens to devalue the market, eg: an exact copy re release & based on other re re's Tamiya seem to make just enough changes so as not to affect the originals.

if you want to collect vintage cars and have a limited budget. you should go for stuff that's less desirable like a striker

Dont buy the Striker,as I wouldnt have anything vintage left to buy.:D

But if you want to spend the money you can buy any car you want. Just about any car over $150.00 is out of my realistic price range but if you really like one car and you want to do it up right it will most likely take more time than money.

I still think that some of the crazy NIB prics are really out there but i dont like NIB anyway. But most cars can be bought as a project cheaper and then built up over time to look really great.

I have to agree - I'd prefer to put a model back to running status - with all the bits, not necessarily mint, but unbroken (or repro)... I'll never be able to justify or afford the mint/NIB stuff...

Takes a bit of time and luck to find cheap restorable (sometime mint) vintage :D

I found a Falcon and Bearhawk in near mint condition for about $50 CAD, granted they aren't the most desirable vintage but it's possible to find a nice/decent vintage for a good price.

P.S. I didn't buy the Falcon or Bearhawk

If you want a taste of genuine Unreality, check out how much owners spend on their

classic cars to take them to Pebble Beach just to be able to park them on the lawn.

Makes $3k on a NIB Sand Scorcher sound like loose change. :D

Dont buy the Striker,as I wouldnt have anything vintage left to buy.:D

But if you want to spend the money you can buy any car you want. Just about any car over $150.00 is out of my realistic price range but if you really like one car and you want to do it up right it will most likely take more time than money.

I still think that some of the crazy NIB prics are really out there but i dont like NIB anyway. But most cars can be bought as a project cheaper and then built up over time to look really great.

Just takes patience.

Really.

Kyosho fantom 4wd EP

500Euro last december

95Euro 1 month ago

Bruiser complete hardly used, ready to run

500 - 800 Euro constant

320Euro 5 months ago simply no one bidding/online 2 mins to go, according to bid history.

It needent be exorbitant.

Expensive yes. Insane only if you choose to bid past your 'sanity' level.

:)

All part of the excitement!

And yeah, leave the Striker for Bakaguyjean! :o:)

Hi i think that vintage tamiya parts are way to much i mean a genuine new 959 shell for 250 pounds is crazy when you can pick up better quality replicas for 35quid. It is a real shame that no one has copied the mounty or hilux shell (HINT HINT KAMTEC ) as there is no justification for spending 400 on a new shell.

Thanks

Hi i think that vintage tamiya parts are way to much i mean a genuine new 959 shell for 250 pounds is crazy when you can pick up better quality replicas for 35quid. It is a real shame that no one has copied the mounty or hilux shell (HINT HINT KAMTEC ) as there is no justification for spending 400 on a new shell.

Thanks

But a replica is not the original - You can buy a fake Rolex for 7, but Rolex probably aren't gonna reduce their prices any time soon :D

Someone spending years/serious money on restoring a car to original condition is hardly going to compromise and stick a cheapo replica shell on it, just to finish the job- I know I couldn't

As long as someone is prepared to pay 250 for a shell, then that's the price of them - they're not usually for sale for long.

As for the 400 Mountaineer shells, they started on ebay as 150 shells - they only became 400 once they sold for the second time.

a genuine new 959 shell for 250 pounds is crazy when you can pick up better quality replicas for 35quid.

It is a real shame that no one has copied the mounty or hilux shell (HINT HINT KAMTEC ) as there is no justification for spending 400 on a new shell.

I have to agree and disagree here. Yes the lexan is thicker on the kamtec repro the detail is no where near the quality of Tamiya.

A lexan bruiser shell is going to have a limited following. the main reason it is so desired is that it's hard plastic with a huge amount of detail. A lexan body is well a lexan body that can only have so much detail

If you want a taste of genuine Unreality, check out how much owners spend on their

classic cars to take them to Pebble Beach just to be able to park them on the lawn.

Makes $3k on a NIB Sand Scorcher sound like loose change. :D

AHEM!

As the former multiple national concours entrant - and class winner - I hope you mean that in a postive sence! :)

----temporary thread hijack :o;) ------

It's not unreal - it's just another level of complexity. RC parts experience hardly any use relatively speaking. Classic car parts experience destructive hard, almost inevitably unsympathetic, use for much longer periods, in hostile (to parts) environments. Hence replacement, much less perfection, requires far more extensive efforts. This costs.

-----hijack/diversion over-----

:) As an extremely serious classic car concours competitor I suppose I could be considered as a very likely Tamiya shelf queen person. So it is perhaps paradoxical that I while I can understand the cost and - much much much worse - the TRUELY insane/inane time dedicated to achieving better than perfection in a car, I have no interest at all in have Tamiya shelf queens.

I thoroughly enjoy racing vintage Tamiya models for the look, the camradery, and the makes everyone smile effect these models have. But looking at them on a shelf or box, they just shout DRIVE ME to me.

As to replica's - they will always be replicas. They serve a positive and wonderful purpose. But if you are a collector type enthusiast they will not fulfill the appropriate spot(s) for you.

And a lexan Bruiser body defeats the point of their attraction.

And again, due to ebay, basically, patience will usually reward.

:o

If we all stopped paying for a period, the prices WOULD drop. May be unlikey to happen tho..... :P:)

But a replica is not the original - You can buy a fake Rolex for 7, but Rolex probably aren't gonna reduce their prices any time soon :D

Someone spending years/serious money on restoring a car to original condition is hardly going to compromise and stick a cheapo replica shell on it, just to finish the job- I know I couldn't

As long as someone is prepared to pay 250 for a shell, then that's the price of them - they're not usually for sale for long.

As for the 400 Mountaineer shells, they started on ebay as 150 shells - they only became 400 once they sold for the second time.

Good comments all.

I like what Twinset said.

Are Vintage Models Moving Out Of A Realistic Price Range? That depends on your definition of "a realistic price range". Things are worth whatever people want to pay. If Sand Scorchers are fetching $10,000 in 10 years time, then is that crazy? No, it's just what they're worth to people. The market decides.

But only closing prices on plain auctions tell you what stuff is worth. Buy-it-now prices for items that don't sell, don't count.

I love the vintage buggies enough that if I had to save for 3 years to buy something I really loved, I'd try and do it :D

Danuk, if you love the 959 enough, then I reckon just take your time and save and buy the genuine parts. Even if it takes you a while (years) to complete the car, the satisfaction at the end will make it all the more worthwhile, from knowing the amount of time and care that has gone into it.

If on the other hand, you just love the style of car rather than the genuine Tamiya article, then you might be just as happy using replica parts, like a Kamtec body. It's all about you, so whatever makes you happy. ;) Don't do stuff based on what other people do.

I've been in the process of restoring a Sand Scorcher for nearly 2 years. I'm in no hurry and I'm only doing it for my own fun. I nearly wore my fingers off last weekend, polishing the radio tub and window glass with 4 grades of sand paper and two grades of polishing compound for nearly 2 whole days. And this is nothing special at all compared to what some collectors do!

So I just do whatever makes me happy. Personally I won't compromise on parts - I like everything original, to the manual, and if I need a new part I try to save and buy it as a new-in-packet original part. So far I've spent over AU$1000 on this car, and it's a long way from finished. Some will say that's crazy, but who cares? The expense has been incremental so it hasn't hurt that bad. And I get a lot of fun from patiently working on R/C stuff and not rushing it.

As for NIB, I'm a fan there too. Kudos to anyone who collects NIB stuff for the love of it. If you're a huge fan of certain cars, then why not? For me, these were untouchable toys when I was a kid. Owning a NIB of certain cars, is really great fun. Not a week goes by when I don't consider getting a NIB out on the floor, and just pouring over it's contents. Always brings a smile.

Of course, you can't take them with you when you die. So I suspect that all my NIBs will be built one day. But maybe I'll save that for my retirement years.

The only downside to NIBs is that their high values mean that not all the people selling them are the nicest people.

I have no respect for those who simply buy NIB kits from true enthusiasts, and then try to sell them for silly prices on eBay. Sometimes when you speak to them, you get the feeling they think they are some sort class above everybody else just because they own a few NIBs. People who focus on their status or their profits, are losers. True enthusiasts are the ones who buy and sell fairly, do it for love of the hobby, won't rip you off, and you can usually tell who they are because their honest appreciation for the toys themselves comes through in conversation. There are lots of good guys (and girls) out there who will do you good deals as a fellow enthusiast, and where possible I would try and avoid the small number of arrogant profiteers.

Ack, sorry for rambling on as usual...

cheers,

H.

Hmmm, interesting comments from all. I was hoping I may touch hearts with this thread as it is something we all feel passionate about!

I know what I want from the hobby, but attaining it is another thing, yet that is the fun and the draw from rejuvinating my passion for Tamiya's 20 year old products. I'm 13 all over again and everyone has something that takes them back to periods of their lives.

You guys are right, I have the car already so as long as it takes to get it to the condition I desire is always my choice, as is how much it costs me.

It will get used, though carefully, and I will of course keep you all posted on it's progress!

Wish me luck! And if you are also involved in a 959 project, happy bidding with me! :D

AHEM!

As the former multiple national concours entrant - and class winner - I hope you mean that in a postive sence! :D

It's not unreal - it's just another level of complexity. RC parts experience hardly any use relatively speaking. Classic car parts experience destructive hard, almost inevitably unsympathetic, use for much longer periods, in hostile (to parts) environments. Hence replacement, much less perfection, requires far more extensive efforts. This costs.

As an extremely serious classic car concours competitor I suppose I could be considered as a very likely Tamiya shelf queen person. So it is perhaps paradoxical that I while I can understand the cost and - much much much worse - the TRUELY insane/inane time dedicated to achieving better than perfection in a car, I have no interest at all in have Tamiya shelf queens.

I thoroughly enjoy racing vintage Tamiya models for the look, the camradery, and the makes everyone smile effect these models have. But looking at them on a shelf or box, they just shout DRIVE ME to me.

wow... how old are you, imho you'd have to be 100+ having done so much with hobbies ;)

Shelfqueens are nice if you've got a runner already. And a NIB kit too to keep it company.

nah, I don't understand ppl who rebuild their classics to better-than-new then just trailer it to shows.

I'd rather drive them! but yeah, if i had the time/space/$$ i'd love to park some "perfection" in the loungeroom.

Pricing up the bits for an twin S.U. rebuild ... suspect it'll cost more than a NIB 959 shell. :D

Nah RC cars are comparatively cheap, ownership costs are zero - no registration, no insurance, no servicing.

And they're much easier to HIDE FROM THE WOMEN. :P

...if you want to collect vintage cars and have a limited budget.

The word collect here is a common mistake that many collectors do. Not all buy old/veteran (I think the term vintage is ridicilous as our old cars seldom are of a specific vintage i.e. year) RC-cars for collecting purposes. Some actually only want to restore the car they once ran. They, most probably, do not intend to/are not interested in ending up with a collection of, say the first 100 Tamiyas NIB.

For them today's prices are insane, for those collecting they are only a natural part of the game. For the first group it is doubtful they are reasonable but for the latter it can been seen as added excitement when they do find that rare thing dirt cheap.

wow... how old are you, imho you'd have to be 100+ having done so much with hobbies :P

I am 32 but feel like 100 somedays, 19 most days (except before 9am weekdays :P )

Shelfqueens are nice if you've got a runner already. And a NIB kit too to keep it company.

nah, I don't understand ppl who rebuild their classics to better-than-new then just trailer it to shows.

I'd rather drive them! but yeah, if i had the time/space/$$ i'd love to park some "perfection" in the loungeroom.

Pricing up the bits for an twin S.U. rebuild ... suspect it'll cost more than a NIB 959 shell. :D

Nah RC cars are comparatively cheap, ownership costs are zero - no registration, no insurance, no servicing.

And they're much easier to HIDE FROM THE WOMEN. :P

Well I drove my Alfa too, but in the end it just became too much to get it ready for the events. It's truely OTT - I literally realised the insanity at 4:30am one morning when I was under the car, polishing the prop shaft !!! that was the last serious show I entered. :P

It was the challenge of making it good that was intensely satisfying. And looking at her was something I can still do for hours. ;)

Just like Tamiya - buy them built or 'hopped up' is the BEST way. Starting from a NIB or runner is the most costly way.

COLLECT or not at HIGH PRICES - DON'T BID - WAIT : there are enough out there to be had at lower prices. For 95% of the Tamiya models.

:D