Sign in to follow this  
MAD RACER

Next Re Release

Wow, I didn't realise there was a difference between the Sand Scorcher and Monster Beetle shells in profile! I just thought it was down to the body mounts, and smoked glass. That's what I love about life, learn something new every day!!

It would be cool if they would produce a batch of SRB spares though. I'm sure they could sell loads of front bumpers, rear cages, body sets, decal sets, motor/gear covers, etc. I wonder how many people would be worried about the residual value of their mint vintage stuff though??

Yeah, a re-re of the Holiday Buggy, and the Sand Rover would at least make the bumpers available again :-)

It would be cool if they would produce a batch of SRB spares though. I'm sure they could sell loads of front bumpers, rear cages, body sets, decal sets, motor/gear covers, etc.

Yeah, a re-re of the Holiday Buggy, and the Sand Rover would at least make the bumpers available again :-)

Excellent idea, I wish that Tamiya would see it that way.

Cheers,

Ali. G.

E-mail petition to Tamiya anyone!!??

Or maybe just all of us send a friendly letter pleading for HB and SR ?

I have both in my collection already, but would like to get a new one of each again.

Oh, and Alistair, thanks for the UK TV link you put up on another thread, I forgot to say thanks over there, but suffice to say Blackadder is still as good as I remember !

I like the sound of a Re-release Sand Rover. Send the cowboy back to brokeback mountain, throw the tub in the bin, fit the body to a SRB chassis and sell the rest. LOL!

Seriously though, I'd buy 2 of them without a thought.

Wow, I didn't realise there was a difference between the Sand Scorcher and Monster Beetle shells in profile! I just thought it was down to the body mounts, and smoked glass. That's what I love about life, learn something new every day!!
Be prepared to learn a lot then. A full list of the differences are here

http://www.tamiya101.com/article_sand_scorcher_shells.asp

Hi, its quite a thread so I may have missed this, but does anybody know if Tamiya will be re-releasing the Blitzer Beetle in the new year?

Thanks

Hi, its quite a thread so I may have missed this, but does anybody know if Tamiya will be re-releasing the Blitzer Beetle in the new year?

No talk of this at this stage that I've seen.

- James

Hi there,,,

Talking about re-releases

My impression is that Tamiya will produce all the small vintage models initially promoted with some coffee brand or something..( Photo below) ..From what I can see all of them are being already produced. If you look at the pic..even the Rough Rider has a Tamtech model. The secret model was the Avante which has already being produced with a modern chassis...Boomerang is on its way... So, the next in production line looks like ==ASTUTE == ;) ...Is the only one left from the group...! We have not seen it in any form so far,, I think we will see it sooner or later...

This will help all Egress owners trying to find expensive rear wheels and tires..!!

One think that puzzles me is the production of Brat..

Any ideas..?????

Be cool!! :D

post-4622-1224499023.jpg

One think that puzzles me is the production of Brat..

Any ideas..?????

Be cool!! ;)

I think the reason is it has an identical chassis to the Frog - so it was a very straightforward job to just remake the shell and voila - a whole "new" model to sell :D

I agree in part, but I really truly cannot accept the description of the Buggy Champ as a reissue, rerelease or anything remotely similar to the Rough Rider SRB vehicle from the 70's. For that matter, the Avante only shares part of a name and some colouring, otherwise that is a different animal also.

Paul.

I agree in part, but I really truly cannot accept the description of the Buggy Champ as a reissue, rerelease or anything remotely similar to the Rough Rider SRB vehicle from the 70's. For that matter, the Avante only shares part of a name and some colouring, otherwise that is a different animal also.

True, and strictly speaking, the 3-speed Toyota Hilux Hi-Lift isn't a re-release either... But it's as close as I think we're ever going to see to a re-release of the Mountaineer/Bruiser.

People were saying that they'd like an SRB on an 'updated' chassis... And that's pretty close to what they want, just not in 1/10. I get the impression they'd only be happy if it was 1/10, with a plastic version of the chassis but with the same wheels/tires/shell of the original.

- J

Part of the charm of the SRBs was the big heavy old metal chassis. Take that away and you are taking away a large portion of the essense of the model. For that matter, changing the packaging (for something smaller without blisters, for example) also detracts from the 'experience'. Many of you probably know that the parts aren't even made in the same factory any more, the words 'Made in Japan' scratched off some of the molds.

For me, a reissue/rerelease is the Frog, Brat, Hotshot, Hornet, Grasshopper, etc. Upto a point, they have altered some parts, changed the packaging, but much of the essence remains.

The Hilux doesn't fall into this bracket for me, neither do any Tamtechs or the Avante. Even if that Jeep has a hard shell and not a lexan, it isn't a reissue either, with that ridiculous chassis underneath. What were they thinking? Looking closely at what photos I have to go on and considering the question of weight, packing, cost and the rest of the series, I think it is going to be Lexan. I assure you that this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I am considering listing a couple of my many Jeep Wrangler bodies on ebay shortly.

Paul.

Even if that Jeep has a hard shell and not a lexan, it isn't a reissue either, with that ridiculous chassis underneath. What were they thinking?

Wait, are you calling the CR-01 chassi ridiculous in comparison with the XC/CC-01? That's a new one, I strongly dislike my XC-01 with it's stupid front bumper that hinders performance way to much, only that fact that the entire gearbox is integrated into the chassi make the XC feel to much like a cheap toy...

At least the CR-01 is a decent performer...

In terms of scale modelling (I know little to nothing about the performance of the CR-01, not my thing) the XC with the Jeep body looks somewhat like the real thing. The CR doesn't. I am not talking about ability to crawl over rocks, negotiate riverbeds or anything similar. Just scale modelling and reissues. The Jeep body looks beyond silly on top of that chassis. I guess a better way of wording it in the previous post would have been it looks ridiculous on that chassis, as the chassis itself isn't ridiculous.

Paul.

Paul, the CR01-bashing-police is pretty active on this board as you can see ;)

Paul

I don`t think they are bashing police.Some people just don`t get the rock crawler interest,therefor the CR-01 chassis has no real apeal to them.

It is definately a performance chassis as oposed to a scale-ish looking chassis like the XC-CC01(wheels inside the arches)

Part of the charm of the SRBs was the big heavy old metal chassis. Take that away and you are taking away a large portion of the essense of the model. For that matter, changing the packaging (for something smaller without blisters, for example) also detracts from the 'experience'. Many of you probably know that the parts aren't even made in the same factory any more, the words 'Made in Japan' scratched off some of the molds.

For me, a reissue/rerelease is the Frog, Brat, Hotshot, Hornet, Grasshopper, etc. Upto a point, they have altered some parts, changed the packaging, but much of the essence remains.

The Hilux doesn't fall into this bracket for me, neither do any Tamtechs or the Avante.

Much of what you said here distilled exactly what I (and I suspect and awful lot of people on here) are thinking.

I'm personally not bothered where the thing is made as long as it is very close to the original release (preferably identical for me personally).

Cheers,

Alistair G.

In a world of brushless motors, fast cars, carbon chassis etc., I can see the attraction of having a nice crawl over some rocks at a stately pace. Whilst it doesn't float my boat, I don't expect others to be turned on by my unhealthy obsession with owning the entire RIKO warehouses either.

The previous post doesn't read well, but for the record, I make no slight against rock crawling, I worded it badly. I just meant that the body looks ridiculous on that chassis (I still think it looks ridiculous btw!). It is a relatively new foray for Tamiya, something tells me they were somewhat surprised to find out what people had done with TXT-1s and figured they wanted a piece of a relatively emerging market.

So, crawl those rocks, you won't get no critique from me :-)

Paul.

Yes, this is all quite true - It comes down to this: They either:

* Bite the bullet and release the original kit with minimal tweaks and diminish some of the prestige of the older kits, or

* Make an updated version, and then end up...

1. Annoying a few people because it's not exactly the same, or

2. Make some people glad that they can get a body shell, tires and bumper bar for their old car, or

3. Making the owners of original examples glad that the new car doesn't diminish the value of the originals, who then promptly ignore the kit, or

4. Some recognise the new model as appealing in its own right, despite it being different, and it attracts its own fans (like the Hi-Lift has done)

* Or they let the memory of the original cars lie.

There's a fine line between an homage, and a dog's breakfast...

- James

There is a definite cross-over between RC trucks/scalers/off-roaders and crawlers and there will be people who have a preference for an individual area and not see the point of another - as a great song once said "If everybody looked the same, we'd get tired of looking at each other" ;)

Yes, this is all quite true - It comes down to this: They either:

* Bite the bullet and release the original kit with minimal tweaks and diminish some of the prestige of the older kits, or

* Make an updated version, and then end up...

1. Annoying a few people because it's not exactly the same, or

2. Make some people glad that they can get a body shell, tires and bumper bar for their old car, or

3. Making the owners of original examples glad that the new car doesn't diminish the value of the originals, who then promptly ignore the kit, or

4. Some recognise the new model as appealing in its own right, despite it being different, and it attracts its own fans (like the Hi-Lift has done)

* Or they let the memory of the original cars lie.

There's a fine line between an homage, and a dog's breakfast...

- James

I dont know why they dont just bring out a 30th anniversary limited edition re-release of the exact same Rough Rider of 1979, aiming it squarely at collectors with a hefty price - say 200. They would still sell boat loads of them without damaging the brand in any shape or form.