barney buggy collector

Rc Db01 Durga - Db01

Came across many nice pics of the Durga on display at the 2007 Tokyo Hobby Show on RCForum.co.kr. I really like the alloy lay-shaft housing. Don't know if the integrated gearbox/chassis is a good thing or not just yet. I guess it all depends on how the suspension connects to it. I'm getting excited...

http://rcforum.co.kr/news/entry/Tamiya-DB0...okyo-Hobby-Show

1304195508.jpg

1092612921.jpg

1354236286.jpg

1117779218.jpg

1408960368.jpg

1406296769.jpg

1344821689.jpg

1004264214.jpg

1219406899.jpg

header_58395.jpg

gallery_58395.jpg

OMG I love it!!! It actually looks like a great "performance" basher. It also seems that the Chassis tub is made of glass reinforced plastic, instead of Tamiya's usual standard ABS. I also like the ability to use stick & side-by-side packs. I'm REALLY looking forward to the first reviews of this car.

I also hope Tamiya learned from the DI, and didn't connect the control arms directly to the diff housings...

PS: A new Dyna Storm related car would F'in awesome...

The durga looks indeed like a hi-perf basher - as opposed to the DF03, whose review in oople was a bif turn-off for me (I can't believe tamiya used the gearboxes to hold the hinge pins...). I recently rebuilt a XXX BK1 to bash around, but I really like 4wd cars better off-track in low adherence conditions!

I would suspect it will retail slightly north of $150 on asian webshops, as the DF03's are about $125 now.

If the shocks are the same length as the TRF on road ones, I'll buy myself a kit as I have a set of TRF fluorine shocks that I took back from my xray when I sold it!!!

Paul

PS: what the heck does "Durga" mean???

Re the one-piece chassis/gearboxes, this car reminds me of my old XX4 somehow... if Tamiya can get the same injection molding accuracy, there's no reason why it wouldn't work ;) It sure is a pain for maintenance, but from a rigidity stanpoint it's absolutely awsome!

Paul

Actually, there are quite a few pictures around on the net that show that the pivot blocks for the suspension are separate pieces that bolt on to the chassis ;)

If the shocks are the same length as the TRF on road ones, I'll buy myself a kit as I have a set of TRF fluorine shocks that I took back from my xray when I sold it!!!

Paul

PS: what the heck does "Durga" mean???

The term Durga refers to a Hindu Goddess. It's covered earlier in this thread I believe (or here).

As for the shocks, I don't think touring car ones will work. The standard Durga kit shocks appear to be the ubiquitous CVA-II short & mini dampers found on just about every Tamiya off-road buggy since the Avante 2001..

This looks like a very nice buggy! The reason I didn't bought a TRF501X was that all the diffs were exposed. That's fixed now! Hopefully the turnbuckle set and TRF dampers from my DF03 fit the Durga

Hopefully the turnbuckle set and TRF dampers from my DF03 fit the Durga

Looks like the car comes with turn-buckles.

The DF-03 shocks will definitely fit the Durga. Both the DF-03 and DB-01 start off with the same CVA dampers. The only difference might be the use of internal spacers (which you can change on the DF-03 shocks too). 501x shocks would still be cheaper though (and better)...

The DF-03 shocks will definitely fit the Durga. Both the DF-03 and DB-01 start off with the same CVA dampers. The only difference might be the use of internal spacers (which you can change on the DF-03 shocks too). 501x shocks would still be cheaper though (and better)...

I have a set of BJ4 shocks that I used on my DF03 that will be a perfect fit for the Durga :mellow: . I got these shocks free from a guy who switched to Losi shocks, right place right time!!

I already have a DF03 with TRF shocks so for me it would be easier to use those. Those turnbuckles are really a nice add. However I want to use my DF03 turnbuckles also, they look nice in blue ..

I find it interesting that there are lots of durga stocks are available (from japan). Wonder if it was not so popular, somehow tons of old stock became available? (I assume it got discontinued while ago)

It does seem like there's a lot, but don't forget that several of those ebay accounts are kinda tied to the same inventory, so there's no telling how many there actually are. Seems like a great time to grab one though, it just doesn't call out to me :lol:. I suppose non-box art might be kinda cool though :unsure:, hmmmm . . .

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GToddC5 said:

It does seem like there's a lot, but don't forget that several of those ebay accounts are kinda tied to the same inventory, so there's no telling how many there actually are. Seems like a great time to grab one though, it just doesn't call out to me :lol:. I suppose non-box art might be kinda cool though :unsure:, hmmmm . . .

Go for it!

• Like 1

Yeah I think the Durga got quietly retired a few years ago and this is new old stock and like what @GToddC5 has said these ones that are on eBay are kinda from the same area! I bought one simply because the chassis and its drive train really intrigued me build wise and now It’s built I can honestly say it’s a brilliant buggy and I think it’s going to be one of those sleepers which people wished they’d bought when it was originally out;)

IMG_0342.jpeg

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, moffman said:

Yeah I think the Durga got quietly retired a few years ago and this is new old stock and like what @GToddC5 has said these ones that are on eBay are kinda from the same area! I bought one simply because the chassis and its drive train really intrigued me build wise and now It’s built I can honestly say it’s a brilliant buggy and I think it’s going to be one of those sleepers which people wished they’d bought when it was originally out;)

IMG_0342.jpeg

Looks nice.. out of curiosity, have you tried to put different wheels, looks like they have some special hex thickness for both front and back and shallow wheels are needed for db-01.. 

• Like 1

I got one too last year. It's a great buggy Compress_20230517_161745_5732.thumb.jpg.e30507f29beb21edd3744789e1015d1b.jpgCompress_20230517_161745_5900.thumb.jpg.728c5aaa0c567aa2b635d5ea91ec7e86.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sogogi said:

Looks nice.. out of curiosity, have you tried to put different wheels, looks like they have some special hex thickness for both front and back and shallow wheels are needed for db-01.. 

They just have some tiny hex on the back which just gets stuck in the wheels and the front wheels just use the pin straight into the wheel (very odd) so putting different hexes on for different wheels probably quite straight forward…….famous last words:rolleyes:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, moffman said:

They just have some tiny hex on the back which just gets stuck in the wheels and the front wheels just use the pin straight into the wheel (very odd) so putting different hexes on for different wheels probably quite straight forward…….famous last words:rolleyes:

Other way round isn't it mate? Pin straight into the rear wheels and small unique hex on the front wheels I believe. You can get Tamiya parts to convert both front and rear to 12mm hexes. I think I bought those and have them in my DB01 hopups box. Haven't built mine yet though.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sogogi said:

I find it interesting that there are lots of durga stocks are available (from japan). Wonder if it was not so popular, somehow tons of old stock became available? (I assume it got discontinued while ago)

I love how you just resurrected a thread that's more than 16yrs old😵💫 Someone's been using the search function!😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

I love how you just resurrected a thread that's more than 16yrs old😵💫 Someone's been using the search function!😂

Wow 16years……….. 

57 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Other way round isn't it mate? Pin straight into the rear wheels and small unique hex on the front wheels I believe. You can get Tamiya parts to convert both front and rear to 12mm hexes. I think I bought those and have them in my DB01 hopups box. Haven't built mine yet though.

Yeah ya probably right! Well you are right :rolleyes: story of my life getting things the wrong way round that’s why it takes me twice as long as it should to build a kit!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

OMG ive just noticed that! and I’ve been looking back on the previous photos:)

This is one of the first threads I checked out on TC when I discovered you Guy's in 2010.  Durga was then my re-entry to Tamiya so sweet nostalgia for me, thanks !    I remember the review on Oople too   https://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewtamiyadurga/

I have strong feels for this car still.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Thats rough pointing put that 2007 is 16years ago! You could have just said an old thread, way to make us all feel old

But also, yes easy to convert a DB01 to 12mm hex, have done it with Tamiya parts. Only Tamiya parts work unless you want to drill out the hexes though, the axles are weird. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1