tobyd

Tamiya Wheels On Ultima Pro Xl - How?

I've broken one of the rims on my XL and my supply of tyres is exhausted so looking to get some modern rims and tyres. I have some tamiya rims but have found that they don't fit. The fronts have too large a hole and the rears have no offset so foul the shocks. Can anyone recommend some rims

that will fit both the Ultima and the modern Tamiya tyres 2.2 tyres or new mountings for the wheels.

Cheers

Toby

I can't believe HPI still makes the front collars for the super star wheels but not the actual wheels. :unsure:

rear wheels are easy, just get rear Lazer ZX-5 / Ultima RB-5 wheels (they are the same). As for the front, here's a neat trick I recently found: the outer diameter of the Ultima's front bearing is 8mm. the outer diameter of the RC10 (any RC10) front bearing is 5/16" which is 7.94mm. That means that RC10 front wheels can be mounted on the Ultima using the Ultima's 8x4 bearings. I tried it and it fits like a glove! The only possible exception is the RC10B4 wheels which I believe have different offset and might not fit right, but older versions wheels are still available.

Wow, that's great news. I actually like the super star buggy wheels. They are a nice change from the standard dish type wheels. I recently found some chrome Kyosho ones at a local hobby shop. I snapped those babies up for use on my Optima Mid.