Twist.

Your Pc Rig?

Love that armor you've got there. And the bigwater liquid cooling is sweet, too.

It's a shame- those components were great before but now are sadly out-dated

The Quad is coming :) Ill wait a little longer for prices to drop then it's shopping time

Pfft. Who needs 8 cores when you can have 4 cores and 3 videocards in SLI? http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/01/08/ces...way_sli_crysis/

In all seriousness though, if you want to buy a new videocard, the safest bets would be the ati 3850 which is much more performing than the nvidia 8600 in the same price range (170) or the 8800GT which performs as well as an 8800GTX for only 240.

Quad core, that's a little behind the times :)

You don't fancy an 8 core desktop?

Thats a server ! and Two CPu's is cheating ;) Imagine the cooling solution on that. Makes my glycol bigwater look like a drip in the ocean. A car radiator attached to a pressure washer is probably the order of the day lol or just keep it in a walk in freezer ;)

Thats a server ! and Two CPu's is cheating ;) Imagine the cooling solution on that.

No it's not, that's just one of Apples Mac Pro desktops, even the base model desktop tower has a quad core processor. You don't need 4 graphics card slots or to be able to drive a 30" monitor as standard in a server. ;) Their servers look like this

No water cooling either, just good chassis design so it's air cooled - notice the full height mesh front and rear panels. :)

The 754 Clawhammer is dead !!!!! :huh:

Long live the Opteron 180 dual core :lol:

My cheepie "put-me-on" PSU has popped. It took my MoBo, Ati radeon X1950 pro 512 with it :D

So !-------

Bought a coolermaster 750 modular PSU, ASrock 939 dual sata2 MoBo as its ddr1 so I can re-use my old XMS pro l and it has AGP,PCI and PCIE so its good for upgrading. Started looking for an Opteron 939 server dual core. They clock straight to 3ghz with a 2mb L2 cache. There really cheap for now and will do untill I do the biggie upgrade :D

Anyone want to buy a clawhammer 3700+ cheap !!! :D

I will post pics when I rebuild. Has anyone else done anything with there rigs since last time ?

i started this thread! no idea how you stole it off me. ;)

mine:

Sony vaio VGN-NR38M

2GB RAM

250GB hard drive

2 Ghz processor

windows vista

I think there was a thread ages ago. I'm not sure if there are many PC nuts on here though!

Anyway, I've still got the same Dell M90 laptop, bought it last year and it's still pretty decent.

6cdeb5ae.jpg

Core 2 duo @ 2ghz

2 gig ram

Nvidia Quadro FX 3500M 512 meg graphics card

1920x1200 wuxga screen

Rest is pretty normal laptop stuff :D

My home desktop runs Linux, Ubuntu 8.04, which is a very cool operating system.

My work PC is a custom built unit for running CAD software and handling large 3D files:

2x Amd duel core processors @ 2.6 ghz

Win XP x64 edition

32 gigs of ram. Yes, 32. ;)

Nvidia Quadro FX 5600 graphics card with 1.5 gig video ram.

Sadly that one doesn't belong to me ;)

Well, I have about 5 working machines at the moment, and at work I'm responsible for 300+ more (the blades are my favourite), but this is my current personal fave:

dscn0633wy5.th.jpg

Asus EeePC 4G. 2GB RAM, boots linux in under 10 seconds. Helped me learn linux/unix for work, and is brilliant for travelling.

Mac Mini 1.4Ghz (PPC) that I got off eBay as 'not working' for 80. Turns out that the VGA output is bust, but it works perfectly from the DVI...

I hadn't looked until today.

Sony Vaio VGN-FZ31M

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250

Enhanced 2GHz technology (OK, whatever)

200 GB Hard Drive

15.4" WXGA

Blu Ray Disc and DVD recorder

Some other letters I can't seem to get in the right order.

There is a slot on the side which says HDMI, I guess that is something to do with TV. I will say this, the case is beautiful metal.

I miss my old BBC Model B

Paul.

I miss my old BBC Model B

If we're talking retro kit, I have a BBC, a Spectrum and a C64. An original Macintosh and a 1990 386sx laptop with a 20mb hard disk - cost my Dad over 2000 at the time!

I used to be really into the whole custom PC thing ...

img26162_20112008200706_2.jpg

img26162_20112008200706_5.jpg

img26162_20112008200743_1.jpg

img26162_20112008200743_2.jpg

img26162_20112008200743_5.jpg

... but my current PC is a bit more mundane. I built it in early March this year on a very tight budget – I don’t think I’ve got two components the same brand :unsure: - Aerocool CoolView tower case, Gigabyte mobo, GeForce 8600 GT GPU, Intel Conroe 1.8ghz CPU (cranked to 3ghz most of the time), 250gb Maxtor HD, 2x LG DVD-RW drives, G.Skill 2GB dual channel RAM, Win XP sp3, Hiper PSU, HP 19” panel, Dell KB, MS mouse, Epson printer & scanner, Netgear router, Creative 5.1 speakers …

img26162_20112008200706_2.jpg

Chieftec case with a Commodore logo on it?!?

I used to be really into the custom PC thing as well, but since I started working in IT full time all I want is a simple, fast machine to come home to and for it to work 100% of the time. Overclocking, spending silly money on components that aren't guaranteed to work together just doesn't interest me any more. I'd much rather spend that on my Tamiyas!

... Chieftec case with a Commodore logo on it?!? ...

Yeah, well it had an Amiga A1200 in it (+ an Amiga PSU grafted into a customised PC PSU case, 2 FDDs, an HD & maths coprocessor/RAM expansion board), so it seemed appropriate ;)

... Overclocking, spending silly money on components that aren't guaranteed to work together just doesn't interest me any more. I'd much rather spend that on my Tamiyas!

I think that sums up my feelings too :unsure:

It was just so frustrating to spend 2k on a computer, and it would fall over 3 times a day. Then six months later you have to spend over 400 on another graphics card because the latest game won't play.

Now I just wait a year or so, and I can play those games on far cheaper hardware, or even just on the Xbox or Wii.

I like my computers to work, and my cars (full size and scale) to tinker with. When you fix them all day at work, coming home to fix them is just rubbish. I've had to buy a t-shirt that says "No, I will not fix your computer" to wear to family occasions or I get roped into that as well.

My Rig

MSI Platimum mother board

Dual MSI 8800GT's

4gb ram

1.2 TB of HD space

Coolermaster case

Vista 32bit

Up until changing my main board (previous one became faultly) I haven't had any problems with software, since changing the main board I can't play opengl games. I do not see why people hate Vista so much, it seems perfectly fine to me and I'm yet to come accross a program that won't work because of Vista

My Rig

MSI Platimum mother board

Dual MSI 8800GT's

4gb ram

1.2 TB of HD space

Coolermaster case

Vista 32bit

Up until changing my main board (previous one became faultly) I haven't had any problems with software, since changing the main board I can't play opengl games. I do not see why people hate Vista so much, it seems perfectly fine to me and I'm yet to come accross a program that won't work because of Vista

me to, there is nothing wrong with vista and it is way better than the stone aged XP.

me to, there is nothing wrong with vista and it is way better than the stone aged XP.

I'm sorry, but that is absolute *****.

Vista is just a pretty front end to what is basically an upgraded NT4.0 kernel. They've changed a lot of stuff for the sake of changing it, and I don't know a single business who would be happy to switch. XP works, pure and simple. It was ropey to begin with, but now on SP3 it's a very reliable and stable OS. For a business - I.E. people who need their machines to work 100% of the time, on what is usually cheaper hardware, and don't care about frilly visual effects, XP is the best choice. It's compatible with loads of hardware, software and plugins, and doesn't drain system resources.

At home, I run around 5 machines - two of which have Vista. One was running XP very stable beforehand, and one was purchased new with Vista on it. Both are now up and down like a whore's drawers. I'm lucky to get 3 days uptime when it was into months on XP.

Basically, Windows 7 will be what Vista was supposed to be. All the stuff from Longhorn that got dropped - including WinFS so I believe. Every survey I've seen has shown businesses waiting until Win7 before upgrading from XP.

I have three powermac g4's, a 500, 400 and a 733. The ' daily runner windtunnel' 500 is currently set up with 1.5 g of ram, 3 HD's (620 G total) and a ATI radeon 9000 pro.

, the other two are used for simple networking/servers etc. Still, i'm selling them all to upgrade to a nice dual g5, those are just that bit more faster. (and I love the design)

The 8-core xeon's are just brilliant, as a graphic designer i use them in the studio were I work, absolutely great workstations. But horribly expensive.

I did like all those games and apps on me old XP pc (my pc these days is a dedicated rebirth machine now :D ), but is true, the simplicity, design and easyness of mac make's you never look back. And then you go out and buy a playstation/xbox/Wii or whatever (man I MISS colin mcrea rally, so PS2 or xbox for me :blink: )

I'm sorry, but that is absolute *****.

Vista is just a pretty front end to what is basically an upgraded NT4.0 kernel. They've changed a lot of stuff for the sake of changing it, and I don't know a single business who would be happy to switch. XP works, pure and simple. It was ropey to begin with, but now on SP3 it's a very reliable and stable OS. For a business - I.E. people who need their machines to work 100% of the time, on what is usually cheaper hardware, and don't care about frilly visual effects, XP is the best choice. It's compatible with loads of hardware, software and plugins, and doesn't drain system resources.

At home, I run around 5 machines - two of which have Vista. One was running XP very stable beforehand, and one was purchased new with Vista on it. Both are now up and down like a whore's drawers. I'm lucky to get 3 days uptime when it was into months on XP.

Basically, Windows 7 will be what Vista was supposed to be. All the stuff from Longhorn that got dropped - including WinFS so I believe. Every survey I've seen has shown businesses waiting until Win7 before upgrading from XP.

i have had vista for a while now and NOTHING HAS GONE WRONG WITH IT.

starts first time every time, goes from off to ready to use in 20 seconds and it looks great.

i hate going into school and using XP, its so boring!

Being part of large gaming community i hear nothing but whine for Vista, ill stick with pikey XP and be happy :D

starts first time every time, goes from off to ready to use in 20 seconds and it looks great.

Firstly, unless you have spend around 5k on your rig, I refuse to believe that.

Secondly, you can make XP look exactly the same as Aero.