i'd join in, but i've already got TWO willies in my avatar - one usually offensive, the other less so :D

This is like the 'moderation' thread all over again...!

Quite simply, there must be a line drawn somewhere as to what is acceptable and what is not, else we'd end up with all sort of junk or inappropriate avs. That line is that the av must be r/c related and not be construed as offensive or defamatory. How simple can it get...?

Bangstick - I genuinely do see your point. The knee-over av, I am sure is great. I too would love to change my av each week to something different. Perhaps one that like your bike one, shows me engaged in one of my other hobbies - me on track in my RS500 perhaps, me downhilling on my mountain bike, me lying in a crumpled heap after crashing while downhilling my mountain bike, whatever. Simple fact is, the r/c related rule just makes it easy for everyone. As soon as you allow some form of ambiguity into the rulings, there is automatically room for personal interpretation of what is acceptable. The line is drawn very much on the safe side and we just have to live with it. I for one am cool with this as at the end of the day, it's an r/c site so let's keep avs r/c related. There's enough scope in the "Anything not r/c related" section to allow for pics of you on your bike, me crashed against a tree etc.

As for Chris 'flexing his power' over us, this really couldn't be further from the truth. I am not sure whether you have met Chris or how well you know him, but he's one of the most laid-back and easy going guys I know. I can honestly say that the rules that are set in place on the club are either to protect the integrity of the club and safety of it's members (ie: nothing that they can get sued for / shut down etc) or to make Chris and the mod's life bearable when it comes to operating the club and forums, nothing more.

As I said on the 'moderation' thread last week, we are dealing with toy cars here. Kids like toys cars and therefore the forum has to be kid friendly. Your pic of the bike could well be one step away from something that someone (not everyone, for sure) would deem inappropriate. For example, you post your bike pic and someone else thinks that bike pics are acceptable. They post a pic of a bike they like on display at a show with a scantily clad chick on it. Sure, she's covered in all the right places and it's only a 100px image anyway and therefore acceptable to the member that posted it (and prolly a whole bunch of others, likely myself included if she's fit), but frankly, we wouldn't want the younger members being exposed to that. It's a very slippery slope that the club would will not stand on at all rather than work hard trying not to fall down...

So, how about a pic of your bike with a closeup of a buggy on the tank...? :D

I like the way you put your point across Wireless, seems a little less hostile than the rest. I do see the mods point of RC based avs, my point was just that as every av is to be personally looked at and approved it would be easy to weed out any unsuitable ones. At the end of the day like others have said there are much more important things than going on about it, thats how it is so I will accept it. A few have said if you don't like it clear off, but after being part of TC for over 2 years it's not just as easy as that. Perhaps I should get along to the next Kidd bash and see what makes all the attendees so loyal and have exactly the same opinion. I see that to a point as you as mates stick together but after the way people have reacted to my comments it's not likely that people will be so forthcoming about putting their opinons forward for fear of the backlash.

Hi Bangstick. I'm glad that what I wrote made some semblance of sense...!

I agree on your point regarding the moderation of every av. Theoretically, it shouldn't matter what is posted as it all gets checked for suitability. I think that the moderation is just perhaps an extra layer of security (and one that perhaps maybe isn't needed, although not everyone is aware of the rules for sure so the debate is out on that one). I wonder how many inappropriate avs the mods get vs. OK ones...? That'd give an idea of whether the manual approval is required.

Everyone interprets post differently. I for one wouldn't like to see a member leave, particularly one that has been on board for a couple of years and not over something so trivial as an av, so the "like it or lump it" approach perhaps is a tad overly 'direct'. I say this as a long-term member and supporter of TC (member number 380 IIRC) but I have no say in the running or operation of the club, I'm not a mod etc. I just like the relaxed and informal forums and like-minded camaraderie that exists.

As for Kidd, if we get one this year, then go for it. It's a great event. You'll see that Chris isn't some power crazed nutter (although from some angles he does resemble Dr. Evil :D err, allegedly :P ) and that the TC bashes are people out to have fun and nothing else. It's just like the forums - lots of camaraderie, lots of enthusiasm and great fun, but without the mis-interpretation risks...!

I like the way you put your point across Wireless, seems a little less hostile than the rest. I do see the mods point of RC based avs, my point was just that as every av is to be personally looked at and approved it would be easy to weed out any unsuitable ones. At the end of the day like others have said there are much more important things than going on about it, thats how it is so I will accept it. A few have said if you don't like it clear off, but after being part of TC for over 2 years it's not just as easy as that. Perhaps I should get along to the next Kidd bash and see what makes all the attendees so loyal and have exactly the same opinion. I see that to a point as you as mates stick together but after the way people have reacted to my comments it's not likely that people will be so forthcoming about putting their opinons forward for fear of the backlash.

I would love to some day go to Kidd, the pictures after the event always look great especially the LB/Pumpkin races! I was at the 1st Kent Bash in about a year yesterday and it was cool too. Doubt I would be too welcome at Kidd though, no one likes a whinger ;-) It may seem like I am whinging to some but I am just a strong minded person who likes to put their opinion across as everyone has the right to do. It's only ever going to seem like whinging if you disagree to it, I could easily say the others are whinging lol

I would love to some day go to Kidd, the pictures after the event always look great especially the LB/Pumpkin races! I was at the 1st Kent Bash in about a year yesterday and it was cool too. Doubt I would be too welcome at Kidd though, no one likes a whinger ;-)

Of course you would be welcome, just don't whinge at the event...! Go with the flow, don't take it seriously and enjoy the atmosphere and camaraderie...!

It may seem like I am whinging to some but I am just a strong minded person who likes to put their opinion across as everyone has the right to do. It's only ever going to seem like whinging if you disagree to it, I could easily say the others are whinging lol

I too am strong of mind, so simply do what I do. When I disagree with something or fancy a moan, I just keep schtumm. After a few minutes the urge to have a moan has subsided as my mind is usually occupied elsewhere. In the case of the forum, it's another thread or at Kidd it's usually a race, someones car flying through the hedge on fire, beer or pizza...

Mmm. Beer...

Time for my opinions again............ :P

I would love to some day go to Kidd, the pictures after the event always look great especially the LB/Pumpkin races! I was at the 1st Kent Bash in about a year yesterday and it was cool too. Doubt I would be too welcome at Kidd though, no one likes a whinger ;-) It may seem like I am whinging to some but I am just a strong minded person who likes to put their opinion across as everyone has the right to do. It's only ever going to seem like whinging if you disagree to it, I could easily say the others are whinging lol

Everyone is welcome at Kidd. :huh: All of us at some time have had some sort of falling out with someone on the forum. The fact they (or I) disagree with you doesn't mean anything more than that.

The bottom line for me is that I see way too many threads complaining about how the forum is being run. It's a privately owned forum and we accept the rules or we go somewhere which has rules we prefer. Or failing that, set up a forum as there is plenty of software out there for doing that. Several members on here have done that to be able to post in ways / items which are outside of the rules here. I've thought of it, and until I do so I won't understand the full demands being put on the Admins here.

Don't see the point of getting personal against a single user who is posting much the same as others. To be honest, the first personal insult was aimed at Chris by you. :o Ryck could genuinely think what he posted, or have an issue with you. From the responses so far it's probable he simply believes what he wrote, as did the others who posted in the same way.

Just for the record, I don't know you or Ryck personally as I don't believe I have met either of you so no colouring of opinions there, same with the fact I have met Chris at the Kidd meets. Doesn't affect my thoughts about the forum regardless of my feelings (negative or positive) towards him. I simply happen to believe that the forum works well as it is and doesn't need changing (from a SIG and Avatar point of view).

Of course you would be welcome, just don't whinge at the event...! Go with the flow, don't take it seriously and enjoy the atmosphere and camaraderie...!

I too am strong of mind, so simply do what I do. When I disagree with something or fancy a moan, I just keep schtumm. After a few minutes the urge to have a moan has subsided as my mind is usually occupied elsewhere. In the case of the forum, it's another thread or at Kidd it's usually a race, someones car flying through the hedge on fire, beer or pizza...

Mmm. Beer...

Wireless is right. The Kidd meets are informal, fun and a bit mental (and sometimes chaotic). Come along and meet up with the people there. You'll find I'm short and inoffensive in real life! :lol:

All the best to all

Steve

"someones car flying through the hedge on fire"

Really ? Pray tell all :P This I have got to hear!

We've had a few through the hedge and a few gone up in smoke. They have not yet happened with the same car, but that's only because PurpleBugsy hasn't been to Kidd for a bit. :P

At Bangstick.

In reference to your own post and making a very valid point. I admit that perhaps the way that I came accross was a little direct and blunt whilst Wireless had a better manner is a point I will take on board to improve myself.

but after the way people have reacted to my comments it's not likely that people will be so forthcoming about putting their opinons forward for fear of the backlash.

As I have said before, I stand by my points and what I think. I have many friends on tc same as Im sure there are those that dislike me. But nor am I friends with my whole college but that doesnt stop me enjoying my time there. Which on that subject calls an end to this post as I need to do some work chasing my 3 A's at bath offer.

Best Wishes

Ryck

And Finally as a postive note.

On The matter off kidd, then should we meet there, then all that has passed before this point in my opinion is water under the bridge and shouldnt stop us engaging in the joint enjoyment of our hobby, that being Radio Controlled cars.