Sign in to follow this  
danuk

Can Milking On A Lexan Body Be Removed?

Cleaned up the black off the lights/windows on the Porsche 959 bodyshell and though very successful it has left a rough milky white texture in places.

Have any of you guys removed it on your kits? I guess a go with the polishing system used to polish model cars could work, sanding with progressively finer grades until 12000 is reached? Anyone tried this?

You used brake fluid or oven cleaner didn't you?

The milky texture is caused by whatver you used to remove the paint reacting with the polycarbonate. It attacked the plastic and it's not just on the surface but it has eaten into the plastic and damaged the material. The only way to remove it is to sand the plastic away until you get rid of it, but you will be removing a lot of plastic to get through it. Be careful though as long before the polycarbonate goes milky the chemical you used will strip the plasticisers from the polycarbonate making it relatively brittle.

That milking can also be caused by the original paint. If the paint did it's job right, then it will have etched into the plastic. So really this milking may be normal

I used Nitro fuel guys so nothing I shouldn't have! It could be the original paint, I understand what you are saying Shodog! It won't go away will it, so am I best painting the affected area from the outside?

If the area has a fairly even frosted finish on the surface then that will be the paint etching into it like it's supposed to. Painting it on the inside will make it disappear as it is just on the surface. You don't need to try and remove it as the paint will flow into all the pits on the surface and this will help key the paint onto the body.

If it is a patchy milky finish that is embedded deep inside the plastic then the only thing you can do is paint it on the outside.