Sign in to follow this  
vtgrrrs

Why Are You In This Hobby And Why Tamiya?

Hi, I was just wondering why you are involved in the 'RC' hobby? I myself am just starting in it so I guess I'd better give my reasons first. I always wanted an electric RC car 1/10 in scale when I was younger but never got one (mainly as my parents couldn't afford it) and so I guess it's a bit of nostalgia now at the age of 29. I must admit I'm intrigued at the competitive aspect of racing and also just the sheer fun of having a monster truck bouncing around in the mud (can't make up what I want first; buggy or monster truck).

Why Tamiya? For me I guess it has to be because of the way they look (characterful) and that they are the models I loved to look at in catalogues as a kid. A big plus for me is that I've heard their instructions seem to be easier to follow compared to others when building which is a big plus to me as a beginner.

Well, I've been a "car guy" since I was old enough to walk. I had Matchbox cars and Tonka trucks and all manner of model kits, so a model kit that moved under its own power was sort of a natural. I got my first RC car in 1986 when I was 13, a Grasshopper. I really wanted a Kyosho Pegasus, but the hobby shop guy steered me towards Tamiya, saying it would be more durable. I've actually owned many different makes, but I keep coming back to Tamiya (for the kit-building experience) and Associated (for performance and rock-solid reliability).

When I got old enough for real cars, my Grasshopper and Blackfoot gave way to a 1979 VW Scirocco that occupied all my time and money, but a few years later I found myself walking out of a hobby shop with a Manta Ray kit, and it all started up again.

These days, RC takes care of my "making something" jones, as well as feeding my love of cars in a way I can't afford to with the real thing. I'll never have a 60s Alfa Giulia Sprint other than the tiny red one in my living room, but hey, that's better than nothing. And strangely, sometimes I think I like spending time at the worktable better than behind the wheel. I'm a born tinkerer, so this hobby is perfect. And Tamiya is just about the only company making kits anymore, at least in an affordable price range and readily available in the USA, so Tamiya it is.

Because when I was about 12 I entered a competition to win a Blackfoot and didn't, but I wanted one so much it hurt! I used to cut the pictures out of catalogues and make collages of all the Tamiya cars. We just didn't have enough money back then.

By 18 I was working and racing but using Kyosho Optimas and Schumacher Cats (Cat 2000 anybody?) rather than Tamiya Avantes etc. Tamiya were a bit of a joke in the UK racing scene then.

I got back into it with a Tamiya Juggernaut 2 which has now gone just because I wanted to build something technical and realistic, Tamiya make the most realistic bodies I can think of though the chassis sucked! I have 3 of their 959s now and for a lexan body in 1986 it's simply stunning! Even now is there another polycarbonate body that detailed?

i dont drive a real car any more i wish i did as i had a 1984 opel manta gt/e that was tuned up a little bit (lol 400 bhp) but as i got a few points(ie banned)i stopped so i had to find a new hobby!i was well in to rc cars when i was a young un and when i saw the lunch box sat in my lhs window that was it i had to have it i now have 4 re re cars 1 tt01 and a orignal frog thats a ss looky likey.and no chance of getting in trouble with boys in blue just the other half.

I got into r/c in 1979. I was a motor racing fan and seeing the r/c racing was a way to get into a form of motorsport. The appeal was the engineering, as in you had to develop and make your own parts to get more performance out of the car, compared with today where you just buy the bits and bolt them on.

Just stuck with it ever since. Did national racing in the 80s until it started to get expensive, took over running my local r/c club in the early 90s and only stopped racing properly a couple of years ago.

As for why Tamiya - Dunno, wrong person to ask. I'm a racer (apart from TC meets my cars only ever run on the racetrack) so my collection is full of Kyosho, Schumacher, Associated, AYK, Xpress, Yokomo, etc with the majority of my Tamiyas having been given to me.

I'm into this hobby for the fun of it. The time you spend when building a kit and the sense of accomplishment when its completely done and running.

Why Tamiya? It's the only brand my LHS was carrying those times. For me, Tamiya kits will always be topnotch.

I was into R/C when i was a kid after getting a Subaru Brat for my birthday. Fancied to return to the hobby earlier this year, and just had to get another Tamiya. And I love tinkering with stuff! Always wanting to add bits a grease this and that, and stripping down to clean after a run out.

Whats its all about for me

i got in to tamiyas 2 years ago when i found the remains of my dads porsche 959 in box in the loft subsequently i found out about tamiyas neew cars and ended up buying a tl01 it was a great car but i have upgraded to hpi sprint now. i have 11 cars including a porsche 959 (thanks to my dad for that one) another wrecked 959 and wrecked sand scorcher and a monster beetle. i have rebuilt every one of my cars without any manuals and conidering i am only 12 years old i would say that is quite an achivment.