Sign in to follow this  
ryanbored

Duff/ Substandard Tamiya Kits?!

Guys- I know this might be a bit of a noob question, but Im just building a TT01 kit, and found a couple of the screws wont bite down. (Ill give the specifics if anyone wants to get that technical!) Now I have built quite a few Tamiya kits and never found this problem before and wondered if anyone has come across this on the TT01

Now Im definitely using the right screws, and not over-tightening them(they didn't bite in the first place) so wondered how to fix it? Do I just pour in a bit of thread lock and hope for the best?

Or use a slightly bigger screw that I have knocking about?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ryan

Guys- I know this might be a bit of a noob question, but Im just building a TT01 kit, and found a couple of the screws wont bite down. (Ill give the specifics if anyone wants to get that technical!) Now I have built quite a few Tamiya kits and never found this problem before and wondered if anyone has come across this on the TT01

Now Im definitely using the right screws, and not over-tightening them(they didn't bite in the first place) so wondered how to fix it? Do I just pour in a bit of thread lock and hope for the best?

Or use a slightly bigger screw that I have knocking about?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ryan

I've run into the same problem on the DF-02 that has an almost identical chassis to the TT01 (just mirrored). The funny thing is that some screws have perfect bite, and will tighten up just right every time. But other holes were total garbage, and never had any bite whatsoever. The funny thing is that all the problem holes are in the main chassis pan, with the worst one being the antenna mount hole. I even switched to a longer screw, and it still won't hold. I guess I'll have to start searching for slightly over-sized bits...

A quick easy fix is to put a drop of cyano glue into the holes on a cocktail stick or something similar and spreading it around the hole. Leave it to dry and the screw should tighten up. Don't put the screw in until the glue has dried though, you night not get it out again <_<

I've had to do a fix on holes in plastic which have got worn or stripped and the screw won't bite any more - cut a bit of scrap sprue and super glue into the hole, when the glue is dry, drill out using a small drill bit - get the right size by testing the fit of the drill bit in another hole.

Better to drill slightly smaller hole IMHO to ensure the screw grips well.

If the hole is a bit small for your scrap sprue you can always drill it out a bit till it fits or shave the sprue down with a modelling knife till it fits although take care with the knife !

Works a treat.

If the screw wont bite try putting some super glue in the hole and leave it for about 5 mins by then you should be able to put the screw in and the screw will make a thread in the super glue just becarfull you dont leave it in to long otherwise you might not beable to take it out.

the tt01 is a good chassis, but the quality is very low.

it's normal what you have experienced.

Thanks guys- I've sorted it now. I have some ever-so-slightly over size screws where i think the length and body is the same but the tread is a bit wider- worked a treat!!