Sign in to follow this  
MustangX3

Mardave Marauder Advice Needed :)

I am working on the restoration of a Mardave Marauder i originally planned to just tidy it up, but now it has many new parts fitted.

Recently i procured a new (original) body shell made from the usual white ABS plastic, but i am having big problems cutting the retched

thing! It seems to be made from much thicker material than my meteor shell, i have tried the usual hobby scissors, and a sharp Stanley

knife but these barley seem to cut it. It maybe because the ABS has become hardened over time but i don't know for sure.

So my question is whats the best way to cut this stuff and get tidy results?

HELP :)

I am working on the restoration of a Mardave Marauder i originally planned to just tidy it up, but now it has many new parts fitted.

Recently i procured a new (original) body shell made from the usual white ABS plastic, but i am having big problems cutting the retched

thing! It seems to be made from much thicker material than my meteor shell, i have tried the usual hobby scissors, and a sharp Stanley

knife but these barley seem to cut it. It maybe because the ABS has become hardened over time but i don't know for sure.

So my question is whats the best way to cut this stuff and get tidy results?

HELP :D

Dremel !!

They always were thicker than Meteor bodies, the 8th scale stockcar bodies were a similar thickness and tough to cut.

I would drill a small hole in one corner of your cutout, then use a dremel cutting disk from there, then use a sanding drum to clean the cut after.

Would love to see pics of the completed car, I had one back in the day, and it was a big day when we got to replace the foam tyres with actual rubber tyres !

Also, the Irvine motor wasn't great, but me and a buddy used to start it by turning a bike upside down and one of us turning the pedals by hand as the other tried to line up the flywheel on the tyre ! worked pretty well !

stulec52 I like the idea of starting the engine with upturned bicycle! thats a great yet simple idea :)

I will post some updated photos of both my Mardave Marauder and my Meteor as soon as i have finished cutting the shells out,

i must say my Marauder is looking very nice, since the photos were taken i have installed the engine (Irvine 20 ABC) installed a

brand new radio box, and am working on the shell. Check my showroom soon.