Daz82

Electric Vs Nitro

I know Nitro cars a potentially quicker out of the box than electric cars (some hpi's do 50 odd mph) but are those kinds of speeds attainable with battery tamiya's?

The thought of getting a Nitro does appeal to me but I have batteries at heart!

What do you guys think?

Say a TA-05 for example is it possible to be hitting 45-50mph with one?

It is totaly possible to get a TA05 up to that kind of speed. Admittedly you are looking at spending some serious money but it is possible.

The advantage with nitro is that you can get high speed at low cost. But there is a lot more maintenance involved with nitro cars. So if you not the kind of person that is into looking after you're cars then I wouldn't recomend one for you.

Tupers

The rc speed record is held by a nitro chassis - converted to brushless electric power. So as far as modding a car to its limits go - electric is faster than nitro.

Tamiya's very own 1/8 TNX 5.2 monster truck will do over 50 mph out of the box. I don't no what the speeds of tamiyas nitro cars is like though.

If you want a fast electric car, you will have to go brushless - which is expensive but you'll have motors equivalent to 7 turns that have no brushes to wear out.

Indeed standard out of the box Nitro is faster. But the upkeep of Nitro cars is a lot higher then electric ones.

One major issue with nitro is the adjustment of the engine. If you have a good engine you can adjust a lot. With a not so good one you have no chance of getting it to run as smoothly as you would like.

I personnaly love Nitro. Just sold my Truggy but for next season I will buy me a new one.

What nitro car are you looking at buying then?

Put it like this,

I could without a doubt get atleast 50+ mph out of one of my electrics. I would put my LRP brushless setup in my Surikarn, change my spur to a 68T 48pitch and use a 32T pinion. Add my Pro-Match 4200 racing cells for superior punch and I am thinking may be 60 mph is possible B) . Plus, if it were a drag race the Electric is alot quicker at the start than any Nitro motored machine. Before I sold my TG10 Pro with a O.S. 12CV-R, my cousin always spanked me on the start with his 9T TA04 Pro..

Of course, I would never try this..

Is a tough call. Is like comparing cat vs dog. Each has its good and bad merits and I would guess most people prefer electric for its ease of up keeps but the wicked sound and run time of nitro could make you change your mind.

Easiest is to spend some time at a local electric track and at a nitro track and see which direction you want to go. I think if your into RC you will eventually try electric if you are a nitro man and vise versa.

Also I would say "al"l ready to run electric will not do 45mph as they are entry level. The high end ones you will have to put it together yourself plus add your own motor.

i agree, nitro's have benefits and electrics have benefits.

but i took my ta05 fitted with a 12 turn quad mod motor and my novak GTX esc to about 70-80 kilometers per hour. i cant remember the gearing though, but one thing i must say is that after you cut the com and serviced the motor it would dyno at +-50000 revs and out accelerate almost any nitro on the track.

i would like to get a TNX or similar just for the pure, stop fill with nitro, heat up engine and go properties, no more charging and meticilous cleaning. (my electrics are normally almost stirpped after every run to clean them, almost)

i would like to get a TNX or similar just for the pure, stop fill with nitro, heat up engine and go properties, no more charging and meticilous cleaning. (my electrics are normally almost stirpped after every run to clean them, almost)

I thought nitro requires more cleaning due to the oil and dirt cling on spilled fuel? B) For nitro I use "Nitro car cleaner" spray, which cleans fuel mixed dirt nicely. I too like to clean my cars after each outing and store them clean :D . A good quality soft paint brush keeps my car clean. And depending which part of the world you live, I find using compress air such from a paint spray compress or buy a compress air tank and fill it up at your local gas station with air will blow dirt out any dirt from those hard to reach places and corners.

ps. don't forget the smell of nitro...is like bacon and eggs and coffee in the morning ;)

Is a tough call. Is like comparing cat vs dog.

you are correct - it is impossible to compare cat vs dog. Cats suck, dogs rock ;)

I'm an electric fan through-and-through. I had electric buggies and trucks when I was younger, I always lusted after nitro cars but couldn't afford them. When I was 17 I saved up all my work money and bought a Kyosho Sand Master - the cheapest nitro in the UK at the time. The day I bought it my dad shouted at me for waking him up with it while he was dozing in the greenhouse. After that it hardly ever got used.

If you live in a built-up area then the noise will annoy neighbours. If you bash in public car parks or dirt areas then nearby residents will likely complain and the use of RCs will be banned in those areas - whether they are electric or nitro. This has also been a problem near me where people have used dirt bikes on areas that were really good for RC bashing - these areas have now been closed for good and trespassers have been told they will be prosecuted, whether they're causing noise with a dirtbike, playing with a quiet electric RC, or just walking the dog (which is blatantly better than a cat).

Also note that most nitro cars don't have proper carburettors. This means that they need constant tuning as atmospheric factors (mostly temperature, pressure and humidity) change. Having a quick bash isn't the same as slipping in a new battery and turning it on - you need to fuel it up, fire it up, warm it up, test-run it, adjust the tune and re-test before you can get racing. Then when you've finished you can't just put it back on the shelf - you have to clean off all the exhaust residue and spilt fuel, which is messy business. Then you have to put it back in the shed, because it smells too much and accidental spills will ruin carpets and wooden furniture.

That's not to say there's no place for nitro RC - if you have the space to play without annoying neighbours, and the time to set them up and clean them down, then they can be great fun. Most outdoor RC tracks have nitro classes, where you can compete with other racers without worrying about upsetting the neighbours. They're faster out-of-the-box than almost any electric, they aren't restricted by battery charge times or cooling periods, and they sound and smell great. They just require that little bit extra time and effort to get any use out of them.

B)

What I usually tell pll that ask me the elec v/s nitro Q

With full batteries you are going to play. - not guarenteed with a full fueltank!!!

Jakes

With full batteries you are going to play. - not guarenteed with a full fuel tank!!!

Yeah- With a full tank I either break it or swear at it!

Nitro smells terrible

Nitro is unhealthy

Nitro is messy

Nitro cannot be used indoors

Nitro is not dependable

Nitro car bodies look like garbage due to gapping holes cut in them

Nitro sounds like nails on a chalk-board, so forget running anywhere near homes at night (police will show up eventually)...

PS: A guy on here is running a 3-cell LiPo and Mamaba Max 5700kv setup and gets a GPS measured 70mph out of his Dark impact (with hop-up rear diff and drive-shafts).

That last post sounded like me last year! B)

But not all nitro's are bad.

I'd recommend a tamiya tnx 3.0 to any nitro newbie. Tamiya have given it a seriously good engine. Mine has only ever failed to start first time on one occasion, because i'd flooded the engine. A quick turn over with the fuel line pulled off the carb sorted that out and off it went. I'd estimate i've used it around 60+ times now and nothing has worn out or broken. I just dont do silly jumps and stuff with it - respect them and they will last ages. My stock tnx 3.0 will hit 40 mph, and it gets there fast. Steer clear of traxxas crud and keep it tamiya and you'll wonder why you hadn't got one sooner ;)

I'm getting a tnx 5.2 soon - but i'm waiting for the gold edition one :D

Nitro smells terrible

Nitro is unhealthy

Nitro is messy

Nitro cannot be used indoors

Nitro is not dependable

Nitro car bodies look like garbage due to gapping holes cut in them

Nitro sounds like nails on a chalk-board, so forget running anywhere near homes at night (police will show up eventually)...

PS: A guy on here is running a 3-cell LiPo and Mamaba Max 5700kv setup and gets a GPS measured 70mph out of his Dark impact (with hop-up rear diff and drive-shafts).

I agree, my brother in law has 2 Nitro cars and gets very little usuable run time from them, Unless your experienced with tuning these it takes forever to get them right without the constant stalling or over heating.

They seems to me to be weaker than electric cars too, hes constantly stripping gears in the transmision, pinions and spurs. Its not due to missalignment as all looks right before a run. Maybe its just his Duratrax cars that arent the best but its totally put me off Nitro and to be honest the price difference of an electric car and brushless setup would easily pay back within months of buying Nitro, after run oils etc and the total lack of enjoyment would make me put it back in the closet.

Stick with battery, much more relaible, fun, clean and enviro friendly, noise friendly, many more places to drive it, potentially faster and just less of a headache unless you like a challenge, lol

Mark

Nitro power has gotten so popular in the past few years that a lot of companies have jumped on the bandwagon, and the quality is all over the place. Much more so than with electric, you truly get what you pay for. I have an Associated RC10GT with an OS .15CV engine that's as reliable and easy to run as any Toyota Corolla, but the same truck with a Megatech engine (half the price) was a constant source of frustration. If you take the nitro plunge, don't skimp on the engine. And never mind the "OMG 70mph!!!!" marketing nonsense; nearly every nitro vehicle will feel overpowered if you've never driven one before. Buy quality, not numbers.

Also remember that glow engines produce more power at higher speeds than electric motors, so the vehicle takes a lot bigger pounding in "normal" driving. You will break more parts and things will wear out faster. Vibration will loosen screws and when you crash, you hit a lot harder. And don't go nitro if you're not willing to maintain it. You can't just toss a nitro car in the closet until next time like you can an electric. You have to clean them, and you can't skip things like after-run oil.

It's a commitment, but if you take the time to get a nitro car set up right, and find a good place to run it, it's very rewarding. You're driving a car with a real actual engine in it, that makes cool noises, and performs like no electric you've ever seen. You can go as fast with an electric, but the "feel" is totally different.

I've had a couple of nitro "cars", a Traxxas Revo 2.5, bought second hand, and a Tamiya Nitro Blaster, they were both fun to drive, once I got them started. At the moment I own a TNS chassisied Lancia Delta Intergrale that I am hopping up, I find it more fun to be honest building and hopping them up, as with all that I have owned. I get real satisfaction from building/modding/hopping up, I'm not as highly skilled as some, I wish I was, but thats life.

My advice would be to find out who locally has one, go out with him/her, and see it in action, and chat with them about it. Then if you do decide to buy one, you'll have some prior knowledge for when you go out with your own. Also once you find a local area to buzz around that is used by other enthusiasts, you'll be able to call upon there experiance for help if your car/truck/buggy has running problems.

Another thing for you to consider is what kind of driving you want to do, for me it's "scale" driving that I get the most out of, because of that, I get very impressive run times from one battery, you may or may not believe this, but I have been able to get over an hour from a single 3000mah battery with my F350 High Lift, try and get that from a single tank of nitro!!

I reckon I'd be more into Nitro if I lived in the US for example due to the space. I've had a lot of both, (nitros include Cen, Tamiya, Hpi Savage X) but sold every nitro and am sticking to Electric.

Nitro's are great when they are going (a bit like my TVR), but they are generally a PITA

Anti-social

Temperamental

Bust regularly

Sound rubbish

Very messy

Real pain to tune and get in tune

My last nitro was the Savage X. I drove 40 miles to run it just before I sold it and within 2 minutes a lug broke on the top of the fuel tank bleeding exhaust pressure throught the hole, and therefore starving it of fuel (exhaust gasses act like a fuel pump). It ran lean after half a tank was used and needed constant tuning depending on weather conditions. I just got so annoyed with it keep stalling whilst trying to find the correct tune for a certain day. At least with Electric - you turn up with charge packs and go.

I actually think that genuine 2 strokes petrols are the best like FG and HPI Baja, but you need a lot of space, and again they annoy people when running on beaches etc.

For me - electric is the way forward, but if I had land and space, a HPI Baja 5B would be ideal!

If you have time for nitro, I suppose they would be rewarding. Me, I tried nitro and found I don't have the time or the experience needed to get a nitro car running right. If you know someone who is good with engines, you'd have someone to run with and help you with it. I don't think the raw power and speed of nitro is worth the headaches they give. Now, all my friends are selling their nitros, so if anyone's interested in the Duratrax Maximum ST in my showroom, let me know. I sticking to my trusty electrics from now on!

Nitro 1/10 scale as had its day IMO.

As more and more people buy brushless this will bring the prices down. Brushless gives all the speed you need, and modern batteries can give you the run time.

However with electric ever replace the 1/8 buggies or those big 1/5th cars??

As more and more people buy brushless this will bring the prices down. Brushless gives all the speed you need, and modern batteries can give you the run time.

However with electric ever replace the 1/8 buggies or those big 1/5th cars??

Have you seen how much brushless has come down?

I remember when a motor for one of my fast electric hulls was 400, now you can get a decent 540 sized, branded motor for about 60. Cheaper on t' internet

the whole set up with electric will prob cost you about 25% more for similar speeds, but once you have all the kit, it's just a case of buying motors and ESC's.

If you do get a nitro, get a decent one don't go for a cheapo one, also use a decent fuel i.e Byrons,O'Donnell,Blue Thunder or Tornado

Do bear in mind that the fuel will cost you around 20-25 for a gallon

I have a TNX 3.0 and it's great, runs like a dream, doesn't need much tweaking each time (couple of clicks either way on the main needle and she's set)

But as many have said they're messy,noisy,smelly and can be a pain to clean

Get a second hand TG10 or TNS from ebay and give it a go, if you don't like it you can re-sell it on ebay and probably not lose any money

I have a TNX 3.0 and it's great, runs like a dream, doesn't need much tweaking each time (couple of clicks either way on the main needle and she's set)

Thats just like my tnx :)

They really are sweet trucks

I don't think Nitro 1/10 is over and done with. Possibly off-road but onroad is still going strong with a lot of new cars coming out all the time.

Me I personally prefer Nitro over Electric because of the sheer power out of the box.

Plus I only buy 1/8 scale. Which is allmost exclusively a nitro deal.

For my 1/10 cars I only buy Electric cars.

I got my first Nitro and it is easy to run. I dont have any problems with it at all. I have Kyosho Spada its 1/12th on road and very simple. Just start it and go.

The most problems i have are the batteries running out in the starter box. But as three people use it i can understand why it runs out soon.

Buy a starter box. They are about the same price as a cheap battery charger and it is so much easier.

really engine are pretty simple to tune. Just run it rich for a bit then lean it out. after its broke in. then when you are driving the car if it starts to run silly just put more fuel in it.