Sign in to follow this  
njmlondon

Tank Advice Needed

I have decided to leave the world of fast cars behind. I live in London where there just never seems to be a place to run them, and I have built enough of them now to want a steeper challenge...

So have decided to go into the world of tanks!

I have set my heart on a Tiger 1 or a King Tiger. Which one would you go with? I will be running my tank so wanted to know if there is any real difference in driving either of these and also how they compare to the Leopard, Pershing and Sherman?

I also want to build it to the highest spec possible. Apart from metal tracks are there any other hop-ups I should consider? For instance does it come with full ball bearings?

I am also interested in the Porsche turret version of the King Tiger. This is an old model so lacks the electronic wizadry of the modern versions. Would it be possible to put the Porsche turret on a modern KT tank and would it be possible to have full gun action (recoil etc)?

Finally I am planning on weathering it. Are there any links you know about that give good advice for this?

Any other thoughts, advice or wanrings most welcome!

Thanks

I'm not really a "Tank" type of guy, but I do have a King Tiger and Sherman. Both are full-option standard setups. I couldn't say which one I like best.

I like the Sherm because it is a lot smaller than the KT, very manouverable and just a lot of fun. The KT has the main gun recoil which the Sherm doesn't, and looks like a serious piece of kit when it is powering through the garden or down the hallway into the kitchen! I have a set of metal tracks for the KT but I haven't installed them yet, they are heavy! As far as I'm aware ballbearings are an option for all the tanks.

I have modified the transmitters on both my tanks to have "fire" buttons for the main guns and machine guns, and a lights switch for the Sherm. It means you don't have to fiddle with the trims to do these things and makes driving and firing so much easier.

I also have all the original non-full-option tanks - Sherman, Leopard A4, Gepard and King Tiger. These are great to drive but the sounds, flash and recoils of the full-options makes a big difference. Still do a bit of crawling with my original Sherm though.

I'm sure that whatever you get you will have fun.

I'm not really a "Tank" type of guy, but I do have a King Tiger and Sherman. Both are full-option standard setups. I couldn't say which one I like best.

I like the Sherm because it is a lot smaller than the KT, very manouverable and just a lot of fun. The KT has the main gun recoil which the Sherm doesn't, and looks like a serious piece of kit when it is powering through the garden or down the hallway into the kitchen! I have a set of metal tracks for the KT but I haven't installed them yet, they are heavy! As far as I'm aware ballbearings are an option for all the tanks.

I have modified the transmitters on both my tanks to have "fire" buttons for the main guns and machine guns, and a lights switch for the Sherm. It means you don't have to fiddle with the trims to do these things and makes driving and firing so much easier.

I also have all the original non-full-option tanks - Sherman, Leopard A4, Gepard and King Tiger. These are great to drive but the sounds, flash and recoils of the full-options makes a big difference. Still do a bit of crawling with my original Sherm though.

I'm sure that whatever you get you will have fun.

Hi there, I have a Pershing and love it to bits. It was a real challenging build and I really enjoy driving the thing. The only thing that got me slightly loopy is just how much is crammed into the hull and how trick some of the cabling is. Bluefoot, really intersted in your transmitter mods, how did you do that if you don't mind me asking?

Is real toss up between the Tiger and King Tiger. If I had to choose....I would pick the King because is a larger tank with more room to work due to my fat fingers and poor eyesight.

Not crazy about the American Tanks and the new Leo is like the Enzo of tanks, fast.

Can't comment if i would put metal tracks on the Tiger since I don't know if it will wear out the drive train faster.

Depending on which part of the world you live, the best condition to run your tank is virgin packed snow where your tank won't sink to its belly. Pack sand is not as good since the sand could get in and cause some damage.

Hi there, I have a Pershing and love it to bits. It was a real challenging build and I really enjoy driving the thing. The only thing that got me slightly loopy is just how much is crammed into the hull and how trick some of the cabling is. Bluefoot, really intersted in your transmitter mods, how did you do that if you don't mind me asking?

The mods are quite simple.

The way the MFU works is that normal running requires the trims to be set at the midpoints, and the normal functions operate within the "trimmed" range. The way firing works is that moving the trim and then the stick will take the pot to the endpoint. The MFU recognises the endpoint as the firing command.

To install a fire button you just need to run a wire from the middle connection on the pot and one from the end that the pot is moved to by the stick. These are connected to a pushbutton (got mine from **** Smith). (that row of *s should says D i c k. Too rude!)

If I get the time I'll put some photos and a wiring diagram up over the weekend.

Hi Guys, most interesting thread! I have taken a different route to most, I decided to go 12th scale and use a Hailaing Abrams crappy EBAY "Toy" and turn it into useable RC model. I just love "conversions! Don't get me wrong, 16th scale and Tamiya are the most popular choice, the best quality available and are here to stay, I love 'em, in fact the quality of Hailaing isn't anywhere as good as Henlong yet alone Tamiya but it really is true to scale! Best to think of the original Hailaing just as a bodyshell and some running gear. I have two 12th scale Tamiya Hummers and wanted the larger scale tank to complement them. I also am building a 1:12th scale "Deuce and a half" 2.5 ton 6x6 3 speed M35A2 using a Tamiya 1:14th scale King Hauler chassis as a base. Can you see a pattern developing here?

I found weathering very difficult, not because I didn't know how it was done, but because it really broke my heart making my new love and joy look dented, rusty and generally worn out! ;) Tamiya Buff colour washed over Tamiya Desert Yellow or Tamiya Flat earth over Tamiya Green etc works well or take a piece of wet and dry to your lovely new paintjob and rub like mad! :P Best tip is to stop when it looks right!

16th scale has plenty of military accessories to suit, including figures and even whole towns! 12th scale generally has only dolls house stuff except for the rather wonderful Plan b Toys action figure series which really suit the Hummers and Abrams. There is so much room in a 12th scale Tank that I have made a Tripact Speed Controller using 12v car relays that was originally designed to fit 6th scale combat tanks but fits in my M1A2 easy! After I complete the Deuce and a half I intend to fit a Paintball Gun to the Abram's turret, well I did say there was plenty of room! Whichever Tank you pick happy trails! :o

post-12440-1191565253.jpg

I have decided to leave the world of fast cars behind. I live in London where there just never seems to be a place to run them, and I have built enough of them now to want a steeper challenge...

So have decided to go into the world of tanks!

I have set my heart on a Tiger 1 or a King Tiger. Which one would you go with? I will be running my tank so wanted to know if there is any real difference in driving either of these and also how they compare to the Leopard, Pershing and Sherman?

I also want to build it to the highest spec possible. Apart from metal tracks are there any other hop-ups I should consider? For instance does it come with full ball bearings?

I am also interested in the Porsche turret version of the King Tiger. This is an old model so lacks the electronic wizadry of the modern versions. Would it be possible to put the Porsche turret on a modern KT tank and would it be possible to have full gun action (recoil etc)?

Finally I am planning on weathering it. Are there any links you know about that give good advice for this?

Any other thoughts, advice or wanrings most welcome!

Thanks

Tanks are fun,especially when you can replace components from websites like these.

http://www.afv-model.com/4711shop/index.ph...53aab34c67dd910

http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/katalog/

Axels has some very unique Schumo tank models,and AFV is awesome.

Befor you start your tank,check out these websites,it's much easier to add upgrades while you are assembling,instead of trying to do them later after the tanks finished.

For weathering,drybrushing is the best way to highlight features,I airbrush dust on my tank,tanks get filthy when they are in the field,if you build the Leopard 1 A-4,you can somewhat seal the lower hull by useing sheet metal the same thickness as the metal lower hull,this will help keep things such as grass out of the lower hull,AFV has rubber O-rings that seal the openings where the swing arms mount into the lower hull.

When I assembled my tank,I used Dubro allen head screws,replacing the screws provided in the kit.

I added head lights and tail lights,as well as making the Xenon search light functional,useing an HO flood light housing,with a AA Mag light bulb soldered to wires,then used shrink tube to make the wires look more like the heavy cable used on the actual tanks Xenon search light.

I used solva set to set the decals,solva set sort of melts the decal into the paint,after the tank was completed,I sprayed McDonalds semi matt photo laquer spray on the tank,this helps the enamel paint last longer,you can find this at any quality photo/camera shop.

I recently found figures for my tank,they are made by Tamiya,I bought them from Backyard Armor,the Leopard has a crew of 4,driver,commander,loader/gunner,and radio operator,I use 2 of the upper torso figures when I run the tank,and when I display the tank,I have the 4 standing crewmen standing in front of the tank.

The crew uniforms back when the Leopard 1 first was made,were OD green,not the Flektarn pattern used now,the crew figures were originally made for the new Leopard 2 tank by Tamiya,the detail of these crew figures is impressive,thats why my favorite model company is Tamiya,their eye for detail is unsurpassed.

The only complaint I had about the Leopard kit was the speed control,just one speed,way too fast for a tank,I used the old Tamiya reostat speed control,and used the kit switch for the light function.

I hope this will help you,the best way to see what tanks look like is google the particular tank you are interested in,then go from there,I have always believed that imagination is the mother of all invention,use your imagination.

Happy modeling