Sign in to follow this  
kontemax

Square Spike Tires

Hi,

I'm speaking about Top Force rear tires.

Having in my hands both rear tires have notice a difference:

Pin Spike 53-82-41-09

Square spike 53-82-41-07

The last number on the side wall of the tire is different.

Anyone as noticed it?

Tires dimension seems equal on both of them...

Any info about?

Cheers

Max

I have a set of square spikes on my new built Top Force Evo. I was told they were a hopup version of the pin spikes.

FYI: Top Force tires are not called "pin-spike". They are actually "spire-spike" tires. I say this because the term Pin-Spike actually refers to the old 2" tires from the Supershot, Vanquish & Avante cars... :D

I've never held square spike tires, but they are the listed Hop-up rear tire for the Dyna Storm. Therefore, I would care to guess they simply offer better grip. Are the spikes the same depth on both sets of tires?

BTW: The rear Square-Spike tires are still available from Tamiya under the part number 9805537. They are the standard issue tire for the Sand Viper and Desert Gator, but no longer sold as a Hop-up option. Couldn't tell you why though...

Yes, that's correct, spire spikes tires.

The depth is the same on both tires. I used the square on my Dyna and noticed they are better on mud.

MAx

I am currently building the Neo Fighter Buggy (DT-03) and the stadard rear tyres in this kit are the "Tamiya Super Gripper" 53-82-41-07 (Square Spike). 

The spire spike tyres were discontinued a while ago and have been superseded by the square spike ones. I don't know why they would be any better really as they are almost identical but the squares do seem slightly more wear resistant compared to the spires and under heavy load I can imagine the spires probably 'bend' more where as the squares are more sturdy so they probably offer better grip.

I've personally spent months looking for a new set of spire spikes for my original evo and have only managed to find a half decent used set. I do have a brand new set of fronts I bought ages ago but the rears very rarely come up for sale and when they do people ask silly money.