INTEGRA FAN

Turbo Optima Mid Special Body

Hi, while planning for the process of reproducing the Turbo Optima Mid Special body OT-117, I discovered something interesting !!

The staring point is an original spare OT-117 body, I found that it has a half bubble in the front left section which Kyosho made to accommodate the rotary speed control servo horn for the Optima Mid Custom.

A big question mark appeared in my mind :P? Did kyosho make this bubble only for the Optima Mid Custom or it was there always when this body was first made for the Turbo Optima Mid Special ? and the answer was easy to find since I have a NIB Turbo Optima Mid Special, I rushed to my RC room to check it. I pulled out the body and ..................................... there was no bubble :P The OT-117 comes in 2 versions :mellow: the early no bubble version and the later Mid Custom bubbled version.

now this discovery stopped my whole reproducing process !! which version to reproduce :)

I'm leaning toward the no bubble version since it'll be perfect for decal application, moreover the box photo in both Optima Mid Custom and Turbo Optima Mid Special are showing the no bubble one.

what do you think guys?

I would go for the no bubble version, much cleaner lines and better to decorate as the Mid Special stickers won't fit properly over the bubble. The Kamtec repro of the body has the bubble on it.

As above, go for the no bubble version. Although my decals fit over the bubble pretty well, it does ruin the look of that side of the car abit

Thanks for your input guys, The servo horn might fit without bubble also if the servo was lowered via collars till it hits the chassis.

Well if someone is strange enough to want to put together a runner with the mechanical speed controller they can always get the Kamtec one.

Well if someone is strange enough to want to put together a runner with the mechanical speed controller they can always get the Kamtec one.

Yes you're right, thank you for your input guys

Hi,

I just completed this project :D The Real Turbo Optima Mid Special body (OT-117 version 1 the Original Shape without the half bubble), see photos below:

P1030435.jpg

edited2.jpg

P1030434.jpg

Of course the same was done also for the Optima Mid Custom :D

P1030438.jpg

nice work as always!

wish i had some old kyoshos to restore so i could buy some of those shells from you :D

nice work as always!

wish i had some old kyoshos to restore so i could buy some of those shells from you :)

You could always buy mine, Willy ;););););)

Yes these were just made, they are for the Long wheel base Optima Mid Buggies :

1- Turbo Optima Mid Special
2- Optima Mid Custom Special
3- Optima Mid Custom

they will fit the Short wheel base Optima Mid buggies (Mid, Turbo Mid, and Turbo Mid SE) but with some modification, see my old Turbo Optima Mid with Custom Special body;

DSC03076.jpg

DSC03079.jpg