Sign in to follow this  
Thadeez

Dyna Storm Speeds On Road, But Gets Stuck In The Sand?

I've had my Dyna Storm for a while now, and after being stunned by the driving capabilities on-road, both speed and agility, i took it to the sand. There i came to realize there is a very clear contrast between my new favourite Losi XXX BK2 Graphite, and this little fella. The Losi just gets everywhere, and fast. I mean, oof! I loved it since i drove off the first time! The Dyna Storm seems to have trouble getting to speed and the wheels just can't get any grip.

Is this just a tyre thing? I mean, the Losi tyres are of course a whole different story. They are engineered to expand like 200% when the wheels are spinning fullspeed. so logically i guess it gets its grip from that.

My guess without seeing what's happening is that it's either a gearing, or tire problem. Sand driving is VERY tough on motors, and does require you gear down. But most likely it's the simple fact that the Losi tire expands that causes the other to get moving again. The increase of diameter forces the rear of the car upward. According to Newton's 3rd law the tire will be forced down into the ground with the same energy thus aiding traction. Don't count out the Dyna Storm until you use tires optimized for sand...

Ummm, why sand? Obviously the difference is the buggies wheels and tires, I would like to see the same on both then run the Storm.. Still, the Losi is a better design and the Storm is quite old..

I call it like I see it!!!

Thanks for the replies, it does indeed confirm my suspicions. Why sand? Well, because i think it's the most fun to drive when there's a lack of tracks in the neighbourhood :blink:

I think i can make some vids of both buggies today, i'll post em here. later on, i'll go check what other tyres i can find to fit the Dyna. Perhaps some Dark Impact rear tyres would help.