ryanbored

High Lift...

Ok, well I've finally done it. Ive gone and bought a high lift!

(Yay for me, again!)

I would love your imput on what you'd do if you had one, or wish you did to yours. Basic requirements is it has to be a fairly capable off-roader, and as scale as poss, without being anal about it, as it's not gonna be a shelf queen.

Now my thoughts at the moment is re-body into some sort of Land Rover/ range rover and along the lines of a camel trophy. Or with the same shell go for the 'Army/ forces' look- so any thoughts/ links to shells would be appriciated.

If i keep the Ford shell then a de-chrome will be in order.

Either way it has to look mean, but scale(ish) Had a trawl thru the showrooms and seen alot of nice trucks, but just not sure what way to go.

God I'm so excited i might wee myself!

Cheers

Ryan

Nice one! Welcome to the high lift club ;)

The Highlift NEEDS 2.2 size wheels and tyres to be capable off road. Its too heavy and too low down to use 1.9 rims - the stock items are too skinny and dont provide enough surface area to grip in mud etc...

You'll also get stuck on the center skid plate with the 1.9's and the axles will also get hung up.

I'd also lift the axles of the leafs if you plan to keep the leaf springs using lift blocks. I run my truck with 3 leafs but i've unbent them a bit to make them softer. For serious off roading you'll need to 4 link the truck and use coil over shocks.

If you could find a 1/10 range rover shell i think you'd have a very sweet looking truck :D

Thanks matey- Could you possibly supply some links for me to have a look at- I'm a bit of a noob at this sort of thing, and bought so many wrong bits over the years!!

thanks

Ryan

in part of my mammoth spend the other night, i ordered another highlift to build a customish scale chassis for my hardbody defender!

quick pic of amazingly detailed body - also comes with mirrors, bumpers, steps and light buckets! oh and the best bit - a full 6 seat interior!!!! got this from a seller from the usa on scale4x4 - but they come up on ebay from time to time!

also put a pic of it sat on a cc, but you can see the size comparison of it with the 350 wheels!

newprojects003.jpg

newprojects004.jpg

newprojects005.jpg

personally i dont like the look of the high lift on 2.2 wheels

i have fitted an axle lift kit from hobbymaster (on here and ebay), removed the rear steer, locked both difs and thats about it - more than enough for my trailing needs!

urm, please ignore all the dust on the above pics!

banned the wife from dusting the cars as she normally breaks them! :D

Thanks matey- Could you possibly supply some links for me to have a look at- I'm a bit of a noob at this sort of thing, and bought so many wrong bits over the years!!

thanks

Ryan

As far as lift kits go Tamiyaclub member "the hobbymaster" made these earlier this year - but i dont think he makes them anymore. These pics might give you an idea of whats involved though:

getuserimageasptidimg2088_200520072.jpg

Lift Blocks and rear steering lockout mod

Rear body lift

Front body lift

The stock rear steering locking method isn't as effective when lift blocks are added to the axles. To get around the problem I mounted links from the steering knuckles straight to the lower bolts through the axles - you'll see the stock setup when you build your truck. I've now modified the front steering linkage too, as the stock setup uses a rod with a bend in it, which sits on top of the axle. If you use lift blocks the steering linkage can clear underneath the leaf springs, which is nicer than having a weird bent rod sitting on the axle.

Wheels in 2.2 size are being made by everyone now, as long as its got a 12mm hex fit they'll work with a lifted high lift :D Just look for 2.2 size rc rims on the net and you'll find a huge selection!

don't forget there is always the larger 1.9 rock stompers rc4wd is coming out with i think they are 4.25inches tall

The 90 looks sweet. Any idea what make it is?

its just from a discountinued cheap toy, they do crop up from time to time!

and yeah it is, im chuffed with it!

its just from a discountinued cheap toy, they do crop up from time to time!

and yeah it is, im chuffed with it!

Ah ha, I have one of them somewhere.

Ryanbored - In a few weeks time I'm almost certainly going to be selling a chrome Monotuned F350 chassis with a Junfac chassis lift kit (I'm planning on buying a whole new Junfac chassis set up) If you're interested give me a shout.

Its the one from my F350 here http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...94&id=14440

argh!- I'm on beans on toast this month already.... (and already spent next month's wages!)

So if someone wants to send me a tin of spaghetti hoops, just for the variety feel free :(

Actually just dug it out. I've got the cheapo LR experience RC one. Nowhere near as detailed as this one. Might just get the hpi. Any idea's how that'll fit the txt-1?

blakeatron You've got ali dampers in one of your pics- Is this a worthwhile hop-up? or just for looks?

Hi BLAKEATRON - what company manufactured that defender body? And do you know if anyone still sells it?

Hi BLAKEATRON - what company manufactured that defender body? And do you know if anyone still sells it?

its just from a cheapo toy - no name or numbers on it! they do crop up from time to time - check evrywhere!

its just from a cheapo toy - no name or numbers on it! they do crop up from time to time - check evrywhere!

This is the common one, but pants in comparison.

defender2.jpg

firstly make sure you ballrace it, it a pain to take apart after, you'll also need a high torque servo for the steering along with a good servo saver, if using hpi 2.2" wheels like i did you will need some tg10 axles there longer otherwise the wheel nuts only just go on the axle and after a little running they come off, deff lock the rear axle and maybe the front aswell, this can be done whilst your out though so just try the rear to start, you'll also need a good esc with a good bec amp rate mine had 6amp bec and 120amp rating for power, lrp ai pro 10turn. i also went for yokohoma geolander tyres. see my showroom for picks, i did fit the hobbymaster lift kit too. i have since sold mine but i regret it ever hour of the day.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...80&sid=3622

showroom pictures and full details.

i used the following

futaba s9350 high torque servo

tamia high torque servo saver

futaba 4ex 4ch 40mhz radio

hpi chrome 2.2 wheels with yokohoma geolander tyres

lrp ai pro reverse 10t limit esc

2 sets of tg10 stub axles

lift kit (only body lift used)

I couldnt agree more with TM, definetly lock the rear diff it totally transforms the Hilift. As does fitting 2.2"s, its ok on 1.9"s but its a bit low, on the bigger wheels n tyres it`s a whole different truck.

The metal axles are nice there is no denying that, but unless you completely rag the stock axles I personally wouldnt bother.

My Hilift, http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...0&sid=17608

My Hilift on a video of theClumber meet last week, http://www.tamiyaclub.com/moviecomment.asp?id=2811&uid=

hello! first post in here.

well i just ordered a high lift and i am really excited about it :blink: . now i need an esc and since the truck pretty much emptied my pockets, i might go with tamiya teu-01. is this ok?

thanks and i will probably have many more question when i start building my truck.

ernest

hello! first post in here.

well i just ordered a high lift and i am really excited about it :P . now i need an esc and since the truck pretty much emptied my pockets, i might go with tamiya teu-01. is this ok?

thanks and i will probably have many more question when i start building my truck.

ernest

Welcome to the club!

The teu 101 bk esc is tamiya's budget esc that comes with most kits nowdays. Although its a very good quality esc, they are fairly weak when it comes to adding faster motors. But the other problem is, the highlift is a heavy truck, so it demands more from the esc even with a stock motor. Tamiya recommend the teu 302 bk esc, which is a heavy duty esc that suits the truck perfectly.

I've got an Mtroniks Viper RV11 esc in my truck, which can be found on ebay for a little as 30 (they retail at over 50!)

I've heard of a few people using the 101 bk's and had problems with them over heating. So its well worth going for one with a better specification that will last forever.

Also, incase you haven't already, get a full set of ball bearings for the truck. Its way to heavy to roll on the stock metal bushings, the axles will wear down badly unless you ballrace it :blink:

ok thanks, i'll keep that in mind and will start looking for another esc. as for the ballbearings, i ordered a set from stella as i think it is pretty much a requirement nowadays.