Sign in to follow this  
Rogueraven

Shocks/damper

Whats the difference.

TRF Damper set (53571)

C.V.A Mini Shocks (53619)

Low Friction Aluminium Dampers (53155)

Alloy Oil Shock Dampers (Hobbysave Ebay)

other then the price. can anyone tell me any difference in performance ? or advise which set to get

TRF Dampers win hands down for smoothness and adjustability.

The low friction aluminium dampers are, as it were, a generation before the TRF dampers. They are not as plentiful as TRFs in the marketplace, sold only as a pair NIP AFAIK, and are more expensive than the TRFs due in part to their "vintage value". These dampers, like the CVA dampers, rely on different thickness collars for spring adjustment whereas the TRFs use a fine threaded collar for adjustment.

The CVA Dampers are the black plastic items usually found in kits that boast oil filled dampers (except top end touring car chassis :lol: ). They work and they are cheap to buy.

I can't comment on your 4th choice.

The bling factor :) : You can trick up your TRFs with a variety of colours with Tamiya aftermarket top and bottom caps, and spring retainers if you are lucky. As well as gunmetal, I have red, blue, green, and gold TRF dampers.

Depends entirely what you are planing to do.

Racing - TRF is gr8 if you are serious,

tho bashing espically off road and they will get all scratched and you might as well use the super cva ones that are 90% as gd but much cheaper as well.

low friction dampers they are very similar to the TRF ones and your 4th option can we please have the link?

as there are non tamiya brands that do gr8 alloy shocks as well as those more suited to bashing like the 12 GPM ones :L

cheers Ryck

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alloy-Oil-Shock-Damp...1QQcmdZViewItem

general will use car for racing however i will adjust for drifting every now and then

Well as you will be racing I would say get some TRF shocks if your budget will go that far. If not then there shouldnt be a great deal between the tamiya Cva mini shocks and those hobbysave ones.

Cheers Ryck

looks like i'll get TRF.

the TRF set with white spings? these white springs same as white springs in the On-Road Tuned Spring Set 53440 ?

Honestly I dont know, for what car are you planning to use these shocks on? off or on road?

it should say on the listing if its a stiff or soft spring. Also note that the oil you use will have a big effect on the damping as well.

Cheers Ryck

looks like i'll get TRF.

the TRF set with white spings? these white springs same as white springs in the On-Road Tuned Spring Set 53440 ?

The white springs in the special blue set are the same as the yellow springs in the 53571 set, ie medium. The whites have a tiny yellow spot on one end. The whites in 53440 are extra hard.

The white springs in the special blue set are the same as the yellow springs in the 53571 set, ie medium. The whites have a tiny yellow spot on one end. The whites in 53440 are extra hard.

Thanks will buy 53440 for the extra hard set