Gravel-Hounda

Wild One Gearbox Transplant

Hi all.

Well after spending most of the past five days trying to figure out why my Wild One's gearbox has issues, I've given up. Never been beaten by a R/C car yet, but my all time favorite Tamiya has done it. Over the last five days I've taken the gearbox apart so many times, I've lost count. Started off fine, the day I got it I put in an ESC and Sport Tuned, no worries. Then all of a sudden along came the most horrible sound I've ever heard. I wasn't doing anything rash, I was just cruising `round my back garden.

I did notice that the internal spline of the left & right bevel gears is a little worn. But to fix that problem I forced some heat-shrink tubing over the two Short Joint Shafts, seems to work but still get the horrible noise coming from with-in. It's sounds like the left & right bevel gears aren't meshing properly with the small bevel gears inside the differential spur gear. All the correct parts are in there, apart from the 'usual 850 brass bushing plastic spacer replacement'

I have ordered some re-re Frog Universals, but I doubt wether that will be the cure.

I can now say that the only other option is to put it on the shelf, (which as most of you know is not really a option with me) or to replace the intire gearbox inners, (I'm sure my local hobby shop will have some 22year old WO parts lying around :) ) or to try some type of transmission transplant, as seen at this link............http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=3614&id=456 If anyone knows what transmission has been transplanted please let me know.

Please help, I love the Wild One and it seems a shame that it's let me down.

Cheers'

Del

if your gearbox is ballraced fit a 850 size brass bush on the right forcing the diff together, i have similar problems with my fav, re-re frog parts on rear are a good idea, ive done it myself, biggusditchus has mounted a falcon gearbox on his wildone with good results using some small metal brackets.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38799

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=38560&hl=

Hi,

don't dispair! :D

It's quite fixable. Do a search and you will see previous postings on this, find the one where I have previously posted in. I gave a very easy and detailed solution using simply a washer and a white plastic bearing/bush slightly filed. I use my WO extremely often with 3000mah cells - but with std motor - and I have had absolutely zero problem with the gearbox since fixing it that way.

Basically all you need to do is squeeze the diff in tighter. It is a pain having to reopen the gearcase repeatedly so we understand!

Let us know how you go. Don't give up, it's easy.

:)

If the bevels are worn just replace them all with new ones, it uses the same gearbox internals as the Frog. If you are fitting Frog universals you will need to replace the diff outdrives with Frog ones anyway. You will get the best out of it by shimming the diff properly, add shims so the diff is a little stiff when turning it by hand and you will have no problem with it slipping. Replacing the plastic spacer with an 850 bushing or even an 850 bearing will make the diff more consistent.

The transplanted gearbox is from a Super Astute.

Well as it turns out, seems the heatshrink tubing has done the job. Ran three batteries thought the Wild One today after work, snapped some pics of it too. See latest showroom entry. Seems to be going fine, wether it's just a matter of time remains to be seen.

Going out of town with work next week, taking the WO and DG plus the camera, hope to get some good action shots. Hope to have a set of Rough Rider wheels and tires before my away trip, so I'll try and find a nice beach somewhere on the West Coast to get those "wow factor" shots. Sobeit I'll be by myself, but I'm used to driving R/C's on my lonesome, apart from when Renco5012 comes down to visit.

Thanks for all the advice and knowledge given to me on this topic, it's been printed off and put away in my " R/C playhouse" for future reference. :(

Del

sides of gearbox housing will bulge with time, always need to shim the diff together

and do give everything full bearings, don't run anything without bearings

Hi,

Don't give up on the Wild One !!

If you just want to run something a bit faster you can shim out the gearbox as people have suggested. You can also mount lots of other gearboxes in that space fairly easily - Biggus's Falcon etc - I've gone for the Re-re Frog gearbox as they are readily avalable and fit nicely - check out the following link :-

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...765&id=1846

Good Luck !

Mark

If I had a Wild One, I would consider an RC10 stealth gearbox and a set of rear A&L trailing arms. Probably take a bit of work, but it would make for an awesome upgrade for a runner. Add a set of 2.2" rims with modern rubber, plus a modern power plant for that cool oldskool look, but with modernized performance. Time Tunnel style. :unsure:

Falcon gearbox swap isnt too difficult and everything lines up nicely although I now have to unscrew battery door to get battery out.. not a biggy though... advantages is I now run a complete falcon rear end including the rear swing arms (much stronger than wild one)