Sign in to follow this  
Davewins13

Lunchbox Wheel Rub

Hi,

Does anyone know what I can do to stop my Lunchbox's front wheels from rubbing on the shock springs when I turn or reverse? I thought about repositioning the bottom of the shocks closer to the chassis but not sue if it would cause other problems and I can't figure out how to connect it up.

Any help, advice and pics much appreciated.

Regards

Dave

the reason it does that is because the springs are too weak. You could put a preload tensioner ro even a zip tie around the top of the shock to give it some preload.

the reason it does that is because the springs are too weak. You could put a preload tensioner ro even a zip tie around the top of the shock to give it some preload.

THanks Shodog,

Could you describe for me where to position the cable ties and how this helps? Any pics you might have would be handy too.

Cheers

I would guess you compress the spring down, with leaving the shock at full length. Place the tie wrap / zip tie around the top of the shock that is now exposed.

A little bit of fuel tubing on the bottom of the shock shaft limits the travel.

props to twisty and butler, both good suggestions. I gues the best fix would be a set of oil filled dampers. I used a set of losi jrx dampers on my pumpkin

img34_411200395657_4.jpg

img34_411200395657_5.jpg

I have tubing there already but it's the position of the springs in relation to the wheel that is the main problem. When I reverse the front squats down and the wheels show a lot of toe out which means the top of the wheel leans in and rubs the spring.

It's getting quite annoying. I will try some of the suggestions here and post the results.

All sorted, I think. I found a set of those little plastic clips (preload tensioners). Now they are on, the front end is much stiffer and does not rub.

Thanks to all for your help.

All sorted, I think. I found a set of those little plastic clips (preload tensioners). Now they are on, the front end is much stiffer and does not rub.

Thanks to all for your help.

if the plastic tubing is cut the correct length the wheels can't rub, but the travel it pretty short. But much of the suspension is in the tyres anyway. Glueing the tires seems to make them a little stiffer?

Also - the chrome shock bodies are different front and back. Might be worth checking.

if the plastic tubing is cut the correct length the wheels can't rub, but the travel it pretty short. But much of the suspension is in the tyres anyway. Glueing the tires seems to make them a little stiffer?

Also - the chrome shock bodies are different front and back. Might be worth checking.

Hi,

The tubing was the correct length at first but I wanted more travel. THe shocks are on the correct end. As I said I think it is sorted now. Can't use it though till I have overhauled the body, crashed it once too often and cracked it.

Thanks for your input

Dave